AuthorContent
Rosalia
Essex
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2001
3:43 PM

Post #8069

I have a 25 year old jade plant in my conservatory that is about 6 foot tall & huge! I ended up planting it in a builders "muck bucket" with holes drilled for drainage about 2 years ago while I & a couple of friends could still lift it. Now it's far too big & heavy to re pot. Although I feed it the leaves are now getting smaller. What do I do? I can't put it outside as I live in the UK & it will not survive.
Ros
Crasulady
Valley Village, CA

July 8, 2001
5:57 PM

Post #91971

Trim is back severly. Remove it from the pot any way that you can, trim off the roots all way around the root ball, clean out as much of the old soil that is possible, be sure to remove about 1/3 to 1/2 of the root ball and repot. Be sure to wait 2 weeks before watering, the roots need time to heal over. Tap the pot down on a hard surface to settle the soil. Now watch this plant grow and you enjoy. Norma
Rosalia
Essex
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2001
7:08 PM

Post #91992

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go. By severely do you mean back to v old wood or just halving the length of the branches
Ros
RaeBuckner
Noel, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2001
7:19 PM

Post #97227

Did you trim it yet??
Save the trimmings... cause Jade plants root easily.. and you could share them here on DG..

~RaeBuckner~
Lilith
Durham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2001
3:02 PM

Post #97707

is it a plain green jade or a variegated kind, i have loads of plain green and would love a different one. by the way, rosalia, you can root jades from even half a leaf, and one of mine which had a nick in the centre of a leaf which was still attached to the plant (think a cat bit it!), there is a baby forming, how cute is that!

lil
Rosalia
Essex
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2001
9:37 PM

Post #98956

Got lots of baby Jades (plain green)- some are several feet tall & I've given lots away - BUT - I want to keep the mother of them all alive & well. Just cos she's old doesn't mean she's not worth a bit of pampering - reckon she deserves it!
Ros :)
Lilith
Durham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2001
11:38 PM

Post #104263

how big is the biggest they get? and how long can they live??
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

August 3, 2001
2:57 AM

Post #104990

I have seen them eight feet tall, and they can live forever.
I mean to cut the branches to about 8-10 inches from the trunk, but please wait until Oct 1. Cut the pot open any way you can, you may need to use a branch trimmer, remember to remove the old soil and and at least a third of the roots. Hold up the water for a while until the roots heal over, then water thoroughly and let go dry until your first good rain. Watch for new leaves, these are the ones that will set the flowers for Christmas. It loves cold winter nights, just protect from snow and keep very dry in the winter until your weather doesn't drop below 30, in the Spring, water thoroughly again and fertilize. Out here in hot So. Calif. San Fernando Valley we do not water them at all if in the ground. Period. In a container that would be different. If you see the leaves starting to shrivel, then water again. You may want to toss a clear plastic drop cloth over the plant when it is raining. It must not get too wet after you transplant it, it could rot. Make sure the soil is in tightly, no air pockets. Please keep us posted. Norma
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

August 6, 2001
2:47 AM

Post #106216

Please report back on how your plant is doing. I would really like to know. Crasulady
Rosalia
Essex
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2001
12:15 PM

Post #106315

At the minute I am still looking for someone strong enough to help me lift it meanwhile i have been feeding it well & the leaves are looking better. Here's a pic I took just after Christmas a year or so ago - ignore the "red Cherries" they where just part of my Christmas decs!
http://members.aol.com/rosmwilkinson/images/jade.jpg

Ros
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2001
8:32 PM

Post #106539

Rosalia,
That is a real beauty. I would love it if mine bloomed. Again it is so beautiful it make me jealous. LOL

Diane
Lilith
Durham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2001
10:28 PM

Post #107069

how big do they have to be before they bloom? rosalia, thanks for the pic, i'm so jealous! it's beautiful, mine are only babies compared to that!!
Rosalia
Essex
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2001
10:27 AM

Post #107297

Mine was about 3 feet tall when it first flowered about 20 years ago. Loves this spot in my conservatory where it gets max light, cool night temps (min 10 degrees even in winter) & warm/hot day temps (can be well into the 40's during the day) Also seems to thrive on Miracle Gro .
Ros
Lilith
Durham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2001
10:29 AM

Post #107299

i guess that's why mine don't flower, i hardly ever feed them, they're prob starving!! i have mine on the bathroom windowsill, the sun turns the edges of the leaves red.

lil
Rosalia
Essex
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2001
12:19 PM

Post #107326

That's lovely. While I could still put mine out in the sun for summer that's what happened to mine. However in the conservatory I shade it somewhat ( there's a deciduous honeysuckle growing onthe outside of the roof ) else it would probably frizzle up!!!- so no red edged leaves. By the way a couple of years ago my daughters iguana (Eric) used to love sitting on the top basking like a fairy on a christmas tree. Trouble was when he reached 3foot or so he was strong enough to eat the leaves & he used to knock lots off clambering up & down. Luckily he's living up in Cumbria with my daughter now!!!
Ros :)
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

August 9, 2001
3:28 AM

Post #107770

You may want to cut the branches back first, then it won't be so heavey to handle. Lay the plant on it's side on top of a sheet or piece of plastic, then cut the pot to pry it open, now cut the roots, then perhaps it will light enough for you, to not lift but put into a new pot by slipping the pot uner the roots then lifting the plant up, the pot should come up with it. Now fill with soil up to the orginal soil line. You may want to top it or shape it at this time. I thought this alternative method might be of help. I have a variegated 'Jade' in the same container for the past 15 years, I just trim it and fertilize, cutting it back frequently to give away. I'm very small, so I keep the plants small enough for me to handle. I'm not allowed to lift over 10 lbs. They like to be crowded, what size container is this monster in? Crasulady
Rosalia
Essex
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2001
8:48 AM

Post #107805

An 18" diameter x 18" high builders plastic "muck bucket" with holes drilled in the bottom. Reason I bought it is that it has rope handles on the side so I can move it to clean behind. It's still difficult to move even though it's on a tile floor & resting on a sturdy square of decking with castors on the bottom that my husband made. You can just see it on this pic.
http://members.aol.com/rosmwilkinson/images/jade.jpg
Ros
pprice256
Ranburne, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6615898

Would you trade some of the babies..thanks Porsha
cactusloverlady
Menasha, WI

December 28, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #7403715

Hello everyone, I hope the holidays are going well for you. I was wondering if any one could help me with a cure for mealy bugs on my large collection of cacti and succulents. At this time of year it is impossible to move them from their current position due to extreme cold. It's not bad yet, but I'd like to nip it before it gets out of hand. Any suggestions. I've tried the know treatments but they always come back.
jamlover
Delhi, IA

December 28, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #7404095

I find that running a humidifier in the room with most of my collection helps to keep them somewhat at bay. It puts a gallon a soft water into the air each day, giving my plants a 'similiar to summer' atmosphere. Jean
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #7404844

Since this is a very old thread, it would be a good idea to start a new thread regarding your mealybugs. You'll get a lot more advice that way.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM
Epiphyllum oxypetalum is going to bloom tonight :) zameluzza 7 Jul 1, 2013 8:21 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America