-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2005
8:19 PM

Post #1916153

Our two favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes are both from the Cedar Crest Victorian Inn, in Ashville, NC. They published their own little cookbook, and I picked up a copy when we were there several years ago. Both the regular and the triple chocolate cookies bake up big & chunky, more like a "Mrs. Field's" cookie than like a traditional toll house cookie.

This recipe first appeared in the January 1996 "Cook's Illustrated." The dough also freezes well.

Jim's Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
(a double batch fits just fine in my stand mixer)

2 1/8 cups unsifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to warm
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. (one 12 oz. bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper and lower-middle positions.

Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl and set aside.

With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla.
Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop heaping tablespoons of dough on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 16 minutes at 325, rotating cookie sheets halfway through baking time.
(Convection oven at 300 degrees for 16 minutes, no rotating necessary.)

Cool for a couple of minutes on cookie sheets, then remove to countertop or
brown paper bag to cool until chocolate chips are set.

Makes about 2 dozen 3 inch cookies.

edited to add the proportions for a double batch, because you can't have
too many of these cookies... they go fast, and they freeze well too, either baked
or unbaked!

4 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled to warm
1 1/2 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 egg yolks
4 tsp. vanilla extract
4 c. (2 bags) semisweet chocolate chips

Yields about 50 cookies.

This message was edited Dec 9, 2005 4:31 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2005
8:26 PM

Post #1916169

In this recipe, the cookie dough is chocolate, and a combination of different chips and nuts are added. I made a batch this morning using 1 c. cinnamon chips, 1 c. milk chocolate chips, 2 c. semisweet chips, and 1 c. chopped pecans... and they were fabulous.

Jill's Favorite Triple Chocolate Cookies

1/2 pound butter, softened (2 sticks)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cups cocoa (natural or dutched)
2 cups (1 bag) white chocolate chips
2 cups (1 bag) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped macademia (or other) nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper and lower-middle positions.

Mix flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa together in a bowl and set aside.

With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Mix in eggs and vanilla.
Add dry ingredients and mix until nearly combined. Add nuts and chocolate chips, and briefly mix to stir them in.

Drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto two ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 14 minutes at 350, rotating cookie sheets halfway through baking time.
(Convection oven at 325 degrees for 14 minutes, no rotating necessary.)

Cool for a couple of minutes on cookie sheets, then remove to countertop or
brown paper bag to cool until chocolate chips are set.

Makes about 4 dozen 3 inch cookies.

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

December 9, 2005
9:10 PM

Post #1916248

Oh my, Jill, does that last one look to die for! Copied it down. Thanks!

This message was edited Sep 29, 2012 11:07 PM
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2005
4:44 AM

Post #1916805

um, um, um...do they sound good. I tell you what, why don't you make a double batch of each and send them to me (I'll give you my address) and then I can do research and see if what you say is true. :) (toothy grin)...Kathy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2005
4:56 AM

Post #1916814

So far this week I've made 3 double batches of the chocolate chip and 3 batches of the triple chocolate... and I'm still not sure that's going to be enough to go around the Christmas boxes we're sending out... especially since Jim keeps snitching them! :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2005
12:52 AM

Post #1918250

Since the chocolate chip cookie recipe calls for extra egg yolks, I often make biscotti afterwards, as my biscotti recipe calls for extra egg whites.

I use the "Classic Biscotti" recipe from the New Joy of Cooking, only I tend to fool around with it. I made two batches this evening, both quite different, and -- wonder of wonders -- they both turned out perfectly!

I had almond meal on hand, but I made hazelnut "meal" by pulverizing freshly shelled hazelnuts in my coffee grinder... no more than a dozen at a time, and be very careful that you don't over-whizz them, or they will turn into nut butter. With biscotti, while chunks of nuts look attractive, I've found that it's much easier to slice them if you use nut meal... that's also the reason to use mini chocolate chips!

I used some walnut oil just because I had it on hand, and I think it did add a wonderful flavor!

*Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti*

3 1/4 c. flour (King Arthur unbleached all purpose)
1/4 c. natural cocoa powder
1 c. Hazelnut meal, see note above
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. canola oil
2 Tbsp. walnut oil
1 1/4 c. sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl. Combine oils and sugar in the stand mixer bowl and beat on low speed until combined. Add extract and eggs, one at a time, with the mixer running on low. Keep the mixer running and slowly add the flour mixture, blending until well combined. Shape dough into two logs and place on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly (to half an inch, maybe a little higher).

Bake 30 minutes at 375'F. Loaves should be firm, cracked, and just starting to brown. (With my convection oven, I baked them for 35 minutes at 350'.) Remove cookie sheets from oven and allow to cool until warm, about 10 to 15 minutes. If you cut them when they are too hot, the slices will compact and become very dense and hard, but if you let them cool completely they will be impossible to cut. Slice loaves with a serrated bread knife, 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick. Slice at an angle rather than straight across the loaf to create nice long, slim biscotti.

Place the slices back on the cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, flip the slices over, and bake another 8 to 10 minutes. The cut surfaces should be crisp and slightly browned. Cool, and store in an airtight container.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2005
12:57 AM

Post #1918255

My second batch used the same procedure as above, but I varied the ingredients a little:

3 1/3 c. all purpose flour
2/3 c. almond meal
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. canola oil
1 1/4 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1/2 tsp. double strength vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. Fiori di Sicilia extract (citrus-vanilla flavor)
1 tsp. almond extract
4 tsp. orange zest
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2005
4:34 PM

Post #1935424

We made the Triple Chocolate cookies yesterday! Yum and Yum! Perfect combination of crisp and chewy! You have to laugh though. We didn't have any cocoa powder so we threw in 3 packs of Swiss Miss cocoa to make the 1/2 cup. LOL The cookies are awesome! These two recipes replaced my old one and are in my permanent Christmas recipe book now. :) Thanks!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2005
8:43 PM

Post #1935733

You're welcome! I'm glad you gave them a try. Everyone raves about them here, but it's not really the baker, it's just that good a recipe!
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2005
10:30 AM

Post #1937634

heres a good one from the food newwork
double chocolate gooey butter cakes

8 tbls )1 stick of butter) plus 8 more tbls, melted, plus additional butter
for greasing pan
1 18 to 25 ounce) package of chocolate cake mix
1 egg, plus 2 eggs
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
3 to 4 tbls cocoa powder
1 16 oz. box powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts

preheat oven to 350 degrees f
lightly grease a 13 by 9 inch baking pan

in a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 eg and 1 stick of butter and stir until well blended. pat mixture into prepared pan and set aside.

with a stand or hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. add the remaining 2 eggs and the cocoa power. lower the speed of the mixer and add the powdered sugar. continue beating until ingredients are well mixed. slowly add the remaining 1 stick of melted butter and the vanilla, conmtinuing to beat the mixtujre until smooth. stir in nuts with a rubber spatula. spread filling over cake mixture in pan. bake for 40 to 50 minutes. be carefull not to overcook the cake. the center should still be a little gooey when finished baking. let cake partially cool on a wire rack before cutting into pieces.

wabi
saugatuck, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2005
7:45 PM

Post #1944298

i cut the sugars in half and like to add double choc chips and walnuts plus orange zest to the toll house recipe. mince the zest really well after taking it off the whole orange and yep, you can add the orange juice into the dough, too.
i get a better 'bake' if i make the doughs up ahead and chill them overnight before baking...less overwhelming, work-wise, too.

this xmas i made 96 doz--
cc/walnut
cc/pecan/caramel
oatmeal/orange/rum raisin
soft ginger/mole asses

i haven't heard any complaints from the giftees, so i guess they were ok...LOL.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2005
9:53 PM

Post #1944482

If you use my recipes above, they seem to bake up best if the dough is NOT chilled... Chilled dough doesn't spread at all as you bake the cookies, and they'll turn out like little ping pong balls, albeit tasty little ping pong balls!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2005
1:01 AM

Post #1944774

I made Jill's Favorite Triple Chocolate Cookies today, they're an instant favorite! I didn't add the nuts because my kids won't eat them... and I added a bag of butterscotch chips to the two different chocolates... but fantastic! I think next time I'll do all chocolate... Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! The dough spreads wonderfully. I have a little pampered chef cookie scooper that I use, it looks like a mini ice cream scoop, but normally the dough stays kinda heaped up in the middle of the cookies when I use it... not these!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2006
3:54 PM

Post #2058236

Advice please! I made a batch of cookies again this weekend. We had Sectional Wrestling all weekend, so Friday night after we got home I made a batch to take with me on Saturday. This time the cookies didn't "spread" at all, they turned out like little rocks. They still tasted fantastic, but, I can't figure out what I did to this batch to make them come out like that. Anyone have a clue what I did?
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2006
4:19 PM

Post #2058304

I copied this off FoodTV sometime back. I hope it helps:

Cookie Chemistry
Food chemist Shirley Corriher has the cure for cookies that turn out too crumbly, too dark or too hard. It all depends on the fat and flour that you choose.
Fats
• Butter melts quickly, so using all butter results in a thin, crisp cookie.

• Shortening holds its shape, so it produces a fluffier cookie.

• Margarine, which is 80 percent milk product, and low-fat spreads, which use gums, are not recommended.
Flour and Liquids
• The way flour absorbs water or liquids affects texture and shape.

• Protein and acid help the cookie to hold its shape.

• Beaten eggs or sour cream can be added to flours to help them set up.

• Cake flour already is acidic because of its bleaching process.

• Bread flour and all-purpose flour, however, benefit from the addition of egg and sour cream. Substitute one tablespoon beaten egg for liquid and add a tablespoon of sour cream to help these two flours set up.

• To avoid crumbly cookies: Add one to two tablespoons of water to the flour, and mix quickly before adding other ingredients. The gluten this produces helps hold the cookies together.
Sugars
• The type of sugar can affect the crispness. For the crispest cookies, use plain white sugar.

• For a softer cookie, use honey, because it pulls moisture out of the air.

• For a crisp cookie that is soft the next day, use brown sugar.
Color
• For a dark cookie, add a tablespoon of corn syrup.

• Baking soda is often added to a recipe, not for leavening but because it helps browning, too

Linda
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2006
4:33 PM

Post #2058353

Flour can be variable as to moisture & gluten content, and even the weather (humidity) can affect things a little. I always bake a "test cookie" first to see if the dough is behaving right. If they spread too much, I add more flour, and if they don't spread at all, I add a little more liquid or shortening (a sprinkle of water or an extra dash of vanilla is often enough... mix in just a little and you'll see how much the texture of the dough changes). I'm sure I'm making it sound more complicated than it is...

These chocolate chip cookies do tend to be thick rather than to spread into "flatsies" but still should spread a little. If I want them less thick but am otherwise happy with the texture & appearance of my test cookie, sometimes I just flatten the balls of dough a little with the heel of my hand.

I had some real problems with my flour last year (was using Pillsbury, I think, which I'd had good luck with in the past, but maybe this was just a different batch)... I've switched over to using King Arthur flour, and it seems to work out much better batch to batch for about everything.

HTH!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2007
7:42 PM

Post #4250934

Have to bump this for those who have not yet tried Jill's Favorite Triple Chocolate Cookies. I should know the recipe by heart now, but came to look it up, just to be sure. :) This has become the favorite of many teenage boys around here, as well as several adults lucky enough to snatch a cookie before the boys eat them all. :)

edited to add, I switched over to King Arthur several years ago... I find the cheaper flours leave a floury taste no matter what I use it for.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2007 1:54 AM
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2007
8:26 PM

Post #4251046

thanks for the bump.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2007
12:14 AM

Post #4301771

I'm glad you bumped! I started copying all my recipes onto new cards. I just came to look for this, to make sure mine was right. LOL These cookies are wonderful!
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2007
12:43 AM

Post #4301872

I just made Jill's Triple chocolate cookies. The only changes I made was to use 1 cup each of the white and semi chocolate with pecans. It was great. Thanks For sharing.
Linda
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2007
12:49 AM

Post #4301900

Hi Critter,

I really appreciate seeing a recipe that gets raves over and over and over...!!!!! For this time crunched Mom it makes it more rewarding to know it's a guarantee! I don't think I've seen so many people like any particular recipe more than those here, so THANKS for posting the recipes, can't wait to try them!
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #4301913

I will have to try Critter's recipe there. I haven't found a CC recipe I like, I like them chewy - but not oily.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #4302026

Another bonus to these-it makes just enough to put one dozen cookies on each sheet. You don't have to keep coming back to take out, put in, switch, clean cookie sheets, etc. Each batch is quick and easy. :)
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2007
9:18 AM

Post #4303190

bigcityal - tomorrow i will post a recipe for cc cookies that i think you will like.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #4303394

Does anyone have a GOOD sugar free chocolate chip cookie recipe?
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2007
8:08 AM

Post #4306275

wabi- LOL, I think you need to edit your soft ginger/mole asses! LOL! No, seriously all of those recipes sound wonderful too. Please share- I have finally caught the baking bug. I used to be a baker by trade and refused to do it at home. Now that I don't do it at work anymore I miss it. Go figure...
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2007
10:02 AM

Post #4306317

bigcityal - here is the recipe i mentioned the other day

chocolate chip cookies
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly p0acked light brown sugar
1/4 cp sugar
3 1/2 oz. pkg vanilla instant putting (4 serving size)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
12 oz, package chocolate chips

combine flour and baking soda in a bowl. in a separate bowl cream the butter, sugars, pudding mix aned vanilla until smooth then beat in eggs. gradually stir in flour mix then stir in cocolate chips. drop dough by teaspoons onto a baking sheet. (12 cookies per pan) bake for 9 minutes at 375 degrees.

makes 6 dozen cookies
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2007
10:50 AM

Post #4306352

pluto, I did not catch this the first time around. Thanks for a good laugh so early in the morning.
I made Jill's Chocolate chip and it is excellent too.
Linda
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2007
1:43 PM

Post #4306590

Thanks Herbie - I'll try that one.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2007
3:41 PM

Post #4306947

I stumbled onto this site a few weeks ago
http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/cat0001.html

and since i have a "cookie exchange" this week [16 ladies in the subdivision] i was scrounging for a new recipe.

I made the Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Walnut cookies [recipe is in the 3rd column]
http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/rec2908.html

the family LOVED them ... so i made 4 batches!!

I found them on the "thin" side, but they were very good.

**edited to add direct link to the cookies

This message was edited Dec 19, 2007 7:53 AM
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2007
5:15 PM

Post #4307209

tsc, thanks for posting that recipe link! wow, I wish we could compile a list of all the great recipe sites others have posted on here in the past. I am trying to bookmark them all!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #4308751

Oh my, Critter, those triple chocolate cookies are fantastic!!!!! Thank you for the recipe!
Now I have to try some of the others as well.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2007
3:40 AM

Post #4309148

I'm glad they were a hit! The first recipe for "regular" chocolate chip cookies bakes up pretty similarly, so you'd probably like those as well. And of course, you'll need something to do with the leftover egg whites... if you don't try the biscotti, perhaps somebody will have a good recipe for little meringue cookies, the ones you pipe onto a baking sheet and leave in the oven overnight...
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2007
11:29 AM

Post #4309706

tcs,I can't find the Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Walnut.. Can you post the link from the post number [under the date of the poster]
Thanks Linda
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
12:01 PM

Post #4309737

Here ya go Linda. http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/rec2908.html
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2007
12:31 PM

Post #4309775

critterologist- I made Jill's Favorite Triple Chocolate Cookies last night and love them. Everyone at work will enjoy them today. Thank you.
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2007
12:38 PM

Post #4309788

Thanks seed for the help.
Linda
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
1:18 PM

Post #4309877

Where is the recipe for the biscotti? I have eggs coming out my ears. LOL I use the powdered egg whites for my meringues since I have a container. But will probably switch to the real thing when these run out.

You are welcome Linda.
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2007
1:20 PM

Post #4309885

Favor returned: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=1918250
It is above under the cookie recipes.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
1:28 PM

Post #4309908

Thank you! I just printed it out.

Now I need to find a recipe for something the inlaws call sweet bok. They call it something different at the bakery (an hour away). Hubby loves it but I didn't get it ordered or have time for the hour trip.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2007
1:58 PM

Post #4309970

Linda -- I see Badseed found it and added the link. sorry 'bout that. i know there are SO many recipes on that page -- i should have added that link to begin with.

DH was telling me yesterday that these are teh best cookies i've ever made ... and i always thought my snickerdoodles were his fave...

but now HE wants to make more for our lil holiday gathering.

if you have even had "Lace cookies" -- the really thin oatmeal ones ... these are sorta thin like that. but lumpy due to the chips and nuts. but they are very good.

again -- if anyone missed the link to the Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Walnut Cookies ==> http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/rec2908.html

Terese
dguimo
Pioneer, CA

December 19, 2007
7:12 PM

Post #4310870

I made the chocolate chip cookie yesterday and today will make the chocolate one, think 'll use semi-sweet chocolate and cinnamon chips, pecans -- maybe dried cherries. Love your recipes-- Thanks for posting these.Jacquie
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2007
10:45 PM

Post #4311380

tcs, no problem. I just was reading the posts so fast that my brain was running faster than my eyes. I will try the Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Walnut Cookies.
I had my first snickerdoodle this past week. Someone offered it and I like to try new things. If you have a recipe I would love to make it.
Linda

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2007
11:20 PM

Post #4311484

I have a very good snickerdoodle recipe.

i spice mine up a tad from my mothers recipe -- that i have been making since i was a kid... but i add a bit of nutmeg in the dough.

and sometimes around the holidays, instead of rolling it in cinn&sugar, i'll use those green and red colored sugar.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2007
11:34 PM

Post #4311525

Snicker Doodles

1. Cream together
---- 1c. shortening
---- 1 1/2 c granulated sugar
---- 2 eggs

2. Sift together
---- 2 3/4 c flour
---- 2tsp cream of tarter
---- 1tsp baking soda
---- 1/4t salt

3. Combine 1 & 2

4. Chill dough. when chilled, form into balls and roll balls in 3TBSP cinnamon and 3TBSP sugar.

5. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes

as i mentioned above, sometimes i add a few dashes [maybe a 1/2t or so] of nutmeg
or roll in colored sugar for the holidays.

DH liberally sprinkles cookies with powdered sugar. [i dont since i dont like the additional sugar.]

also, since we prefer them softer, i normally underbake them. no more than 9min ...
but trial N error you will find the perfect time for the perfect cookie.

enjoy.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #4311542

Geesh! Now I'll have to make those. LOL I said the name out loud and my 14 year old just screamed that she loves those.

Plain biscotti is in the oven. We didn't have any of the fancy ingredients. I'm going to ice them and run them passed hubby to see if they are close to the "sweet bok" that he loves. I think I'll put chocolate on some for the teachers too.

The stuff hubby's family eats and has bought for years and years is a yellowish tinted bread, that is sliced, baked and iced. They have a real name (that is not biscotti, I don't think), then they are topped with a hard white glaze. Any thoughts?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2007
11:44 PM

Post #4311553

thats one thing nice about the snicker doodles... the ingreds are staples in my house, so i normally do not have to "run out for anything".

I have never really found a 'doodle' that i liked as good as this recipe [mom gave it to me] but one day my son came home from work [Starbucks] with some snicker doodles, and wow, they were really good... though i do make a habit of staying away from their pastry case.

this recipe is great for kids to help too, as they love rolling the dough.
dguimo
Pioneer, CA

December 19, 2007
11:48 PM

Post #4311567

Badseed, I think you're talking about Panattone,it's very good!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
12:49 AM

Post #4311696

Thank you for the suggestion. I went and did some looking but I don't think that is it. It's sort of like the biscotti, but the slices are much larger and it's just plain yellow. The consistency is almost like a heavy pastry but it's bread. It almost reminds me of a stale danish. I always joke with hubby that it is stale bread. ;)
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #4311724

It sort of sounds like a stolen without the nuts and candied fruit. I have had it with icing and powdered sugar on top.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2007
1:02 AM

Post #4311740

bigcityal - i hope you enjoy them

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
1:17 AM

Post #4311799

Okay, I talked to hubby. He said it is called iced rusk. I went searching for rusk, rusk bread, rusk pastry, etc. It's a pretty broad subject. LOL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #4311974

I'm all in favor of more cookie recipes on this thread... but I think you'll get more input and ideas for recipes on that "iced rusk" if you start another thread for it. I'd try plain biscotti with a dash of almond flavoring and see what he thought of it. :-)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #4312008

It's okay. I was just curious if anyone knew what it was since biscotti came up. Mine turned out very good and very pretty by the way. :)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #4539418

Adding a recipe for another favorite chocolate cookie...

I usually make a double batch and recruit some kid help to roll the dough balls. Since the dough has to be chilled, I often mix it up before I start baking up some of the chocolate chip cookies, above. While the kids are rolling these cookies, I'm often putting together a batch of biscotti... it's a good way to spend an afternoon!

(Hot tip... if you double the recipe, 12 Tbsp of cocoa = 3/4 cup, and 10 Tbsp butter = 1 1/4 sticks)

Cocoa Snowflakes
taken from Penzey's catalog, 2003

1 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. butter
6 Tbsp. natural cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 extra large eggs
1/2 c. powdered sugar, for rolling cookies

Whisk together flour, baking powder & salt. Over low heat, melt butter and whisk in cocoa. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, making a dark brown mixture. Transfer to mixing bowl. Add extract and eggs, one at a time, stirring well. Add flour mixture, mix well. Soft dough must be chilled at least 2 hours, covered with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out.

To bake, preheat oven to 400'F. Coat hands with powdered sugar to keep dough from sticking to them too much. Roll dough into 3/4 inch balls. Roll balls in powdered sugar (a deep plate or shallow bowl works well), coating them well. Place on a greased cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.

Bake 8 minutes at 400'F. Let cool a minute, then remove from pan. I like to do a "test cookie" first, to make sure the dough is the right consistency... it should crackle prettily across the top while baking. If they don't crackle, work in just a touch more flour. If you have helpers, make sure you bake more than one test cookie!

Store in an airtight container to maintain soft/chewy texture.

Yields 4-5 dozen cookies.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5504000

Going to try this first recipe. Hestitate since all the ccc recipes I've used involving butter vs shortening have meant thin and crunchy cookies. I prefer thick and chewy.

But we'll see.

Made the dough, so far dough seems VERY greasy, but does not stick to the bowl AT all like every other ccc recipe tried. Liking that. :)

Should taste test in a few. Of course I wanted to try Jill's fave, the chocolate version but we don't have cocoa.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #5504046

I may be too late, but...

this is definitely a recipe for "thick & chewy."

I do recommend making a test cookie. Flour can vary (humidity, etc), and the only way to know for sure that your cookie is going to turn out the way you want is to make a test cookie before you bake off the whole batch.

If it spreads out too much, add some flour -- and test again.

Getting rid of a "flatsie" test cookie hot from the oven is never a problem LOL.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #5504054

Oh, and my favorite source for cocoa? Penzeys! If you don't have a store near you (they've been adding more retail locations but are still pretty limited in numbers), you can order online... best herbs/spices etc. around, and very nice prices too! (And no, I'm not affiliated in any way other than as a happy customer.)
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #5505029

I always use Hersheys cocoa, how does that compare to penzy's?

Yep, thick and chewy! A+++++++++++++!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #5505081

Penzey's is richer, has a deeper & more chocolaty flavor I think. With Hersheys, if you're substituting cocoa for a square of baking chocolate, you have to add butter or oil. Penzey's cocoa is rich enough that they say to just use it to replace the baking chocolate straight, no added butter needed. That told me something! :-) They also make a hot cocoa mix that is fabulous (they use vanilla sugar in it)... I'm addicted to putting a dash of it in my coffee in the winter.

Also, with Penzey's you have the option of ordering their "natural cocoa" -- it doesn't dissolve as readily in liquid at dutched cocoa (which they also have, and which is what Hershey's is), but the flavor is more intense.

Besides, once you're on the website you can get other things, like their out of this world fancy grade Vietnamese cinnamon (even their regular Cassia cinnamon is a grade above what you find at the grocery store) and double strength vanilla (yeah, it's $, but wow is it great).

Penzeys home page: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

cocoa page: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscocoapowder.html
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #5506759

Critter,
So which cocoa do you use from Penzeys? The Natural or the Dutched? (I think it's the Natural, but just want to make sure.) I need to make a run to one of the Penzey's stores here in the Twin Cities and will buy some of their cocoa while I'm there. You're right, their Vietnamese cinnamon is wonderful. (actually, just about everything that Penzey's sells is wonderful.)
I really like Penzey's Northwoods Fire seasoning on steaks, burgers or anything you would use Lawry's seasoning salt in. There is also a plain Northwoods seasoning without any heat, but the Fire is not that hot (at least to me, but how hot something is varies with each individual.)
Thanks,
Mike
tl³
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2008
1:10 PM

Post #5506801

Jill,
Also, in Jim's Favorite Choc Chip cookie recipe, above, the double batch calls for both light and dark brown sugars, but the single batch recipe only calls for brown sugar. Should there be dark brown sugar in the single-batch recipe, too?
I am copying all of the above recipes to try this fall. These recipes are not Weight Watcher's friendly, that's for sure, but boy do they sound delicious! (:o)
Thanks,
Mike
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2008
1:18 PM

Post #5506824

Jill's two recipes are the best we've ever tried. They are all we make now. :)

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #5509225

Rusk...think Melba toast...rusk is a swedish hard cookie, good for dunking, but not as fancy as biscotti. We didn't think much of them as kids, we liked our sweets SWEET, but the grownups always had them to dunk in their coffee.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5509574

I'll stick with biscotti... and with chocolate chip cookies!

My grandmother used to eat melba toast when dieting... *shudder*

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #5509681

oh yeah --- those things are like eating styrofoam... but ya put cream cheese on it... anything tastes better with cream cheese.

i eat Wasa, they are a bit better than melba...

I'll have to try these cookies one day... recipe looks outstanding.
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 5, 2008
2:52 AM

Post #5509979

Edited...

This message was edited Sep 5, 2008 7:23 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2008
3:14 AM

Post #5510057

I don't know, but we're getting a little off the topic of cookie recipes... people are gonna be bummed when this thread pops back up and instead of talking chocolate we're talking buttered hardtack, LOL.\

(edited to add -- my fault for chatting about melba toast & dieting!)

This message was edited Sep 5, 2008 8:16 AM
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2008
11:11 AM

Post #5510672

Quite right critter!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5512039

That does it, I am making cookies RIGHT THIS MINUTE!!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #5512227

Thanks for the nudge, Mike... I did post a response earlier, but it didn't go through! Hate it when that happens, LOL.

I use Penzey's Natural Cocoa for any baking purposes. For making hot cocoa, or for rolling truffles, I use their Dutched Cocoa.

You can use light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, or a combination. I like the extra richness of using some dark brown but usually don't use more than half dark because if I use all dark brown it seems to be just a little too molasses flavored.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2008
6:58 PM

Post #5512521

Jill,
Thanks so much for the info. I am going to a pot luck get-togther this weekend and I am going to make your Triple chocolate chip cookies as my contribution. I'll post any comments I get, on Sunday.
Thanks again for the reply and posting the recipes.
Mike

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #5512722

Just finished up a double batch of the first recipe, from Jill. They are all right, but I think I like the regular Toll House recipe better, these were more chewy, probably because of the brown sugar, and didn't rise much. But, you never know until you try. We are eating them shamelessly however, so they are not bad> cookies...just not the ones we are accustomed to!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5513112

They're definitely different than the Toll House recipe... these are more like the thick, chewy "Mrs. Field's" type cookies. I think that's one of the reasons my DH likes them so well -- he can't really compare them to his mom's chocolate chip cookies, because this is like a different type of cookie altogether! (If I tried to bake his mom's recipe, mine would not be as good, because that's just the way of things! :-)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #5513192

>>(If I tried to bake his mom's recipe, mine would not be as good, because that's just the way of things! :-)

LOL critter -- i dont like my MIL used to bake. So DH loves just about everything i make... well, cookies that is.

M5 -- thanks for your comments on the cookies... i tend to under bake mine as we prefer chewy/gooey cookies.

Terese

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #5513379

Good story, friend of mine had a husband who criticized her pot roast because it wasn't the way his mother made it, and it wasn't good tasting, blah blah blah, you know the drill. Well, one day she asked her mother-in-law to come and visit and bring her pot roast recipe. She bought a pot roast for that day, and when her MIL arrived, she said SHE would make the pot roast and my friend could just watch and learn.

So, when dear hubby came home that night, she served him the pot roast and heard the same old song and dance, not as good as mom's etc. So she told him, his mother was the one who made this pot roast, and if he didn't like it, that was too bad, and she'd have to mention it to his mother. Last complaint she got about pot roast.

Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5517932

I admit, with just the 2 of us a whole batch of cookies doesn't disappear fast. I put a piece of bread in the cookie container hoping to soften the cookies. The bread however is still soft and the cookies are brittle now. Shoot...

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5518081

Send 'em over here, I can dunk them in hot chocolate...LOL

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5518173

LOL M5 !! I love to dunk cookies. My first choice is coffee, then milk. Dont think i've ever used Hot Cocoa.

Tir -- how many days was it til they started to get hard?
Usually when i make a BIG batch of cookies... i always freeze some.
Try that next time.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #5518362

Do you freeze them cooked or as dough? I've frozen lots of dough before. I'd say they were nice and soft 2 days then hard by Friday. Not sure why the bread trick didn't work, usually does---but then I was always using Crisco vs butter but wanting a butter recipe since Crisco is terrible for you!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5518594

as for freezing... i do both.

there are doughs that i will freeze to use at a later date [an oatmeal recipe i have] or i just freeze cookies... i'll usually do this around the holidays ... bake weeks in advance, and freeze them. But also if i double or triple a recipe, i'll freeze some.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #5518620

They usually keep pretty well for a week or so around here in a tight tin, but I like to freeze them. If you microwave them for just a few seconds and eat them right away, you can get that warm-from-the-oven effect.

As I mentioned in the top post, both the dough and the finished cookies freeze well. If you've got a question about the cookies (like freezing or whether or not they're going to turn out like Toll House cookies) -- don't forget to check the recipe posts. :-)

Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5518633

Yes, sometimes we micro them, adding a small glass of water to the micro while you do the cookie adds moistue back to it to!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #5518702

That's a good tip! Sorry the bread didn't do the trick...
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #5520097

Critter, I made the first recipe you posted( Jim's Favorite ) yesterday and they are outstanding. DH said, " I don't know what you did different, but these are the best chocolate chip cookies you've ever made. Dont lose that recipe!"
Using other recipes mine always came out flat,even though they tasted good.
I'm sure the triple chocolate will be delicious also and will try them next.

There goes my diet down the drain,LOL...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5520325

I'm glad you like them too! It really is the recipe that makes the difference, I think. I like flat, crisp Tollhouse type cookies also, but these are just special. :-)

These cookie recipes have sure make us extra happy we stayed at Cedar Crest Inn on our little trip to Ashville!
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #5523842

Well, I came home with no Chocolate³ Chip Cookies on Saturday night. I received many accolades saying how delicious the cookies were.
I need to make Jim's Fav cookies next.
Thanks again for posting the recipes, Jill.
Mike
tl³
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
12:57 PM

Post #5523881

I'm glad they were a hit, Mike! They look great together on a plate, too... I've done them like that as a charity auction item... they did well! (There were 50 jumbo cookies in this pile, on a big cake platter. They were won by a director who planned to bring them to a board meeting the next day -- bet she was popular!)

Thumbnail by critterologist
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #5523898

I shouldn't have looked at this thread! I love the regular Toll House cookies but also the Chocolate Toll House cookie. Just add 1/2 cup of dry cocoa. Hmmm, nothing like a warm cookie.
Teresa
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
1:08 PM

Post #5523912

I'll have to try that variation on Toll House cookies, also... although we've pretty much converted to these chunky ones, here. :-)
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #5523934

I was on the computer looking up recipes. I am taking the chocolate version to work tomorrow. I may have to try yours and mine so that the kids can have a few.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5523945

Hi Jill,
Hmmm... my Choc³ chip cookies did not look like the cookies in your pic (that plate of cookies is beautiful). When baked, my cookies had a dull finish to them and they were not as flat as those in your pic. My cookies did not really change shape after baking; the cookies stayed almost as they were when I put them on the cookie sheet. I wonder what I did wrong? The cookies were delicious, but I like the look of your cookies better.

I went out to Penzey's on Saturday morning and purchased both Natural and Dutched Cocoa and used the Natural cocoa in the recipe. The next time I think I will replace the Macadamia nuts with chopped pecans (I like pecans better). I may make a batch of Jim's this week and bring them in to work so I don't have them staring me in the face at home. I will need to keep a few at home for me, however. (:o) I will make a batch of each for our annual first cousins get-together at the end of the month.

I wonder if I made my "globs" of cookie dough on the cookie sheet too big and that's why the globs didn't spread out at all? Hmmm...
Thanks,
Mike
tl³
edited to add additional info.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2008 8:16 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #5523971

Mike, I always bake a test cookie, because the amount of flour you need can vary a bit from time to time (the cookie will come out anyway, but to get a "perfect" cookie you need to watch the flour)... if your egg is a little larger or if it's a humid day or if your flour was a little fluffier in the bag... lots of things can affect that flour measurement. A "flatsie" cookie that spreads too much could use a little more flour. One that doesn't spread at all has a little too much flour (you can add water a teeny bit at a time, like wetting your hands and then kneading the dough a bit, or you could just smoosh the blobs of dough into a flatter shape to start with since you know they won't spread).
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #5524104

Thanks, Jill. You know, you had even mentioned baking a test cookie, above, and I was so excited to make these cookies I completely forgot about what you had said. I will know better next time. I did fluff the flour in the bag before adding the flour to the measuring cup. I used Pillsbury's Best All-Purpose flour. I know different brands of flour bake differently. I will know better next time.
Mike
tl³
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #5524219

SHOOT! I bought cocoa after years of having none and I didn't recall that the choc recipe needs white choc chips! DOH!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
3:49 PM

Post #5524603

I've been sticking with King Arthur all purpose flour lately, because it just gives me more consistent results.

Tir, you can use any kind of chocolate chips in that recipe, but the white chocolate does provide a nice contrast both in color & sweetness. I've used cinnamon chips, milk chocolate chips and pecans for a different combo.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #5529049

Hi Jill,
I've thought about trying KAF. One of our local grocery stores does carry it. Cook's Illustrated recommends Gold Medal flour and that is the flour that is used to test all of their recipes that use flour. I'll get some KAF the next time I'm at the grocery store and see how it performs for me.
Thanks for all of the info and for posting these recipes.
Mike
tl³
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2008
3:12 PM

Post #5529177

You're welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying the recipes. :-)
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #5551519

Making Jill's favorite now. :) Only had milk choc chips so doing those.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5877992

*bumping* since we're in "cookie season" now... Don't forget about baking a test cookie to see if the dough is the right consistency!

The recipes from me in this thread are the chocolate chip and triple chocolate cookie recipes at the top, the biscotti recipe (great for using the egg white left over from the other recipes), and Penzey's cocoa snowflake recipe (mix the dough and chill it while you're baking the chocolate chip cookies).

Either the cocoa snowflakes or the triple chocolate cookies look great with regular chocolate chip cookies on a platter!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #5878112

OH -- and I just made a double batch of the ones i posted above... OH YUM!!!!!!!

i have my neighborhood Cookie Exchange tonight... so i'm bringing them.

We [errrrrr, no -- DH] will be making the Lace cookies he loves so much.
to me, they are a lot of work... so if he wants them, he can make'em.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #7309275

*bumping up* because it's cookie season again around here! I've got a test cookie (chocolate chip) in the oven right now.. actually, I made a pair of test cookies, because otherwise there will be disappointed faces (Jim's folks are visiting). :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #8230231

Time to *bump up* this thread again... We don't have a big crowd this year, so I decided that rather than cooking a bunch of side dishes, we'd have a simple dinner (turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, and canned cranberries), and I'd spend my kitchen time baking cookies! Oooh, does it smell goood in here.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2010
10:45 AM

Post #8230240

nice bump Jill... gotta love those chocolate chip cookies.

bet Little Miss Sunshine will be a great mama's helper.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #8230268

Thanks Jill! These have replaced our old boring chocolate chip cookies.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #8230458

Little Miss Sunshine greatly enjoyed testing the cookies to be sure they were acceptable before delivering some to the neighbors. She was chocolatey from ear to ear, but somehow she missed rubbing it in her hair this time. Pretty soon she will be climbing up on her special step-chair to help me mix and scoop, too!

I got distracted and put the turkey in later than I intended, but nobody cares if dinner is on the late side because we are all full of chocolate chip cookies. :-)
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #8236379

glad you bumped this one ! I will have to try several of these - can't wait. Here (upper Mississippi) we don't have K.A. flour or that cocoa. Guess that will make a difference with my outcome.
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #8236424

For years our favorite recipe has been Toll House Cookies only I ADD butterscotch morsels to the recipe, yummy!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

November 29, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #8236697

Just noticed this:

• Cake flour already is acidic because of its bleaching process.

And I wonder why because bleach is basic, opposite of acidic. Taken out of context may be the reason for my confusion.

About Toll House - they changed the recipe somewhere along the line - (having to do with water) - and I never could get the right outcome - they were too fluffy, too doughy. Does anyone have the OLD recipe???

** answered by own question with this from an Internet source:

The only difference is that they add one teaspoonful of water. It isn't much change, but it is the old Toll House recipe. Happy baking! :)

This message was edited Nov 29, 2010 6:18 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #8236751

Corgimom, the original recipe didn't specify KA flour or Penzey's cocoa... those are just my personal preferences. I do recommend baking a "test cookie" -- I do that even though my results are pretty consistent with the KA flour.
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #8236753

Death By Chocolate come in 2nd place here!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #8236775

I haven't tried the butterscotch chips, but I have used some cinnamon chips in the recipe with the cocoa. Yum!

I think one of my favorite things about this recipe (and about the "Cocoa Snowflakes" recipe, also on this thread) is that it calls for melted butter. I use butter for baking but not for other things on a daily basis, so I keep butter in the freezer... it's a pain to wait for it to reach soft room temp for other recipes (and I almost always get it just a little wrong when I try to soften it in the microwave), but I can put these recipes together quickly!
planolinda
Plano, TX

November 30, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #8238072

i saw a bacon/chocolate chip recipe somewhere and i know--crazy -but i think i would like it! and so i will be giving it a try
last year i made garlic chocolate chip and loved them
but i think my favorite are the ones made with rice crispies--the chocolate chip cookies are light and crunchy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #8238175

I'd love the rice crispy chocolate chip cookie recipe!

(Trying but failing to imagine adding bacon or garlic)
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #8239180

Here is the Kellogg's Rice Krispies Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe for anyone that wants it:

KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup margarine or butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
1 – 6 oz package semi-sweet chocolate morsels (1 cup)

1. In a bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
2. In large electric mixer bowl, beat together margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well.
4. Add flour mixture, mixing until combined.
5. Stir in KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal and chocolate chips.
6. Drop by level tablespoon onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
7. Bake at 350°F about 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
8. Remove immediately from baking sheets and cool on wire racks. Store cookies in an airtight container.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #8239188

Thanks!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #8244296

Will be trying Jills cookies...and Herbies cake...and...LOL!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #8244461

I bought another half dozen bags of chocolate chips yesterday... hoping to have the energy for a little more baking before Christmas, but if not they will keep until Valentine's Day!

I did like the crispie chocolate chip cookies, but I think if I try the recipe again I'll use some brown sugar in place of some of the white... I missed the flavor of it! They do have a nice texture, a little chewy and a little crunchy from the cereal A double batch fits (barely) in my stand mixer.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #8245008

I have always dreamed of having a good stand mixer!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #8245047

It sure makes those double batches of cookies mix up quickly! Kohl's is actually a pretty good place to find a kitchenaid mixer (regular or pro model) at a good price, especially if you have their credit card and can combine a 30% off coupon with one of their sales. maybe you can give santa a nudge... after all, that jolly old elf does love his cookies!
planolinda
Plano, TX

December 5, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #8245685

besides loving the flavor of the rice crispie choc chips it makes a ton of them! those crispies just fluff up the batter and increase your yeild!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #8245739

Thanks for the tip on the mixer. I did talk to Santa today about it & he agreed that it would be excellent for us!! lol
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #8245767

Sweet! Good job, Santa. FYI, with both the rice crispie and the "Jim's favorite" chocolate chip cookies, although a double batch fits in the mixer, you basically have to mix up all the other ingredients, dump in the chocolate chips, and then mix again briefly while holding your hands over the top of the mixing bowl so everything stays in the bowl.
planolinda
Plano, TX

December 5, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #8245778

ok--i am being very lazy with this question but----------------
what are the differences in chocolate chip cookie recipes? for example i know the difference for the rice crispie recipe--an added crunch and ingredient--
but what else are folks doing to improve or just change it up? i know i can go over each but i thought maybe a quick and easy answer
like---adding cocoa to make a chocolate flavored dough
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #8245874

Linda, the "Jill's favorite" recipe I posted near the top is a chocolate dough... the "Jim's favorite" is a thick, chewy cookie (like Mrs Field's)... and I think somebody posted a traditional tollhouse cookie recipe (thinner and between crispy and chewy depending on how you bake them) somewhere in this thread.
planolinda
Plano, TX

December 6, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #8247445

thank you for understanding just what i wanted to know!
i like crunchy best -and i like nuts
when i see a bunch of recipes for the same food item i like to know what will be different for each
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9278457

it's been a good long while since this thread has been bumped... I just baked a double batch while visiting my in-laws... and had to look up the recipe in my thread here -- another good reason to post recipes to this forum; they are available when you're away from home or when your daughter has been "sorting" your recipe cards.

I made "Jim's Favorite" this time. My MIL likes the triple chocolate ones better, I think, but I just ran out of time since I can only get one small cookie sheet at a time into their oven.

I also made a Deep Chocolate Cake, my family's name for the "Darn Good Chocolate Cake" recipe that's been around a while. It was such a hit I made another before we left, this time splitting it between 2 small bundt pans. So I can actually post the recipe from memory... LOL I know it's not a cookie, but it does have chocolate chips!

DEEP CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 box chocolate cake mix (preferably without pudding in the mix; Duncan Hines works well for me)
1 small box instant chocolate pudding (skip this if you get a mix that has pudding, like Betty Crocker)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (optional but makes for a deeper darker cake)
1 cup sour cream (low fat is fine, but don't use fat free)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I substitute unsweetened applesauce)
1/2 cup water (this can be partly hershey's syrup if you'd like)
4 large eggs
1 bag semi sweet chocolate chips (about 2 cups)

Preheat oven to 350'F. Grease & flour an 8 cup bundt pan.

This is a cake mix recipe, so just dump everything into a mixing bowl. Use an electric beater. If you use a stand mixer, cut mixing time in half so you don't toughen the batter. Mix briefly (about a minute), then pause to scrape the bowl, and mix until the batter looks uniform (about 2 more minutes, tops). Pour/spoon batter into prepared pan.

Bake 45-50 minutes until cake starts to pull away from sides of pan... it will usually crack a little on top, also. (By the way, if you have some extra chocolate chips, throw them in on top of the batter... when you invert the cake, you'll have an extra chocolatey layer on the bottom... you can also toss some nuts into the pan before you put the batter in.) This will bake up fine in other pans or as cupcakes, probably won't take more than 25 or 30 minutes in a sheet pan or round layer cake pans. I'd try just 2 or 3 eggs if you're doing a sheet cake (9x13 inch pan).

This is such a moist cake, it doesn't need any glaze or frosting. Sprinkle a little cocoa or powdered sugar on if you like. (The "nonmelting powdered sugar" from King Arthur is great for things like this).

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9278625

Jill -- sounds yummy!! I love chocolate.

I also love posting my fave recipes in this forum, as - as you've stated, you can always find them. I dont have many of my recipes here in WI, so i use this forum a lot.
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9290458

Here is a recipe to use those eggs whites left from Critter's "Jim's Favorite" cookies. Recipe was given to my mother by a friend over 50 years ago. It is my fave cookie to this day--and because I always have pecans in the freezer, I always have the ingredients on hand.

MAPLE COOKIES

1 egg white, stiffly beaten
1 C brown sugar
1 C chopped pecans
1 T flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp cream of tartar (to stabilize beaten egg white—can be omitted)

Preheat oven to 350
Grease cookie sheet or line cookie sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.

Place chopped pecans in a bowl; add 1 T flour and mix well to coat all the pecan pieces.

Beat egg white with cream of tartar until stiff peaks are formed.

Slowly mix in sugar to beaten egg white.

Mix in salt, pecans and vanilla.

Drop by teaspoon or small disher onto prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes.
Cookies when done will be light brown and firm looking. They will be a little sticky on the
bottom. Remove from pan at once.

NOTE: Will get best results using parchment lined cookie sheet.

NOTE: The only fat in this recipe is in the pecans. The only gluten is in the 1 tablespoon of
flour. We won’t talk about carbs.
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9290462

Question: Some of you speak of sending out packages of cookies for Christmas gifting. Do you mail them? How long can the cookies remain fresh? I need to send some to a destination that takes several days regular post.

Thanks ~pen
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9290504

Pen, that sounds like a delicious twist on meringue cookies... bet the brown sugar adds a lot of flavor... but I'm wondering why they're called maple cookies? I expected maple syrup or maple sugar to be included in them. Is it just that they're brown?
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9291066

They really do have a maple taste--guess 'cause there is only brown sugar and no white sugar. They could be called burnt meringue, and they would still be my fave. ~ pen
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9291451

LOL I'll have to try them... they sound simpler than the biscotti (fewer steps, anyway) I usually try to make with the extra egg whites! Thanks

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America