Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Favorite chocolate chip cookies

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Our two favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes are both from the Cedar Crest Victorian Inn, in Ashville, NC. They published their own little cookbook, and I picked up a copy when we were there several years ago. Both the regular and the triple chocolate cookies bake up big & chunky, more like a "Mrs. Field's" cookie than like a traditional toll house cookie.

This recipe first appeared in the January 1996 "Cook's Illustrated." The dough also freezes well.

Jim's Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
(a double batch fits just fine in my stand mixer)

2 1/8 cups unsifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to warm
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. (one 12 oz. bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper and lower-middle positions.

Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl and set aside.

With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla.
Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop heaping tablespoons of dough on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 16 minutes at 325, rotating cookie sheets halfway through baking time.
(Convection oven at 300 degrees for 16 minutes, no rotating necessary.)

Cool for a couple of minutes on cookie sheets, then remove to countertop or
brown paper bag to cool until chocolate chips are set.

Makes about 2 dozen 3 inch cookies.

edited to add the proportions for a double batch, because you can't have
too many of these cookies.... they go fast, and they freeze well too, either baked
or unbaked!

4 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled to warm
1 1/2 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 egg yolks
4 tsp. vanilla extract
4 c. (2 bags) semisweet chocolate chips

Yields about 50 cookies.

This message was edited Dec 9, 2005 4:31 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

In this recipe, the cookie dough is chocolate, and a combination of different chips and nuts are added. I made a batch this morning using 1 c. cinnamon chips, 1 c. milk chocolate chips, 2 c. semisweet chips, and 1 c. chopped pecans.... and they were fabulous.

Jill's Favorite Triple Chocolate Cookies

1/2 pound butter, softened (2 sticks)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cups cocoa (natural or dutched)
2 cups (1 bag) white chocolate chips
2 cups (1 bag) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped macademia (or other) nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper and lower-middle positions.

Mix flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa together in a bowl and set aside.

With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Mix in eggs and vanilla.
Add dry ingredients and mix until nearly combined. Add nuts and chocolate chips, and briefly mix to stir them in.

Drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto two ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 14 minutes at 350, rotating cookie sheets halfway through baking time.
(Convection oven at 325 degrees for 14 minutes, no rotating necessary.)

Cool for a couple of minutes on cookie sheets, then remove to countertop or
brown paper bag to cool until chocolate chips are set.

Makes about 4 dozen 3 inch cookies.

Waaaay Down South, GA

Oh my, Jill, does that last one look to die for! Copied it down. Thanks!

This message was edited Sep 29, 2012 11:07 PM

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

um, um, um........do they sound good. I tell you what, why don't you make a double batch of each and send them to me (I'll give you my address) and then I can do research and see if what you say is true. :) (toothy grin)....Kathy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

So far this week I've made 3 double batches of the chocolate chip and 3 batches of the triple chocolate.... and I'm still not sure that's going to be enough to go around the Christmas boxes we're sending out... especially since Jim keeps snitching them! :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Since the chocolate chip cookie recipe calls for extra egg yolks, I often make biscotti afterwards, as my biscotti recipe calls for extra egg whites.

I use the "Classic Biscotti" recipe from the New Joy of Cooking, only I tend to fool around with it. I made two batches this evening, both quite different, and -- wonder of wonders -- they both turned out perfectly!

I had almond meal on hand, but I made hazelnut "meal" by pulverizing freshly shelled hazelnuts in my coffee grinder... no more than a dozen at a time, and be very careful that you don't over-whizz them, or they will turn into nut butter. With biscotti, while chunks of nuts look attractive, I've found that it's much easier to slice them if you use nut meal.... that's also the reason to use mini chocolate chips!

I used some walnut oil just because I had it on hand, and I think it did add a wonderful flavor!

*Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti*

3 1/4 c. flour (King Arthur unbleached all purpose)
1/4 c. natural cocoa powder
1 c. Hazelnut meal, see note above
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. canola oil
2 Tbsp. walnut oil
1 1/4 c. sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl. Combine oils and sugar in the stand mixer bowl and beat on low speed until combined. Add extract and eggs, one at a time, with the mixer running on low. Keep the mixer running and slowly add the flour mixture, blending until well combined. Shape dough into two logs and place on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly (to half an inch, maybe a little higher).

Bake 30 minutes at 375'F. Loaves should be firm, cracked, and just starting to brown. (With my convection oven, I baked them for 35 minutes at 350'.) Remove cookie sheets from oven and allow to cool until warm, about 10 to 15 minutes. If you cut them when they are too hot, the slices will compact and become very dense and hard, but if you let them cool completely they will be impossible to cut. Slice loaves with a serrated bread knife, 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick. Slice at an angle rather than straight across the loaf to create nice long, slim biscotti.

Place the slices back on the cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, flip the slices over, and bake another 8 to 10 minutes. The cut surfaces should be crisp and slightly browned. Cool, and store in an airtight container.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My second batch used the same procedure as above, but I varied the ingredients a little:

3 1/3 c. all purpose flour
2/3 c. almond meal
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. canola oil
1 1/4 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1/2 tsp. double strength vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. Fiori di Sicilia extract (citrus-vanilla flavor)
1 tsp. almond extract
4 tsp. orange zest

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We made the Triple Chocolate cookies yesterday! Yum and Yum! Perfect combination of crisp and chewy! You have to laugh though. We didn't have any cocoa powder so we threw in 3 packs of Swiss Miss cocoa to make the 1/2 cup. LOL The cookies are awesome! These two recipes replaced my old one and are in my permanent Christmas recipe book now. :) Thanks!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You're welcome! I'm glad you gave them a try. Everyone raves about them here, but it's not really the baker, it's just that good a recipe!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

heres a good one from the food newwork
double chocolate gooey butter cakes

8 tbls )1 stick of butter) plus 8 more tbls, melted, plus additional butter
for greasing pan
1 18 to 25 ounce) package of chocolate cake mix
1 egg, plus 2 eggs
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
3 to 4 tbls cocoa powder
1 16 oz. box powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts

preheat oven to 350 degrees f
lightly grease a 13 by 9 inch baking pan

in a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 eg and 1 stick of butter and stir until well blended. pat mixture into prepared pan and set aside.

with a stand or hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. add the remaining 2 eggs and the cocoa power. lower the speed of the mixer and add the powdered sugar. continue beating until ingredients are well mixed. slowly add the remaining 1 stick of melted butter and the vanilla, conmtinuing to beat the mixtujre until smooth. stir in nuts with a rubber spatula. spread filling over cake mixture in pan. bake for 40 to 50 minutes. be carefull not to overcook the cake. the center should still be a little gooey when finished baking. let cake partially cool on a wire rack before cutting into pieces.

saugatuck, MI(Zone 6a)

i cut the sugars in half and like to add double choc chips and walnuts plus orange zest to the toll house recipe. mince the zest really well after taking it off the whole orange and yep, you can add the orange juice into the dough, too.
i get a better 'bake' if i make the doughs up ahead and chill them overnight before baking...less overwhelming, work-wise, too.

this xmas i made 96 doz--
cc/walnut
cc/pecan/caramel
oatmeal/orange/rum raisin
soft ginger/mole asses

i haven't heard any complaints from the giftees, so i guess they were ok.................LOL.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If you use my recipes above, they seem to bake up best if the dough is NOT chilled.... Chilled dough doesn't spread at all as you bake the cookies, and they'll turn out like little ping pong balls, albeit tasty little ping pong balls!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I made Jill's Favorite Triple Chocolate Cookies today, they're an instant favorite! I didn't add the nuts because my kids won't eat them... and I added a bag of butterscotch chips to the two different chocolates... but fantastic! I think next time I'll do all chocolate.... Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! The dough spreads wonderfully. I have a little pampered chef cookie scooper that I use, it looks like a mini ice cream scoop, but normally the dough stays kinda heaped up in the middle of the cookies when I use it... not these!

Advice please! I made a batch of cookies again this weekend. We had Sectional Wrestling all weekend, so Friday night after we got home I made a batch to take with me on Saturday. This time the cookies didn't "spread" at all, they turned out like little rocks. They still tasted fantastic, but, I can't figure out what I did to this batch to make them come out like that. Anyone have a clue what I did?

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I copied this off FoodTV sometime back. I hope it helps:

Cookie Chemistry
Food chemist Shirley Corriher has the cure for cookies that turn out too crumbly, too dark or too hard. It all depends on the fat and flour that you choose.
Fats
Butter melts quickly, so using all butter results in a thin, crisp cookie.

Shortening holds its shape, so it produces a fluffier cookie.

Margarine, which is 80 percent milk product, and low-fat spreads, which use gums, are not recommended.
Flour and Liquids
The way flour absorbs water or liquids affects texture and shape.

Protein and acid help the cookie to hold its shape.

Beaten eggs or sour cream can be added to flours to help them set up.

Cake flour already is acidic because of its bleaching process.

Bread flour and all-purpose flour, however, benefit from the addition of egg and sour cream. Substitute one tablespoon beaten egg for liquid and add a tablespoon of sour cream to help these two flours set up.

To avoid crumbly cookies: Add one to two tablespoons of water to the flour, and mix quickly before adding other ingredients. The gluten this produces helps hold the cookies together.
Sugars
The type of sugar can affect the crispness. For the crispest cookies, use plain white sugar.

For a softer cookie, use honey, because it pulls moisture out of the air.

For a crisp cookie that is soft the next day, use brown sugar.
Color
For a dark cookie, add a tablespoon of corn syrup.

Baking soda is often added to a recipe, not for leavening but because it helps browning, too

Linda

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Flour can be variable as to moisture & gluten content, and even the weather (humidity) can affect things a little. I always bake a "test cookie" first to see if the dough is behaving right. If they spread too much, I add more flour, and if they don't spread at all, I add a little more liquid or shortening (a sprinkle of water or an extra dash of vanilla is often enough... mix in just a little and you'll see how much the texture of the dough changes). I'm sure I'm making it sound more complicated than it is...

These chocolate chip cookies do tend to be thick rather than to spread into "flatsies" but still should spread a little. If I want them less thick but am otherwise happy with the texture & appearance of my test cookie, sometimes I just flatten the balls of dough a little with the heel of my hand.

I had some real problems with my flour last year (was using Pillsbury, I think, which I'd had good luck with in the past, but maybe this was just a different batch)... I've switched over to using King Arthur flour, and it seems to work out much better batch to batch for about everything.

HTH!

Have to bump this for those who have not yet tried Jill's Favorite Triple Chocolate Cookies. I should know the recipe by heart now, but came to look it up, just to be sure. :) This has become the favorite of many teenage boys around here, as well as several adults lucky enough to snatch a cookie before the boys eat them all. :)

edited to add, I switched over to King Arthur several years ago... I find the cheaper flours leave a floury taste no matter what I use it for.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2007 1:54 AM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

thanks for the bump.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm glad you bumped! I started copying all my recipes onto new cards. I just came to look for this, to make sure mine was right. LOL These cookies are wonderful!

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I just made Jill's Triple chocolate cookies. The only changes I made was to use 1 cup each of the white and semi chocolate with pecans. It was great. Thanks For sharing.
Linda

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Hi Critter,

I really appreciate seeing a recipe that gets raves over and over and over....!!!!! For this time crunched Mom it makes it more rewarding to know it's a guarantee! I don't think I've seen so many people like any particular recipe more than those here, so THANKS for posting the recipes, can't wait to try them!

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

I will have to try Critter's recipe there. I haven't found a CC recipe I like, I like them chewy - but not oily.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Another bonus to these-it makes just enough to put one dozen cookies on each sheet. You don't have to keep coming back to take out, put in, switch, clean cookie sheets, etc. Each batch is quick and easy. :)

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

bigcityal - tomorrow i will post a recipe for cc cookies that i think you will like.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Does anyone have a GOOD sugar free chocolate chip cookie recipe?

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

wabi- LOL, I think you need to edit your soft ginger/mole asses! LOL! No, seriously all of those recipes sound wonderful too. Please share- I have finally caught the baking bug. I used to be a baker by trade and refused to do it at home. Now that I don't do it at work anymore I miss it. Go figure...

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

bigcityal - here is the recipe i mentioned the other day

chocolate chip cookies
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly p0acked light brown sugar
1/4 cp sugar
3 1/2 oz. pkg vanilla instant putting (4 serving size)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
12 oz, package chocolate chips

combine flour and baking soda in a bowl. in a separate bowl cream the butter, sugars, pudding mix aned vanilla until smooth then beat in eggs. gradually stir in flour mix then stir in cocolate chips. drop dough by teaspoons onto a baking sheet. (12 cookies per pan) bake for 9 minutes at 375 degrees.

makes 6 dozen cookies

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

pluto, I did not catch this the first time around. Thanks for a good laugh so early in the morning.
I made Jill's Chocolate chip and it is excellent too.
Linda

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Herbie - I'll try that one.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I stumbled onto this site a few weeks ago
http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/cat0001.html

and since i have a "cookie exchange" this week [16 ladies in the subdivision] i was scrounging for a new recipe.

I made the Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Walnut cookies [recipe is in the 3rd column]
http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/rec2908.html

the family LOVED them ... so i made 4 batches!!

I found them on the "thin" side, but they were very good.

**edited to add direct link to the cookies

This message was edited Dec 19, 2007 7:53 AM

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

tsc, thanks for posting that recipe link! wow, I wish we could compile a list of all the great recipe sites others have posted on here in the past. I am trying to bookmark them all!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh my, Critter, those triple chocolate cookies are fantastic!!!!! Thank you for the recipe!
Now I have to try some of the others as well.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm glad they were a hit! The first recipe for "regular" chocolate chip cookies bakes up pretty similarly, so you'd probably like those as well. And of course, you'll need something to do with the leftover egg whites... if you don't try the biscotti, perhaps somebody will have a good recipe for little meringue cookies, the ones you pipe onto a baking sheet and leave in the oven overnight...

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

tcs,I can't find the Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Walnut.. Can you post the link from the post number [under the date of the poster]
Thanks Linda

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Here ya go Linda. http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/rec2908.html

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

critterologist- I made Jill's Favorite Triple Chocolate Cookies last night and love them. Everyone at work will enjoy them today. Thank you.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks seed for the help.
Linda

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Where is the recipe for the biscotti? I have eggs coming out my ears. LOL I use the powdered egg whites for my meringues since I have a container. But will probably switch to the real thing when these run out.

You are welcome Linda.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Favor returned: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=1918250
It is above under the cookie recipes.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you! I just printed it out.

Now I need to find a recipe for something the inlaws call sweet bok. They call it something different at the bakery (an hour away). Hubby loves it but I didn't get it ordered or have time for the hour trip.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.