ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'.

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

THIS THREAD IS LOADING VERY SLOW....
PLEASE BE PATIENT...WE ARE ALMOST DONE.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS ROUND-ROBIN IS CLOSED to NEW PARTICIPANTS

Welcome to the 'Tomato Seed' Round-Robin's!

These Round-Robin's are for:
Tomato Seed Exchanging and Trading Only.

I Will Start the Round-Robin Packages with '100 Different Varieties of Tomato Seed'!

For Every Packet You Take Out to Plant...You Need to Replace it with 1(One) of Your Own Varieties.
Please...Do Not Duplicate Tomato Seed Packets for Replacements for Trading Tomato Seeds. You Can Put in as Many Varieties as You Would Like but...Only 1 Packet of Each Variety for Trading.
(Extra Seed Packets Can be Added to the Packet if You Wish...for Others on Down the Round-Robin's Route to Enjoy)

Here is the Information to be Placed on Each *Seed Packet
(Each *Seed Packet is to Contain at Least 15 Seeds)

1- "Name/Variety" of Tomato.
2- Indeterminate or Determinate or Semi-Determinate.
3- Description of Fruit. (Color-Fruit/Plant Size-Shape-Taste)
4- Heirloom-Hybrid.
5- Personally Saved or Store Bought.
6- Year Collected or Obtained
(Please Do Not Put in the Round-Robin...Tomato Seeds that You DO NOT Know What the Tomato is or...If the Tomato Seed Packet was Given/Received by You in a Trade. This Round-Robin is for Personally Processed/Saved and Purchased Tomato Seed Only!)
*Seed Packets Must Have the Traders 'Screen Name' Printed on Every Packet Traded...Even Store Bought.

The Round-Robin on Arrival will Contain:
1- A Complete Sheet of Rules.
2- Self-Addressed Mailing Labels in Numerical Order of Delivery.
3- Inventory Sheets that I Would Like to Have Completed Before You Pass the Round-Robin onto the Next Participant.
5. Hopefully There Will be...Lots of Wonderful Tomato Seed Varieties for Each of You to Exchange and Try this Spring in a Large Ziploc Plastic Bag.

Here are the Rules...Please Follow.
1- Upon Receiving the Tomato Seed Round-Robin...
Please Post to this Thread that the Round-Robin Has Arrived at Your Location.
2- The Round-Robin Needs to be Kept Only 3 Days or Less and Then Mailed on to the Next Participant.
(This is to Keep the Round-Robin Moving onto at Least 1(One) Person Each Week. The Round-Robin Will be Traveling from Warmer Zones(South) to Cooler Zones(North)...So Everyone Will be Able to Plant Their Seeds in Time. If I Need to Send Multiple Robins I Will.
3- Please Make Sure Your Seed Packets are Sealed so that there Will be No Tampering to Any Offered Tomato Seed Packets.
Do Not Remove Seeds from Any Seed Packet in this Round-Robin.
(If You Want to Try Any Individual Tomato Seed Packet...You Must Replace the Entire Seed Packet with Another of Your Own)

4- The Tomato Seed Round-Robin Can be Sent 'First Class', 'Parcel Post' or 'Priority Mail' but...
The Tomato Seed Round-Robin 'Is Required to Have' a Delivery Confirmation Added to the Posting of the Package. The Cost is 60-cents(Currently in the US).

5- When You Have Mailed the Round-Robin Package...Please Post the Date of Your Mailing Along with the Delivery Confirmation Number.

The Biggest and Most Important Rule is...
Just to Have Fun and Enjoy Looking Over All the Varieties that Will be Enclosed in the Package!

Have a Great Time Trading!

Please...Try to Have Packets Made and Ready Before the Round-Robin Arrives.

Your Host ,
Lelan.
(ZZTOPSOIL)
Oregon.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2006 11:16 AM

(5/3/2006)
ALL the Round-Robins are HOME...!
(Updated Wednesdayday(5/3) at 3:00pm-PST)

Saturday-(4/22)
ROUND-ROBIN #1.......COMPLETED...!

Tomato Seed Round-Robin Flight Path #2

(Please... Have Your Tomato Seed Packets Ready...
When the Tomato Seed Round-Robin Arrives.
)

#1- 'aries44' (Flip) Florida
Received(2/9) and Forwarded(2/9) on to Carol.
Returned-Received(2/24) and Re-Mailed(2/25)
DC# 0305 2710 0000 5310 9121
"Thank You for Participating"!
#2- 'ctbig' (Carol) Florida
Received(2/28) and Mailed(3/1) on to Suzi.
DC# 0305 2710 0001 2001 2989
#3- 'BriarRose74' (Suzi) Pennsylvania
Received(3/6) and Mailed(3/8) on to Jean-Michel.
DC# 0305 1720 0000 2531 1026
#4- 'oldseed' (Jean-Michel) New York
Received(3/10) and Mailed(3/11) on to Robin.
DC# 0303 2460 0000 6320 6377
#5- 'NatureWalker' (Robin) New York
Received(3/13) and Mailed(3/20) on to Janice.
DC# 0304 3490 0001 5270 0233
#6- 'Sequee' (Janice) New York
Received(3/22) and Mailed(3/23) on to Danny.
DC# 0306 0320 0000 1537 0077
#7- 'HotPepperDan' (Danny) New Jersey
Received(3/25) and Mailed(3/30) on to Jill.
DC# 0305 2710 0000 1250 7791
#8- 'critterologist' (Jill) Maryland
Received(3/31) and Mailed(4/3) on to Sue.
DC# 0103 8555 7498 1676 5589
#9- 'chemocurl' (Sue) Indiana
Received(4/5) and Mailed(4/6) on to Diane.
DC# 0305 0830 0003 6584 2715
#10- 'makshi' (Diane) Indiana
Received(4/8) and Mailed(4/10) on to Angel.
DC# 0305 0830 0003 5680 8188
#11- 'arcangel' (Angel) Colorado
Received(4/12) and Mailed(4/20) on to Lelan.
DC# No Delivery Confirmation Added.
But it Arrived Safely Home..[wiping brow]

4/22)- "The PACKAGE Has ARRIVED HOME in OREGON"!
"THANK YOU EVERYONE for PARTICIPATING"!

Lelan.

Friday-(4/14)
ROUND-ROBIN #2.......COMPLETED...!

Tomato Seed Round-Robin Flight Path #2

#1- 'jcangemi' (Janet) California
Received(2/10) and Mailed(2/13) on to Juli.
DC# 0305 0830 0000 4437 3332
#2- 'Juli64' (Juli) California
Received(2/15) and Mailed(2/21) on to Sheran.
DC# 0305 1720 0002 4856 2359
#3- 'Sheran' (Sheran) California
Received(2/23) and Mailed(2/28) on to Nadine.
DC# 0103 8555 7496 5103 8534
#4- 'Moodene' (Nadine) Texas
Received(3/4) and Mailed(3/10) on to Kimberly.
DC# 0305 2200 0001 7599 6355
#5- 'Kim_Johnson' (Kimberly) Tennessee
Received(3/13) and Mailed(3/14) on to Red.
DC# 0304 3490 0001 3873 7918
#6- 'Big_Red' (Red) Kentucky
Received(3/16) and Mailed(3/17) on to Gary.
DC# 0303 3430 0001 7867 7488
#7- 'VGMKY' (Gary) Kentucky
Received(3/18) and Mailed(3/22) on to Esther.
DC# 0305 1720 0000 1781 4306
#8- 'Esther_z6' (Esther) Ohio
Received(3/24) and Mailed(3/25) on to Missy.
DC# 0305 2710 0003 0961 3679
#9- 'mssy1267' (Missy) Ohio
Received(3/27) and Mailed(4/4) on to Jill.
DC# 0304 1560 0004 2379 3715
#10- 'momof2d' (Jill) Iowa
Received(4/6) and Mailed(4/7) on to Claire.
DC# 0305 2710 0001 2706 2147
#11- 'CMoxon' (Claire) Iowa
Received(4/9) and Mailed(4/12) on to Lelan.
DC# 0304 1560 0002 0821 5692

(4/14)- "The PACKAGE Has ARRIVED HOME in OREGON"!

Lelan.

Wednesday-(5/3)
INTERNATIONAL ROUND-ROBIN #3.......COMPLETED...!

~I~N~T~E~R~N~A~T~I~O~N~A~L~
Tomato Seed Round-Robin Flight Path #3

#1- 'zarcanat' (Nathalie) Canada
Received(2/20) and Mailed(2/21) on to Peter.
DC# 0000 0950 0009 7631
#2- 'tomatonut' (Peter) Canada
Received(2/23) and Mailed(2/27) on to Rhonda.
DC# 0100 4830 0006 2220
#3- 'Emaewest' (Rhonda) Canada
Received(2/27) and Mailed(2/28) on to Jeanne.
#4- 'Lixi' (Jeanne) Greece
Received(4/14) and Mailed(4/17) on to Maggi.
DC# RE717975425GR
#5- 'sorgina' (Maggi) Spain
Received(4/21) and Mailed(4/22) on to Pat.
DC# RR309090426 ES
#6- 'Patbarr' (Pat) Great Britian
Received(4/26) and Mailed(4/28) on to Lelan.
DC# RI 6916 3909 7GB

(5/3)- "The INTERNATIONAL ROBIN Has ARRIVED HOME in OREGON"!

Lelan.

(5/3)"The PACKAGES are ALL HOME in OREGON"!
~~~~LOTS and LOTS of........HAPPY DANCING....!!!~~~~
"Thank You So Much Everybody for Participating"........!!!

This message was edited May 3, 2006 2:56 PM

oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

Wow ZZ, I'd love to join in this round robin. Just one problem - I live across the Atlantic, so postage to me would be more expensive...
On the plus side, hopefully I could get some varieties of tomato here that aren't readily available there and include them in the swap.
Let me know what you think. It's a great idea for an RR.
Maggi xxxx

Dexter, NY(Zone 5a)

Count me in. Should be fun.

Louisville, KY

Lelan --ZZ,
Count me in on your southern route; I am looking forward to sharing seed with other folks here.
Gary/Louisville

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

Wonderful! I'd love to join.

We had started to plan a round robin in the tomato forum last spring, but it sort of fizzled out.

Thanks for starting this one, ZZTOPSOIL.

Rhonda

LA, So CAL (Northrid, CA(Zone 10a)

" he's got seeds and he knows how to use em...."

zz count me in...

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

ZZ can I join?

Yes...
Send Me Your Information.
Name.
Address.
and E-Mail Address.

Victorville, CA

I'd like to join.
-Juli

This message was edited Feb 27, 2006 10:49 PM

This message was edited Feb 27, 2006 10:51 PM

pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

is it too late to join?

This message was edited Feb 27, 2006 10:52 PM

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I have a question. When we get the package and we pick some seed packets that we would like, we have to replace those packets with our own selections. What if the selections that we have intended to put into the package are already there? In other words, is it okay to put a second (or third...) packet of a seed variety that is already in the Round Robin, or does it have to be a completely new variety not represented in the package at the time we receive it? Obviously I would try to include new ones if I could, but it occurred to me that maybe all the ones I have to share would already be in the package.

Hello CMoxon and All Participants-
Sorry I Didn't Make Myself More Clear on the Trading Part.

Quoting:
For Every Packet You Take Out to Plant...You Need to Replace it with 1(One) of Your Own Varieties.
Please...Do Not Duplicate Tomato Seed Packets for Replacements for Trading Tomato Seeds. You Can Put in as Many Varieties as You Would Like but...Only 1 Packet of Each Variety for Trading.
(Extra Seed Packets Can be Added to the Packet if You Wish...for Others on Down the Round-Robin's Route to Enjoy)

So...If There is Already Seed Packets of the Variety of the Tomato in the Round-Robin Package that You Wanted to Add...You May Add Another(1ONLY...for Trading)...And You Can Add All the Additionals of a Variety that You Wish but...These 'Can Not' be Used as...Traded Seed Packets.
When the Package Arrives at Each Stop There Will be an 'Inventory Record' in an Envelope to Check Off the Ones You Have Taken and...the Ones You've Added to the Inventory that You are Putting in.
It Will be Pretty Easy to Understand When it Arrives...I Hope.

In Other Words...You are Trading 1(One) Seed Packet for Every 1(One) Seed Packet You Take Out of a Variety. And...Only 1(One) 'Specific Variety' Only Can Be Considered Traded in this Round-Robin.

(Now I Probably Have You Even More Confused)

Lelan.
(Just Got Home from School and...
Gotta Leave to Help at Our Local Food Bank Tonight)
I'll Check Back Later.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I thought I understood, but now I might be confused, LOL.... Hmmm, I think maybe I have it?

If there is one packet of Variety A and you want it, you must put in a packet of Variety B to replace it. If a packet of Variety B is already in the robin, you may not add it to swap out a variety you want, and you must instead put in a packet of a different variety. In this way, we are "trading" unique varieties in and out of the robin.

However, even if there is already a packet of Variety B in the robin, you can decide to be generous and put in an "extra" packet of Variety B for somebody else to use.

If you find more than one packet of a particular in the robin, that means that somebody put in an "extra" packet to share, and you may take it without necessarily replacing it with a variety that is unique in the robin.

Do I have it? Or are you permitting one duplicate packet to be added of any given variety in the regular trading aspect (not counting "extras") of this robin?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Okay, so in other words again, if you want to take variety A and replace with Variety B, C, D, E or F, but there are already two packets of varieties B, C, D, E and F in the package, then you can't have variety A, and you just send on the package because you didn't have any new varieties available (that there weren't already 2 packets of) to put in the package to replace variety A. Unless you wanted to add some extra packets for others to enjoy. But you still can't have anything out of the package because you have nothing unique to add in.

Or maybe you run to the store really quick and see if you can find any packets of any variety not in the package!

Sorry if I'm being dense. This is my first round robin.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
'So...If There is Already Seed Packets of the Variety of the Tomato in the Round-Robin Package that You Wanted to Add...You May Add Another(1ONLY...for Trading)...And You Can Add All the Additionals of a Variety that You Wish but...These 'Can Not' be Used as...Traded Seed Packets.

As I see it, if you take a package of Zogola and want to replace it with Rutgers, you may do so even though there is already a package of Rutgers included in the RR. You may also include another package of Rutgers if you wish, but this extra pack cannot be used to take out another variety such as Roma (or any other).

I think I have it right?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Big Red, that makes sense... So, you may use one packet of any variety (even one that is already in the box) to trade for another packet in the robin. If you have a variety to trade that is not already in the robin, then you may put in two packets of that variety to trade for two other packets of different varieties from the robin.

I think CMoxon's scenario is unlikely, because there are so many varieties of tomatoes out there. But if it came to that, you could add one more trade packet to the robin even if there were 2 packets of that variety already in there, so you wouldn't end up unable to trade. But this rules out adding 6 packets of 'Burpee's Big Boy' to trade for 6 packets of assorted other varieties and ensures that the robin will have lots of choices in it at every stop.

Lelan is probably right -- we'll get the box, read the instructions and think, well, that's easy enough!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the clarification. It sounds good to me. I thought my scenario might be unlikely, but then I thought by the time the box gets to me, maybe a lot of the more unique ones might have been picked out and replaced with some of the usual favourites we all talk about all the time, such that there were a large number of those varieties that "everybody has." I have ordered some unusual ones so I'm hoping not to have this problem, but I wanted to make sure I understood the rules completely.

Thank goodness I haven't got 6 packets of Burpee's Big Boy!

Yes...Red Has it Exactly!...Thank You.
This Enables Everyone to Participate.
And Don't Worry About Not Being Able to Get the Unusual Varieties.
That is Also the Reason for an Inventory Record.
You Can See Who Added What Seeds.

I am Going to Get These 3 Robins Out this Week or Bust Out Crying Tomato Juice.
I Have...and Will Never Have My Students Help in Processing So Many Seeds.
This Has Developed into a Really Big Nightmare!
And...Also a Lesson in Tomato Seed Processing.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Good Grief Lelan; I hope they didn't mix all the seeds into one big pile.... LOLz!

~* Robin

No...They're Smart Students...They Know Not to Do That but...
I Had a University Student/Teaching Aide Overseeing the Cleaning/Washing of the Seeds.

First They Dumped the Entire Content of Each Variety from a Coffee Cup that Had Been Left to Ferment into the Strainer...Not Taking the Top Molded Residue Out and Throwing it Away...then...
They Left All that Residue that was Left in the Strainer with the Seeds After Washing Them...and Dumped Each Variety with All the Residue Out on Each Paper Plate to Dry.
So Now Everyone Knows Why it's Been a Long Slow Drying Process.

Then Over the Weekend I Took Home to Help Dry Faster a Box Full of Seeds. I Had Stacked About 60 Paper Plates in a Box that Had Almost Dried with All the Residue Mixed in with the Seeds...and Guess What...Now We Have About 60 Varieties of Almost Completely Germinated Seeds On the Paper Plates. So We are Starting Some Varieties Earlier than Normal.

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

Lelan, you have my sympathy! No matter how clear you make your instructions, there's always someone who will mis-interpret them. (This I know very well, since I am the QUEEN of mis-interpretation. If there is more than one way to interpret something, I will choose the wrong way. It has something to do with my having both ADHD and DCD, lol!)

Good luck with your seeds!

Rhonda

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

In looking over your "travel" list, it looks like I somehow got dropped...

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

The DG-system seems a bit kablooy late...

This message was edited Jan 15, 2006 5:34 PM

This message was edited Jan 15, 2006 5:34 PM

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

...and again...

This message was edited Jan 15, 2006 5:35 PM

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

Sequee: I've been seeing messages in 3D all day! ; )

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

What's happening? Did this swap ever get started????

Clovis, CA(Zone 9a)

Still anxiously waiting. .no communication for awhile. I was first on the Flight Path 2 and have already started seeding some varieties, so hope it gets fly'n soon.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Well, I noticed I got added back in, so I see that as a sign that we are still alive. Sure hope it gets going on time for us to get them planted. I am sooooo looking forward to some cool surprises - I have about 12 - 15 varieties set aside... Hoping I can find that many that I don't already have. (Gotta have 'em, gotta have 'em, gotta have 'em!)

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

It doesn't seem it's been started as I believe you are supposed to post that you received the package. Haven't seen any of those. I know I'm on the front end of a flight and I haven't heard anything.
Flip

This message was edited Feb 27, 2006 11:00 PM

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I'm ready for them! Can't wait
Flip

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Flip - Once again, I'm so jealous I could, I could, I could...???

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ZZ, I can't even imagine getting 300 seed packets together at once. You are a PRINCE!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Are you shakin' in yer boots crit??? I am so excited I can hardly see straight!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sequee, I'm trying not to start actually quivering with anticipation until the robin is just a little closer, or it'll be a long wait, LOL. But I have to admit to giving a yell of excitement -- loud enough to quite startle the cat -- when ZZ posted that the robins were in flight!

Clovis, CA(Zone 9a)

WoooHooooo!!!!

Hey flip, I guess you and I get first crack. . .don't know how that happened, but I'm dying with anticipation. I've got my seeds ready, so I can quickly send it 'fly'n' south to Victorville.

Janet 8-))) (who's near to feeling like a kid in a candy store. . .LOL)

Edited to add: Lelan. . .your rest is well-deserved. This ended up being quite an ordeal for you. Just saying 'thanks' doesn't seem enough, but anywho. . .THANKS!!!

This message was edited Jan 27, 2006 4:11 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images