Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Spider Species

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RichSwanner
Citrus Heights, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2005
6:02 AM

Post #1930312

Who is this Spider?

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

December 19, 2005
7:38 PM

Post #1931097

Didn't introduce itself to me but it's an Orbweaver (Araneidae), possibly Genus Larinioides.
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2005
10:07 PM

Post #1932846

I got the chance to watch an orb weaver shooting the silk out as it crawled around to make a new orb.
I had no idea how fast and thick the silk came out . It was really cool to watch. In the spring and summer I have to watch where I walk in the mornings because these are all over the yard, or so it seems. I am always coming face to face with a web it seems.
Edited to add this link of photos
http://www.spiderzrule.com/commonspidersusa.htm
OOOhhhhh! Now I feel itchy.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2005 5:39 PM
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2005
12:20 AM

Post #1933016

I would die if one of those got on me lol. Great pic.
RichSwanner
Citrus Heights, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2005
8:09 AM

Post #1933503

That link is where you will find my Black Widow and Jumping Spider shots. If you check out the Black Widow ones you will see a preview of one of the pictures in Goldfrank's Toxicology Textbook. It is the leading poison prevention book. They ask to use some of my pictures Like this one-Rich

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2005
12:36 PM

Post #1933666

Those spiders are so pretty, aren't they. Our house had a lot of them when we first moved here. They are probably in the crawl space now. I guess they came in with the lumber when the house was built. They liked to nest under the siding where it meets the foundation. Pretty good place to catch food!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2005
8:55 PM

Post #1935752

congrats Rich. I know it makes you proud. I know I am when I am contatcted about my bird pics for education use. Praying I don't have Black Widows here in the new home. I saw some at Kays in Poplarville. She said they like it dry and the new place is dry and wooded.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America