For Breezymeadow...

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I want to tell you THANK YOU for answer my question about my chickens that stopped laying eggs.. Now they lay eggs like crazy! After I got them the laying pellets.. Today I went and surpised with 5 large brown eggs! For now and on, add pellets with the hen stratch. I can't believe it worked! LOL.. Thank you again! I am so happy now and so I guess hens does! LOL

Hugs,
Tricia

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Tricia - you are so very welcome.

I'm so thrilled that your girls are laying for you now & am glad that my suggestion worked for you. Just keep in mind that good nutrition for "the girls" means good nutrition for you.

Laying pellets, scratch feed, & kitchen scraps will keep your girls giving you good quality eggs year round.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Yay, Tricia! Isn't it fun getting those eggs?

These days (since I've penned them in the garden) I give the girls a head of cabbage or similar (bunch of kale, collards) every day and they DEVOUR it.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Be careful with all that cabbage Zeppy - it can end up giving your eggs an unpleasant flavor.

Cabbage, cooking greens (collards, mustard, turnip), broccoli, brussels sprouts, onions, garlic, etc. - if fed frequently &/or in large amounts can give eggs a bitter &/or "off" taste. It won't hurt the birds - just your palate - lol!!!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL.. I did feed broccoli and brussel sprouts sometimes when we have for dinner, not daily. Broccoli always GONE before we give it to them! LOL.. My favorite veg!

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

There's no problem with that - I fed my birds leftover broccoli, sprouts, & cabbage all the time. It just shouldn't be an every-day thing or in huge amounts. And broccoli isn't as bad since it's not very strong-tasting, so you can feed more of it.

And again - it won't hurt the chickens or affect their egglaying. Just might make the eggs taste odd.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Hmmm. Now that you say that, I think I've heard this before. I definitely keep the onions/leeks/garlic away from them, but forgot about the brassicas. Oops! I'll see how the eggies are tasting. Thanks!

Vegas,NV Filbert, SC(Zone 7b)

Brezzy another note for the notebook. I never even thought of that and not one of the books on Chickens that I have read have mentioned that you shouldn't over do on some foods.

I just lurk around here and absorb all the wonderful information that is given. I think I have learned more from these threads about what animals I do and do not want when I move.

Thanks everyone.

Casey

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

You know - I never experimented with the onion/garlic part.

If one fed some peppers, tomatoes, & ham as well, do you think perhaps one might end up with instant Spanish/Western omelette material? - lol!!!!

Vegas,NV Filbert, SC(Zone 7b)

Breezy that can be your winter experiment. Remember to take good notes and pictures are a must. LOL

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

Now that's funny! Breezy - you're too much! Glad you are getting lots of eggs now.

When I first started feeding kitchen scraps to the chickens, I found they would not eat onions or green peppers - they just didn't like them. They do love tomatoes- they will actually fight over tomatoes. When I am growing tomatoes in the garden and get ones that go bad or have a worm in them, I always give them to the chickens. There is something about them eating tomatoes that makes them lay more eggs!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Help.. how to tell hens to slow down to bring me eggs??? LOL I already have over 41 eggs! I have 6 hens and each of them lay 1 egg daily. My DH couldn't believe how quickly they lays eggs daily after started feeding them the laying pellets. LOL

Since I have too many, I need to sell 1 dz each.

Need to know how can I make hen to sit on eggs for chicks.. should I leave eggs alone and will hen sit on it? Suggestion...please lol

I really enjoying collecting the fresh organic eggs daily. ;o)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Trica, some breeds of hens have the setting instincts bred out of them. I suggest you see if you can sell a few of the eggs to help pay the feed bill. Or boil, scramble, etc. and feed to your dogs, cats, back to the birds, etc.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL!!!!! Sorry to laugh at your predicament Mini, but I think this comes under the heading "be careful what you wish for" - LOL!!!!

I used to give my excess eggs away to friends & neighbors, but if you want to sell them, I suggest you ask at your local feed store if you can post some signs accordingly. That's what people around here do. You also frequently see wooden signs at the end of people's driveways advertising egg sales as well, although you might not want people pulling in at all hours.

Apart from upping your intake of omelettes, deviled eggs, baked goods, etc., (& cooking them up for your pets), you can also freeze them, I understand, but there's a certain process you have to follow in order to do this successfully.

As far as allowing your hens to raise chicks - that can be a very dicey business, especially in a flock situation. As Leaflady said, most modern breeds of laying hens have the setting or "broodiness" as it's called, specifically bred out of them. So if you leave the eggs in the nest, all that will happen is that they'll rot &/or the chickens will start eating them - & you definitely DON'T want to start that habit. Even if you did manage to hatch out a few chicks, there's an excellent chance the other chickens would kill them.

I also apologize if this sounds basic - but you do know that you need a rooster in order to get fertile eggs that will hatch? If you have a rooster in your flock & still want to raise chicks, then your best & safest bet is to remove the eggs, hatch them yourself in a commercial incubator, & raise them separately until they're old enough to be put in with the other chickens.

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

Tricia, I wish I had set some aside for when the hens are moulting and don't lay eggs for a few weeks. I have heard people say that they crack the eggs in to an ice tray (one egg per square) and freeze them. After they are frozen solid remove them from the ice tray or stick the whole tray in a freezer bag to keep them sealed up.

I have a plastic dish next to the kitchen sink and whenever I use eggs I rinse the shells out and put them in the dish. After it is full I crunch them up with a tater masher and feed them back to the chickens, it gives them a lot of calcium back and provides some grit.

From now on when you go to potluck dinners and church lunches, bring deviled eggs!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Thank you!

Yes that what I have been thinking about hatch them myself by using the incubator. I need to buy one. My kids like that. Or I can give the eggs to school unless they have the incubator for the eggs for children who want to learn about chick how they come from etc... Good idea!

About sell eggs, I can put sign out there end of the road.. If no eggs, I can put it down. Even I have some people want to buy roosters from me or the eggs , too. That's what I am going to do with eggs....

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

One problem i hvae is when I boil the eggs for about 15 mintues, then cool it with water running.. and when I peel, it's the problem which egg shell stick to the egg. I have hard time to peel them off and it torn up the egg badly! lol

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I've heard that you have to either completely separate or beat the eggs before freezing. Also that you have to add either salt or sugar to the yolks to keep them from being rubbery when thawed & cooked.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Mini - that's a BIG problem when dealing with fresh eggs.

Fresh eggs are virtually IMPOSSIBLE to peel when hardboiled simply because they're fresh. It's due to the fact that fresh eggs have virtually no air space inside. The older the egg, the larger the air space. That's why older supermarket eggs are so much easier to peel.

If you know ahead of time that you'll be wanting to hardboil some eggs, your best bet is to put some eggs aside for a couple of weeks to "age" as "hardboilers".

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

That's why I bought store eggs for boiling only LOL I write the date on eggs with pencil so I will know which is the older or the newest.

For incubator eggs.. eggs should not be in referigate or it will kill the fertilzer. I keep it in room temperature for few days then put in incubator. What I did.. I used the homemade incubator by using foam ice chest.. it works but lots of eggs did not make it. Due not enough humidity in the foam ice chest. Only one survived. It was hatched on Easter day.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Mini - have you considered getting a small home-type commercial incubator? Many of them are very reasonable in price. Here's one site that carries several different models:

http://www.strombergschickens.com/products/basic_incubators.htm

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

I would definately get one with the egg turner, unless you have lots of time. When we hatched the guinea eggs we borrowed an incubator like that and we turned the eggs twice a day. After a while we worked out a system where I would turn them in the morning and DH would turn them in the evening. We put an x on each egg with a marker so we would know which ones we turned - after a while it gets confusing if you don't mark them. considering the time spent on turning eggs - it is worth the money to get the automatic turner.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Thank you.. I would order me with egg turner. I remember I used to turn the eggs twice.. It's trouble and the heat air leaked out quickly . That's why few eggs didn't make it.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Thank you.. I would order me with egg turner. I remember I used to turn the eggs twice.. It's trouble and the heat air leaked out quickly . That's why few eggs didn't make it.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Mini - here's some good info on how to freeze eggs & end up with a good product once they're thawed:

http://www.georgiaeggs.org/pages/freezingeggs.html

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

And for lots of regular egg recipes:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/eggs.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images