Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Container Gardening: You have too many plants

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 405, Views: 7,440
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kattamos
Atlanta, GA

December 25, 2005
1:30 AM

Post #1938569

An outrageous accusation!There's no such thing.Enough plants...yes.Too many...never.Post some pics of last summer's lushness and help me prove my point.

Thumbnail by kattamos
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

December 25, 2005
1:32 AM

Post #1938570

There's enough room to get through the door.

This message was edited Dec 24, 2005 9:39 PM

Thumbnail by kattamos

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

December 25, 2005
2:36 AM

Post #1938629

kattamos - thanks for posting, very tropical and lush! Just what I needed, a glimpse of summer's bounty. Your gardens are very beautiful.

gumlla

gumlla
Mirpur (A.K)
Pakistan
(Zone 9b)

December 25, 2005
4:39 AM

Post #1938706

Beautiful...beautiful... an so lovely enterance.
Kaleem
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2005
2:02 PM

Post #1938835

What a nice Christmas present. Thank you!. But it can't be enough plants... there must be room to squeeze in one more special one? Always! Kristi
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2005
9:32 PM

Post #1939133

beautiful, takes my breath away
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 26, 2005
12:04 AM

Post #1939229

WOW gorgeous ! Do they live threw the winter or do you take them in ?
kattamos
Atlanta, GA

December 27, 2005
2:47 PM

Post #1941072

They spend the winter in a dark unheated basement and come out in late March.It looks sad and empty without them.

Thumbnail by kattamos

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

December 27, 2005
5:16 PM

Post #1941269

What is that in the planter to the left?
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

December 27, 2005
10:56 PM

Post #1941651

Those are all grown in containers? It is gorgeous!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2005
8:22 PM

Post #1942847

I wanted to come live with you until I saw that ice shot. Forget about it now. LOL. I have never seen such lush begonias. What is your secret with them?

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

December 28, 2005
9:34 PM

Post #1942926

Thank you all for the positive feedback.Now for the answers.
PrarieGirl,in the winter shot,the tall plant is a wisteria trained into tree form with a frozen pansy at its feet.
Callalily, It is all in containers.The patio faces east and keeps them from cooking in their pots.
Kell,Begonias love the Southeast US.The balmy nights and a shaded location are all they seem to need.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2005
2:06 AM

Post #1943345

Gosh, I wish I had balmy nights. And look at the size of those leaves. Just amazing. I have to send this link to Lali, she just LOVES begonias and will be an instant fan of yours.
escubed
Brookline, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2005
6:00 AM

Post #1943605

Truly you have set a high bar for everyone else to acheive. You might consider moving your house numbers as the foliage might cause the UPS truck to miss your next plant delivery. Wonderful garden!!!!!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2005
3:01 PM

Post #1943906

Kattamos, please tell me about the rings that are holding the pots on the brick wall. Did you buy? make yourself? Information, please. thanks.
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

December 29, 2005
8:06 PM

Post #1944324

kattamos - oooh, that just gives me the shivers thinking of how fragrant it must be when the
wisteria is in bloom!
mornin_gayle
Bloomingdale, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2005
11:48 PM

Post #1946680

Wow. I don't know what else to say!

I opened another window and showed my dh your first pic and the icy pic side by side. Even he was impressed, and let me tell you this is high praise coming from him!

I am in awe of your achievement!

mg
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2005
1:03 AM

Post #1946786

Beautiful entry and brick patio area. I was surprised to see the ice photos. We rarely have ice like that here. Right now we could have because we have been receiving rain or slush almost every day since Christmas, but not warm enough to freeze, thankgoodness.

DonnaS
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

December 31, 2005
1:58 AM

Post #1946884

Not sad and empty looking at all, rather an example that illustrates the concept of good structural bones underlying the garden setting. Quite an accomplishment really, even if apparently accidental! Aren't those the best surprises after all?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2006
3:23 AM

Post #1961490

Kattamos,

Just saw your thread tonight. Gorgeous, and mostly just gorgeous foliage, too! (instead of fantastic fancy flowers, I mean. I used to think foliage was boring, but now I see the error of my ways...) I have two questions:

1. Is there actually space to get to that table and sit in those chairs?
2. Could you possibly take a picture of your "dark unheated basement (with plants)"? Everyone always talks about the basements their plants overwinter in... I'd like to see one for once...:-)

I wanna come live with you too! Congratulations!

xxxxxx, Carrie
kattamos
Atlanta, GA

January 9, 2006
3:21 AM

Post #1963430

Thanks again for the positive feedback.
Sorry to be away for so long.To answer your questions...
Escubed...The UPS driver and the postman are always welcome to take five on the patio.We're on a 1st
name basis.
Vossner...The pot rings are from the Hookery in Vermont.4,6,8,10,& 12 inch rings are available.www.vermont.zoovy.com or web search for other sources.I used1/4 x 1 lead masonry anchors to mount to brick with no troubles in 3 + years.
Prairiegirlz5...The wisteria is but the start of the show.After that,the night blooming tobacco and brugmansia and
cereus take over making the patio fragrant.
Morning gayle...Thanks for your compliments.I don't know that I would do so well in your challenging climate zone.
Rutholive...Ice storms are a strange thing.Typically 30 miles wide by 300 miles long.Arctic air on the ground with warm moist Gulf Of Mexico air over the top creates havoc here every couple of years.
Carrie...There is room to sit comfortably at the table and watch the hummingbirds come and go.Scary ,unheated,unlit,dirt floor basement pictures coming soon.
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2006
8:35 AM

Post #1963670

kattamos, catching up on the forums and just found this - absolutely gorgeous! And those Begonias - WOW! (especially the 'Escargot')
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2006
2:25 PM

Post #1963970

We were supposed to receive snow during the night. When I went to bed it was 32 degrees and i could look up and see the hazy moon. When I got up this morning it was 35 degrees and raining. The prediction for the entire week is for either rain or snow. We really need the snow in the mountains, actually it has rained a lot here in lower elevation but not complaining we need all the moisture we can get. So no Snow pictures. DonnaS
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2006
7:00 PM

Post #1964421

kattamos,
If I ever come to Atlanta may I PLEASE have a tour of your garden? I promise to bring a gift!

How lovely indeed! Your own Garden of Eden...and no dead-heading!

What an inspiration, thanks for sharing!
Heather
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

January 9, 2006
7:20 PM

Post #1964463

kattamos,
I learned recently about the night-blooming cereus from a friend. Did you know that this was the plant that Dennis the Menace prevented Mr. Wilson from seeing it's fleeting bloom? Is that one of the plants you overwinter? Just curious. My basement is finished and too warm for over-wintering plants (I'm attempting a few houseplants and they look fried), but my garage would be okay, if I made room! I would really like to try it.
MsHansen
Aarhus
Denmark
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2006
12:04 PM

Post #1965814

Kattamos, you have made a convert out of me... I am so going to have more foliage an fewer flowering plants on my balcony this summer. Absolutely beautiful - and less deadheading, yay :-)

Could you please tell me the name of this plant from your picture? It's stunning.

Thumbnail by MsHansen

stownes
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2006
6:03 PM

Post #1966590

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for also letting us see it in the winter so we can see your arrangement for containers. I am so impressed and inspired.
Sharon
kattamos
Atlanta, GA

January 17, 2006
1:03 AM

Post #1981726

I'm glad you like my garden/patio.
Prairie...I grow epiphyllum , not the true night blooming cereus.It does well inside for the winter in a bright window and sometimes blooms.It is a rainforest cactus and hates the cold.
MsHansen...That plant is a rex begonia called escargot.Don't let it's looks deceive you ,it is easy to grow. Even Felix (cat) leaves it alone.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2006 1:17 PM
MsHansen
Aarhus
Denmark
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2006
2:18 AM

Post #1981905

Thank you so much! I only knew the flowering begonias from my mom's - now I'll have to go Google "rex begonia" until I'm blue in the face. Are those the ones mentioned above who like balmy nights and some shade?
jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2006
10:44 AM

Post #1982391

I'm curious as to what the purple hued plant is next to the escargot...lol. The patio is absolutely beautiful and it's hard to believe they are potted plants. Obviously I can do more than I have been doing. Your photo has been a huge inspiration !!!!!
Your patio has been my "windows wallpaper" the past several wks...lol.

~Julie =0)
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2006
4:36 AM

Post #1984276

kattamos, thanks oodles for the inspiration! I have a north facing balcony, and I try so hard to get it to look beautiful with flowers. Now that I see your stunning shade garden, I'm inspired to do better with foliage plants, even begonias which till now I've absolutely hated!
stownes
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2006
4:09 PM

Post #1984967

You now have me on a mission to acquire foliage plants, especially begonias! I have two that were from cuttings from Mom, a beefsteak type that is starting to bloom, and a very fuzzy, deeply cut rex type. Do you have a favorite source for yours? So many online companies seem kinda pricey.
Sharon
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2006
1:05 PM

Post #1992837

I just found this thread - how absolutely beautiful!!! I would love to do that with my patio, but it gets way too much sun since the huge Oak was taken down.
kattamos
Atlanta, GA

January 23, 2006
12:23 AM

Post #1994170

The purple plants near Escargot Rex are: below a random coleus
: left another rex begonia
Don't let zone or exposure stop you from making a foliage display.
Here are some adaptable and easy plants.
variegated New Guinea Impatiens with the bright coral flowers
variegated geranium "Vancouver Centennial" ( I think)
coleus "alabama sunset and black stripe"
chartreuse elephant ear "Lime Ginger"
sweet potatoe vines" Margarita and Blackie"

Thumbnail by kattamos

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

January 23, 2006
12:35 AM

Post #1994211

some more sun hardy plants
left center "Persian Shield" a metallic purple unmatched by anything
bottom left a bright chartreuse hosta (don't know the name but tough as nails and not hard to find)
mid right "Melianthus Major" honey bush my 1st time growing this. Liked it's looks ,will let you know how it overwintered
assorted coleus all over the place

Thumbnail by kattamos

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

January 23, 2006
12:40 AM

Post #1994224

This one is called Chicken Gizzard Plant (Iresene I think)
This is not a good picture because the vivid hot pink and dark purple contrast confuses my camera. In person, this is the brightest plant I have ever grown.

Thumbnail by kattamos

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

January 23, 2006
12:43 AM

Post #1994234

Another Rex Begonia found at Pikes Nusery here in GA.
I don't know the name except 4 inch pot 5$

Thumbnail by kattamos

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

January 23, 2006
12:50 AM

Post #1994249

elephant ear "Nancy's Revenge" the most intruiging plant name I've ever heard
Grows in sun to part shade

Thumbnail by kattamos

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2006
12:52 AM

Post #1994253

I just love the Persian Shield. I have been looking for it in my area for quite some time now and have yet to find it. I think it is so pretty and I would love to have some in my garden, the one that I would like to have but I'm sort of scared to start. Maybe I will get up the nerve to start growing something outside this year. My problem is, I don't know when to start growing what. Also, do you buy the plants that you grow or do you start them from seed? I would really like to know more about this. Thank you.

JesseK
kattamos
Atlanta, GA

January 23, 2006
5:24 PM

Post #1995225

JesseK... If you have time and the space,growing from seed can be fun and a $ saver.Persian shield likes some AM sun but will fade in hot afternoon sun (my variety anyway).I bring it outside in April and it starts putting out new leaves in about a week. Gardening is always a work in progress,don't worry about a few mistakes.There is a wealth of good advice for beginners on the forums here on Dave's garden .Just key in "new gardener" in the search engine.
indyfilmz
Asheville, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2006
1:52 PM

Post #1996998

Too many plants? Reminds me of Amadeus movie where Mozart was accused by king of having too many notes!
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2006
3:44 PM

Post #1997199

Persian Shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus) is easy to start from cuttings and can take full sun as long as it has plenty of water. It can wilt easily in hot sun (so do a lot of other plants) but always perks up after the sun fades or it is watered well.

I bought it years ago in Rome, GA when it was quite rare at the local nurseries. It has become mainstream since you can pick it up at several different nurseries nowadays.

Here is a picture of it sharing a pot with a bird-of-paradise (Strelitzia reginae) I grew from seed.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

January 24, 2006
11:58 PM

Post #1998036

kattamos - did you buy all of these at your local nursery? I worked at a nursery this past summer, every time they got something really good it sold out pretty quick. Especially if the flats were displayed next to something that complemented them and shared the same growing conditions, many times it was simply a matter of showing the customer how to combine plants in a basket or container.
I am a beginner myself, and was heartsick to learn that I could have kept my coleus. I have heard they make good houseplants. I got a fantastic deal on The Flume, a one gallon pot for $6, and I had a few others that were not as unusual that I would've kept. How exactly do you overwinter yours? Do you water the plants in the basement for the winter? Here they are treated mostly as annuals. Thanks for the help.

p.s. Have also added rex begonia, caladiums, and elephant ears to must have list.
Guess you could say you're an enabler in my addiction. Hee hee.
kattamos
Atlanta, GA

January 25, 2006
4:30 AM

Post #1998617

hcmcdole... You're right on about Persian Shield. Mine is in a pot and gets cut back by 2/3 and put in a dark unheated basement every year. It comes back vigorously when warm weather returns.
kattamos
Atlanta, GA

January 25, 2006
4:34 AM

Post #1998620

indyfilmz...A few more could fit in there...but this whole biomass concept escapes the tidy mind.
kattamos
Atlanta, GA

January 25, 2006
4:45 AM

Post #1998626

PraieGirlz5...I overwinter what I can and buy the rest at the local nurseries.The key to over wintering is to not over water.A generous splash in a cold basement every 3 weeks works well here in the ATL area.Here's another super easy plant for the new gardener.
Iron Cross Oxalis:grows from a tiny tuber and combines well with almost anything.

Thumbnail by kattamos

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

January 25, 2006
4:58 AM

Post #1998641

indyfilmz...You are right about about about garden critics. If they had any real skill in the plant realm they would be creating instead of criticizing. Always a critic and never an artist...a truly sad and bitter fate.

Thumbnail by kattamos

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

January 25, 2006
6:11 AM

Post #1998686

Wow! Is that the epi? Kewl pic.

I like oxalis too, I didn't know it was a tuber. There is one called Oxalis spiralis subsp. vulcanicola (I looked it up!) that is purple with yellow flowers, I saw this planted in a shady spot this fall at a nursery nearby, it was a little gem. It was planted between some stepping stones, I spent so much time admiring it, the owner asked me if I wanted to dig some up, I should have said he**yeah, but I was too shy. Maybe next time, LOL.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2006 6:02 PM
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2006
9:53 AM

Post #1998755

Oh my. What a beautiful plant. I love the Iron Cross Oxalis. I just have to have some of that. What exactly is a tuber? Whatever that is, I just have to have one. It really is pretty.

JesseK
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2006
11:11 AM

Post #1998835

I love the Persian Shield - it is now on Spring garden wish list along with Astilbe Color Flash.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2006
1:38 PM

Post #1999064

JesseK, Here is some info probably more than you wanted to know, from my Ato Z book. Tuber- swollen root or underground stem.
Bulb- modified subterranean bud, whith short thick stem and fleshy scale leaves or leaf bases.

The two are sometimes used interchangeably.

Brent & Beckys list Oxalis tetraphylla 'Iron Cross' at 10 for $3.00. You could plant that many in an 8" pot.

I have grown them several times. This year for some reason none have shown up in the pot I have out in the gh.

DonnaS
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2006
4:24 PM

Post #1999435

Truly amazing you really gave me inspiration to plant more and more..!Looks great and sure will be coping lots of your ideas...!.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2008 5:40 PM
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2006
7:52 PM

Post #1999844

Rutholive,

Thanks for that information. I love to learn new things. I will have to check into getting that. I think that my DH would really like this one. I did not know what Brent and Becky's was but I googled them and found so many wonderful things. I would love to have them allllll. LOL And they grow in my zone. Once again, thanks.

JesseK
NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2006
12:09 AM

Post #2000353

This Purple upfront and the back one is Green Oxalis. They are both multiple; little tiny bulbs in their pots that come back and bloom year after year. They live on my windowsill during the winter months.

~* Robin

Thumbnail by NatureWalker

NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2006
12:15 AM

Post #2000375

I like this one too; which is hibernating in the basement right now; Purple Heart, Purple Queen, Wandering Jew 'Purple Heart' (Tradescantia pallida) http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1160/index.html

~* Robin

Thumbnail by NatureWalker

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2006
12:23 AM

Post #2000396

Can the Oxalis be grown as a regular houseplant? I have never seen them before but I am in love. I just have to have some of them. They are so pretty.

JesseK
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2006
1:20 PM

Post #2001507

JesseK,

You should be able to grow oxalis (shamrocks) outdoors in your area. They are hardy in the Atlanta area so you should have no problems in Durham. They usually sell bunches of these at local nurseries and the big 3 during Valentines and St. Patrick's Day. Both the green leaf and purple leaf varieties are very easy to grow and can become almost weedy. If you break off a small part of the tuber and drop it on some bare ground, then you will usually have a new plant there. Same goes for 'Purple Heart' (setcreasea pallida).

Here are some green and purple shamrocks, formosa lilies, alstroemeria, clematis, and money plant in early April 3 years ago. By May the leaves should be twice the size. If it gets hot and dry the leaves may fall off, but have no fear - they will be back with a vengeance when they are watered well (the tubers/rhizomes keep them going).

Butch

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2006
10:09 PM

Post #2018198

kat---

Did you say what kind of fertilizer you use?!!

Great looking walled garden! Wonderful containers.

thanks for posting. t.
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2006
1:17 AM

Post #2020807

WOW! What spectacular & colorful foliage plants you have in your garden! It looks like you live in a botanical nursery!!
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2006
5:39 AM

Post #2021465

Do your shamrocks bloom outside? Never thought of trying that.
NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2006
6:25 AM

Post #2021481

Yesh; they very well do!

See my picture above... on the patio table; taken in early summer, formally in zone 4b!

~* Robin
jasmerr
Merrimac, WI
(Zone 4b)

February 6, 2006
9:50 PM

Post #2027002

Kat - Your plants are beautiful! What kind of begonias are these?

Thumbnail by jasmerr

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2006
4:37 AM

Post #2030183

Kat~
I would seriously like to see what all these plants look like in the cold unheated basement being kept alive by a splash of H2O every month!
xxxxxx, Carrie
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2006
3:33 PM

Post #2035061

kattamos - stunning - gorgeous - beautiful - breath taking. It's truly magical. I came here for some inpiration but now feel helpless to even try to accomplish what you've done so well!
purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2006
5:21 PM

Post #2035294

my shamrocks (oxalis) grows in the ground, comes up in Jan. and dies back during hot weather. I have seen these sold in garden shop of grocery stores beginning first of March and then after St. Pat's. Day, they sell them for clearance.
I tried to post a picture but couldn't get it to go thru. New at this, any help is appreciated.

thanks,
chris
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 10, 2006
6:37 PM

Post #2035458

Chris - Are they the purple ones? I will keep an eye out for them here. It may be too early to plant them in the ground for a couple of months, that's why I missed them before?
purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2006
8:01 PM

Post #2035615

mine are the green ones with lavender flowers. They have flowers on them now. Haven't tried the purple ones, but think I will get some and mix in with the green ones.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2006
8:55 PM

Post #2035732

What the rabbits see in July. ;o)

Al

Thumbnail by tapla

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 10, 2006
9:32 PM

Post #2035829

Very nice Al, I wish it WAS July!
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2006
10:23 PM

Post #2035962

purplepetunia, let us know what your problems are with posting photos and we'll definitely help!
purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2006
11:58 PM

Post #2036201

shamrock

Thumbnail by purplepetunia

purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2006
12:00 AM

Post #2036206

It finally went thru. I tried several times and could not get the pic to go thru, don't know why.
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 11, 2006
12:39 AM

Post #2036310

oh, you mean the shamrocks are green and the blooms are purple? I was thinking the oxalis were purple and the blooms were yellow!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2006
2:24 PM

Post #2039796

Terrific Thread Kattamos! I just love your "too many plants". And I'm curious to see that basement
picture, even if it is scarey. My grandmother used to keep her rex begonias in the basement over
the winter - I remember seeing them hanging there, with dry soil looking kinda sad. I now have several
grown from cuttings from her plants. But the largest of mine is in the house, constantly plotting to take
over the entire first floor!
Tam

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2006
2:06 AM

Post #2041391

Hey you guys with digital cameras,
You're not posting all these gorgeous pictures (especially Tapla and purplepetunia of late, but starting with kattamos, of course) just to make me feel inadequate, are you?

I didn't think so.
xxxxxxxxxx, Carrie
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2006
5:21 PM

Post #2042480

This is a great thread Kat, I've enjoyed it from the beginning! You have some drop dead gorgeous plants!!!

I just love Oxalis! So far, I've only grown the purple kind and just love it for it's ability to make such a huge statement! I order bulbs from Brent&BeckysBulbs each year. It is a cheap way of having a lot of color. I'm very impressed with your Iron Cross Oxalis...I'm going to add that to my order this year. Keep the pics coming you all! I'm counting down til spring here...and it seems like it's taking a miserably long time! LOL

Here is a pic of my oxalis...I put about 75 bulbs in this garden bed every year around Mother's Day. It sure makes me happy!

Thumbnail by Brinda

Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2006
5:22 PM

Post #2042483

Up close...

Thumbnail by Brinda

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 13, 2006
6:11 PM

Post #2042568

Brinda - Great pics of combinations using foliage as the main ingredients. Love your pool tile too, very nice!
purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2006
10:49 PM

Post #2043025

Carrie, you don't know how long it took me to get my digital pictures to go thru. I am not very smart with these things.
Brinda, your purple oxalis is very pretty. I will get some of that soon.
Chris
NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2006
11:08 PM

Post #2043066

Carrie, don't despair; sometimes you just have to keep snapping away at them when they move around with the wind; just like the kids always did!

~* Robin
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2006
11:45 PM

Post #2043179

Oh thanks you guys! This was a good reminder that I needed to visit Brent&Beckys. I just placed my order for Oxalis - regnellii var. triangularis and also ordered the Iron Cross variety! Iron Cross is new to me and I'm really excited for it.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

February 14, 2006
1:43 AM

Post #2043473

Brinda, this place where you got your Oxalis bulbs do they do mail order. the bulbs I got came from Brecks, so you can imagine what I paid for them. Please let me know.
Thanks
Sylvia
TexasBlueBonnet
Sour Lake, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2006
1:50 AM

Post #2043484

All the pics are wonderful on here. I was wondering what kind of digital camera
everyone has. I am in the market to purchase one but not sure what kind I want
or should get. I know this isn't the right forum to ask this question but I thought
with all the pics on here someone might have an opinion or can give me some
ideas.

Thanks,
Angela
purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2006
9:51 AM

Post #2043955

Angela, I have a Canon S230. It is very small and I keep it in my purse frequently. Would not go back to film camera. Sometimes I print my own pics. and sometimes I take the card to Walmart to print them. Someone told me it is cheaper to do it at Walmart than to print them on the pc. Does anyone have comments on this????

Happy shopping
Chris
GreenThumbGreen
Chanute, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2006
11:27 AM

Post #2044013

"Someone told me it is cheaper to do it at Walmart than to print them on the pc."

In my opinion, this statement is true. I don't have statistics on how much ink it takes a printer to print a batch of photos, but I imagine that it takes quite a bit, and replacement ink cartriges , especially color, cost sometimes as much as $50 apiece.
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2006
11:28 AM

Post #2044015

It cost's me ~$0.21 per photo to print off my pc. I see that Walmart charges $0.12? So I would definitely say there is a savings there. I would probably have them print pics if I taken a lot on vacation, but it is so much more convenient when you don't have to go anywhere. I've found this website that seems to have some of the best prices for my printing supplies http://www.printsavings.com/
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2006
11:39 AM

Post #2044025

Let me elaborate - I have both an Epson Picture Mate [PM] and a regular Epson Photo Printer - I use the PM for my 4x6 photos. I purchased a print pack [they were on sale, so I ordered 3 packs right away] which includes the ink and 100 4x6 glossy photo sheets for $21.18. If you were to add up the cost of gas to get to Walmart and back - it probably works out to be the same or close to it. I just find it alot more convenient to print from home. Again, as I said before - if I had a full card(s) and wanted them all printed, I would definitely go to Walmart, although I would probably also check out BJ Wholesale prices as well.
TexasBlueBonnet
Sour Lake, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2006
12:53 PM

Post #2044121

Thank you so much for the replies. Now I will show my ignorance again ...
what is BJ's?

So I take it you are happy with your Canon S230? I see so many wonderful
pictures on the forum and often wonder what camera they use. I will keep
watching this thread and hope that others will let me know good or bad
their experiences with their digital cameras.

Thank you for letting me know what you have purplepetunia.

Angela
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2006
1:10 PM

Post #2044147

BJ's is a wholesale club - like Sam's Club or Costco.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #2044473

I have a Fuji A340 which I absolutely adore. I got it as a Christmas present from DH and I kiss him daily for it. A little model I can stick in my purse or in my pocket.

As a beginner digital camera enthusiast, I think you will find many models that will suit your needs, so you might just want to focus on your budget for this wonderful toy. I think a camera shop (as opposed to Walmart) would be very helpful in helping you select a model, provided you don't get some gloomy teenager, lol.

Names I hear most often: Cannon, Fuji, Sony.

I'm w/ everybody about printing cost. Up to now, cheaper to develop at WM than do at home. Photo ink and paper cost a bundle! THere is a thread here somewhere in which this topic was discussed, if I can find it I will post a link.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2006
5:39 PM

Post #2044639

I found it!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/518700/
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2006
7:00 PM

Post #2044755

sedrick, the website where I get the Oxalis is http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/ I have ordered from them for about 5 years or so and have been extremely pleased with everything that I've received. The Oxalis regnellii var. triangularis are priced 50 bulbs for $20.00. The are very small bulbs, almost remind me of a grub worm (yuck). And the Iron Cross is 50 for $12.00. You'll have to let me know how they do for you.
TexasBlueBonnet
Sour Lake, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2006
8:03 PM

Post #2044862

Thanks so much vossner and others. This has helped me a lot!!!
purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2006
10:38 PM

Post #2045189

thanks Brinda, I will be placing an order.
jooolster
Santa Barbara, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 15, 2006
1:19 AM

Post #2045476

This is Oxalis 'Zinfandel' which I find at the local nurseries. Non-invasive but spreads out from the main plant to make a nice clump.

Thumbnail by jooolster

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 15, 2006
3:17 AM

Post #2045726

this is what I saw! thanks for posting joolster, I'll look for this at my local nursery!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2006
12:45 PM

Post #2046033

i love the plant, but I adore the planter!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2006
12:53 PM

Post #2046044

Oh Voss - you're right! That planter is adorable!
Tam
lindanat
Asbury Park, NJ

February 15, 2006
1:34 PM

Post #2046127

Kattamos,

Just found your pix (so much more interesting than all the laundry i've got waiting). add me to your list of fans and thanks for your generous and encouraging replies.

Where'd you get that chicken gizzard plant? i've got to have one. thanks!
kattamos
Atlanta, GA

February 16, 2006
2:35 AM

Post #2047878

I never excepted this thread to get as many hits as it did. I am sorry about my slow response times. I am on the road a LOT lately. A battery operated drip system keeps them watered ,fed , and happy while I am OTR .

This message was edited Feb 15, 2006 10:36 PM

Thumbnail by kattamos

Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2006
3:00 AM

Post #2047915

cool pic - 'solitary' comes to mind
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2006
6:05 PM

Post #2048993

kattamos

Could you tell me more about your battery operated drip system? I have so many plants and have no idea how this could be possible with so many. How do you do this?

JesseK
stownes
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2006
7:27 PM

Post #2049207

I'm interested in the drip system, too :-)
Sharon
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2006
8:02 PM

Post #2049263

I would also like to know more about the drip system too..!!

Loretta..
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2006
10:09 PM

Post #2049549

me too!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2006
10:12 PM

Post #2049560

I'm listening also...
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 17, 2006
2:17 AM

Post #2050051

We're all waiting. However, if I put in a drip system, I'd lose my excuse for not going to my sister's place. I absolutely hate the drive up there and it's even worse coming back. I always tell her I can't leave my plants. I'd have to find a new excuse (LOL).
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 17, 2006
2:24 AM

Post #2050061

Car trouble?
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2006
2:43 AM

Post #2050094

Don't tell her you got it.. ;o)))

Loretta..
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2006
2:47 AM

Post #2050103

Well all I know is that I'm going to be in WI for most of a week in July (NALS Lily Show) and my plants won't survive if I don't do something for them before hand. DH is wonderful but he has other responsibilities to attend to.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

February 17, 2006
3:00 AM

Post #2050117

Hey guys, here is the link to the system i have been using for the last six or seven years. All PVC tubing, just have a man around to attach 1/4 inch tubing to the one inch tubing. :) but it has all kind of attachments.

http://www.dripirrigation.com/

Sylvia
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2006
4:03 AM

Post #2050438

I went to that site and looked and they have some great stuff, but I have 275 plants. How can I afford a system that will water 275 plants? That is what I have yet to figure out. Anyone have any ideas?

JesseK
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 17, 2006
4:51 AM

Post #2050514

Getting up an hour earlier has always worked for me!
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2006
5:32 AM

Post #2050562

LOL, I like that.

JesseK
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2006
8:59 AM

Post #2050644

beaker, I like Loretta's idea - "Don't tell her you got it.. ;o)))" LOL.

JesseK, sounds like Walmart is beckoning you to buy more hoses and sprinklers :)
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2006
1:33 PM

Post #2050943

JesseK the best idea that I have for your 275 plants is give them all to me..I will be sure to keep them all watered for you..!! :o)))

Loretta..
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 17, 2006
3:05 PM

Post #2051107

I like Loretta's idea best too! :-)

Why not hire a neighbor kid to water the plants? I would think that's a summer job most kids would enjoy, and if you're growing any vegetables you would need someone to harvest for you anyway, and that could be part of the payment! Just a thought...but I'm lucky, my niece and nephews live right down the street from us.
kattamos
Atlanta, GA

February 17, 2006
9:36 PM

Post #2051969

Last summer I was running about 300 emitters on my drip system.This is what worked for me.The fundamental part is the drippers themselves.They come in different capacities like 1/2 , 1 and 2 gallon per hour flow.I use 1/2 GPH.For large plantings like brugmansias, I use as many as 6 in one pot.If one dripper clogs, the others will keep the plant watered.The kits come with a few plastic stakes to anchor the drippers in the soil. Any extras needed are easily made from a wire hanger.

Thumbnail by kattamos

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

February 17, 2006

Post #2051970

The barbed T fitting that fits on the1/4 inch tubing supply line. 1/4 inch tubing has a limited flow so I only run 40 or less drippers off each supply line.

Thumbnail by kattamos

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

February 17, 2006

Post #2051972

the fitting that mounts 1/4 inch tube to a hose faucet.

Thumbnail by kattamos

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

February 17, 2006
9:37 PM

Post #2051975

A kit is a good way to try drip irrigation and see if it works for you. After that, you can order the tubing and fittings in bulk from online places like dripworks or mrdrip. This way you can get your per pot cost below 50 cents. Sorry I have not figured out to post a hyperlink yet.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2006 8:47 PM

Thumbnail by kattamos

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

February 17, 2006
9:40 PM

Post #2051981

This timer was 25$ at home depot last year. Cheaper than most it worked just fine in my absence.

Thumbnail by kattamos

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

February 17, 2006
9:41 PM

Post #2051986

You will need a splitter to run multiple lines. Inexpensive plastic ones work just fine.

Thumbnail by kattamos

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

February 17, 2006
9:50 PM

Post #2052004

When I am over the road , it's nice to know the garden is watered.

Thumbnail by kattamos

tazzy
Sand Springs, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2006
9:51 PM

Post #2052010

great plants and pictures ,
thank you for brighting my day
kattamos
Atlanta, GA

February 18, 2006
1:10 AM

Post #2052466

Thanks Tazzy. I want to encourage others to attempt new things. Most climate zones have wonderful plant combinations waiting to happen. I live in the subtropical south. Plants that dislike humidity and heat just melt here every summer. The midwest has lots of pontential .
tazzy
Sand Springs, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2006
3:35 PM

Post #2053490

same here its sand and hot
most plants in ground are dead by july
or water bill is in $$$$$

Thumbnail by tazzy

llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2006
3:37 PM

Post #2053494

I see hope for my plants this summer!

Now I just need to get that leaky faucet fixed so I don't get a lake at the low spot next to the skirting.

Thanks for all the info :-)
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

February 18, 2006
4:11 PM

Post #2053545

Jesse the system kattamos is showing is almost identical to mine. My system start up cost is about 20.00. the timer I added cost me 31.00. Its really inexpensive to use. The only setback for me is is attaching the* 1/4 inch tubing in the 1 inch tubing. Thats where one of those strong teenage boys come in. I just could not punch those holes. but I think they came out with something new to do that.the gratest think about this system is you can add and take away as you see fit.
http://www.dripirrigation.com/drip_irrigation.php?cPath=40_72

I see where they have come up with a new puncher, got to try that. :)
Sylvia
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 18, 2006
9:53 PM

Post #2054327

tazzy - that's the kewlest looking plant! What is it exactly?

hag49
China Spring, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2006
10:14 PM

Post #2054371

love your garden./ pure heaven. love your road shots, too
still waiting for the basement photos,though..gotta see that
hilary
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2006
10:21 PM

Post #2054382

I wanna see the basement shots too,gotta know how she arranges them...!! :o)

Loretta...
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2006
11:26 PM

Post #2054497

If you buy drip/mister irrigation at either Home Depot or Lowe's, then stay with that store. I made the mistake of buying from both places and they are hard to splice together.

They are lifesavers when it comes to watering chores for potted plants, but it is hard to hide the tubing so it can be ugly for some folks. Also let the main tubing heat up in the sun to avoid kinks when running it along paths. They also sell spray heads that can be quarter circle, half circle, full circle, etc. with adjustable flow rates - this helps cover larger areas instead of individual emitters for groups of pots. You can hang spray heads upside down from trees that your hanging pots are in as well (like they do at the garden centers). After a few days of watering with this method, you can figure out which pots need more water and which ones need less and change emitters/sprayers as seen fit.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2006
10:33 PM

Post #2056650

Basement pix! Basement pix! Basement pix! Basement pix! Basement pix! Basement pix! We want to see the basement, kattamos. I have a basement and a crawl space and a garage, and I sure hate the ritual of discarding the annuals that are done for the year.

xxxxxxxxxxx, Carrie
missg
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2006
2:04 AM

Post #2057171

Hi Kattamos,
I'm new to Dave's garden just had to tell you
how much i enjoyed the pictures of your gardens
beautiful and lush
when i start on my garden maybe i can get some
pointers
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2006
2:11 AM

Post #2057191

I do not know how I would go about making an indoor system. I have so many plants and I can't figure out how I would even get started. Is there any information/pictures where this is used strictly for indoor plants?

JesseK
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2006
2:27 AM

Post #2057227

I have limited space also,so I would like to see how she stores them for the winter..I don't think there is any info about making an indoor system to show us how it's done..

Loretta...
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2006
3:43 PM

Post #2058204

Heres a little "Lushness" from summer 2005. It's the fence line bed. just off our covered patio. we love the view.
Deanna

Thumbnail by Sashagirl

Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2006
3:47 PM

Post #2058217

Wow very nice..What's those pink flowers on the lower right hand corner and the greens on the fence??

Loretta...
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2006
4:16 PM

Post #2058300

Mandevilla? That is a beautiful picture, Deanna! Now that you've managed to wet our appetite...show us more pics! LOL
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2006
4:34 PM

Post #2058359

Ok, Ok, since you asked *grinning here*- thought you'd never ask! (:-}

Thumbnail by Sashagirl

Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2006
4:35 PM

Post #2058363

Thanks Brinda thats what it is..Yeah Deanna we want to see more.. :o))

Loretta...
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2006
4:39 PM

Post #2058373

Got time for another? My DH makes fun of my flamingo, but I think he's (the flamingo, not DH) so cute with the Astilbe!

Thumbnail by Sashagirl

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2006
4:47 PM

Post #2058397

I'm sorry,Brinda! To answer your question-yes, it is a mandevilla. By Fall, heart frame completely covered.The vine on the fence is Virginia Creeper!
How many of you enjoy just foliage? We do-a lot. Check this one out.It,s ground cover in one of my large semi-shade beds (creeping jenny, ajuga, and creeping sedum). I've since added plectranthus vines for even more show.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2006 4:04 PM

Thumbnail by Sashagirl

Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2006
5:04 PM

Post #2058435

Deanna, so very pretty!!! And I just love your flamingo! I'm the same about foliage...DH and I enjoy it so much. I'm loving your pics...this has turned into a great thread to help me get through all the winter blues! I'm sooooo ready for spring!
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2006
7:54 PM

Post #2058775

Deanna do you have the mandevilla in a pot or do you just buy new every summer?I've tried to save mine and it always got to shabby looking.. :o((

Loretta...
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2006
8:37 PM

Post #2058865

Kattamos, your tropical garden inspires me! I love your Nancy's Revenge and the Black Magic (I think?) next to your front door. I can't imagine moving all of those plants indoors.

You can never have too many plants! :-)

Thumbnail by trunnels

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 20, 2006
9:05 PM

Post #2058911

trunnels - verry nice use of color! Love how the pot color echoes the coleus. Is that a little fountain in that pot? Please tell me you are over-wintering the coleus, and then tell me how!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2006
9:15 PM

Post #2058932

Thanks, PrairieGirlZ5! Yes, it is a fountain-in-a-pot. :-) And you better wait for Kattamos to answer you about overwintering the coleus; I've never been good at it. Fortunately, they are fairly inexpensive here in the spring.
kattamos
Atlanta, GA

February 20, 2006
9:31 PM

Post #2058963

Though I am not sure why, people want to see the unheated unlit basement where my plants sleep thru winter. The largest are the brugmansias and bananas trimmed down to 7 feet tall .I wrap the brugs pots in a plastic bag. The 10 and 12 inch pots go into the largest pots on the soil. Then the 8 and 6 inch pots fill out the top layer. Every 2 or 3 weeks ,I water the top layer of pots. The water seeps down from pot to pot until it is stopped by the plastic.

Thumbnail by kattamos

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

February 20, 2006
9:34 PM

Post #2058966

Here's a shot of the bare brugmansia forest

Thumbnail by kattamos

purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2006
9:44 PM

Post #2058992

do you grow brugs in the ground, or are they all in pots? Can't imagine hauling all those inside before frost, then back out in Spring. I have several brug cuttings, started from my two brugs in the ground. Have thought about putting some of them in pots, but can't have as many pots as you have.
Sams does have large pots at a good price.
Your yard is absolutely beautiful.

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2006
9:56 PM

Post #2059010

Loretta, Yes, the Mandevilla is in a pot in the ground. I let the frost take it, as I didn't have the provisions to overwinter it properly. It makes me sick. Wish I could store it each winter, like my elephant Ears! Meet the "Herd", as my DH and I affectionately call them. I started with one bulb 12 years ago, and have given away over 100 bulbs since then.
Deanna

Thumbnail by Sashagirl

kattamos
Atlanta, GA

February 20, 2006
10:05 PM

Post #2059024

This dark cool dry overwintering process does not work for coleus or most annuals. A sunny window sill in a warm kitchen sometimes works.
JesseK I do not know how a drip system would work indoors. You would have to watch it carefully or you might have a small flood in your home.
Trunnels Thanks for taking my side on the too many plants debate.
It is a huge job twice a year to migrate the plants. One summer, a banana grew several trunks and weighed 125 lbs.
The following pic is Moon River II. the blooms can be as big as a plate.
It dies to the soil each year and can stay outside all winter. This could be a new direction for me.

Thumbnail by kattamos

Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2006
10:20 PM

Post #2059053

kattamos, that picture is really cool.

We had a banana that we got in 2004, took it in to overwinter and here it is in early spring of 2005. They grow so fast!!! I don't know how much this thing weighed, but I do know it took DH, my son and myself almost 2 hours to take off all the pups. It will be interesting to see how it does this year.

Thumbnail by Brinda

Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2006
10:24 PM

Post #2059062

I just love coleus, but I don't try to overwinter any cuttings. I just don't have the room with everything else. And they are inexpensive here also, plus all you need is one plant to get MANY! Cuttings are so easy.

Thumbnail by Brinda

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 20, 2006
10:40 PM

Post #2059094

Oh Brinda, that is sooo pretty! How do you do the cuttings? I think I'm dumb.
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2006
10:52 PM

Post #2059117

You're not dumb at all! PrairieGirlZ, coleus and caladium are probably the easiest plants we grow. When the nurseries start getting them in you need to pick up a couple. I have mostly full sun here and they do fine, even though they will also do well in shade. They will grow large, or you can keep them cut back. Just snip off a piece about 5"-6" and stick it in water. It will have roots in less than a week and then you can just pot it up. (I've even just stuck the cutting in soil and they root) Just remember to keep them pinched and they will bush out! And I make sure that I pinch the seeds off. I want the plant using all it's energy for beauty, not seeds!

Make sure you visit the Coleus Forum in a month or so...it will be buzzing like crazy!

Thumbnail by Brinda

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 20, 2006
11:29 PM

Post #2059187

Thanks for the tip Brinda. I have used coleus in my pots for 2 or 3 years now, I wish I knew that I could've over-wintered them in a sunny windowsill, I had The Flume, chocolate, strawberry and vanilla, maybe they shoulda called it Neopolitan, very nice plant! One gallon for $6, and I lost it all. :-(
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2006
1:39 AM

Post #2059499

Any of you folks grow Magilla Perilla? I just started a couple years ago, and just LOVE this plant. It looks like a huge, healthy coleus shrub! So easy to grow, and seems to be every visitor to my yard's favorite.
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 21, 2006
3:03 AM

Post #2059703

Wow! Yours is a shrub? My gf has one that is itty-bitty, grows well in full shade. You DID remind me of something I said awhile back, I need to get caladiums. Those light pink leaves next to hosta and fern would really MAKE the garden.
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2006
3:11 AM

Post #2059726

I grow Magilla Perilla every year and it gets shrub-like also. I really like it. Mine is in full sun and has vibrant color. I thought I had a pic somewhere, but can't find it.
tazzy
Sand Springs, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2006
3:46 AM

Post #2059773

prairyie girl my pic was of coleus , sorry dont rember witch one . missed your post and was going back drooling some more and saw it sorry so slow
jooolster
Santa Barbara, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 21, 2006
5:04 AM

Post #2059882

Here's a shot of my Perilla Magilla from last August. It does make a beautiful shrub-like plant. But it doesn't like cold weather, I discovered.

Thumbnail by jooolster

Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2006
1:38 PM

Post #2060236

jooolster, that is just beautiful! I love all the colors it has!

Here it is in 2004...apprx 2'-3' tall.

Magilla Perilla

Thumbnail by Brinda

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2006
5:19 PM

Post #2060745

brinda talking about color echoes? the miss muffet caladium, with oxalis amd MP, too sweet!
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2006
5:26 PM

Post #2060762

Thanks for giving me alot of good ideas..Love that miss muffet,I winter her over and so far so good..I just need more of them and none are available anyplace..

Loretta..
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2006
5:26 PM

Post #2060763

Had to edit because of a repeated post..Sorry...

Loretta..

This message was edited Feb 21, 2006 1:27 PM
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2006
6:43 PM

Post #2060919

Demstratt, you might have luck here... http://www.caladiumworld.com/

When I need extras, I always order from them, and have been very pleased.
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2006
7:20 PM

Post #2060974

Thanks Brinda your bad sending me to that site,but you know it never hurts to have some extras..lol...I had to order Aaron as that's my son's name.. :o)))

Loretta...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2006
1:44 AM

Post #2064553

My browser's not enlarging the pix, and that's half the fun.

Carrie
missg
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2006
2:53 AM

Post #2069487

Kattamos, I love your garden ,
I showed everybody at work your garden
and they couldn't belive everything is in containers.
can you tell me how did you train the wisteria
into a tree.
after looking at your pictures, I said this
will be the year I start my garden
This will be my first Garden , and container
gardening is the way to go.

Missg

This message was edited Feb 25, 2006 12:04 AM
missg
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2006
4:09 AM

Post #2069686

Robin
help me to understand,
I you put a purple heart in a dark cold
basement over the winter it will still grow the
next year.

missg
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2006
2:49 PM

Post #2070346

You have an award winning garden there,and I agree you never have too many plants..!!
On your Escargot you don't cut that down?I always cut it back,and hope for the best..Can you help me out on this one??

Loretta...

This message was edited Feb 25, 2006 11:32 AM
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2006
2:59 PM

Post #2070371

Loretta, you're welcome for the site! LOLOL

I laugh everytime I see this thread in my 'watched' threads. I laugh at the title of this thread! YOU HAVE TOO MANY PLANTS! Hahhahahaha I think that is an ourtrageous statement. Thanks for bringing this back up, I've really enjoyed this thread over the winter. I'd love for more people to post pics so we can all get some new ideas for 2006 growing season. I'm always looking and wishing...and wishing and looking for new ideas!

I have looked at B Escargot for a couple of years now. And since I love folieage so much, I might get brave this year and try it. (I have no shade at all, unless I create it with larger plants. Do you think that would work?)
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2006
3:42 PM

Post #2070471

Hey Brinda I have to get me a camera before summer,if for nothing else to remember where I planted stuff..I showed my mailman her plants and he just shook his head..He said I really needed MORE plants..So to keep him happy I did order more...lol...any excuse is good,right?
Then of course you did'nt help any by directing me to that site..Don't order any escargot I will try to start you one this Spring..

Loretta...
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2006
3:54 PM

Post #2070488

Hi Loretta, thanks for the offer on the escargot! You'll have to give me some pointers! I've never grown any kind of begonia due to such a lack of shade.

I also need a new camera. I'm just not sure what I want yet. I'm still using a cheapie that we got free with a computer that we purchased 4 or 5 years ago.!!!! LOL I would still use it, but it's been dropped and abused so much over the years that the cover that holds the batteries on is ajar, so you have to hold them in yourself or the camera doesn't work! hahahaha...that is difficult sometimes! Do you know what kind of camera you're getting?

Hahaha...I like your mailman's motto! More is better when it come to plants, right?
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2006
8:20 PM

Post #2071057

I think after looking at all of the pretties and reading all of the text that one can NEVER have too many plants. So I will keep on collecting new plants and hopefully this year I can have some outside plants and a vegetable garden.

JesseK
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2006
9:27 PM

Post #2071244

I've been looking at cameras and still confused easy is what I need...I like to look at look at all the gardens and get idea's for my own..I brought up the escargot and already divided it up,will let you know in a month or 2 how their doing..I can't ship til Spring tho because it will freeze..I think I make the mistake of cutting them back,won't do that anymore because it looks like she lets her just sleep for the winter..

Loretta...
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2006
10:33 PM

Post #2071393

I have a great camera that takes some awsome photos and it was not very expensive. I got it for Christmas two years ago and I've been very happy with it. It is an HP Photosmart 945. I do not know how other people feel about it but it does a great job. It allows me to take macro shots, like what the inside of a flower looks like, and it allows me to take pictures from far away. It is a point and click camera. I never adjust any settings except for the macro setting. I do not understand much about cameras so I was quite confused as to what to buy. My DH picked this one out and he did a great job. That is my two cents worth. This photo was taken with it. See the bee down in the flower.

JesseK

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii

Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2006
10:40 PM

Post #2071411

JesseK I like that shot it's as plain as day,I see the bee busy at work..That's the kind of camera I need..But once I listen to the sales pitch I'm more confused then I was before I went in..Thanks for your help..

Loretta..
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2006
12:04 AM

Post #2071567

This camera is very very simple to use. I never mess with its settings and my photos come out really nice. I would highly recommend this camera to anyone. We also got the little printer that you can get to go with it. It prints the 4x6 pictures. I like it because I get to choose what I want to print. But just the camera by itself is very nice. And very easy. And it should have come down in price by now.

JesseK
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

February 26, 2006
5:08 AM

Post #2072152

Check out Walmarts! I will never pay 500.00 for a camera again. My beautician got hers at Wally World and does the same thing my Sony Cybershot do ... and hers is 4.1 pixels and its a tiny little thing too... and it was less than 200.00 Digital cams are a lot less expensive now days. she also paid 35.00 (on sale)for a 256 kiosk. :) is that not cool or what? lol
Sylvia

This message was edited Feb 26, 2006 12:09 AM
purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2006
1:23 PM

Post #2076975

JesseK that is an awsome photo. I am envious, I love my canon S230, but it does not have a macro mode. Is your camera small? That is one thing I like about the canon. I can put it in my pocket.
nut4spuds
Wichita, KS

February 28, 2006
1:41 PM

Post #2077006

Brinda
What kind of banana plant is that in your pic?
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2006
2:17 PM

Post #2077052

Hi Nikki, the name is Lasiocarpa Chinese Yellow, here it is in the PlantFiles http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55701/index.html

And here is some good info on it. http://www.aandbtropicals.com/page21.html

It flowered for me in 2 years and we just loved it. And it gets about 5' in a big pot. I should have tried one in the ground. I might try that this year. They pup like crazy, as you can see from the pic. Mine is in storage in a dark room at a friends work. I hope it's OK. LOL I guess I should go check on it.
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2006
2:21 PM

Post #2077056

This isn't a very good picture, but the only one I can find right now from 2005. You can see it on the far right side of the pic.

Thumbnail by Brinda

nut4spuds
Wichita, KS

March 1, 2006
5:10 AM

Post #2078722

OH, NO
Another to put on on my "Gotta Have It" list.
Geesh!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2006
4:17 PM

Post #2083853

And Jessek, what a lovely dahlia with or without the bee!
xxx,C.
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2006
5:15 PM

Post #2083985

I took that photo at mom's house (Crasulady2) when I visited her last year. She had so many pretty things. But this one was unusually pretty to me.

JesseK
NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2006
5:07 AM

Post #2103852

missg,

So sorry for not getting back here sooner. Yes it's cold down there; but not as cold as outside, which sometimes the air temps get down to minus 20 degrees!

There are basement windows down there. It is a member of the cabbage family, and is biennial.

~* Robin

This message was edited Mar 11, 2006 1:08 AM
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2006
11:41 PM

Post #2123946

Too many... oh there are many dozen of new ones.. and we've not gotten them all in .. nor have I made any trips to the nurseries,, and there will be dozen of trips... but not having any soil to start with on the roof I'm doing OK... so not to let not having soil stop you... I'm getting too many this year... and I love it... if you can see the planter .. it's a pot.. rather than a planting.. Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2006
4:25 AM

Post #2124558

Gordon your rooftop is absolutely the neatest thing I've seen. It is so creative and I love it. I guess if you don't have a back yard you use what you have. What a great idea.

Jesse
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2006
4:50 AM

Post #2124603

Well Jesse... thanks... I just haul it all up and water... perhaps arrrange some of them... [ although you'd never know it ] all of the growing and the plants themselves are done by the higher powers... but your complement has won you another picture of summer here ... at 34*F tonight ... I'm jeleous of about everywhere else.. and a bit more than ready for some more spring.. everything is so big inside now.. I'll have trouble gettting it back up through the hatch.. if ti doesn't come soon...
Thanks... Gordon
OH.. this picture is of the part not seen in the first photo... as you can see it's more about plants than anything else... although you could get easily lost here ... if you wandered off the path.. ha ha ha

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2006
12:48 PM

Post #2124942

OK folks - lets be sure that Gordon keeps rewarding us! That's just amazing. It shows
that with determination & skill, any place can become a place of beauty & life.

Thanks for the pictures!
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2006
2:36 PM

Post #2125161

Wow I want to thank you too for the pictures...

Loretta...
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2006
11:49 AM

Post #2137880

kattmos...i'm new and am needing to be invited to your yard for tea just about now!!

NEVER to many plants

Thumbnail by tobee43

Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2006
1:15 PM

Post #2138034

Welcome tobee43..I guess we all agree never too many plants...Thanks for sharing your flowers and for bringing this back to the top..

Loretta...
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2006
2:14 PM

Post #2138146

Oh yes, welcome tobee43! I think this has been my favorite thread all winter!
AnnetteG
Hillsborough, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2006
2:19 PM

Post #2138157

Love that garden, KAT!! If you were in NJ, I'd say you have competition! I do the same thing with the rich clusters of begonias and other gorgeous leaved plants. I'll upload some of mine on here when I get the chance. I have a begonia that is 28 yrs old. It is beautiful. Red and green on one side and more red on the underside. Haven't a clue as to what it is but I bring them (I divided them) in and out every year.
I wonder if it's easy to trade Begonias.. anyone know? I would root and send in exchange for the same..
Annette
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2006
3:08 PM

Post #2138242

Mine too Brinda..I think you too agree Never Too Many Plants..! :o)))
Kat can you give us any info on your Rex will it come back after living in your basement all Winter???
Loretta..
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2006
5:20 PM

Post #2138493

thanks for the welcome loretta and brinda! brinda i can see why this was one of your favorite threads!

annette, i'm certain your can trade begonias! you must be down in south nj...i'm way north. we just had our springfest! we took second in the window box...using maradukes...not many have seen those type of begonias round here! (that was my very first entry ever!) love them love them love them! and never did until i experienced logee's.

i'm dreaming about a zone 9 bout NOW!
AnnetteG
Hillsborough, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2006
12:42 AM

Post #2148943

Hi Tobee... No.. I'm not in S Jersey.. I am actually central. About 15 min north of Princeton. I don't know why it says Millstone NJ.. I'm in Hillsborough. Now.. to find someone to trade Begonias with!! How did you do a windowbox so early? What was in it? Got any pix?
Why are you dreaming about Zone 9? we had great weather today right? And more to come they say!
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2006
12:23 PM

Post #2149878

annettee princeton is way south for me! we are going to rarefind nursery in jackson this weekend to pick some stuff up to save on shipping...it'll take us about three hours!

the windowbox...well i have a friend that owes 8 greenhouses and we used one of her's everything you see came from a cutting or clone NOTHING was store brought like the others. so anyway...i called it concerto in "Seed" minor and the judge who was Ken Drues (spell)...tells me that it took him over 45 minutes to decide because i had the best plants but he felt that the "name" didn't match??? so over dinner that night with Ken i say what do you mean ...didn't match??? i said i did everyone of of those plants you see by seed??? he says...NO WAY...and i said well that may be true but YOU didn't know that! hehehehe...anyway i this was the first we entered anything and i didn't even think i would place. glad Ken brought me dinner for it!! and a drink too!

the pic is not the best i haven't gone through them all as yet but you can see...it was funny my son and his wife..(and i didn't say we won anything), came to see the boxes and i asked which they thought was mine. they looked and picked it right out...and said we can tell your designs anywhere! which was very cool for me! :)

i dream of zone 9 because i would be able to see flowers all the time. but your right...as much as i complain i love it here for growning because of all the choices we have. and yes, it's be beautiful out...got my order from forestfarms yesterday OMG we have over 30 trees and 20 scrubs to go in...but i still wouldn't dare until may. also i have everything shipped completed dormat so that they can harden here for a few weeks before we put them in.

i wanted to work on my gardens this morning but got a call from another master gardener in the area that they are doing a clean up and have absolutely no one to help...so i'm going to throw t hem a few hours to clean up townhall, then get back and start working my butt off...(don't i wish!). before it gets too hot...shoot we are supposed to hit 70 today!!!!!

This message was edited Mar 30, 2006 8:32 AM

Thumbnail by tobee43

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2006
12:29 PM

Post #2149891

here's one closer...the marmaduke is in bloom...and you can see the 'bubbles'

This message was edited Mar 30, 2006 8:36 AM

Thumbnail by tobee43

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2006
12:31 PM

Post #2149894

is maraduke the geranium? if not, name pls. Window boxes are simply marvelous
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2006
12:34 PM

Post #2149902

Begonia 'MarmaDuke' "Rhizomatous Begonia"sorry ...i can't type so it also appears i can't spell either!! the geranium is 'mrs. cox'...the taller begonia is 'bubble'...the marmaduke is far left front...if you look carefully you will see little white flowers. there is also a marmaduke in the middle and on the right side.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2006 8:34 AM

This message was edited Mar 30, 2006 8:35 AM
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2006
3:03 PM

Post #2150214

tobee43 where can I get those MarmaDukes at??I love those and your flower box is awesome..

Loretta...
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2006
6:04 PM

Post #2150654

dem...logee's has them i think. check out there site http://www.logees.com...they are a bit pricy but worth every cent!
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2006
6:18 PM

Post #2150681

I can't get the site...Whats wrong???
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2006
6:22 PM

Post #2150691

what's wrong is it has the word THAT in it!!!!!!!! hehehe...

http://www.logees.com

try this is should work!!

oh...and dem...we only had 3 weeks to put it together!!!!!!!!!! it was a last minute thing for springfest...man what a challege that was!

This message was edited Mar 30, 2006 2:23 PM
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2006
6:52 PM

Post #2150759

Thanks I figured that out...I think I better wait to see if I can find them around here,a little to pricey for me...I've been killing all mine with too much attention..I bought 3 two weeks ago at our Garden Show and their looking sick..
Talk about pressure I guess you met your challenge tho..They looked good...

Loretta..
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2006
7:14 PM

Post #2150817

loretta...you know it's really odd about enough attention or not...cuz my friend i was helping her in her greenhouse and she was like STOP with the water! and i'm like what??? mine need a drink every single day?? and what i notice was that she keep her's out in the sun while i have mine in semi shade...yet she likes her's dry to the bone. now...here's the difference i saw between ours. mine were a completely differently color the marmaduke that is...her's was a very light green with dull red spotting while mine was a rich lime color with bright red...interesting. i also notice my china curls reacted differently as well. i don't feed during the winter at all and i don't think she did either...but they did behave differently i guess because of the sun and water???? i would have thought the marmaduke would have brighter color in direct sun...go figure!
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2006
9:20 PM

Post #2151066

I don't understand are you saying not to water them and let them get dry and not to fertilize in the winter??I did'nt think rex's liked alot of sun just filtered sun..Does you leaves ever get crispy on the edges?Mine do no matter where I put them and then they die...

Loretta...
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2006
11:36 PM

Post #2151374

i don't understand it either! hehehe..that's the point. and no i get no browning on the leaves. however, the one's she had in the sun did get them. and no i don't feed in the winter. mine are in semi shades part of a sunroom...really filtered sun light. and they grow and flower.

it seems like there is just no right way!
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 4, 2006
6:58 AM

Post #2162066

tobee and dem,

Your friend is right regarding the water!! Only water every few days when it's warm outside and only once a week during the cooler days. Begonias don't like a lot of water and will rot very easily. Also, do NOT fertilize during the winter either...that is their resting time. You can start to fertilize in Mar or April, when the weather starts to warm up. Good luck with marmaduke...she is a pretty one and I have it too.

Donna
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2006
11:51 AM

Post #2162248

donna thanks so much for the info! however, i still have to water mine otherwise they just wilt. mine take tons of water and i don't know if it's because of where they are or what. i have had them well over a year now and when wintering and in the dark for some reason mine dry completely?? now...i don't drench them daily i just give them a nice drink and a spray. i'm certain the bottoms of the pots are still "dry". they are together with my passion flowers and they seem to need the exact same care during their overwintering period.

the marmaduke has grown so much! i just started cuttings of her! she's a happy camper for sure! the china curls are absolutely beautiful and what i'm so happy about is that i have found a way to overwinter them back here in the freezing! i was attempting to be "polite" about my friends plants...they look really bad, had no growth and are always burning their leaves...that may be a sun issue or not enough water beause of the type of pots she has them in. i find clay pots are the best for them not plastic!

donna also...if i watered every few days outside everything would die here! we get 90 and higher degree, dry hot terrible days when even the trees wilt! many container type items somedays need watering twice depending on the day! it's a lot of work for sure!
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2006
3:24 PM

Post #2162739

Thanks for all the info Donna but I agree with tobee if I don't water them they die twice as fast..My daughter totally ignores hers and they are doing great..She does'nt even want me to look at hers let alone water them..Hers are on a shelf that gets hardly any sun and her soil is bone dry,yet hers are thriving and mine are barely surviving...Lots more to learn here for me...

Loretta..
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2006
7:02 PM

Post #2163411

NEVER too many plants!

This isn't my pic but I love sharing it. :-)

Thumbnail by trunnels

Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2006
7:10 PM

Post #2163423

My, my, my!!! That is glorious! I love it...thanks for sharing!
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

April 4, 2006
7:43 PM

Post #2163524

That's insane! How do they water them?

I love it, that is exactly how I want to spend my golden years someday, surrounded by plants and friends and a weiner dog. ;-)
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2006
8:22 PM

Post #2163628

That's exactly how I feel! And I haven't figured out how they water them yet, maybe just stand on the roof with a water hose and let gravity do the rest?
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2006
9:52 PM

Post #2163786

Wow. That is amazing. I don't wonder how they water them as much as I wonder how they got them all up there and in such perfect order. They must love plants like many of us do.

Jesse
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2006
1:24 PM

Post #2168255

This message was edited Apr 7, 2006 12:31 PM
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2006
2:45 PM

Post #2171175

Brinda did Kat change her name??I wanted to ask her a few questions...When to what you suggested and it's a different name and the plants don't look the same...

Loretta..
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2006
6:06 PM

Post #2171675

Hi Loretta,

No, I don't think she changed her name. I edited my post above. I just came across that thread and thought I'd refer to it.

I haven't seen Kat posting in awhile. She is probably out making her garden beautiful once again!
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2006
6:15 PM

Post #2171694

Thanks Brinda...I hope she comes back on to show us how all her plants survived the winter..I really wanna see how here rex begonias did...I sure am having problems with mine..

Loretta...
missg
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2006
9:35 PM

Post #2172096

Brinda and Loretta,
I'm looking forward, to see how the plants
look after the winter also. I never knew that
a container garden can be so beautiful. I'm planning
a container garden this summer, hope mine will be half as
beautiful .

Gale

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2006
1:33 AM

Post #2185714

I have stopped to look at the first image every week, it cheers me while I await this record rain we are having here in Calif. to end. I just made it my screensaver so I can see it all the time while I plan my pots.
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2006
1:59 AM

Post #2185804

I think that's what I will have my son do for me put this on as my screensaver...I wonder where she's at?? I would love to see them once she brings them out of her basement...
Gale... once your done will you post some pictures of yours??This is truly my favorite...it sure got me into more container gardening...lol..Is this ever gonna be fun...

Loretta...

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2006
4:44 AM

Post #2186245

Demstratt, if you are in IE, just right click the enlarged image and select 'Set As Background' and it sets it as your background screen.
missg
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2006
1:11 PM

Post #2186666

Loretta,
After everything blooms I will
Love to post pictures
Gale

This message was edited Apr 13, 2006 9:11 AM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2006
3:42 PM

Post #2187007

I think EVERYONE who has seen this thread is at least planning more or different containers this year. It's been a wonderful thread, motivating, inspirational, informative, amusing... I think I liked the winter storage pictures best. I could go on but my summer bulbs from Old House Gardens just arrived!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Carrie
AnnetteG
Hillsborough, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2006
1:07 AM

Post #2188146

Tobee... Hi again... been so caught up in work.. didn't forget you~ Ok so then you are from North Jersey. Where in Jackson did you go? What nursery? I am usually down there on Sundays... is it the one on 206? There is a real good one there but I am thinking it's sort of in Indian Mills ...I need to find a good place too. I LOVED your flower box display and can see why you won all your prizes with the combinations you did... sooo beautiful. You certainly have a knack for display.

Tell you what.. if that place in Jackson is opened on Sundays.. I can be your middle woman.. I think I am about an hour and a half from Jackson .. so you must be about the same north.. make a list!!
Thanks!
Annette
AnnetteG
Hillsborough, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2006
1:24 AM

Post #2188198

Gotta catch up to kattamos!! Gotta try.. after all we ARE the garden state!

Thumbnail by AnnetteG

tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2006
12:29 PM

Post #2189327

AnnetteG...me too have been working my butt off working...well NOT exactly my butt doesn't seem any more off to me! and your entrance its soooooooooo beautiful!!!!!! LOVE it!!! (besides community projects our personal gardens are on the arts and heritage tours this year! ) so i'm going NUTs!!

it's RAREFIND nursery...YOU WILL GO NUTS! they are trees and perennials. ...address 957 patterson road, jackson, nj...off turnpike take exit 7a for interstate 195 east. go 11 miles on 195 to exit 16b. take rt 537 east less than one mile, turn right onto wright debow rod. in 1.3 miles you go over the interstate 195: immediately make a sharp right onto patterson rod about 500f ft, turn left though the iron gates...that's coming from north or south on the turnpike. i'm not sure if they are open on sundays????

and thanks about my flower box...it was the very first time for me to enter anything with my work... and i only had 3 weeks to get it together! whewwwwww!

this was our front entrance last year...i couldn't get it all in one pic! i have designed something different for this year...we will see how it turns out!

Thumbnail by tobee43

Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2006
2:13 PM

Post #2189522

Thanks CaSue...I now have it as my screensaver... Tobee and Annette I love ALL your plantings...I gotta see more of your entrance tobee..How do they get to your front door??

Loretta..
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2006
7:52 PM

Post #2190200

thanks so much for you kind words...shoot...i don't have one that you can see where to walk! this one you can see a little more and this is a pathway in between all the plants. and that was only in late june...by sept you needed an axe! :)

Thumbnail by tobee43

AnnetteG
Hillsborough, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2006
8:41 PM

Post #2190329

Tobee... I'll call first and find out. Rarefind Nurseries. Ok. . that's the name and not just that it's a great place, right? LOL... Did you pass Great Adventure and then keep going? Heading West? That 195 goes on forever!

Your flowerboxes.. did you make those backrounds as well yourself? They are so creative!! Loved the windows!! I have to agree with Loretta.. your tropicals are incredible!!! I can see your steps in between. Do you bring them in the house in the fall? Being you are in NJ..when do you put out Elephant Ears here? Any idea? Seems to me they look their best in Sept. I wish I could get them going sooner.. like maybe in pots? I had one gal answer me but I am not sure what she meant by a soiless medium to start... vermiculate? I have such thick clay here and was wondering if that was an issue with then. This year I am adding some sand and some gypsum to soften it up a bit...
Where in NJ are you?
Annette
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2006

Post #2190513

Annette don't put sand with your clay you will really have a problem..it turns it like cememt..Buy you some compost with cow manure..it's only $1.09 at Lowes..ripped bags are 50 cents..I pot mine up in the house then at the end of May put it outside..

Loretta...

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2006
10:19 PM

Post #2190596

I love Rarefind! I have driven 2+ hrs to visit them but only in the fall. I bet the property is glorious in spring!
The folks working there are very knowledgable. The last time I visited, the owner walked around with me for a
while explaining where he got various plants. He's definitely a plant-nut like me. I love the place!
Tam
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2006
10:44 AM

Post #2191870

Annette...please listen to what Loretta said...you will have concrete!!!!!!!!! don't add the sand to the clay. first...the ears love a rich moist soil. those beds by my home were soild clay with shale. it took years to get them into shape...but you can immediately amend the soil for this type annual planting of tropicals.

the easiest way is to turn the soil, add a good "potting" soil and a bag of peat moss. the peat will allow the mix to stay moist. now this is a quick fix for planting them but will work. don't go nuts with the ph levels they just want a place to hold it's moisture.

yes, i pull them out in the late fall and store the bulbs. to start them early then must be in extremely warm temps. you can pot them up and try a heating mat. i have a small portable greenhouse and they were started up this week. they cannot be planted here until the ground stays warm, which in my case is the very last week in may or first week in june. although the greens can take cooler temps. not the blacks.

i'm in sussex county way way way up north new pa and ny borders...coldest part of the state. i'm not sure about whether we past great adven. just give rarefind a call and i'm sure they will tell you. or better yet, put the address i gave you on mapblast and check it out from where your coming from. and no...i didn't make the windows they were already at the show and we were asigned one. each was different measurements so the plants had to fit into the space provided.

hope that helped!!
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2006
3:27 PM

Post #2192363

tobee.. Someone said you had more pictures..Where they at??I gotta see them..I love your entrance..Do you soak your bulbs before you plant them??

Loretta..
AnnetteG
Hillsborough, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2006
12:49 AM

Post #2193452

Soak the bulbs? HUH? Ok.. I will add the potting soil, Miracle Gro and some Peat. Ditto the sand. They grew last year.. but I just needed to get that soil softer. What IS with Jersey and this clay? And yet it's the garden state and things do grow well here.

I'll give Rarefinds a call on Monday.

Wow... you are way up there aren't you?

Ok.. have a nice Easter if you observe it!

Thanks a bunch!
Annette
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2006
1:21 PM

Post #2194353

loretta...yes on some other threads i have some pics of some of my gardens but i'm not certain which you'd like to see:) so i attached one leading into the shade gardens.

no annette, i don't soak my bulbs or rhizomes. it's funny when i was at rarefind Isac one of the guys there was saying he LOVES sand because it's easiest to amend. i'm like well...i'd rather deal with the clay because i think it's easier to amend. so it depends on who your s speaking with. the bad think about clay is you need to get the ox in it because it becomes so compacted. not even dealing with the ph at that point. first the air...then the ph is what i do. although i'm not a big ph freak as many are. i know for certain things the ph MUST be perfect and i just try and stay way and get those things called "adaptable" to MOST soils! LOL other than when my hubby wants is hot peppers in which case i do a raised bed and have perfect ph adjustments for them.

i'm way way way!! up there. but i love the mountains...just not the colder springs!

well...i'm going to go plant for a while and then start cooking easter dinner...thankfully the kids won't be here to 4!!!!!!!!

happy bunny day!

Thumbnail by tobee43

hag49
China Spring, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2006
1:16 PM

Post #2213401

Did Katmos just drop off Dave's Garden? I wanted to see her garden this yr. I hope she'll come back.
hilary
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2006
3:10 PM

Post #2213630

Me too...Kat where are you??We wanna see your results of your plants after being in your basement...

This message was edited Mar 6, 2008 1:31 AM
tiltaman
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2006
4:43 PM

Post #2244952

Here's a look at my balcony boxes in July of 2005. I just planted new boxes this year on 4/24/06. It's so hard to wait for the lushness of late summer blooms and foliage.
Just joined this web site. This is my first post. Keep up the good work everyone.

Thumbnail by tiltaman

Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2006
6:36 PM

Post #2245315

Hi tiltaman, welcome to DG. And beautiful boxes! I love them!

Everytime I see this thread in my 'watched threads' I think...Oh goody, my favorite thread! LOL
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2006
8:52 PM

Post #2245724

Welcome tiltaman! Beautiful window boxes!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2006
1:07 AM

Post #2246347

well I had to post this... there are a few containers in there
Gordon

This message was edited May 5, 2006 9:30 PM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2006
3:39 AM

Post #2247085

Thats beautiful...is that your house??If so you gotta show us more..!!
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2006
4:06 AM

Post #2247167

tiltaman, welcome to DG. All I can say about your boxes is WOW! They are beautiful.

Gordon, your house and yard are wonderful.

So many beautiful flowers from all of you DG's. I'm so glad that I get to look at all of the beautiful photos. It gives me something to look forward to each day.

Jesse

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2006
4:32 AM

Post #2247224

Gordon took that on a recent trip to Panama, some awesome colors!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2006
6:23 AM

Post #2247349

yes.. Sue..
It was inded from my Panama trip.. up high in the mountains at about 2000 m. on the slopes of a volcano...
every house/garden... is more magnificent than the last.. and the temps are steady.. winter /summer // at about 60*F -80*F...Gordon

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2006
4:46 PM

Post #2248274

Tiltaman~
Your balcony boxes are gorgeous. What plants, please?

xxxxx, Carrie
tiltaman
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2006
10:00 PM

Post #2249077

What a gracious group. (Plant people usually are, of course.) Thanks for the welcome.

My plants are a mix of: petunias, various sun coleus, magilla perilla, Blackie & Marguerite sweet potato vines, and vinca vines.

By the end of September, my whole balcony, to the roof, was full of plants. It was really stunning. Lots of compliments from my neighbors.

I have enclosed a shot of my Canna bed (not in containers, however) from July of 2005 in this post. They are up and running again this year, too.

Thanks for the encourgement. I love seeing others plants very much.

Thumbnail by tiltaman

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2006
5:40 PM

Post #2251583

Gordon,

Could you please edit your post to take out some of the returns? Just click "edit" and then "backspace" to take out some of the empty space. I'll be eternally grateful!

xxxx, Carrie

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2006
9:19 PM

Post #2252137

Tiltaman,
What's the groundcover with the cannas? Striking arrangement, and love the do not enter sign.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2006
1:33 AM

Post #2252737

sorry Carrie..
I hadn't seen it that way.. it might have been a napping keystroke... or some other operator error... Gordon

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2006
6:58 PM

Post #2254128

Gordon,

I don't think it would be operator error; the operator is a fantastic gardener. Thank you, though.

xxxx, Carrie
shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

May 8, 2006
3:01 PM

Post #2259521

too many plants...never...here is a pic of my daughters pool area...It is past peak of the blooms but you can still see the lushness of a tropical garden in a borderline zone 8b ...you have to be careful what palms you put or they freeze here...shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt

Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2006
4:19 AM

Post #2261457

Wow thats beautiful..
tiltaman
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2006
3:02 PM

Post #2262350

Benjamin2... the ground cover under my Cannas is Marguerite sweet potato vine.

Shirleyt... Beautiful pool area.

Enclosed a shot of one of my balcony boxes from last year. Have another started, and will share pixs later in the season.

David

Thumbnail by tiltaman

lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2006
3:08 PM

Post #2262381

So pretty, what are the white flowers hanging down?

This message was edited May 9, 2006 11:09 AM

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2006
3:11 PM

Post #2262389

Not white flowers, that's the lovely Silver Dichondra that's becoming so popular for pots.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/76508/index.html
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2006
3:15 PM

Post #2262400

Just beautiful! This will be my first year to use dichondra and I'm really excited about it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2006
6:23 PM

Post #2262935

The last post from Kattamos was in February and it's now May. Could somebody swing by her house to check on her? Just to let her know we MISS her and we do CARE? Leave a plant on her doorstep or a card from all of us at DG, ok?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2006
10:32 PM

Post #2263568

Would that Silver Dichondra work for me on a dry semi-steep - well, let's say it's too steep too mow - part of the lawn that's the border between our ramshackle yard gone beserk with flowers and my neighbor up the street, with his in-ground irrigation and his $25,000,000 ride-on mower, and his six times a month lawn treatments and his six times a week lawn mower touch ups! His last hobby was a pitbull, which got loose and bit my daughter! This one is a little louder, but at least it's safer for the neighborhood. (Even including the wasted water and the added chemicals to the watershed, it's safer than an ignored neglected underfed pitbull. I'm so glad he didn't eat my daughter - or worse yet, one of the littler kids on the street! The dog, I mean, not the @$$ of an owner.) We talk about how the man has conjugal relations (with his lawnmower) more often than my DH and I do (with each other)!

I seem to have gotten a little off topic somehow. Anyway, I was going to cover the hillside with a tarp and newspapers in the winter, but that never happened, and now the grass is growing beautifully again. No dandelions, no crabgrass - must be the run-off from all those yummy chemicals. IT MUST DIE!

xxxx, Carrie
TexasBlueBonnet
Sour Lake, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2006
5:45 AM

Post #2264788

Benjamin2 I was wondering the samething.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2006
1:30 PM

Post #2265266

Carrie,
Praise God that dog didn't kill your child! I just saw a report that said they can crush a human skill easily. Pitbulls exert approximately 2,000 pounds of pressure when they clamp down on something (or someone). Bones crush like powder. And because of how they're wired, once they clamp their jaws down and lock, they literally cannot unlock them for awhile. At this point, the only way to get that dog to release whatever it has is to shoot it. I'd truly keep that in mind, living next to anybody's pit bull. Just a word to the wise(r)...

P.S. I have a next door neighbor who insists on blowing his leaves EVERY Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m...He and your neighbor should get together...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2006
8:24 PM

Post #2266384

Yes, GG, you're right. Thank goodness my daughter had learned to drop and protect her face in some safety class along the way - I didn't know that myself! The jerk soon tired of having a pet pit bull (maybe it was the two weeks house arrest?) and er, got rid of it. Now he has this weird relationship with his lawnmower!
xxxxxxxxx, Carrie
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2006
11:55 PM

Post #2267017

I wish I knew what happened to Kat...I want to see what she did this year with all her plants..!!
SalmonMe
Springboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2006
12:21 AM

Post #2276571

Kattamos, I'd love to add your first pic to my garden journal. Do you mind? It "inspires" me :)

Huga
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2006
6:25 AM

Post #2277530

I use it for my desktop background sometimes. She has not been around to ask or I would surely get permission. But since it is only for me and I'm not selling it or anything like that, I don't think she would mind. If she does I will not use it again.

Jesse
hag49
China Spring, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2006
1:38 AM

Post #2290840

I have Dmailed her 2 times and no reply. Do you think harms way might have come to her? She said she was on the road a lot. Does anyone know her well enough to go check on her? She's such a sweet person I can't imagine her not answering Dmails. I hope we hear from her soon.
hilary
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2006
4:01 AM

Post #2291383

I've been wondering too what happened to her..I hope she's OK and just traveling for her job..
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2006
12:17 PM

Post #2291928

I've enjoyed this thread so much, and I've certainly wondered about her also. But if you click on her name, you will see that she's subscribed through April of 2007, so she was probably around in April to renew. So, I would say that she must just be extremely busy either in the garden or on the road.

I hope she comes back soon. I need some more inspiration from her gardens! They are beautiful.
gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2006
12:09 PM

Post #2295479

I could still see some table top and some patio. Not nearly enough.
Martha
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2006
1:07 PM

Post #2295655

I really wanted to see how all her plants survived the winter...Plus ask her a few questions...Brinda I also have her on my screen saver...It helps when I get tired to come here to look and get busy planting...

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 20, 2006
10:41 AM

Post #2298721

I only saw this thread and i agree, there are never too many flowers !Kattamos, at least youhave room for a table and chairs ! My DH complains that I promissed him a bench on the balconyand now it isn't room anymore !
See what I mean ?

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 20, 2006
10:42 AM

Post #2298724

That was on the left and now on the right part:

Thumbnail by adinamiti

soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2006
1:03 PM

Post #2298969

NICE!
:)

Susan

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2006
3:44 PM

Post #2302465

>sigh< oh, pretty.

Okay, I've started some stuff in containers, I've bought 8 gazillion dollars worth of Proven Winners, I'm getting a digital camera next week, and I am ready to enter the fray.

xxxxxxx,
Carrie
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2006
3:54 PM

Post #2302495

Carrie hope you do and post us lots of pictures..!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2006
10:07 PM

Post #2303473

(taking only baby steps though)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2006
8:18 PM

Post #2417182

BUMP. Anyone heard from Kattamos, yet? Still holding her in my thoughts and prayers. Somebody in GA ought to go knock on her door...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2006
3:28 PM

Post #2420167

Prolly busy setting up her summer garden spot? Hauling dormant things up from the basement? More custom-forged planter holders?

xxxxx, Carrie

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2006
4:07 PM

Post #2420340

KATTAMOS!
We need to hear from you. Send a shout out, soon.
hag49
China Spring, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2006
10:54 PM

Post #2421790

I'm convinced harms way has come to her. I sent her 3 personal messages, no response. She's a friendly person and wouldn't be rude for anything. I'm not sure if she drives a truck, but she's on the road a lot and I'm fearful something has happened to her. I hope she blew up her computer and is not online anymore. I just don't think she'd go this long w/out checking in here especially since she's paid her dues for this yr. and part of next. I hope nothing has happened and she just choses not to do the puter thing since she's so busy.
hilary I know I sure miss her creativity.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2006
11:37 PM

Post #2421913

You asked for it, here goes.

Thumbnail by carrielamont

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2006
11:39 PM

Post #2421922

Lobelia is my favorite.
Whoops - forgot to include picture. What a dope!

This message was edited Jun 22, 2006 7:41 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2006
11:44 PM

Post #2421939

What was I saying? Oh yeah. that I love lobelia! Although in this case the red Nancy is taking over.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2006
11:47 PM

Post #2421952

Here is my attempt at foliage combinations, coleus and 2 kinds of sweet potato vine.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2006
11:50 PM

Post #2421964

These weren't supposed to be foliage plants. (Black-eyed susan vine orange)

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2006
12:59 PM

Post #2434656

Odd, in this forum the New column says ~ YES ~ the Subject column says ~ YOU HAVE TOO MANY PLANTS. Is there a subliminal message here... hmmmm.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
3:18 PM

Post #2435103

Only says yes until you read the latest post but it has always cracked me up everytime I come back to it because I always end up reading it that way!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2006
6:34 PM

Post #2435863

Bad plant person... NO, NO! Feels like we are being scolded. How fun. Pod
AnnetteG
Hillsborough, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2006
1:31 AM

Post #2472274

CarrieL.. what is your secret for keeping those tiny little blue flowers alive? I have tried twice and destroyed them both. I tried partial, dappled sun and shade.. watered regularly.. fed with Miracle Gro... what am I doing wrong? I LOVE them.. I love all the blue/lavender shades... Thanks! Annette
AnnetteG
Hillsborough, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2006
1:34 AM

Post #2472287

Hmmm I love the combinations! I saw a gorgeous one with that lime sweet potato vine and the purple wave petunias... what a contrast!
gardenerme
Orange, CA

July 6, 2006
3:26 PM

Post #2474160

AnnetteG: I believe the small blue flowered plants are lobelia, a spring blooming annual. They die back as the heat hits. I always replant every year about February (no frost here). They tend to reseed beautifully also. Just wait until next spring and have at it!

Thumbnail by gardenerme

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2006

Post #2475523

Yep, that's lobelia. They don't die off around here, Annette, although I can imagine they would in Southern CA., I should think they could take NJ, too. Treat them as you would impatiens.

I first fell in love with them at Tanglewood, a center for classical music in Western MA, where it's cooler and less muggy than where I live. Even there, they were in dappled sun, in white wooden window boxes that were planted with pink ivy gerenium, white alyssum, and dark blue trailing lobelia, every summer.

I started trying to buy them (I don't do seeds), but found that if I didn't buy them before Memorial Day, the local shops AND the Home Depots had potted what was left all up in hanging baskets. I guess they don't last bedding flats for long. But if you water them regularly in a pot or even stick them here and there in the ground you should be ok in shade or a few hours of full sun. I had one a day or two ago that looked all dried up and I thought O No I finally blew it but a good watering and the next morning it was good as new. (That's not my recommended practice of course.)

xxxxxx, Carrie

This message was edited Jul 7, 2006 11:27 AM
tobee43
groveland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2006
10:58 AM

Post #2477464

Annette in nj...deep deep shade and you have to have real luck to have them last through the season. here's a cultivar so bright, but a real pain to maintain!!

edited for typo's as usual!

This message was edited Jul 7, 2006 7:00 AM

Thumbnail by tobee43

pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2006
1:16 PM

Post #2500795

Anybody ever find out what happened to kattamos?
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2006
7:37 PM

Post #2501980

Not me..I wish she would check in to let us know all is okay with her...I'd like to see what she's done this year..and how her plants wintered over..!!
AnnetteG
Hillsborough, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2006
8:20 PM

Post #2579577

Thanks for all the info on the Lobelia! Carrie.. I will try what you said about treating them like impatiens... that is what they remind me of. Turn your back for one second and they are either drooping, growing leggy, or begging for water... I will get it straight next spring... !! Anyone ever hear of Kochia.. not the catcus like plant.. but the one that is pale green and airy and turns sort of reddish purple in the fall? I am looking like crazy for that one !! Some gardener ( who is NEVER home because I rang his/her bell a few times) has it and from a short distance it looks like boxwood. It has a sort of global shape.. a little narrow at the top... beautiful! Thanks!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2006
8:41 PM

Post #2579646

Very pretty, Tobee. Do you know the name of that lobelia cultivar?
Annette, even my lobelia are shriveling up in this heat. Probably only small private islands in Maine have happy lobelia right now, and my private jet is in the shop! LOLOLOL.

xxxxx, Carrie
ctindell
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2006
12:22 AM

Post #2593922

WOW! I think I will start a container garden.
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2006
2:23 AM

Post #2594328

I did after seeing all of hers...But they sure need watered all the time...even with the crystals or diapers..I'm still wondering where she's at..I sure hope she's safe..
MyHiraeth
Lisbon
Portugal
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2006
3:18 PM

Post #2599477

Hi!
I love this thread! Those dreaded words really ring a bell... I'm happy I'm not alone, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who calls a varanda with plants a garden! Of course it's much more than just throwing plants around, and that's the big challenge!

I loved all the photos, and it's great fun to see there's lots of other people in the world who share my passion for gardening - I just became a member and already I feel it's been worth my 5$!!!!!!!

Love
MyHiraeth
JanLynn
(Jan) So Milw, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2006
4:28 PM

Post #2648030

container garden pix...EE

Jan

Thumbnail by JanLynn

JanLynn
(Jan) So Milw, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2006
4:29 PM

Post #2648036

fuchsia

Thumbnail by JanLynn

NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2006
6:16 PM

Post #2648370

Anyone here have kattamos' snail-mail address? Please dmail it to me.

We can send cards of 'kind thoughts' & 'missing your here' to her.

~* Robin

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2006
9:16 PM

Post #2648840

Welcome, MyHiraeth. You'll love it here if you don't already!

Jan, I don't think your doing your pictures quite right. Are you copying them into your post? Instead, try the "browse" button below and then go into the file on your computer that has your pictures in it.

Robin, don't you get an email from Dave if you don't open your d-mail? She isn't in the exchange? Maybe someone who lives near can drive around and look for her door? Really, though, I think you should ask Dave or Terry.

xxxxx,
Carrie

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2006
10:34 PM

Post #2649028

I have been waiting since March for my Daylilies to look like that. They just will NOT grow...or bloom...
shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

August 22, 2006
11:28 PM

Post #2649203

GG they will bloom for you next year. You probably planted them after they had bloomed. They bloom early in the spring for us. Someone told me to buy daylilies when they are blooming so you are sure of what you are getting, and have instant beauty. shirley

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2006
3:16 AM

Post #2650359

How deep do you have the daylilies planted? And how much sun?
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

August 23, 2006
4:25 AM

Post #2650528

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kattamos/
pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2006
12:07 PM

Post #2650906

Those are excellent pictures!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2006
2:55 PM

Post #2651362

AGUANE
Are those Kattamos' pictures???!!! They're dated August 2006, which means she's around SOMEWHERE, right? Do you have any knowledge of how she's doing, if she's ok, her whereabouts?

We've been waiting to hear something for months now on her wellbeing. If you have any information you can post publicly please let us know. If not, send me a private D-Mail. Give her our warmest regards, and let her know she is truly missed on this thread.

Godspeed.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2006
4:22 PM

Post #2651668

You can post a comment on her images, looks like she's current with those, she even posted a comment under the first beetle shot. Perhaps she just doesn't come here to Dave's anymore and so has no idea about the length and concern on this thread.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2006

Post #2651752

Well, just a few clicks on that image page and you can see that it was wrongly assumed Kattamos is a she. Makes sense being a truck driver that Kattamos is a HE, not that there aren't female drivers. An email is also there.
shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

August 23, 2006
5:09 PM

Post #2651812

Wow My DD was sure that Kattamos was a man. I said oh no that is a womans touch at the door. Well, at least we know HE is all right, and as he put it TAKEN. mystery solved lol shirley
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

August 23, 2006
6:31 PM

Post #2652071

Hi everyone,
A picture says a thousand words!
It appears all is very well in the Universe and we were all fortunate to have Kattamos alight on this thread and pollinate it. Look how its grown!

I began to wonder about this illusive person so I Googled kattamos and look what popped up.

~Susie
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

August 27, 2006
3:09 AM

Post #2663461

Ya know. I don't think Kat is a truck driver. It was assumed re his ref. to OTR, the pic of the side mirror on the auto, while he was away and the drip system. Pretty apparent he is a photographer on the prowl for subject and pics. Strange, isn't it, how one puts a story together. The need to fill in the unknown or 'black holes'.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2008
6:58 PM

Post #4591483

Bumping this one since it was such a hit and we can use the inspiration right now.
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #4592301

One of my favorite threads on DG- Thanks for reviving it Pirl!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #4592326

Agreed, and I think this guy never returned. Didn't he mysteriously disappear?

x, Carrie
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #4592400

With my current schedule at school, I've got to carve out time for DG. If I was working also, there would be no way to relax and have time to read anything I actually wanted to. Hopefully, it's the same with him. I wish him well wherever he is. :)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #4592915

You read stuff you want to read? DH is going to school FT and never reads anything that's not on his list!

x, Carrie
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #4593028

Ahhhhhhhh...

Thanks Pirl for bumping this back up. One of my favorite threads!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #4593062

You're welcome. I really enjoyed so many of the comments and all of the photos. If we have to do a Part II I'll write to kattamos to ask permission to use the photos he posted. How do we know he's a he? I've written to kattamos in praise of the garden a few times but haven't received any response. Since protocol more or less dictates that we ask permission (and I would) what should I do if I don't receive a reply?
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #4593105

Well, I'm not sure! Hmmmm? He/She is no longer a subscriber, but was active on flickr... did you try them there?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #4593177

No. How do I get there? Do you have a link you could send me? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #4593225

Pirl- http://www.flickr.com/people/kattamos/

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #4593303

Did you post to his photo site? x, C
KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2008
8:18 AM

Post #4599632

No, no, no, no, no...

There is no such thing as too many plants...

Thumbnail by KatG

KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2008
8:24 AM

Post #4599638

Plants. plants, plants! I'm in my glory!

Thumbnail by KatG

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2008
10:33 AM

Post #4599687

OH..a favored concept... too many... hahaha... and a great thread.. in reading it over It seems like a trip to Rare Find Nursery will work right into a trip to the Philadelphia flower show.. ( Is there any Daves group trip/meeting of members to the Phila show planed.. seemslikeanatural...) and his azalias and rhodies might be blooming some then.. Nice to remember the garden from '06.. as it's getting a bit overgrown inside already here..and there's still 2 more months to go.. there must be 50 seed pots started underlights here/now... my only salvation is that maybe they willl all expire and I can start over with a managable number.. after a trip to Rare Find... ha haha..OH.. not to worry.. most will make it and I'll still go for more there.. like this thread directs...
The dam elephant ears.. they grew through the sides of the double plastic bags they were overwintered in already.. the new leaf shoots went right through two thicknesses of heavy duty plastic bags...( in three places ) if you think little force is required to do this.. try doubleing a heavy duty plastic bag and try just sticking a finger right through it... amaizing strength..so now they are potted in the hallway.. for the next two months... With the one hundred seeds already planted..and the hundreds on order and yet to arrive.. I bet I don't have to go to the nurseries no more than 50 times this spring..
the best of years growing for ya'll... Gordon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #4600124

Your humor is so enjoyable, Gordon.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #4600138

Kat... gorgeous!!!! A bit of natural humidity, better than a tray of pebbles, too! Gordon, you need a program, like Dave's Garden! x, Carrie
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6066496

This thread has been on my mind for a few days now. It was one of my favorite threads and helped me get through a long miserable winter back then. We are sitting here with about 3 inches of ice on the ground I have spring fever SO BAD!
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6066517

Hi Brinda this is my favorite too,yours is next...sure would love to know what happened to him/her!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6066519

It's one of my favorites, too, Brinda.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6066646

Still on my watch list too!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6066676

Thanks for the BUMP! I loved this the first time!
Joyous
Himrod, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6066839

One of my favorite too. What a great way to spend a cold winters day!
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #6069374

Thanks for the bump! I just re-read the whole thread. And I again don't have the name of the begonia to the leftof the Escargot! ;-)
Seriously, I'm so happy to have this thread brought to my attention again. Now, I'm off to see what rex begonia's I can buy and subsequently kill again!
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #6069477

Is this the one you mean in post #1994234???Rex Begonia...
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6070790

Well that's my favorite Rex begonia in the thread and I'd LOVE to have the name AND that plant. But that post said the name of that begonia was unknown. But if someone knows it PLEASE tell me.

What I was originally asking was the name of the Rex Begonia in the first photo, to the left of the Escargot, just about dead center in the photo. It's very similar to the one in the "post #1994234" photo, but lacks the swirl.

I have a similar Rex Begonia, that I love even thought it is very lanky. I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have each of those other two and would very much appreciate any names people could toss out.

Thumbnail by 3gardeners

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6070815

Try Glasshouse Works and see what they have in begonias. I remember them having a large collection. http://www.glasshouseworks.com/trop-b2.html

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6070925

Try this page and see if any look like it http://www.rexbegonias.com/BEGONIAS.htm
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #6071630

OMG

When I stumble across Looking Glass surffing ebay, I had never grown a begonia in my life. I thought they were all ugly. Then I saw Looking Glass while surffing for Mercury Glass (I don't know how). I had to have it. I came to me pretty broken up, but I managed to keep the main section alive. Then I had to have more and more. I then managed to systematically kill each and every one of them. My precious Looking Glass has miraculously held on and I told myself to never, ever buy another. Then this wonderful thread pops up again and the obssesion is re-sparked. I can see that "Rex Begonias" is about to get some of my hard earned cash.
I pray I can keep them alive this time. I don't know how Looking Glass managed to hold on, but I hope these new plants are going to be just as tough. I'm not the best indoor plant grower.

Thanks pirl and Calif_Sue for the links. :-)

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6071878

Make sure to visit our Begonia Forum! Member hcmcdole is in Powder Springs, GA and has GREAT success growing all types of begonias, he's the man to ask.
beautifulchaos
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
6:08 AM

Post #6209646

It was nice to revisit this thread again. ;-) Thanks for reviving it Brinda!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #7560672

Bump.

We need the lush look right now with the threat of yet more snow!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7561286

Ahhh, one of my favorite blasts from the past, thanks pirl for bumping it!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7561417

I love this thread and only wish the initial poster would return.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2010
6:13 AM

Post #7563337

Well...come this time every year... this post gets revisited... thankfully... it's great to remember what is was like in the summer... giving the drive to make it through the last 2 months till spring here...
thisafew of the inside plants... here the night blooming cereus is blooming..about a dozen winter flowers from it... I had the last few blooming last night.. next bloomer up is the pluerias...I've about a dozen inflos on them inside...they will flower in a few weeks

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7563977

How much space do your plants occupy inside over the winter?
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7567204

Thanks for the bump. I Love to see this photo each winter. Sure wish I could visit that magical patio right about now. (And steal those Begonias!) This photo always tricks me into throwing away more money on Rex Begonias. Sigh..., they just don't like.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7567302

A few years ago I bought every one a local nursery sells and they were nice healthy plants. Every one of them died in short order so they don't like me either.
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2010
3:59 AM

Post #7568373

:-)
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2010
9:42 PM

Post #7574969

Ahhhhh, thanks for bumping this up!

And count me as a Rex Begonia killer too.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7584475

I have been accused of that too... No such thing! :-)

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

sylguy
Austin, TX

June 11, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7878394

I love begonias, but they don't always love me. I have a happy one now, will take pix. What I'd like is a source for one I saw edgeing areas inside the Richmond,Va. Botanical Garden, called Nautilus. It's dark green and silver and swirls more dramatically than any I've ever seen.
This is an early spring pic and my begonia is the upper left in a 2 pot iron wall hanger. Not a great pic, but all I have right now.

Thumbnail by sylguy

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7878513

It took a while to find your begonia but I finally spotted it.

Harmony's Nautilus is a sport of Escargot I read somewhere.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

sylguy
Austin, TX

June 11, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7879054

Wow, hcmc, that's it less the silver edges. Is Harmony (like a grower/hybrider) a source or part of the name...and what does "sport of" mean, exactly?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7879179

Harmony is a grower in FL of houseplants (African violets, peperomias, begonias, etc) and has many rex begonias created by them.

Sport is a variation (mutation) of the mother plant. This sport can be propagated many times over and introduced as a "new" plant. A lot of variegated plants are sports for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_(botany)

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #7879180

Sport.. usually refers to part of a plant or an entire plant that starts taking off looking unlike the other part .. this is a link to Logees... they have quite a few begonias... this is to the page of Escargot.. you have to go by what it looks like over what the name is listed to be as... sometimes a grower might name it something new to give fresh play to his line or available stock..
here's Escargot
here's the link after all
http://logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=B3224-2

This message was edited Jun 11, 2010 2:00 PM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

sylguy
Austin, TX

June 11, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #7879406

hcmc and Gordon, thank you so much, I'll be haunting your sources for my next begonias.
Side story, since you mentioned Peperomias. I have a huge, 15' tall ancient draecena in my living room. I went to water it a month ago and saw a clump of peperomia like leaves in the pot. I have never, repeat, never planted anything else in that pot. Turned out it bloomed one fushia pink bloom and it's a cyclamen. Talk about virgen birth! The pic is in my camera...I'll post later.
Again thanks for all the help, I'm off to order now. :)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7879985

Thanks for the bump! This was a pleasant way to spend a rainy evening.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7880411

sylguy...We'll have to take a road trip to Seguin... There's a nursery there, Greengate, that has quite a few begonias. And there's a very active Begonia group that meets at Zilker every month.

Austin Area Begonia Society
Meeting: 4th Sunday @ 2 p.m.
(except December)

sylguy
Austin, TX

June 11, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7880488

bigbubbles, you're on...I tried ordering from the above sources and the ones I want are out of stock. are you in the begonia club? I bought the one I have from them at the zilker show. I'm wide open (rare) the week of the 21st, and pretty open next week.

Thumbnail by sylguy

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #7881061

Great pix
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7881217

D-mail me and we can decide on a day.
And no, not in Begonia club... In Garden Club of Austin...a great group. We just had the flower show at Zilker last weekend.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7896271

Oh my, thanks for sharing your photos. Do you have them in on online album anywhere that we could see a slideshow of all your beauties? I have a nice breezeway but it lacks beauty like yours. Never grown any of the plants like yours except hostas but in the flowerbeds and can't have them because the deer love them that walk down our court and behind our houses. Will hostas grow in large pots? Live in Md. outside of Washington, DC and it is a different climate than Ga. but lately I know you all have been having some cold winters. I know what I like but don't have the knack for putting it together. I envy people that have green thumbs, and creative eye for color and composition and the guts/courage to try new things! Happy gardening!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7896297

New Thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1108507/
kathymac
Citrus Heights, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7901282

possess
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #8984222

Bump!

We need this thread in winter!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #8984232

ROTFLMBO!!!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #8984284

We in the north certainly need it. You, in sunny and warm Texas, are probably starting to garden already unless you're using an umbrella but up here we have almost two months to go before we can "think spring".

Enjoy the rain. I know much of TX needed it last year.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #8985044

Containers from 2011
[HYPERLINK@picasaweb.google.com]
This is th best way to show more than one image at a time.What a nuiscence to repost every time a new image is loaded
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #8985088

Many people tend to pass by links and others don't enlarge a photo. To each his/her own.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #8985136

A little truth to both. DG should allow a few pictures per post (maybe up to five or so?) instead of one per post. Personal blogs are okay but it shows only one viewpoint - the owner's.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #8992958

Wow...long thread to read and catch up on. Is katmoss no longer visiting? I loved the pics
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #8993023

The photos help us all get through winter. Kattamos isn't a subscriber now.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2012 9:05 AM
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #8993057

Well darn. I was wondering how many plants it took to fill in a small patio like that. I didn't see that in the previous posts, but I may just have missed it. Beautiful plants and pics.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #8993076

kattamos wrote:Last summer I was running about 300 emitters on my drip system.This is what worked for me.The fundamental part is the drippers themselves.They come in different capacities like 1/2 , 1 and 2 gallon per hour flow.I use 1/2 GPH.For large plantings like brugmansias, I use as many as 6 in one pot.If one dripper clogs, the others will keep the plant watered.The kits come with a few plastic stakes to anchor the drippers in the soil. Any extras needed are easily made from a wire hanger.

Since she ran 300 emitters I'd guess she had more than 300 plants.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #8993355

Could be. Like I said, I prob missed the post it was in. There are over 380 posts on this thread. Thanks for the info.
lonejack
Longview, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #8995082

Hi,
I read (I use as many as 6 in one pot. If one dripper clogs, the others will keep the plant watered.)
From this, I gather that kattamos is very interested in making sure that the plants are watered. She also uses the drippers
to feed her plants.
Paul.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #8995266

kattamos wrote:I never excepted this thread to get as many hits as it did. I am sorry about my slow response times. I am on the road a LOT lately. A battery operated drip system keeps them watered ,fed , and happy while I am OTR .

Kattamos was away on business so she used the drip system.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #8995543

The drip or micro sprinkler system works great in Hot-lanta - just need to remember to turn all valves on before you leave on vacation.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #8997830

I believe Kattamos is a "he"?
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #8998805

Hard to tell sometimes in these forums ...lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #8998911

That reminds me of an old Victor Borge tale about his 4 year old grandson being at a nudist camp with many other children. Victor asked him if there were any girls and the boy replied, "I don't know. They weren't wearing clothes".
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

February 24, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9018792

kattamos wrote:An outrageous accusation!There's no such thing.Enough plants...yes.Too many...never.Post some pics of last summer's lushness and help me prove my point.

What idiot in their right mind could tell you you have too many plants! I totally agree - never is there enough! I love your tapestry - beautiful!
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

February 24, 2012

Post #9018799

kattamos wrote:Another Rex Begonia found at Pikes Nusery here in GA.
I don't know the name except 4 inch pot 5$

That is a breathtaking Begonia!
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

February 24, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9018805

kattamos wrote:PraieGirlz5...I overwinter what I can and buy the rest at the local nurseries.The key to over wintering is to not over water.A generous splash in a cold basement every 3 weeks works well here in the ATL area.Here's another super easy plant for the new gardener.
Iron Cross Oxalis:grows from a tiny tuber and combines well with almost anything.

Oxalis is considered a weed in Australia - haven't heard of this variety though.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

February 24, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9018814

NatureWalker wrote:I like this one too; which is hibernating in the basement right now; Purple Heart, Purple Queen, Wandering Jew 'Purple Heart' (Tradescantia pallida) http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1160/index.html

~* Robin

I have had this plant for a long time, but never knew its name - thank you.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9019964

Kattamos has inspired me to try to do something similar, at least in one area. DH is truly *D* and has happily agreed to work on building me a stair-step or 3. I can't wait!!! =)

Truly, who on Earth could every say one has too many plants!?? They simply do not understand, we must feel sorry for them. =)
ericpeterson89
Boston, MA

September 19, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9280258

Too many plants is a good thing

Thumbnail by ericpeterson89   Thumbnail by ericpeterson89   Thumbnail by ericpeterson89   Thumbnail by ericpeterson89   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9280336

You can't have too many plants as long as they are a pleasure and not a hazard. It is only too many when we have to run areound to moved them to a protected area during a storm.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9280338

...and that's the truth!
lonejack
Longview, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9285632

Hi All,
Here are a couple of pictures of my tower gardens. Actually, I call these my snacking gardens; you pick and eat the produce and eat riight from the tower as it becomes ripe.
These have about 12 different vegetables and flowers in each tower. They have a bright future. I am going to plant 15 to 20 of these this next year.

Thumbnail by lonejack   Thumbnail by lonejack         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #9285681

"Snacking Gardens", what a great idea!! Sounds like the parsley I plant for the calerpitters! < =D (well, mostly it's for them, but I get a little bit for me too). ;)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America