Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pawny
San Leandro, CA

December 31, 2005
5:51 AM

Post #1947136

Is there a difference? I have been buying (I apologize, I do not remember the brand name) "bully sticks" for my dear Caera. They have been perfect!!!!!!! She can chew to her heart's content for a long time before they become small enough to be a choking hazard.

Just today I inadvertently bought "steer sticks" made by REDBARN. They look very similar, just not as consistent in their thickness and seem to be "smoked". She went through one in just about thirty minutes when I heard her cry just a bit as it had become lodged in her throat (it quickly came free and I even more quickly disposed of it).

I do know all dogs should be supervised when chewing on anything, but it was just that the difference in the chewing time was so drastically different between the "bully" and the "steer" and I am unsure if it is because of the "brand", the "type" or that I just got a bad batch.

Any advice you can give or info on the best place to purchase the right one would be great.

Sorry I have no new pictures of Caera (she is now 4 months old and 9 pounds!!!). the attached photo is of her at 8 weeks:-)

Thumbnail by pawny
Click the image for an enlarged view.

balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2005
4:21 PM

Post #1947529

Pawny, she is adorable.My Vet advised against any of the smoked chews, and the choking potential has me avoiding rawhide stuff for my girls now. They like real rib bones and often chew on the "Nylabone" kinds, as well as a "greenie" for a treat.
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2005
5:24 PM

Post #1947645

This reminds me of a few years ago I threw a rather large piece of cooked hamburger meat to one of my dogs. Being greedy she tried to swallow the thing whole and it got stuck in her throat. I had taken cpr and knew that when they cannot make a sound such as coughing that their airway is blocked. I didn't know what to do. Her tongue was turning blue and I called my husband to help. I tried to get it to pop back out by bouncing her up and down on my clenched fingers under her belly. It was stuck good and tight in her airway. I finally had to try to reach around it to pull it back out. There was hardly any room as the piece had completely filled the back of her throat. I just kept bouncing her up and down and finally I could get a little wedge behind the food and pop it out. She was nearly a goner. Now I break all her goodies up first because she is a swallow and think about chewing later type dog.
I was so upset. They can choke on just about anything, soft hard dried or fresh. Scarey.
Once those rawhides get slimely they can easily choke on them.
Whenever an animal or human can not make a sound that is a sure sign the airway is blocked. It is not a good idea to try to pop it out like I had to do as it can force the food further back into the airway. Unfortunately, this was all I could do since it would not be forced back out by forcing my heimlick manuever attempt to push it out from behind. I really thought she was going to die right then and there.
I think this was the worse and scariest thing that had happened to me with a pet up to that point.
pawny
San Leandro, CA

December 31, 2005
6:26 PM

Post #1947778

Gosh, that is so scarey. I had to give my previous Basenji the
Heimlich and I was lucky it worked. I agree, rawhide chews quickly and they caused one of my other dogs to throw up.

These "sticks" though are not rawhide, they are ummm...well let's just say they are a "muscle" of a bull:-) Unlike rawhide, they can not be chewed into pieces that can be choked on. They only get dangerous when their size is something the dog can try and swallow, that is when I dispose of them and get Caera another long one:-)

Just for a little more info I found on choking. I no longer let my dogs have white bread, some processed wheat breads, flour tortillas. These foods accumulate in their mouths, in the back of the throat, around teeth. If they accumulated enough, they can literally stick like glue in their throat and choke them.

Thanks for your input and I appreciate chatting about anything to keep our babies safer:-)
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2005
11:45 PM

Post #1948239

I totally agree on not using an rawhide chews. I get my babies beef femur bones at the local butcher shop, have the ends sawed off and do a slow bake of 3 hours to ensure all "clinging material" has been cooked to the point it is nothing. I will rebake to sanitize them every day or so depending on if they got attention during the 24 hour period.

These bones are so big not even Bullies can break off a piece of them, but they are great to keep them occupied and for teething. For treats they get homemake Peanut Butter treats.

Judy

Peanut Butter Treat Recipe

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup water
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Dough may be a little stiff. Roll to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut w/ cookie cutters. Bake at 300 degrees for20-30 minutes.

This message was edited Dec 31, 2005 6:47 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pets Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Does Anyone Show Dogs?? momcat 154 Jul 29, 2009 9:01 PM
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? gardenwife 20 Oct 2, 2009 7:10 PM
mourning DawnG 26 Jul 16, 2010 10:38 AM
Bertha got a hair cut!! MOLLYBEE 10 Aug 8, 2011 11:49 AM
Fritzie meets (& almost eats) Santa Claus Buttoneer 22 Sep 3, 2009 11:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America