we did it..!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

This week we purchased 8 acres in Kentucky. We are selling our 2 acres of swamp to head for the hills! Imagine, living 600 ft above sealevel...now that is a concept!

We are very excited about the move but we don't know when it will actually take place. We need to stay down here a little while longer so DH can work. We need to recoup some of our losses from the previous hurricane season. DH will be making several trips up there to get started on our new hermit home life..lol. I can't wait.

To most the following pics just look a piece of wooded land. To us, it is hope for a better tomorrow!

Here are a few shots I took this week. I love this old garden tractor.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

bunches of "Lisa treasures" are on the property. Lots of old bottles and other neat things. Here is what is left of an old wagon.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

there is also an old shell of a early model car or truck, we haven't figured it out yet.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

there are 3 small "ponds" on the property as well. My geese and ducks will love it there. Here is one of them.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

we also have a few creeks running across the property..our very own creek!! woohoo! Here DH proudly stands by it!!

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

we camped out on the property while we were up there. It was so much fun. Here is DH feeling quite the wilderness man cooking us breakfast. Ok, so he didn't actually kill the food, it was bacon we brought from home, but it made him fell like he marked out his territory..

He brought some fencing and T-posts up there so we can get started on fences. He fashioned a table together with old wire on the ground and it made a great outdoor kitchen..

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

an old barn sits on the neighbors property. I just love old barns and there are so many up there! I'm in my glory when we go site seeing.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Woooo hoooo! You are getting closer...........I might get to meet you yet! LOL I talked to someone that is really excited that you will be so close to them and I am jealous!

Looks like you have some neat finds! The creek and ponds will be great!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I was told that I wouldn't be happy to have a hedgeapple tree on the property (real estate guy told me that) I dunno, I think it is a pretty cool tree. I did lots of reading up on them and they served a very import role in the early settlers life. This one will stay standing, I love it.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Wow.. u are getting far and far away... Congratulation on your new land of KY! U got ur own creek! COOL! I have own creeks too! It brought lots of turtle even the critters( raccoon, deer, etc.)

I am so happy for you! I don't think I am ready to move away from Louisiana yet! DH have been talking about move to other state after he retire. It would be about 14 more years to go. Long way to go.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

hi chele!
yep, I'm pretty excited too...Melody is going to be a great neighbor. Kathleen's daughter also has property very close to ours.

I just wish the mass exodus from here wouldn't be so hard..How do you move a mini farm 600 miles?? lol..and all my junk here that I refuse to leave behind..it took me YEARS to collect junk, I'm not about to leave it....LOL

(I somehow think I'll look like EliMae going down the road with critters in tow)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

hi Mini,
yes, there are lots of critters that come to the ponds. We see all kinds of tracks.

moving away from here will be bitter sweet. Louisiana is the only life I know....but I can't help to think this is going to be a very positive move for us. Kentucky has lots to offer us. Cleaner air, less crime and NO HURRICANES!

it's going to be hard not being able to boil up a mess of crabs on a sunday afternoon. I'll be making lots of trips back home for sure.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Congratulations Lisa. Loved looking at your pics. You both have a wonderful adventure ahead of you. I'll look forward to all your updates.

Brenda

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

thank you Loon. I'll be excited about posting updates too! Yes, we do have a wonderful adventure ahead of us...

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

snicker giggle Ellie Mae! Hmmm, somehow I have no problem picturing that! Could you PLEASE put your hair in pigtails and let Mel know when you will be arriving? I HAVE to have a picture! LOL

I don't know much about moving a menagerie that far but I can tell you how to move about a thousand plants a shorter distance. LOL Been there, done that, got the skid marks (on my back side!) to prove it. hahahaha

Just mail me your yard. I'll take care of it until you get here. Bwah ha ha ha ha ;)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

snicker giggle Ellie Mae! Hmmm, somehow I have no problem picturing that! Could you PLEASE put your hair in pigtails and let Mel know when you will be arriving? I HAVE to have a picture! LOL

I don't know much about moving a menagerie that far but I can tell you how to move about a thousand plants a shorter distance. LOL Been there, done that, got the skid marks (on my back side!) to prove it. hahahaha

Just mail me your yard. I'll take care of it until you get here. Bwah ha ha ha ha ;)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

chele,
I'm most likely leaving the plants behind here. You are more than welcome to raid the yard.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

OMG! Why? I can understand leaving the trees and shrubs and such, but everything?? That was the second thing I moved. LOL One truck of furniture and home goods went first, then a truck load of plants went. I think I possibly have issues. :)

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Wow Congrat's to find the right place at KY y'all will move over there and hope you all will have wonderful life there and I am sure you all will miss lot of your family and realtives and friends from Louisiana and for sure you all will miss the Cajuns food In La. and at Landry's restaurant. (LOL) So are you will have the animals at KY to raise goats and what about the older pig and what about those cats that are you willing bring with you at KY? I am sure you will be okay to go visit in Louisiana sometime.

Lot fo time, I thinking about move out in La. but family and friends here more important to us don't think we will ever move again stay where we belong here. Right now our's parents really need us to take care when they need us to be there for them also our children too.

Mini what are your DH thinking about move out in La. when he retire after 14 yrs. where he would like to live at?

Lisa you all have a wonderful day this weekend! ;)

This message was edited Dec 31, 2005 10:19 AM

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

It's gonna be great, lots of work but a whole new life! I'm glad you got to camp on the property. Have you picked out a building site yet?

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Congratulations!

Great outdoor kitchen ;) I bet that was a great time!

That tree is pretty neat looking....what is the problem with them?

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

chele,
I know it is hard to read these words, but plants are just that..plants..lol. After everything we've gone through..well, the most important things are my family and animals. I'll be having to deal with getting them settled in and I'm afraid I'll not have time to deal with keeping zone 9 plants alive in zone 6 or whatever zone I'll be in..lol.

Rose, I know what you mean about family. I will struggle with the same issues. Did you know that the Landry family is distant kinfolk of mine? The ones that started the resturants there were my dads aunt and uncle. My grandmother was a Landry.

I will be bringing every critter with me. Every one of them will make the move with us. They are all important to us.

Mary, we've picked out a site already. DH should be up there in about 2 weeks to get started on the shed.

Jenks,
the hedgeapple makes a very large fruit that nothing seems to eat. It is messy and gives lawn mowers a hard time. The male tree also has thorns..at least I think it is the male tree. The fruit is heavy....if one of 'em fell on your head, I would think it would cause a nice bump..lol. Here is a picture of one:

This message was edited Dec 31, 2005 9:50 AM

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

oh chele...if I can't take these with me, then whats the use...lol

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Premont, TX(Zone 9b)

Congratulations Lisa !

Elva

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Oh really !
Well then, I am so glad that you will take all the critters with you at KY.
Good!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You are killing me!

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Here in Virginia the "Hedge Apple Tree" is called an "Osage Orange Tree", & I have quite a few on my property. I LOVE them. They provide extremely dense shade & even on the hottest day it's always cool underneath them. In my front yard I have a dense cluster of males under which I've set up a free-standing swing, & it's my FAVORITE place to settle with a glass of wine at the end of the day in nice weather.

Only the females produce the "oranges", & both the male & female trees have thorns. Around here both the deer & squirrels LOVE the fruit, & once they fall & start to soften, we have squirrels feasting on them during the day & herds of deer chomping on them in the evening. The bark is also a hands-down favorite of woodpeckers & warblers as the thick corrugations provide hiding places for insects.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

To add to Breezy's wonderful info ...

The 'Osage Oranges' (what they're referred to, here also) .. the FRUIT - are propurtedly some of the best 'natural' insecticide. Break open a few and give them a toss under your house ...

Not trusting my wee brain much lately .. but I beleive I do recall, that the 'fruits' aid as a 'pesticide', also. (Perhaps it should be a deterrent) .. as it will 'discourage' mice. (?)Feel free to correct and/or refresh me, please!

Melody, Lisa, .. Curious, as to the status of the infamous ‘Fire Ant’ .. in Kentucky ?

Ya may be doin’ a trade-off, of sorts! The ticks for the fire ants. Heck, I’ll take the blasted ticks over the dastardly fire ant, any day !

Am very happy for you guys !! Congrats on the find and the purchase !!

And .. ENJOY !!

- Magpye

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hey, Lisa, wasn't I good for not telling??? Do you know how much will power this took?????

We call them Osage oranges here, too. The native Americans used the wood for arrows. There's only one here, but I've been quite careful of it. The only threat is that the town may cut it down because its too close to the back road. SIGH.

Anyway, funny how your property looks very reminiscent of Melissa's property, except she has a river instead of a creek, with a little bitty sand beach! lol, nothing that's going to bring tourists! She's really looking forward to your move up, by the way.

Hmm, not sure how I feel about you and Melissa and Melody getting together without me there to defend myself!!!!!!

Bon Chance!

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh - the one caveat I HAVE learned about the Osages is that the fruits ARE heavy & drop without much provocation - especially after a hard frost or on a windy day. So we never park any vehicles near them once the fruits form & get large.

Just as an example, my husband used to enjoy himself "bowling" them off the lawn & down into the lower field. Well, one of his "gutter balls" bounced up & hit my truck, making a dent the size of grapefruit. And that was on a bounce!!

Also - edited to add that in case you're a "Martha Stewart" sort of person, dear Martha spraypaints the fruits in golds & considers them "da bomb" as far as holiday decorations & centerpieces. Go figure.

This message was edited Dec 31, 2005 1:21 PM

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Lisa your property looks great and I just LOVE your Lisa treasures!!

That car or truck frame looks like it needs afew hollyhocks to soften the edges LOL

Wish you could salvage the wagon wheels.

Love the little tractor thingy, i would definitely incorporate that into a garden!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yep, we're getting a bunch of folks here in Ky. Kathleen's daughter's property is just a touch over 6 miles from my driveway and Lisa's is 12 miles from my driveway...that's neighbors here!

This is gonna be fun....Kathleen and I have already got tons of mileage out of our jokes fso far...

Actually, I'm hoping that since I'm a 7th generation native here, I can help ease that transition a bit. Lisa has alraedy met folks and I hope that makes it easier to get used to things.

I took her to the Co-op on thursday and she met the folks who work there...Jesse bought a Carhartt jacket and some other stuff.... They're getting used to the roads and the landmarks...(ask her about the 'rooster barn') and meeting the locals.

I can't wait till spring....will have camcorder and still camera in hand when they come up the road with all their critters!

Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

Congratulations Lisa!!!
How exciting!! I'm sure you and Jesse can't wait to get started. Those woods should be fun for Sally to explore. I'm excited for you.

I've also heard that the Osage Orange will deter spiders. That's why they sell them in the grocery stores here.

What an adventure. And so many DG'ers around for you to get to know. How fun.

Have fun with all the ups and downs. And make sure that you take tons of pictures.

Ruth

rosswood, BC

Congrats

I moved a few chickens 1500 miles and then a couple years later moved them back..The relix look great.We had a car on our property, in manitoba Canada,that we called the Bonnie and Clyde car, cause it was shot full of holes.When cutting wood I discovered an old plow and a huge steel tractor wheel.They became lawn decor.
Now we have bought another small place here in BC.10 acres and a house thats not finished..It was built by timbers that the previous owner had cut down on the place.
We have a couple yrs till the boy gets outta school and then we,re there..I,ll build a big greenhouse and we,ll can all the salmon we can get.Theres rivers close by.
Hope you find all the treasures you seek.Maybe the new year is your year..Hope its a happy one..The pix are great.all those leaves will start a good compost pile to be augmented manure..Soon you,ll have the best garden around..
Congrats again..
Gord in BC

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh my Lisa....Jesse has a coat on!!! I think this is the first picture I have ever seen of him without his beautiful smile...must have been too cold. lol

I am so excited for you and your family. This will open a whole new world to you and it will be fun and exciting. How does Sally feel about the move? Kids are easy to move at her age as they can adapt easier.

I wonder how long it will take for your canjun accent to become Kentuckified....hehehehe
It will be nice to have a familiar face around to help you with adjusting to your new location. Melody, you take care of our little gal, ok?

We both send you all the best wishes for your move and your new HOME.

Hugs,
Donna

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Edited, cause it double posted. lol

This message was edited Dec 31, 2005 3:39 PM

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

How exciting!!! Congratulations on the new place. I love all your treasures too.
You can do wonderful things with those old vehicles in your gardens.

A friend says that the osage orange pokes out a thorn before it sends out its first leaf!
The wood is incredibly hard and was used for fencing by early settlers. I started a
bunch for my mom (she gave me the fruit for seed). They now line her property line.

Can't wait to see the follow up pic's & posts!
Tam

Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

Hey Melody what she doesnt know is that we have been conspiring...HEHEhahahhHEHEhahah....Just kidding Lisa you'll love it here...Your about smack dablaw(LOL) between me and Melody and it's a pretty ladi back area where you will be...When move day comes let me know if I can be of some assistance and if your critters need a home for a few days, well, we can do that to till all is done. Your definately going to need some daylilies for that place...snicker snicker.bbbuuuuaaahhhhhhhhhh

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Hurrah, Lisa, what a wonderful new home. ponds and creeks and junk... just plain great news. ~Blooms

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Lisa, Lisa! Congrats! Congrats! It'll be just so wonderful for you all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images