Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Home Decorating: My Anniversary Surprise!

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 28, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2006
5:45 PM

Post #1952689

Wow what a surprise it was.
I was gone for just 1 week, I returned 2 days before our 3rd anniversary.
M didn't say a word while I chit-chatted about my trip, the grand kids, the plane ride and how happy I was to be home.
I walked into the bedroom and there it was - what a fabulous surprise.

Thumbnail by dovey
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2006
5:53 PM

Post #1952703

I should have guess because before I left he was asking me about my preferences...
Like if I wanted our bed to match the night stands he had built a couple of years previous. (Jatoba - Brazilian Cherry and African Wenge)

I guess my head was elsewhere... ;-)

Thumbnail by dovey

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2006
5:56 PM

Post #1952710

I was floored - I couldn't believe he built the bed in the 1 week I was away!

Thumbnail by dovey

Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2006
5:59 PM

Post #1952713

Your husband built that??? WOW!!! That is incredible...and beautiful too!!! Happy Anniversary!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2006
6:00 PM

Post #1952717

Close up of the different wood grain and colour all in the same Brazilian Cherry.

Thumbnail by dovey

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2006
6:08 PM

Post #1952724

Hi Brinda,
Yes! He's amazing, all of the furniture he builds is built without plans.
He starts with a vision in he head - maybe a few sketches, then he's in the shop not to surface for days *LOL*

He also built the bed-side tables (and the Lamps)
Ok I'll stop before I sound like a beastly braggart.

I'll tell him you like it...

Dovey
fireant13

(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2006
7:47 PM

Post #1952838

What a great hubby! The furniture looks as good and better than what can be found in stores. (I can see why you wanted to redo the ceiling fan, if it was in this room.)
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2006
9:19 PM

Post #1953001

The before photo was in this room - (because I forgot to do a before photo) - How ever did you guess?
It's very Sherlock of you *LOL*
I have the same fan in the dinning room and I painted that one.

My original idea was for the bedroom, but after we opened the wall between the living room / kitchen / dinning room to form one great room I figured I would paint the bedroom fan to match the one in the dinning area.
I'll move it to the great room which is open to the dinning room -and I'll have a match.

Now the question is, what fan style do I need for the bedroom?
I really don't want a repeat of the other two. Besides I'm fresh out of brass fans to paint.
BetsyBug
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2006
1:08 AM

Post #1953465

OMG - he built that? AMAZING
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2006
2:50 AM

Post #1953679

Dovey, you are so lucky to have such a fine craftsman on call. lol
His work is beautiful, and the ability to dream it up and build it is amazing.
fireant13

(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2006
3:33 AM

Post #1953760

There are a lot of fan options out there. Something craftsman looking or arts and craft maybe.

Balvenie, I like the door jambs you did. The carving must have taken a lot of time.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2006
12:20 PM

Post #1954091

BetsyBug,
Don't get me going again - or I'll be posting photos of everything he has made, home movies too! *chuckling*

Dovey
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2006
12:45 PM

Post #1954134

Balvenie,
Coming from an artist such as you that is high praise indeed. I'll be sure to pass it on to M.

I was looking at the photos of your sun-room, although you didn't mention it, I noticed shingles.
You even turned shingles into a work of art.
How long have you been doing stained glass?
The darkroom door jam is fantastical.

Is this a hobby or do you sell your work?
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2006
12:50 PM

Post #1954141

Can some on post a link or explain the difference between Art Deco & Art Nuevo?
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2006
12:55 PM

Post #1954148

Fan options... I'll look into Craftsman and Arts&Crafts.
I'm thinking I'd like to soften the look a little. I'm more eclectic than theme motivated when decorating.
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2006
2:31 PM

Post #1954266

Dovey, briefly, Art Nuveau was primarily from the late 1800's to early1900's overlapping Art Deco somewhat in the 1920's. It is
based on curvilinear designs, often taken from and representing nature. Art Deco was a later phenomenon coming around the late 1920's to early 1930's and based on more geometric lines.
Carving, glass, etc are just hobbies. Wish I had your DH's woodworking skills, he's so very good. (he has a nice shop too)
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2006
8:13 PM

Post #1954840

Oh my goodness! Can I borrow him for a few weeks! WOW Dovey, I thought you were lucky he was so handy in the remodeling department... I'm downright GREEN now! :-)

Melissa
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2006
8:27 PM

Post #1954863

That is absolutely gorgeous! You are lucky to have such a talented hubby. I have been sleeping on a king sized mattress on the floor since November 1st. LOL I am bound and determined to not spend money on this house (when possible) until the other house sells and I can do what I want here. Finding motivation to get the other house up for sale is somewhat dwindling as I just want to be here ALL the time!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2006
10:15 PM

Post #1957021

Melissa - He cooks and bakes bread and makes killer pies too *wink*
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2006
10:18 PM

Post #1957028

Badseed,
Get some candles, incense and make a bookcase with cinder blocks. You won't be sleeping on the floor you'll be retro chic.

Dovey
(PS you might want to tie-dye the sheets too)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2006
12:35 PM

Post #1958046

ROTFLOL I really just have no desire to go buy a new bed frame and when we moved I tossed the other one. I kind of lost my *sense of style* somewhere over the years and even though I go look at beds, nothing screams buy me! Yours is beautiful but I have not seen any like that. ;)
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2006
1:41 PM

Post #1958116

Badseed,
Sounds like you love, love, love your new place. That's so cool.

Soon after we married we moved, at that time he tossed his king-sized bacheloresque water-bed in all it's 1980s glory.

At least 5 times in the past 2 years I've changed my mind over the style of bed I thought I wanted.
I flitted from Four Poster to old fashioned Sleigh Bed to Modern Minimalist.
It's not like we were going to a furniture warehouse, where I could change styles in 5 years and pick something else.

Changing your mind is not good when your husband is going to build it from an design that exists only in his minds eye.

I was sooo relieved when he just did it, the design (IMO) is classic and not the least trendy.
He called it "Mission meets Art Deco" a combination of straight honest lines softened by graceful curves of the corners & legs.

Dovey

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2006
6:48 PM

Post #1958698

I have to laugh about the waterbed! Our old bed? It WAS the base to my hubby's old waterbed! LOL We made a top for it and turned it into a pedestal type bed because it had drawers and I didn't want to give up the storage. We sure gave up a lot of storage with this house!

Your bed is beautiful. I am sure glad you did not opt to change your mind cuz I would sure hate to hear about your divorce. :)
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2006
7:20 PM

Post #1958735

*chuckling* I guess we both married suave playboys and with sloshy, I mean swanky water-beds.
To think they gave it all up for us! *swoons*

It sounds like you love your new house, it must be special, that you would give up all the storage and space.
(photos - hint, hint)

Funny thing, the only furniture he has build for me that I would like to change my mind is my opus furniture, he made to my specifications exactly.
He always asks for my ideas and incorporates the things important to me in his design, but after that, I let him be. He has a way of communicating with wood, I have learned to bow to the gift.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2006
8:30 PM

Post #1960628

Wow, dovey, this is beautiful! I love it for exactly how your husband describes it: [quote]"Mission meets Art Deco" a combination of straight honest lines softened by graceful curves of the corners & legs.[/quote]

Now I know what I want for my bed (can you believe I have never, in my whole life, had even a headboard?) Not sure I can make one that would end up looking like that, though, lol
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2006
3:08 PM

Post #1962015

Hi Maggie,
Thanks, I think he has an artist's connection with wood.

No headboard? Ever...? What do you hang on too when... never mind ;-)

I'm really no good at anything like that. When M was deployed I tried to hang a very heavy picture and lost 2 molly screws into the dark recesses of the wall (which he found when he tore down that wall)

I finally found a stud (not the neighborhood kind - but the wall kind) and got it hung.
There are always at least 3 holes behind every picture, mirror or shelf I hang.

So, If if didn't have a headboard I think I would paint one on the wall behind the bed and frame it with molding. (I can used a miter box with reasonable success)

Dove
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2006
3:59 PM

Post #1962088

LOL! (blushing)

Yeah, I have the same problem trying to hang things. It absolutley paralyzes me when it comes to putting things on the wall, because I don't want to end up with "Swiss cheese" walls. Whenever I get the courage up, what I hang on the wall has to stay there almost forever!

I've played around with the idea you talked about, painting the wall and then framing with molding for a headboard effect (after all, the headboard is a focal point, but a focal point can be a piece of furniture or something on the wall.) I always chicken out on that, too, because I like to move the furniture around a bit. I'm thinking of having one of my photos printed out at Kinkos on canvas, and framing it, then hanging that above the bed - making a focal point that I can move if necessary. What do you think?

Thumbnail by maggiemoo

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2006
9:38 PM

Post #1962637

Your photo is amazing!
How large can kinkos blow it up? Never realised kinkos had that capability
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2006
10:08 PM

Post #1962724

Thanks, I really love that photo, it's a Shasta daisy "Crazy Daisy", took the pic at my local extension office a couple of years ago. It's been a while since I first checked, they can blow it up pretty large, supposedly without pixelating. I was thinking about the $30 size, I think it's something like 20x30(?). Anyway, it's proportionate to an 8x10, but much larger.

I got the idea to check with Kinko's from one of the make-over shows on TV. They took a picture the homeowner had taken and had it blown up on canvas.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America