Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: brugs and bald eagles

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 6, Views: 188
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2001
8:13 PM

Post #8141

A whole bunch of bald eagles live above my patio and deck on a huge Spruce tree and have been dropping eagle guano all over some of my brugs. Would you call that foliar feeding? LOL Anyway up here on the Pacific North West Coast on Vancouver Island, we have a mulch called fish compost, made from Salmon morts from the fish farms and mixed with bark mulch. I top dress all of my gardens with it in the spring and mix it with potting soil for the brugs. They seem to love it.
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2001
10:07 PM

Post #92434

Just like fish fertilizer and no weeds that you get from cow etc. Does attract woodbugs sometimes but if you put cornmeal out in a jar lid they eat it and explode. How lovely. But the woodbugs were eating my strawberries and it worked like a charm.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 10, 2001
1:27 PM

Post #92664

Brugcrazy,
Ahh, yes-fish. Grandfather and I use to put a small fish under each plant as fertilizer. Worked cow manure into the soil before hand though. Of course with this method one has to sit outside waiting with a rifle for the fox that is lurking in the woods. Given half a chance he sneaks up and ruins the plant and steals the fertilizer. Of course, now I just use fish emulsion. Wishing I had more time to fish to get some good fertilizer though.
Brugmansia
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2001
4:32 PM

Post #92750

The fish compost I put on my brugs and gardens is at least 1 year old and has absolutely no smell at all. It looks like black fine bark mulch. Makes the gardens look superb. I also get lots of fish that the eagles drop during feeding time. I'll send those on to Brugmansia as he has no time to fish. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America