Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ornamental Gourds: APPLE of my eye...gourd that is

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 31, Views: 244
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2006
5:44 PM

Post #1964294

I started this project this morning as I have a meeting of my "gourd ladies" tomorrow and I wanted something to take for "show and tell"!

I am using green and red leather dye on this Apple...I still have some more work to do on it, but will post the finished product. Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2006
2:41 AM

Post #1970735

Got it finished toady...put about 3 coats of polyurethene on it.

The leaves are from a silk rose. I trimmed the jagged edges off the leaf to make it look more like an Apple leaf.

I like it. Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

farizona
Bowie, AZ
(Zone 8B)

January 12, 2006
2:43 AM

Post #1970742

I like it too, Jo. Looks ready to eat.!!
Frances
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2006
1:04 AM

Post #1972785

Lookin' great to me!

Good job! Love it!

FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2006
6:50 PM

Post #1973903

Neat!!
lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2006
1:43 AM

Post #2043472

Well Jo, that is a beautiful apple. looks so real.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2006
2:39 AM

Post #2131958

I love apples! Simple but realistic. Very nice!
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2006
10:57 PM

Post #2156117

That is so pretty. And looks so real.

Lavina
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2006
11:39 PM

Post #2156198

Thank you...I am just putting Cherry Leather dye on another one today. Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2006
4:28 PM

Post #2312869

Jo -- do you remove the seeds, or let it rattle? It's so sweet -- looks amazingly like an apple. Another proof God has a sense of humor.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2006
8:26 PM

Post #2313498

I didn't open one of them...as I knew that the seeds wouldn't be "true" anyhow...but the others I cut the top off and made a candy dish out of it...with the lid...I did save the seeds from those.

I received your mail today and went by Paulines to pick up your "stuff"...I'll get it mailed after next week. Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2006
4:59 PM

Post #2331719

Thanks, Jo -- I'm moved in now, and after the chiropractor is through with me, I'll be ready to sit in the air conditioning and do gourd art and plan where to put the big A-frame for the gourd garden next year. I'm really excited about that garden. My one remaining gourd in a pot survived very well, and the one gourd on it seems very happy and tells me it intends to get ripe and nice. It's VERY happy now, and has put out one more female flower and dozens of males. I don't think I got the female fertilized; the flower had pretty much wilted by the time I knew it had opened and took a male flower to it. We shall see. In this area, I still have six months for them to ripen.

Thanks again -- I'm all excited about the gourds. I'll send pictures if I do anything at all remarkable.

Ann

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2006
4:00 PM

Post #2607328

Hey Y'all, Well please help me out here! I have the most beautiful Apple guourd plants, even with the drought we have been having! The problem is that I see tiny little "Apples" form and they get to about 1 inch and then they just shrivel up and fall off! What is happening here? I know they are getting enough water cause I water every day ! I just dont know what happens to the little "Critters"!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2006
4:06 PM

Post #2607348

I don't know what to tell you but I'll try to find out...I have heard that the Apple Gourd is rather hard to get fruit from. Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2006
4:07 PM

Post #2607350

I've never grown apple gourds, so I don't know how they act. Are they getting fertilized? Or does the ovary grow and then shrivel if it doesn't? The only other thing I can think of is some kind of borer. The next one it's happening to, take as much of the vine as you can and do an autopsy -- just split it lengthwise and see if you find a worm in it.

I hope you figure it out. It hurts to get them so far and wind up with compost. I had gorgeous spaghetti squash growing one summer and wound up with 2 edible squashes. :(

Good luck!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #2607374

See this cute little Booger! I got a nother days worth of growing and then just started to wither away! Ive tried the "Autopsy" and the Vine check, No Critters!
Could I be , over fertilizing? Im using Miracle Grow on them!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2006
4:17 PM

Post #2607389

You might consider cutting back on the fertilizer. I don't remember what I read about that, but if I can find it I'll pass it on. Is the heat beating them up pretty badly? We're in the same zone, and it's been brutal here.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2006
4:22 PM

Post #2607404

Oh my gosh yes! We live in an area that has been running between 98 and 100 everyday for two months! My Gourds are in Direct light and are just withered every after noon! They perk right back up before morning but the stress on everything here has been so bad!
Do you think Maybe since these are growing on an old Clothesline that they might do better on the ground running?
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2006
4:47 PM

Post #2607478

I wish I could tell you, but I don't know. Your leaves look healthy, so you should probably keep doing MOST of what you're doing. Maybe, as Jo says, they're just really hard to grow.

It's picking at the back of my brain that there is one standard plant nutrient (either P, N, or K) that you want to stop when they start setting fruit. I may have to find it in a book at home (don't have the net at home) and get back to you, but I'll try to find it asap.

Hey, Jo! (I know you're lurking.) Who is the author of the Gourds in Your Garden book?
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2006
4:49 PM

Post #2607482

http://www.twincreek.com/gourds/growing.htm

This seems to have some good advice.

edited to say that the hyperlink thing creates itself. this is way cool.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2006 11:50 AM
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2006
5:11 PM

Post #2607548

From what I can glean, I think maybe you might try cutting back on nitrogen. I'll keep looking, but my best bet is the book that is at home.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2006
5:43 PM

Post #2607652

Yes, you don't want too much N but being able to "cut back" will depend on what you used in the first place, i.e., compost? 10-10-10-? Osmocote? etc.

I'd wager a guess that since you've had record breaking temperatures what is happening is the pollen is not viable. Many flowers/fruits lose their pollen viability at high temps. Humidity will also come into play as it will make the pollen clump together, thereby inhibiting proper pollination. That being the case you will see the beginnings of "fruit" and then death of the fruit because it has no viable life in it.

As for being on a clothesline, many plants that are growing "in the air" will lose more moisture through transpiration than plants growing on the ground. I think if your plants are perking back up each day, once the temps cool and sun is off of them, then you are strictly dealing with environmental issues, not bugs.

Is that any way to shade the plants during the hottest part of the day? (Shade cloth, sheets? ) Or perhaps giving them a good root watering and mulching them very well to help keep the roots cooler will also help.

Hang in there! Soon the temps will cool and more than just the plants will once again be happy!

Sign me,
Entirely-too-hot-to-handle!
Shoe.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2006
5:51 PM

Post #2607669

Thanks Y'all, Im goingh to go to the hyperlink now and see what I can find out! the Miracle grow is what I use on everything and I've never had a problem before but I do like the Shading Idea ! I'll see about getting some of my old Shear curtains out and see if that will help! I guess its too late to get them off the Ole clothesline trellis!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2006
6:06 PM

Post #2607708

Shoe to the rescue...AGAIN...isn't he a dear??? He has saved me many times.

Ginger Sumit (or is it 2 m's) is the author...but I understand that it is out of print..but I wouldn't know why as I think it is the best gourd book around...my library has it.

I would think that Apple Gourds would not be trellised...the weight of them may pull them down...although I have seen them growing on a full leafed trellis before at a friends house. Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2006
8:13 PM

Post #2608033

Jo, I got it on GS's website, along with her book on gourd musical instruments.

Eufaula, before I moved to my house I had the gourds in a pot on the patio. I had to cover it with shadecloth and it did the trick -- but all that was wrong was the leaves were wilting horribly. Of course, the heat on the patio was more intense than it is in the yard. But setting up a little half tent to keep the afternoon sun minimal sure might help. I got mine at HD -- the beige kind. Keep us posted!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2006
5:06 PM

Post #2624892

Oh Shoot! Would nt you know! We finally get wonderful rain and cooler temps and what happens my Great Dane gets tangled around the Planter at the base of my Apple Gourd and dumps it over! It broke of several runners but the main plant is in tact! Will " pruning" a gourd plant harm it?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2006
5:50 PM

Post #2625012

Nope...won't hurt them...but if it took a "female" shoot then you lost some future gourds. If fact, pruning some of the "male" vines helps. Jo

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2006
5:56 PM

Post #2625032

Thanks Jo! Right now Ive lost all but vines to the heat! but the plants are vigoris so Im hoping they will produce again! All the shoots I had just shrivelled away! they are sending out tendrils nicely though and attaching to everything in there way! The one thing I can do though, is to take advantage of getting them off the trellis and trying to get them to run on the ground instead to see if this will help!
Oh yeah! Great Dane Deisel is in his run for the duration!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2006
6:06 PM

Post #2625064

Just be very careful cutting. Take it from me! They vine around so, I cut the wrong vine and killed a beautiful gourd.
TurtleChi
Danville, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2007
10:45 AM

Post #3357991

Once again Jo very nice... I am growing some of these so I hope to be able to play and get maybe something close to yours... NA more then likely nothing half as pretty...
SUsan
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #3372191

Jo I have one that I am doing like yours. Very nice aren't they?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2007
5:38 PM

Post #3372693

I love them! I have 4 waiting in line to be cleaned...someday! Jo

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America