Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Woodworking: Woodworkers unite!

Communities > Forums > Woodworking
bookmark
Forum: WoodworkingReplies: 104, Views: 613
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2006
2:00 PM

Post #1966012

hiya fellow woodbutchers...lol.

Let's see how many of us there actually are here.

For those of you that don't know me I'm drdon, I have a small shop and do some woodworking and woodturning. I'm still a bit of a novice, but hope someday to be able to do some cool stuff.
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2006
2:06 PM

Post #1966038

Here's a couple of bowls I recently turned. The taller one is made from a single billet of Bubinga, an African hardwood, the darker, smaller one is from a single billet of the Mexican hardwood Cocobolo.

The Bubinga bowl

Thumbnail by drdon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2006
2:07 PM

Post #1966043

Cocobolo

Thumbnail by drdon

dave

January 10, 2006
2:19 PM

Post #1966082

I'm raising my hand!! I've always been into construction (barns, chicken coops, and such-like) and very recently I have started getting into building finer items. I even got a router last month.

Over the last month, I've read several books about fine woodworking and I'm close to getting my feet wet. My first project will be a hand-made dove-tailed carcass box.

On my want list is a jointer, planer and a table saw. A lathe would be fun but that's for later. :)

I hope to participate and learn a lot in this forum!
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 10, 2006
3:42 PM

Post #1966281

My gosh Don, is there anything you can't do or make? I am a very versatile person also, although not great at anything special. I love to work with wood and also refinish wood projects. I've always wanted to learn to carve wood like balvine, but haven't had the time to learn, with all the other projects I have going.

The bowls are beautiful and I love the wood you used. Are these the projects you were trying to finish before Christmas?

Donna

drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2006
3:58 PM

Post #1966319

hiya SoCal,

great to see you!

Yes, these are a couple of projects that I was hurrying to finish prior to leaving town for the holidays. As far as if there is anything I can't do...well, I've thought about that at length and the answer is Yes. If I tell you all the things I can't do it would certainly ruin this lovely ego trip I've been on for decades...lol, so in order to maintain my rather fragile self-esteem I'll refrain from listing them here...lol.

Super to see you over here already. Isn't this whole evolution of DG amazing?

best to you always,
hope the Salvias are doing well,
don
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 10, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #1966350

Hi ya Don,

Oh don't worry about having to tell me about the ones that don't do well, just keep trying to do the things you "enjoy". That's how I look at it. lol

Yes, this new area is going to be wonderful, I just have to remember to come over here to check them out once in a while.

Many of my salvias are doing well, although a few haven't made it. I can't remember which ones they are at the moment. The one salvia that is tall with yellow flowers has been blooming for 2 months now and it is about 2 ft. tall. It is growing straight up and not getting full yet, so when we had the big rain storm last week, I noticed the wind was bending it over. I ran outside in the rain and put a stake it it immediatley. Phew, saved another one.

I will dmail you soon about your package for our trade, ok?

Donna
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2006
4:32 PM

Post #1966409

hiya SoCal,

No worries about such things. I've got more going on right now than I can handle...lol. As far as replacements for the ones I sent you I've still got all of them and will be rooting a bunch of them prior to the RU so I can replace the ones that were killed in packaging and transit then if that works for you.

As far as the yellow one, that's Salvia madrensis. It will be lanky until you get new spring growth. It gets pretty big and next year will probably top 6ft in your climate with the great gardens you have it could get even bigger.

always the best to you,
don
ecobioangie
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2006
7:02 PM

Post #1967129

Love the cocobolo bowl. My first lathe project ever was a cocobolo bowl. Holy cow what a project. LOL Suffice to say it isn't as delicate as yours. Mine could kill a man. It has a knot that caught one of the tools and the bowl broke off the base plate and went rolling across the concrete floor. 6 screws broken off and not a dent in the bowl. lol Props to the D man. :)
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2006
7:52 PM

Post #1967221

Hiya ecobioangie,

good to see you!

Yes indeed it's a very hard wood, but didn't you love the texture of it once you'd sanded it and the oils had a chance to emerge. Smooth like polished marble and about as hard...lol. Sharp tools, sharp tools, sharp tools. I can't even recall how many times I went back to the whet stone to hone dulled gouges. Have you ever turned snakewood?...it's so hard that it takes a finish right from the tool. I couldn't believe it the first time I turned a piece with that would.

best,
don
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2006
8:09 PM

Post #1967275

Don, beautiful turnings. Your skills are endless. The grain on the cocobolo is spectacular.
ecobioangie
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2006
8:10 PM

Post #1967279

All I know is by the time I was done I had nubs for tools. lol Or well, the shop at school did. LOL I've never been so grateful for a full face safety mask than when that thing started throwing tools. Nope, never tried snakewood. I don't have the luxury of a lathe any more. Those were the college days. :)
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2006
2:47 AM

Post #1968287

How about a wannabe woodworker? I built a couple of birdhouses in Dec '04 out of some cedar fenceboards, and immediately dubbed myself a "woodworker", lol. I have downloaded plans for some simple garden benches and tables, I have a few tools, and now I need some encouragement.

So glad to see this forum!
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2006
4:10 AM

Post #1968475

Go for it Maggiemoo, all the mistakes make good kindling so there's no way to fail.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2006
4:20 AM

Post #1968490

That's an excellent point! Too dry around here to light a fire right now, but maybe we will have had some rain by the time I get my first hundred mistakes behind me, lol.
daisyruffles
Albany, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2006
6:53 AM

Post #1968608

Well, Don,
I want to brag here too along with you all.
This picture is a bowl made by my younger son a few years ago (he was in 8th grade) in a lathe class that he took. I thought it turned out pretty good for a kid.
Carol

Thumbnail by daisyruffles

drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2006
12:02 PM

Post #1968768

hiya daisyruffles,

It turned out good for anyone. Heck if I showed some of my first ones you'd laugh at how silly they looked. I'm self-teaching, so I make lots of mistakes. And so far I'm just learning how to hollow out vessels like pots and vases. I think he did a marvelous job, but then I'm partial to woodturners. This year I'm getting a new lathe so that I can grow into the machine. The lathe I have now is basically a little hobby lathe. It'll be neat to try out bigger projects.

This one was done from African Padauk and the lip is of Venezuelan Snakewood.

please give your son a good pat on the back from another woodturning novice.

best,
don

Thumbnail by drdon

balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2006
6:21 PM

Post #1969595

Carol, really neat bowl, especially for one his age. Is he still into woodworking?

Don, beautiful sinuous vessel, the snakewood rim adds a lot to the flowing lines
of the grain. (Not meant in a negative way,but the profile reminds one of an elegant
cuspidor, though too gorgeous to use of course. lol) Surely not the work of a
'woodturning novice'.
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2006
6:45 PM

Post #1969631

lol balvenie...it's okay amigo, you can call it a spitoon...lol

When I took it off the lathe, that's exactly what I thought as well...lol

I do like the way Padauk colors up, but I probably won't turn it again because, kind of like mahogany the grain requires filling.

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
11:25 PM

Post #1972617

Hello all. drdon, you do it all. I love the bowls. I have always loved to work with wood. I even helped build our barn, board fences and built my own deck on the house. Not bad for an old grandmother. DH is sweet but isn't sure which end of the hammer to hit the nail with.

I have all of the toys that the big boys have, a lathe, routers, saws drills and I even know how to use most of them. LOL

I even quilted the pillows on the swing and built the purple pottingshed in the background. LOL My friends say I am NOT your average Grandmother. I guess that is a good thing. Look forward to getting to know everyone here.

Betty

Thumbnail by picabo

maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2006
12:21 AM

Post #1972707

Oh my gosh, Betty, you're an inspiration! I'm trying not to have tool envy, as so many of you have all the tools that the big biys have, lol.
SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2006
2:48 PM

Post #1975755

Wonderful work you all it is so gratifying when you take a piece of wood and turn it into something so beautiful. I only get to do some of the finish painting or staining but my hubby does scroll art and turning, he has let me practice on his scroll saw but I have found out it is not as easy as it looks..Here is one of the clocks he cut a few months ago..

Thumbnail by SnowBird56

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2006
2:55 PM

Post #1975772

Beautiful scroll saw work on the clock. I have seen it done and it really takes a craftsman.
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2006
3:01 PM

Post #1975790

Whoa,

that scrollsaw work is very intricate and nice indeed.

picabo, you're another 'do it all'...lol, nicely done on the swing...huge props!

keep those projects coming, this is very exciting,
don
SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2006
3:09 PM

Post #1975812

Thanks I love it but I really need to get a better picture now that he has added the pendulum to it and I have watched him and so many of the pieces he does are so detailed especially his portraits, he cut my son's military picture out and it was so amazing how he captured all the details of his face.

balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2006
3:21 PM

Post #1975847

V, marvelous work. I've seen similar work at craft shows and am amazed at how intricate these pieces are. It hardly seems possible, and the length of time required to drill and reset blades for each little cut boggles my mind. Your DH sure has a great talent. Can we see more?
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2006
3:45 PM

Post #1975909

Hi Don, The swing support was built with the intention for it to be the end supports for the floor of a tree house for the g kids (OK, Grand Mom too). After the swing was built I decided that I don't want the treehouse attached to the deck, just in the big Maple tree beside the deck. Worked out OK, now if the horse comes on the deck I have No Worry if she sits in the swing it will hold her. LOL
SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2006
4:00 PM

Post #1975934

There truly is a lot of time consumed in a single piece with some pieces needing 100 or more holes drilled as was the case in this portrait of my son. He has done a few of our family members and a lot of country music and race car drivers portraits. But if I see something I like I have gotten him to cut out some things for my garden as well and he just finished our greenhouse a month ago. But as you can tell I am very proud of him and I think he is very talented artist.
Here is the one of my son..I really need to get my other digital camera to take better pictures.

Thumbnail by SnowBird56

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2006
4:07 PM

Post #1975956

I would be proud to, he is a great artist. That portrait is beautiful.
SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2006
4:07 PM

Post #1975957

This forum is so exciting and so glad to see it and I know I love seeing everyones work and Betty that is my next project I want him to build for me or maybe teach me to use all the tools but I love just doing the finish work myself..but on some pieces I am not even allowed to touch that part of it..
Here is one piece of Intarsia that he just finished for our newest grand baby's room.

Thumbnail by SnowBird56

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2006
4:13 PM

Post #1975980

The bear is so cute. What is Intarsia?
SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2006
4:29 PM

Post #1976010

Intarsia is like a mosaic and the design is cut out of different colored woods and then put back together, routing and sanding each piece. It's so hard to describe but it's really just like putting a puzzle back together after you have taken it apart.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2006
4:36 PM

Post #1976033

Really pretty!!
Magwar
Royston, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2006
9:04 PM

Post #2068646

*Raises hand* Getting into it myself. I have created several wells, birdhouses, etc for friends and family. Husband just bought me a table saw, a router set, and several hand tools. *smiles* I hope to do enough of this to start my own buisness (side business of course).

DrDon: I LOVE the bowls. I want to be able to do that, but its going to be a while. I saw the plans on how to make bowls like that, but I just don't have the tools yet =D
bseddon
Pittsfield,, MA
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2006
12:41 PM

Post #2109214

I have a great shop. My husband, who is a cabinet make gets a lot of teasing when he buys me a tool because no one quite believe him when he says it's for me. I do scroll work, have built some furniture, installed moldings, made frames, etc. Made this barn for my grandaughter for Christmas. It really helps that I have a teacher readily available...

This message was edited Mar 13, 2006 8:44 AM

Thumbnail by bseddon

bseddon
Pittsfield,, MA
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2006
12:49 PM

Post #2109227

Here's another picture of the barn. Nailed my finger with the nail gun at one point because I did things a little out of order...but a lesson learned. The barn is in 3 pieces for ease of moving. Also the roof on the 2 end pieces are hinged.

Thumbnail by bseddon

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2006
5:47 PM

Post #2114632

Such marvelous work. Intarsia is fascinating to me and the work you are doing is very nice. Steve and I both work in wood, building decks, potting tables, trellis and those types of things. Nothing quite as exquisite as the bowls, they are striking. This is an example of some of the wood works of art that we sell locally.

Thumbnail by haighr

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2006
10:36 PM

Post #2138971

Everything looks so wonderful. THere is such a talented group here! I just have to participate vicariously though my DH. He is the woodworker in the family. Although I take full credit for getting him started.. after all..was it not I who first walked up and dumped a load of boards into his lap and said. "Make me a medicine chest"! ?
From there he went on to do several projects including making all the kitchen cabinets in our old house from ash wood.. just lovely. I really miss the pantry..sigh
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #2140370

Making cabinets, whew we wouldn't know where to begin. Would love to see a pic jazz.
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2006
6:53 PM

Post #2140589

hmm.. well I am friends with the people who bought our house.. maybe they would let me come over and take some photos. At the time I was finishing up my nursing degree and so I didn't take any pics.. shame on me!
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2006
3:56 PM

Post #2184291

hiya all,

Boy there really are some clever and wonderful projects shown here, hope to see more.

With maggiemoo coming here this summer, we're going to put her in front of the lathe and 'turn' (no pun intended) her loose...woohoo!

Right now I'm preparing wood for a rather complex glue up that will eventually become an arch over the gate I made that leads into our back garden.

Here's a pic of the gate,

hope all are well,
don
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2006
4:02 PM

Post #2184304

oops, forgot the pic

Thumbnail by drdon

maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2006
11:58 PM

Post #2185431

Lol, Don. I'll bring the Dramamine, for sure!
ezylivin
Imperial Beach, CA

July 15, 2006
3:14 PM

Post #2508560

Hi everyone, I am pretty new to this site but I have already met some of you at the latest SoCal RU. I am starting to get into woodworking a little bit. I have only actually completed a few small projects with a dremmel and I am expirimenting with different stains. All of the projects I have looked at so far in these threads truley inspire me. All of you are very skilled and I hope to be right there with ya someday. This is a great resource and I am sure I will be asking ALOT of questions. Here is a pic of the second sign I made. Keep up the great work...

Thumbnail by ezylivin

kanita
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 17, 2006
11:21 PM

Post #2517019

Wow! I just found this section on DG...lol. Didn't even realize it was here. Dr. Don, I wish I knew you were I wood turner, I can only imagine what your workshop looks like.

Everyones work looks absolutely awesome.

kanita
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2006
2:38 AM

Post #2517742

Kanita, you are so right! Everyone's work is awesome! My dad works with wood and I'm always in awe of his work.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2006
2:04 PM

Post #2518907

Ezylivin, love that sign. My husband just got a dremmel. I've been looking at trying that thing a bit myself. After seeing what you have done it inspires me even more. Thanks! Another obsession to get into!
Gay Lynn
ezylivin
Imperial Beach, CA

July 18, 2006
5:30 PM

Post #2519700

The world of the Dremmel is very fun...Just make sure you don't get to caught up...you may never leave your garage again!
NJBGardener
Riverside, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2006
2:32 AM

Post #2812209

Hi all, I too am a woodworker. And I love all the pictures here. Drdon you do beautiful work. That is what I call fantastic turning. And that I don't think I will even try to attempt. I wouldn't call myself novice as I have made quite a few things. My dad asked me why I got into woodworking. But I didn't want to say "Duh dad, You build cabinets." lol He has been a cabinet maker most of his life so I grew up around the cabinet shop making little stuff. But NOW I have my own shop. My dad has made sure that I have all the tools I need. Let me start out by telling you that I taught myself how to use the scroll saw and that is where it all began. I now have a table saw, band saw, dad bought me a Bosh jig saw, mitre machine, drill press, sanders, drills and everything else. Need I say more. lol But anyway, I wanted to show you a project my dad and I built. I wanted a storage shed and so we built it and I couldn't leave it at that so here is what it turned out to be.
I'm glad to see so many people out there that loves woodworking. At least I know everything isn't made of plastic or particle board.
Have a great day,
Norma

Thumbnail by NJBGardener

NJBGardener
Riverside, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2006
2:34 AM

Post #2812212

And here it is at a different angel.

Thumbnail by NJBGardener

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2006
3:03 AM

Post #2812296

Oh Norma. That is very cool and exactly what I have in mind when I say I want a potting shed. I want a little place to sit down and rest and look at all I have done. Thanks for sharing
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2006
3:36 AM

Post #2812404

NJB, plastic chairs? PLASTIC CHAIRS??? I just saw your thread about those beautiful Adirondack chairs, and this is what you have to sit on? LOL That's not right. I love the fascia and that the window trim isn't mitered, it always looks weird to me mitered, especially outdoors. The oversized armrests on your chairs are great, you could probably support a laptop or a plate of food on them, very practical.
What kind of trees are they?
Mike
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2006
4:27 AM

Post #2812525

That is a great shed. Cool design and construction. Congratulations.
goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

October 13, 2006
11:55 AM

Post #2812886

Norma, what a wonderful shed! It's so pretty I would end up using it for something besides a shed. And it's extra special because you and your Dad did it together!
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2006
7:31 PM

Post #2814277

Ohh.. now there's a thought.If I did one like that the kidlet would be all over it.. "Mommy..its a playhouse!!"
NJBGardener
Riverside, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2006
8:32 PM

Post #2817209

Claypa, I am so sorry to have left those darn plastic chairs on the porch. And yes, I am hanging my head. I am ashamed. Now you've given me another project. lol Now I have to build some chairs. And I think those adirondak chairs would be too big for that porch and the answer to your question, I think the arm of the chair would hold a dinner plate but I don't know about the lap top. The arm is 71/2 wide.

Norma
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2006
12:46 PM

Post #2821445

That is adorable, now we all want one!
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2006
1:37 PM

Post #2821587

Hi all! Love your work with the exotic woods drdon! When I saw how many scroll sawyers were here I couldn't resist joining in. I've done a variety of things, mainly segmentation and craftst type stuff (painted seasonal stuff). I like to design my own stuff although I haven't done anything in a short while as I focus on our home. I had quite a trip down memory lane going through projects to show, funny the stuff you forget LOL

This may look familiar to any of you pattern magazine readers. It's in a scroll saw magazine currently on the stands. I designed and made this several years ago LOL but I was a little slow out of the starting gate you might say in getting things to a publisher.

Thumbnail by azreno

azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2006
1:38 PM

Post #2821590

For all you audio fans...this is the rockford fosgate dog. My DH used to work there, having always been an audio nut it was an appropriate place for him LOL so I made this for him.

Thumbnail by azreno

azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2006
1:39 PM

Post #2821595

Who doesn't love a clownfish!

Thumbnail by azreno

azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2006
1:42 PM

Post #2821605

And one more (if I haven't bored you already!) a moorish idol...we used to be really into fish LOL

Loved seeing everyone's pics! Let's see some more recent ones, too- I know this is an older thread. We sure could use more traffic here.

Lynn

Thumbnail by azreno

balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2006
2:17 PM

Post #2821715

Azreno, love your intarsia. Beautiful way of combing woods. Any more pics ?
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2006
2:46 PM

Post #2821802

Thanks! Mine are actually all segmentation though...I never had the patience for full blown intarsia unfortunately. Segmentation is cut from a single piece of wood then stained.

Here's a sword I designed.

Thumbnail by azreno

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2006
7:49 PM

Post #2822692

Lynn...I didn't know you could do all this! Great work

P. S. Easylivin is my Granddaughter, Amy...she has her Halloween stuff on this forum...check it out...She is in the Navy during the day...LOL

Jo
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2006
7:58 PM

Post #2822716

Thanks Jo! I do tend to keep this under wraps :-) Ezylivin is your granddaughter?! I have been checking out her halloween stuff- I can't wait to see the finished scene, what a lot of work that went into all that!

Amy... Hint, hint...pics of the finished scene.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2006
11:34 AM

Post #2824434

Lynn, that is beautiful work. We find working in wood to be very challenging ourselves but rewarding when we see a great piece come together. LOL at the time you spend doing this, ourselves may start a piece and the next thing you know another year has gone by before we are back in the shop to finish it!
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2006
11:52 AM

Post #2824455

Well, we all can't be the same...that's what makes the world go around! We all have our passions :-)
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2006
5:23 PM

Post #2825461

LOL at myself, hope you didn't misinterpret what I meant in my post azreno. I was referring to Steve and myself, starting one of our wood projects and then then next thing we know months have passed before we get back at it. I was just jesting at the amount of time we sometimes spend creating one piece.
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2006
6:25 PM

Post #2825660

No misinterpretation :-) I'm certain there are other kinds of projects that you would not put down til finished, that's what I meant about us all having different passions and being different. There are projects I enjoy but they take me forever to finish, then are projects I really love and I finish them quickly...then there are things I hate (plumbing and irrigation) and it seems like they never get done LOL Sadly DH hates the same things I do...there are a few projects at a stand still at the moment LOL Oh well :-)
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2006
11:32 AM

Post #2827963

That happens too the same dislikes. You make a good point, if it is a wood work piece that I am really wanting to see the final result then I stick with it, but if I loose interest that is a different story. One piece that we did I had to paint a mouth on the piece and for the life of me I could not get that to come out the way I wanted, something so simple turned into such difficulty. I left it alone I know for 3-4 months and than one day out of the clear blue just walked in the shop and painted it and that was that perfect to my eye? Go figure.
LOL about the not put down, I crochet and have actually had my fingers bleed and covered in bandaids to finish a piece working with the threads, that was a while ago, younger and even dumber, but I got it done!
Speaking of those at a standstill, we have one piece we brought back from the shop as it hadn't sold, we added to it and it looks great, we haven't returned it to the shop since and that was back in June!
Candee
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2006
12:56 PM

Post #2828113

Funny how everything has it's time isn't? 3-4 mos. for a mouth, that poor little project LOL I find that when I wait to do something until I really feel like it I do such a better job and enjoy it so much more. I wish everything could be done like that LOL
White_Hydrangea
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2006
4:06 AM

Post #2830644

I'm not a woodworker.

Yet.

But now that I have my own house--with garage and basement--that is definitely something I want to do. It would be a good winter hobby for when the garden is sleeping. I've put together some simple bookcases and done some painting, but I want to start out with proper tools. I'd start small. Boxes, chests, more bookcases. Eventually I'd like to do some cabinet making, musical instruments, and miniature houses. It would be cool to actually have my own house in miniature.

Some really awesome stuff here. I have a long road to walk to get anywhere close.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2006
8:46 PM

Post #2840632

Worth the walk hydrangea, just make sure you enjoy and don't pressurize yourself.
So right areno, always worth the wait and the results are much better most times.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2006
3:29 AM

Post #2969681

For anyone who hasn't seen it on other threads, heres my new cabinet shop.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2006
3:31 AM

Post #2969688

Also finished up our new kitchen addition this summer.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2006
3:33 AM

Post #2969691

Another angle.
Edited, someone had a door off to fix a hinge!

This message was edited Dec 4, 2006 10:34 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2006
3:36 AM

Post #2969707

Outside view. All outside trim is cedar painted white to keep with the original trim on the house. Vinyl siding.
The kitchen is on the left.
Edit; I built the bay window from scratch with $85.00 each vinyl windows.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2006 10:38 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2006
3:39 AM

Post #2969716

Inside of the bay window.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2006
3:41 AM

Post #2969722

An entertainment center for a customer. Knotty Pine wood.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2006
11:01 AM

Post #2970127

Hey Bernie! They all look great.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2006
11:05 AM

Post #2970134

Looks like very nice additional kitchen space. Must have been handly for the holiday.
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2006
1:15 PM

Post #2970422

CG, You do wonderful work. I really like the entertainment center. My DH would love to have your cabinet shop

Some time ago back when this thread started, I had mentioned the cabinets that he made for our kitchen. I didn't have any pictures but was friends with the people who bought our house so hoped to get some. After much procrastination, I ran into her the other day and she said she had taken the pictures for me and would email them. Yay... I do wish I had taken them when we put them up but here they are with adnauseum descriptions

Quick background. DH never had any formal woodworking training. Not even Woodshop. His first finished woodworking project happened when I walked in and dumped a load of wood on his lap and said "Make me a medicine chest" (by finished I mean, routing, sanding and sealing.. he had made plenty of 'rough" projects for storage etc) This was his second finished project. We were able to get a load of ash by adding on to a contractor friends order. DH made all the plans for building (with my invaluable input..afterall..it WAS my kitchen) final pre-comment. The cabinets were built about 12 years ago. We moved from this house about 5 years ago.. I miss my cabinets...

OK..first pic The pantry.. Floor to ceiling, 2 feet wide by 30 inches deep. first one he made and he said he overbuilt it a bit.. suggested that if there was a tornado we should get into this vs the basement.

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2006
1:16 PM

Post #2970424

Top of Pantry.. Can you see the panel doors?

Edited to say.. I accidently loaded the larger file for this one.. if you are on dialup I would pass clicking on this one.. sorry

This message was edited Dec 5, 2006 9:17 AM

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2006
1:19 PM

Post #2970429

OK.. He made drawers vs shelves in the pantry and here is one pulled out a bit. You can see the dovetailing and the back of the door panels. I can't show DH these pictures or he would want to go pull all the doors, sand the finish to get rid of the drawer scuffs and refinish.. then probably give them a lesson on making sure the doors were open before opening the drawers! lol..

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2006
1:21 PM

Post #2970436

Another shot of the upper drawers this time. You can see some of the supports he put in for the drawers. He used ash for the frame of the drawers but for the bottoms he used a cabinet grade ply

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2006
1:21 PM

Post #2970438

Nice.
Did he make the doors or buy them ?
I've been terrible about taking pictures, always forget the camera or the batteries are dead.
This job we built new doors & drawers. Though part was matching stain color. Cabinets were new in 1969!
Bernie

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2006
1:23 PM

Post #2970445

The rest of that wall. Short cabinets over the fridge and the upper and lower cabinets beside the fridge. Glass in both the upper cabinets. The lower cabinets have the drawers instead of shelves again.

Edited to say that it is the door that is out of plumb not the cabinets. We meant to camoflauge that somehow but the new owners didn't care

This message was edited Dec 5, 2006 9:39 AM

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2006
1:25 PM

Post #2970451

THe Sink Wall.. The lower cabinet has a nice pull out towel rack and the drawer fronts flip forward and have storage. The two shelves above were for my cookbooks. Easy access..

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2006
1:26 PM

Post #2970455

Stove wall.. (are you getting the feel of my old tiny tiny kitchen?) He made this cabinet with drawers in the main part..

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2006
1:27 PM

Post #2970458

And a little cabinet to the side for my cookie sheets..

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2006
1:28 PM

Post #2970462

decided to show one more pic of the glass upper cabinets

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2006
1:28 PM

Post #2970465

ok I lied.. one more picture of the drawers underneath.. loved those drawers!!

This message was edited Dec 5, 2006 9:29 AM

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2006
1:36 PM

Post #2970479

Bernie..Thanks.. He made the doors, the drawers and everything else.. He used a bit of cabinet grade ply for the visible side of the pantry and for the drawer bottoms and shelves. For the rest of the cabinets he biscuit-joined and glued the boards together. I wish I had gotten over to take the pictures because I would have gotten some more of the details. But you snooze you lose!

I wanted to ask if your main work is the cabinet building but I suspect that is a dumb question. I have wanted to find somewhere for DH to work with an experienced craftsman to pick up some of those tips and techniques rather than having to work it all out himself.. (I never went outside when he was working.. too scary..lol) Seriously, he really enjoyed doing it and got major satisfaction out of it.. and I was very very proud of him

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2006
5:06 PM

Post #2971019

Good work!
Yes we are trying to get it to be the main part of our business. We always get some other things to go along with it. Like moving a wall or new walls, etc.
Hard to convince people to buy custom built cabinets with the big boxes selling their junk.
They set up these nice looking displays & have their computers & then get all this walk by traffic. People think they are saving money, but that is never the case. Even in the big box stores, start adding on features, & poof, there goes the low price.
A customer wanted spindle rail along the top edge f their cabinets. I could buy it for $17.00 for a 6 foot piece unfinished. So for comparison, I went over to the cabinet counter to see what they were finished. Would you believe $88.00 for 8 foot piece! Pull out shelves on bottom cabinets are very expensive. (Like you show in the last picture.)
Carry on,
Bernie
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2006
5:21 PM

Post #2971062

So..comparatively a $65 fee for stain, finish and profit. hmmmmm.. Actually, looking at the differences in price (and quality) is what first made me dump wood in the DH's lap. A wooden, mirrored medicine chest cost a minimum of $250 at that time. and most of it was presswood. We had a mirror and the wood I bought cost about $20 if that. And the finished product was much much better.
I am sure that to get custom solid wood kitchen cabinets for that little kitchen would have been beyond our budget. Unfortunately, I am now totally spoiled and though our new house has cherry cabinets and some lower drawers instead of shelves. I find myself looking at them critically all the time.. Humph.. those drawers aren't very well made. Look.they used pressboard for the side here. etc etc.. I would take those old ones back in a heartbeat. I actually had more cabinet room with my pantry, 7 feet of lower cabinet space (not counting the sink cabinet) and four foot of upper tall cabinet plus the little cabinet over the fridge than I do in the new house with a kitchen over twice the size. I especially miss that pantry :(
babygirlla
Greenwell Springs, LA

March 18, 2007
9:29 AM

Post #3293940

I JUST SUBSCRIBED, IT NEW TO ME. I HAVE LOOKED AT SOME GOOD WORK IN THE LAST COUPLE OF HOURS. I AM THE CANE MAKER OF ONE OF A KIND IN THE WORLD, GROWN BY NATURE AND PERFECTED
IN MY SHOP. LATER THERE WILL BE PICTURES OF THE CANE'S AND WALKING STICKS OF WHICH I COMPLTE.

I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR SOMEONE THAT KNOWS AND MAY KNOW OF A SUPPLIER OF A WOOD CALLED DIAMOND MAPLE, I AM NORE INTRESTED IN THE LIMBS AND SMALL DIA. TRUNK GROWTH RATHER THAN PLANKS. I WOULD APPERICATE ANY INFORMATION THAT WOULD HELP ME LOCATE A SUPPLIER.

PICTURES WILL SOON FOLLOW ON THE CANES AND WALKING STICKS
I WOULD APPERICATE ANY COMMENTS YOU MAY HAVE.
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2007
9:40 AM

Post #3293973

welcome babygirlla!

nice to meet you and I'm sure we'll all enjoy pics of your work.

best,
don
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2007
3:37 PM

Post #3295011

Looking forward to seeing your work.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 21, 2007
10:36 PM

Post #3307211

Seems like everyone we build cabinets for also needs a new counter top. I do not like counter top work, but---.
This is our latest. Almost had it done when the router took a bite out of the back splash. We had some formica left over, so back to the shop & a 3 hour setback we were back to finish the job.
Bernie

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 21, 2007
10:38 PM

Post #3307216

Yes, we built all the cabinets, too.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 21, 2007
10:39 PM

Post #3307220

Inside of pantry.

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2007
8:43 AM

Post #3307943

You do beautiful work, Bernie. Love that pantry! I have been trying to figure out how to get one here.
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2007
10:55 PM

Post #3324052

Whoa!!!!

CG!!!...you guy's are amazing!

Nice work, nice work indeed!

Some people's talent just never ceases...you are one of those folks for sure!

hugs,
don

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2007
11:10 PM

Post #3324160

Jazzpunkin,
Coming down that way in May, I could stick one in my van.

I got an order this week for a big showcase cabinet. 15 feet long & 7 feet tall. It will have 16 glass doors.

We are working on another kitchen right now. Cabinets got stained & varnished tonight. Drawers will go together tomorrow, then finish up the doors.
We are making the countertop, too.
Bernie
A smaller pantry.

drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2007
11:23 PM

Post #3324200

Jazz,

Just think how many jars of beluga caviar and cases of vintage champagne you could store in one of those! ...I am...

CG, you've really got a talent for spatial design, it's really a treat to share your creations albiet vicariously, it's still a thrill!

best,
don

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM
Free Woodwork Plan Sites: NatureWalker 12 Feb 24, 2008 1:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America