Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 17, Views: 164
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2006
2:03 PM

Post #1966028

Welcome to a new forum where you can share your ideas for maintaining and repairing your home!
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2006
1:49 AM

Post #1968110

Thanks - this is going to be great!
Davart
Farmington, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2006
11:31 PM

Post #1997972

Well let get this topic started. Anybody want to help me gut my bathroom and redo it? LOL
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2006
1:42 PM

Post #2001542

Wow - that idea gives me a headache just thinking about it! There is so much involved you should really start a separate thread under this forum - maybe label it something like "Bathroom Redo" - and if possible show a "before" picture. Are you planning to do the work yourself? I had a plumber in several weeks ago to replace the toilet tank innards in both bathrooms and the bill was over $700. Yuska

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2006
1:48 PM

Post #2001551

Davart, you might want to post your project in the Construction Zone forum: http://davesgarden.com/place/f/construction/all/ - it's geared toward major remodeling jobs, rather than minor home repairs ;o)
Davart
Farmington, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2006
12:19 AM

Post #2027275

It was a joke people ... I remodel/gut/re-do/ house for a living. I just wanted to get the forum going. So for me it's not a project it's a job ... LOL it's day in day out.

Dave
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2006
1:22 AM

Post #2027426

Gee, I thought something was going on here.
I'm an interior painter, Plain or Faux.
Maybe we could turn this into "Ask a Trades Person" forum.
Andy P
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2006
10:37 PM

Post #2029354

Just recently painted 3 rooms: one cranberry; one light gold; one medium blue. The cranberry room has all white woodwork for contrast. The gold is interesting when matching a wood blind, comforter, and woodwork. The blue is meant to give a section of the living/dining room an individual character.

One thing I did learn is color livens up pictures. In the living room the walls were linen and the picture matting the same. This made for a drab picture. Now with a blue, the pictures really stand out.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2006
1:28 AM

Post #2110887

I was a home remodeler for over 20 years.
Asthma forced me to quit
Now im studying Network administration.
My Master skills were plastering, drywall hanging and finishing, painting and carpentry.
I do all my own work, electric and plumbing included.
$700.- to replace toilet hardware? e-gads! Were they gold plated parts?
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2006
12:37 AM

Post #2113206

I like the idea of ask a tradesperson forum! I always need advice from experts. :-)
greenlawn
Albany, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #3477169

wow.20 years!my hats off to you. whatever they paid you for the drywalling was worth it and then some. we remodeled our kitchen last year and because of that i detest drywall. i told my husband that whatever drywallers (dont know if thats the correct name) charge they are soooo worth it. i will never ever ever try drywalling again. love to set tile though.
kurious
Texas City, TX

August 8, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6920600

I am in the market for a storm door, any advise anyone can give me would be a great help.

Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6920808

Is this for the front, back or kitchen door?
How much glass and ventilation are you looking for?
Do you have a pet that would enjoy an easy look out with 'full view' glass?
I can't help you with quality but consider the intended use.
Andy P
kurious
Texas City, TX

August 10, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6928039

HI Sarahskeeper:

This would be a back door/kitchen door. I'm trying to get more light into the room along with ventilation, not sure if i want a full view, since i would have to take the glass out, which can be kinda heavy. Looked at a Larson, which had a screen that rolls to the top have to go back and check to see how they handle the glass part. On the bottom it has fixed glass and a panel. Not sure to go with vinyl, or a new finish they call DuraTech (think thats the name).

I do have dogs, but i don't think i want a pet door. On the Larson Door looks like the glass extends far enough down so they would be able to look out.

Thanks for your reply and help

Monica
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6931150

OK, I have an aluminum, full view as the front/living room storm. The dog loves it, I leave the glass in all the time. This door faces south, very nice on sunny winter days. I don't need it for ventilation, just light. The interior door is steel with a light faux finish wood grain. A dark door behind lots of glass can get hot enough to warp the plastic window frame.
My kitchen has a cheap wood/screen door, no glass.
This is Sarah in winter.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Click the image for an enlarged view.

flowers_delight
Leicester, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #7099295

Hi all!!! sure wish I had found you when all my stuff was going on. Roof, toilets, painting, cedar beam, wood floors,new windows and new tub whew plus porches. Now it seems there is no insulation in walls to speak of GREEEEAT. Turn key house has become an overhaul. Keep the ideas coming and rest assured I'll be hollering at ya in the future GB
MatthewWilliam
Sydney
Australia

June 13, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8627059

We all know that home improvement plans are always more expensive as the days go by. It is not practical to buy a plan you can afford. If this is the case, you can make to discuss a plan on your own and it with the experts. Internet is in your brainstorming on plan to increase the House a great source of information, necessary.
orlandoclean
Orlando, FL

July 14, 2011
1:42 AM

Post #8691337

Don't forget to repair and maintain the beauty of your FLOORS!..
Maintenance of your tile and grout should include using a rinse-free neutral cleaner, so routine grout cleaning will not leave a residue on the tile and grout. Travertine cleaning, polishing Orlando|Longwood and “Brand New Looking Grout.”. Lets bring life in our floors...

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 4:45 AM

This message was edited Jul 14, 2011 4:48 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM
Repair Big Screen TV Gymgirl 35 Aug 3, 2011 1:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America