Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beekeeping: Welcome!

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 6, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2006
2:07 PM

Post #1966044

Here's a new forum dedicated to beekeeping!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2006
12:47 AM

Post #1981712

Thank you Terry, I have been interested getting started in this endevour for some time now. Dyson
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2006
12:56 AM

Post #2121955

I'm intrigued with bees and all they do. I don't want to raise them but sure love to here from those who do. I like to here about splitting the hives creating new ones. I have a friend who has hives and gathers honey.

cuckoo

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2006
12:47 AM

Post #2131700

I love bees. I'll enjoy reading everyone's posts because I don't have any hives either. Just an interest.
bmp
Spring Hill, FL

March 23, 2006
1:26 AM

Post #2131786

Well, I can tell a Bee story. Last year my husband and I hived 2 colonies. We spent a lot of time getting everything just right. It was really fun working with them-they were quite gentle bees, and their behavior was predictable. We got them in May, and in July we got just a taste of honey. But then a bear came and tore up one of the hives. We saved a lot of the bees and put the hive back together. Then we put a up a makeshift noise barrier to startle the bear. The barrier was cute in a rustic sort of way, but it didn't bother the bear. He came back two more times; we tried salvaging the colonies, but after the third assault what was left of them swarmed.
We are trying again this year. Three colonies to arrive in May. Wish us luck!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2006
2:09 AM

Post #2131883

Good luck. Bet Mr. bear has a good memory tho. Bee careful! :)
DrGreendigit
Sinks Grove, WV

March 29, 2006
10:39 PM

Post #2148591

With Urban sprawl, the bears are too familiar to human tricks and sounds, even shotguns, to be scared. They are NOT looking for honey, like Winnie the Pooh. They are after a Protein snack, your young larve and pupa comb. They know when the time is right by the odor coming from the hives.

The only way to deter the bears is with electricity, and I don't mean the sissy cattle kind. High tensil wire on concreted posts from ground to 6 feet; every 6 inches with every other strand barbed wire, lit up with house current. They will climb a low fence with low current. Beekeeping is serious business. The cost of equipment and proper medication can break you. You don't want wildlife taking you to the poor house. Doc

This message was edited Mar 30, 2006 8:19 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America