AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2006
2:16 PM

Post #1966073

Welcome to this new forum just for those who enjoy making soap and candles!
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2006
10:03 PM

Post #1967553

Wow I was thinking the other day I needed to start making candles again. I used to make them when the kids where small. We loved trying to find odd things to use as molds. Anybody around that makes the? I know we have several members that make soap.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2006
2:30 AM

Post #1968247

Just bought a candles craft book the other day. I have been thinking about trying my hand. Hope others come here to give advice and encouragement.
Woofens
Dillonvale, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2006
4:25 AM

Post #1968496

me too haven't bought anything yet, but have been looking around alot, I want to learn how
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2006
1:08 AM

Post #1972790

I remember searching for something to use as a mold for a tall candle...then it hit me...a Pringles can!! Worked great. Jo
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2006
2:49 AM

Post #1973023

Jo that was one of our favorites. Leave the ruffled liner in there makes a beautiful one.
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2006
2:37 PM

Post #1973473

The tall Arizonea ice tea cans would probably work well.
I haven't made candles in years but was thinking of taking it up again.
Any one have any recommendation for reasonable online suppliers?
Jan...
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2006
2:49 PM

Post #1973500

Hi people,

I can recommend the following on-line sources for candle and soap making supplies:
http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/
http://www.onestopcandle.com/

I would NOT recommend Yaley-----their fragrances are quite good, but IMO their customer service stinks. (Ooooh, sorry. I hate puns but couldn't seem to avoid that one.)
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2006
10:13 PM

Post #1974331

I've always wanted to try candles too, but it just hasn't come to the top of the list yet. It will one day, if I live long enough.
veeja3
Renton, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2006
3:28 AM

Post #1994645

I just started, I am using plastic pop bottles, the chubby propel are my favorite so far, any more ideas?When I cut the plastic off I end up with a line on the candle. I bought wax at michaels 25.00 a sheet, then I melted down old candles that had not burned all the way down. made 16 so far. it's fun
IsThisHeaven
Fenton, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2006
6:20 PM

Post #2026680

I make votive candles with dixie cups. I put the wick on a tab and hot glue it to the bottom of the cup. After I do my first pour, I leave enough wax to heat up to top it off. I heat all my wax up in a coffee can that I bend at the top, to make an easier pouring lip.
The can I put in a pan of water, (double boiler style) wax should never be melted directly with heat. If wax ever smokes, your close to a fire. After the second pour has hardened, I just rip away the cups. There are 2 sizes of dixie cups, I use the smaller one, that way the candels will fit in smaller votive cups. Easy clean up... just throw away the can when your done.
dove_14204
Buffalo, NY

April 25, 2006
10:35 PM

Post #2220717

Really good sources for learning to make candles and gettiong reasonably priced supplies are: the candle cauldron forum, Bittercreek north candle supply, already mentioned natures garden, and Candle and supply.

I am a soy candle maker. I make container candles, votives, and wax melts.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 26, 2006
12:03 PM

Post #2222525

Hello Everyone - Sounds as if we are all in the same boat. We all have been putting it off. I am not sure if prime gardening time is the best time for us to begin or not. haha

Anyway, I too want to learn to make candles. I have been saving candle stubs for years. I have the bag of them in my clothes closet and it smells so sweet when I open the door.

Anyways...I came to this forum earlier this week and began a conversation with "waxedout." She is new here. When she emailed back she said that she is currently in the hospital on bed rest getting ready to deliver a baby girl soon.

I didn't ask how long before baby was to be born though.
I answered her reply yesterday and haven't heard back, so I am thinking that there might be a possibility of that baby making its arrival yesterday.

In her initial post to the forum, she states that she used to be into candle making for profit. She answered a question that I had about a particular process and she was able to caution me about the danger of doing something one way versus doing it another way. I was impressed and came away with knowledge that I didn't have before.

Some of you others may benefit from speaking with her here. I would like to see the activity on this board increase. All of you sound like fun folks.

My two cents. Have a great day everyone.

Ruby
waxedout
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2006
1:27 AM

Post #2243244

Hey Ruby!

Could you believe I had a c-section and had my baby 3 hours after my last post to you? :) All is well...My Sofie Maria arrived in perfect condition.

Since I will most likely not return to my candlemaking workshop for quite some time, I look forward to keeping up with my hobby here, when my baby will let me!

Anyone also interested in the technical side of candlemaking can look up my book Candlemaking for Fun & Profit http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761520406 -- I put everything I know about all the complexities of scent, temperature, additives, etc. into it.

To those who want to try candlemaking for the first time...if you first use improvised materials such as recycled wax, dixie cups, milk cartons, etc. please don't be discouraged with your newbie results. Using these things are more difficult, IMO than using real hobby materials. The easiest candles to make for a beginner are those made from a simple metal mold (pillar, square, pyramid, etc.) that you can buy from one of the many hobby suppliers online, or even your local craft store such as Michael's.

Good luck to all,
Michelle
emj_aus
queensland
Australia

August 21, 2007
9:24 AM

Post #3880991

ok id love to make some candles .. but no nothing ...NOTHING :P

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 9 Mar 13, 2014 10:45 PM
Butter for Hands and Body - really bad dry skin tucker303 17 Jan 11, 2008 3:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America