Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Fragrant Gardening: Your most fragrant plants by ranking

Communities > Forums > Fragrant Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Fragrant GardeningReplies: 201, Views: 2,934
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2006
8:02 PM

Post #1967245

I would love to hear your favorites! Im new so my list is short but you can be sure its growing by the day!
My #1 Is Tea olive it is by far the most yummy smelling plant Ive grown yet.
Jasmines
Stephanotis
Tuberose
Murraya paniculata
Four O'clocks
Roses
Sweet Acacia
Meyer Lemon
Ginger
Pandora Vine
I do have others but they havnt bloomed so I can't rank them yet. :(

What are your Favorites and where do they place?
violabird
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2006
11:31 PM

Post #1967752

Gee, this is tough! I may have to play with this list a bit.

Gingers as #1!
Tea Olive
Banana Shrub (M. Skinneria)
Black Locust Tree
Winter Honeysuckle
My Wisteria
Lily 'Casablanca'
Brugs (especially Star Dancer, Maya & Island Girl and...)
Japanese Pittosporum (Japanese Mock Orange)
Gardenias
Daphne (would be higher on the list if it was bigger)
Honeysuckles
Jasmines

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot! I'll be back ;)

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

January 11, 2006
12:00 AM

Post #1967840

What is a tea olive? Is it sweet olive?

My most favorite #1 scent is hyacinth and my second is Vanilla Orchid
White butterfly ginger
Jasmine Molle(strong scent, but not overpowering)
Jasmine Maid of Orleans, blooms almost year round here
Tuberose(the single ones, not the double)
Papaya (love the flowers, can't stand the taste of the fruit)
Brugmansia Island Girl
Honeysuckle Pink Lemonade(has a soft gardenia scent)
Confederate Jasmine
Lilacs(too hot for these here)
Casa Blanca Lilies(wish they grew here)
Night blooming jasmine as long as it is not under my nose!
Gardenias
I love citrus flowers, we are surrounded by citrus groves and when they are flowering it smells heavenly for miles around!
I know there are more flowers that I love to smell, I just can't think of them right now.

Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2006
12:10 AM

Post #1967870

Osmanthus fragrans, Tea olive or Sweet Oilve they are the same. I agree with the Night blooming Jasmine! Its wonderful about one or two yards over but not in mine.

hag49
China Spring, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2006
1:57 AM

Post #1968136

right now I'm loving my paperwhites and hyacnths. In dec. I loved my osmanthus fragrans. Every month there's a fav. fragrance to admire. My policy is "If it doesn't tantilize my senses, out it goes".. Our lives are too short to be living w/dull dreary plants that don't scream out at our souls. My garden is a wonderful bottle of perfume. I'm shooting for 800 roses around my home, then I'll truly be in heaven. I have fragrant plants everywhere you stick your nose. I love them all. Pretty is nice, but ohhhh, that fragrance gets me every time.
Hilary
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2006
4:29 AM

Post #1968505

Can't put mine in any particular order of preference b/c it changes- LOL!

Some of my faves are:
Zephy Drouhin rose
Mr Lincoln rose
OF Vining petunia
4 o'clocks
Stargazer lily
Lemon daylily
tuberose
moonflower
Dame's Rocket
Carolina allspice/sweetshrub
snowball viburnum
clethra/sweet pepper bush
rose-scented geranium
marigold foliage
cedar needles
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2006
5:19 AM

Post #1968566

grrr... zone envy!
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2006
5:24 AM

Post #1968571

Moby,
I envy you too! I LOVE conifers- the types I call 'alpine trees'. You can grow those- I can't. I have tons of red cedars but no spruce, firs, etc... Thank goodness I love cedars or I'd be sheer outta luck!
daisyruffles
Albany, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2006
6:38 AM

Post #1968603

Moby,
I totally agree! Why should the south get all the good smells, lol.

I am listing as far as the most, longest smell. There are a lot of flowers/foliage that smell but I like them to smell while walking around my gardens.
So...

Star Jasmine
Honeysuckles-Halls & Goldflame
Veterans Honor rose
Daphne Ordora (if/when it blooms)
Sweet Peas
Lilacs-Miss Kim

Of course, these are the ones I have so far, but... need more... craving more...

Carol
mattadeus
London
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2006
11:39 AM

Post #1968734

Here are my favourites. I really love the scent of D odora so i guess thatwould have to be my #1; but it's really difficult to place the others, so they aren't in any kind of order rating. I just especially enjoy these.

Daphne odora #1
Daphne bholua cultivars
Brugmansia suaveolens and B.aurea and many cultivars
Mandevilla laxa
Jasminum sambac
Mitriostigma axillare
Gardenia cultivars
Aglaia odorata
Hoya macgillivrayi, H. sp. Chiang Mai and many others
Michelia champaca, M. alba, M figo
Rosa banksiae alba (smells of sweet violets)
Rosa 'Arthur Bell'
Osmanthus fragrans
Rhododendron nuttallii
Rhododendron 'Fragrantissimum'
Rhododendron lindleyi and many others
Vireya Rhododendron konori
Vireya Rhododendron dianthosmum
Vireya Rhododendron superbum
Pamianthe peruvianum
Hyacinthus cultivars
Lilium regale
Lilium candidum
Lonicera x americana
Magnolia grandiflora
Magnolia x wieseneri
Erysimum varieties -wallflowers
Epiphyllum oxypetallum and E. crenatum
Selenicereus grandiflorus
Buddleja asiatica
Clerodendron fragrans
Chimonanthus praecox
Murraya paniculata
Rhynchostylis gigantea (orchid)
Neofineta falcata (orchid)
Brassavola nodosa (orchid)
Telosma cordata
Bouvardia longiflora
Brunfelsia americana
Acacia retinodes
Hymenosporum flavum

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

January 11, 2006
11:49 AM

Post #1968744

I completely forgot about brunfelsia americana! I have two pots of this beside a bench in the garden.
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2006
8:12 PM

Post #1969802

Matt,
I must confess I am impressed with your list... and have no idea what a lot of them are, sadly. Why is it you "across the ponders" have the most exotic and beautiful sounding plant names? LOL!

But seriously thanks for the list as I am always looking for something new to try. I'm off to research. Hope some of this is avail here in the states.
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2006
9:12 PM

Post #1969972

You have no idea what I would give to grow Gardenia, Stephanotis and Jasmine. Maybe someday when I have a greenhouse...

But for now, the favorites that I grow are ~

Oriental lilies, have many varieties, all are wonderful
Lilacs
Lily Of The Valley
Basil "Dark Opal"
Lavender "Munsted"
Datura(s)
Sweet grass, Hierochloe odorata
(not recommended; quite homely and very invasive if not contained)
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2006
9:17 PM

Post #1969988

Moby,
LOL!Hope this makes you feel better: I can't grow gardenia either- seems I'm just a wee bit too far North. I can't grow *most* lavender or lilacs- too hot here. BTW, I have read that gardenias do quite well as houseplants- ever tried it?
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2006
9:53 PM

Post #1970061

No, but have tried jasmine. Too dry in the house (I don't have a humidifier) and honestly don't care to try that hard. ;)

As much as I love them, I don't do plants that need to be babied. "Do or die" around here!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2006
1:46 PM

Post #1971405

Mine would be:

Stargazer lilys
Jasmines
Lilacs
Hyacinths
Narcissus
my pink un-named brug

I can't think of them all at the moment!
hnc
Cornelius, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2006
8:47 PM

Post #1972246

Berrygirl, have you tried to grow gardenia and failed? Try again! I live north of Charlotte on the border between zone 7b and almost to 7a and I have about a dozen gardenias that have been thriving since they were planted six years ago (by the previous resident). I don't know the name of the large ones (about 5' tall and have orange ridged hips), but my smaller ones look like Radicans. I did kill one that I planted last year in afternoon sun/no irrigation; don't do that. They happy ones get about 3-4 hours of sun a day, and they are all on drip irrigation, which they get 20 minutes every morning.
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2006
8:48 PM

Post #1972250

Hnc,
Yep I gave up b/c they were too $$$ to be annuals- LOL!
I am thinking of it though.
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2006
4:44 PM

Post #1976051

Berrygirl, try Kleim's hardy gardenia http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/79807/index.html . ;) Big Dipper Farms lists Kleim's Hardy as being hardy to zone 5, although I suspect it will need some sheltering in a microclimate for my region (I am trying it this spring.)

In your case, I would check the soil where you are trying to plant the gardenia, then take into consideration the exposure the plant receives to winter wind and precipitation, as well as summer heat. I would consider a foundation planting on the east side of your house, so the plant would get morning sun, and shelter from the north and west winter winds.

In zone 7b you should be able to grow more than just the hardy variety of gardenia. With a little forethought you should probably be able to grow just about any variety hardy to zone 8b. :)

-Joe
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2006
6:00 PM

Post #1976205

Joe,
I grew the gardenias in my front beds where my azaleas are. It is up against my front porch and is protected from wind and too much sun. In the summer the area gets morning sun only. I believe I did try Kleims Hardy but it died. I am going to try to find a small one and plant it to see if I will have more success with it.
Thanks for your help!
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2006
5:00 PM

Post #1982961

Here are mine in order of strength of scent - strongest to weakest:

Festiva Maxima Peony

Honeysuckle "Belgica"

Lilac

Rosa Heritage

Rosa Autumn Damask

Rosa Louise Odier

Rosa Fantin-Latour

Rosa Albertine

Viburnum Carlesii

Philadelphus "Innocence"

Rosa Chapeau de Napoleon ( Crested Moss Rose)

Sweet Pea Matucana

Sweet Pea Cupani

Rosa In the Good Old Summertime

Iris Codicil
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2006
6:15 PM

Post #1983131

Berrygirl,

You might want to do yourself a favor and get the soil tested at the site where you plan on planting your gardenias. If a plant is compatible to your zone, and you haven't experienced unusual weather, I suspect the problem is not the plant, but the planting medium.

All you might need to grow some large, healthy bushes might be some soil augmentation.

-Joe
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2006
6:50 PM

Post #1983214

Thanks Joe!

I had mentioned in my list the 2 fragrant roses that I have. If you don't grow either Mr Lincoln or Zepherine Drouhin roses, I would strongly urge you to try them!! The bonus with Zephy is that she grows in shade and has no thorns!
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2006
11:00 PM

Post #1983696

COOOOL :) Thank you much for your advise! I'll add them this spring. :)

-Joe
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2006
7:33 PM

Post #1985303

Two I love are Rosemary and Vicks plant. The smell great when you run your fingers thru them. I have a Russian Sage also that is nice.
tmbolin
crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2006
6:18 AM

Post #1992650

I'm so jealous!!! I've been lusting after so many of the plants you guys have listed! My puny little gardens are still just basic. I want to work on the "smelling" this year. You have given my some great ideas. I'd love to have some of the old fashion sweet peas my grandma had. They were wonderful.

Tina
sorgina
oiartzun-near san se
Spain
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2006
12:00 PM

Post #2007992

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned lime flowers, from the lime or linden tree (Tilia cordata, I think). This has to be my favourite fragrance, as it is powerful but not sickly or overpowering, and it has definite calming effects. There was a huge old linden tree growing outside the 400 year house I lived in while at university in SW England, and I swear the perfume of its flowers inhaled deeply every morning before going to campus to take final exams helped me to pass my degree! I sat under it to do my revision too. I still drink lime-flower tea for its calming effects and pleasant aroma - here it is served in all bars and cafes and is a welcome change from coffee, which is delicious but anything but calming...
Another favourite is orange blossom, (called "azahar" here), similar in effect to lime flower. I don't live far enough south to be in the orange-growing areas, but I do have an orange tree and a lemon tree (another wonderful fragrance), in large pots on the patio; if only they would flower more!
Also in pots on the patio are Regal lilies, which get pulled up next to the sun bed when in flower - heavenly.
I have English lavender bushes growing on either side of the garden steps so they get brushed as I go past and release their fragrance. ( I also have thyme and oregano growing ON the steps so I get the aroma as I tread on them - they survive this rough treatment very well).
In the conservatory at the moment, filling the room with their sweetness, I have hyacinths, small, highly-perfumed, pale pink cyclamen,(sorry, don't know the variety), a tiny winter jasmine I've just bought and several rose geranium plants - the biggest by the door so it gets brushed...you get the idea!
This should keep me going until the wallflowers start blooming in Spring, then my Old garden roses Mme Isaac Pereire, Gloire de Dijon, Cornelia and Penelope (Pembertons), Rosa rugosa Scabrosa (ugly name, beautiful flowers and scent), Rosa muscosa centifolia...oh and Meg Merrilees, a scarlet-flowered eglantyne rose with delicious apple-scented foliage...
I think I'd better stop there, but not without mentioning the pink-flowered sweet violets (Viola odorata rosea),which are blooming now on the patio table, and which entice me to drink my afternoon coffee,(or lime flower tea),outside on the sunbed, even in temperatures below 10 C and with snow on the hills...
Maggi xxxx
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2006
5:08 PM

Post #2008497

Maggi- your description is making me quite jealous! The heady perfumes you've described sound so luscious.
sorgina
oiartzun-near san se
Spain
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2006
7:23 PM

Post #2008785

Well, I did only mention the best bits. If I had headed down the garden to the compost heap and the chicken run, you would have been green with something quite other than envy, I promise you! ;D
Maggi xxxx
Leehallfae
Seattle, WA

January 30, 2006
2:34 AM

Post #2009764

My Most Fragrant:

1) Nicotiana Sylvestris - it has an aroma of Jasmine

2) Sweet Woodruff - Fresh hay and vanilla

3) Joe Pye Weed - Vanilla

4) A groundcover - has an aroma of tangerines

5) Chocolate Cosmos - the name says it

6) Sweet Peas

7) Virginia Stock

8) Cosmos - smell like Apple tree blossoms

9) Lavendar

orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2006
12:08 AM

Post #2018440

here is the list of the flowers that I have for their fragrance.
carolina jasmine
pawlonia or vanilla custard tree
hyacynths
tuberose,
rose zeriphine drouhain
rose don juan
several of david austin roses.
wallflowers
lilly of the valley
lilacs
star blazer lillies
brassavola nodosa
bay magnolia
witch hazel
and of course the night blooming jasmine , I had one and it died I would love to find a source so I can have one again, it was my favorite for my porch I miss it ...
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2006
1:44 AM

Post #2018694

Orchidfancy, you can grow night blooming jasmine from seed easily. If you would like a few seeds to try I have a few to spare. Just D-mail me if interested.

I wanted to chime in with a few of my favorites.

-Stargazer Lilies (have them planted everywhere there is a window or
entrance.
-Brugs (especially maya)
-Roses (DA more than most)
-Hyacinth
-Vigna Carracalla (corkscrew flower)
-Gardenia (when I can keep them in bloom)
-honeysuckle
-jasmines
-lilac
-Bolvardia (white)
-Brunfelsia americana
And one I haven't seen mentioned yet
- Cestrum Diumum? (chocolate cestrum) wonderful smell of chocolate
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2006
1:14 PM

Post #2019345

dott,
Cestrum Diumum sounds intresting where did you find it? When I finish my 12mth fragrant garden a Chocolate garden is next on my list. Do you have other Choc. plants?
Caren
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2006
2:21 PM

Post #2019471

Doesn't Akebia vine smell like chocolate?
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2006
2:53 PM

Post #2019563

Caren, I ordered the seeds from Tops Tropicals. I am hoping to root some cuttings this spring and summer once some new growth starts appearing. Chocolate garden sounds wonderful. You will have to get Cocoa mulch for it. No, I don't have any other chocolate plants but I love this cestrum.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

February 4, 2006
2:02 AM

Post #2021171

I'm going to have to quit coming back to this thread! My want list keeps growing!
violabird
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2006
4:05 PM

Post #2022040

You and me both--but for now it's just a dream list until I find a job :(
andycdn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 5, 2006
4:16 PM

Post #2024292

I'm new to this forum, although I've been on DG for a year... how could I have missed this one!?

Most of my favourites are determined by what I can grow in this northerly climate. Apart from spring bulbs, lilies, etc. and lilacs, honeysuckle and other shrubs, my faves include some that I didn't see in previous posts:

Reseda ordorata (mignonette)*
Matthiola bicornis (night-scented stock)*
Heliotrope*
Peony

*I grow these from seed each year.

We have a mass of chokecherry which is intoxicating for about 2 weeks during its spring bloom. And there's a linden just outside my kitchen, how lucky!

I also like the smell of fresh herbs, so I grow them not only for culinary use but also for sweeping my had through the leaves -- tarragon and basil in particular.
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2006
4:50 PM

Post #2024363

Hi Andy,
you said you grow Reseda ordorata from seed every year, do you direct seed or start in pots? I have tried to start them in peat pots and havnt had much luck yet. They come up but die shortly after. I must be doing something they don't like. Ya got any pointers?
Caren
andycdn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 5, 2006
5:13 PM

Post #2024418

Caren,

I start them indoors in March or so, in ProMix (a soil-less growing medium) and put them out in May or so. I tried direct seeding these once and didn't get anything.

For starting the seed, I sow into 4" pots and then prick out the seedlings when they have true leaves, into cube paks and then into the garden. I start most small-seeded plants this way (I got it from Crockett). Larger seed I put right into the cube paks. I put some seedlings under lights if they tend to get leggy. And beware of damping-off. I never cover germinating seeds or seedlings with plastic, to prevent this; I also use NoDamp, either as a spray or a drench.

Mignonette was my grandmother's favourite garden scent; apparently Marie-Antoinette liked it too. It smells like crushed raspberries, good enough to eat. Good luck!
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2006
7:01 PM

Post #2024644

Thanks, I thought it might be damping-off but I have never had a problem with it in the past so I really didnt know what to look for.
Caren
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2006
7:47 PM

Post #2024716

I haven't tried very many of the less hardy plants listed above. What I've had grow here in a small apartment garden with varying degrees of sucess...hyacinths, daffodils, oriental lilies, heliotrope, peony and my unsung hero alyssum--tiny but I love the honey scent when it gets warm. I miss the 20 year old lilac bushes at my parents home. I think I'll try a hardy gardenia and night phlox this year.
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2006
7:49 PM

Post #2024724

I love night phlox! I just got a bunch In the fragrant RR thanks BG! ;-)
oldflowerchild
Dodd City, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2006
3:07 PM

Post #2083716

You should all try some "evening scented stock". To die for fragrance. Flowers and greenery aren't much to look at, but oh that evening fragrance. Funny how it seems to drift across my deck in waves. I went out one evening the first season I grew it, and there was this incredible fragrance. I came in to get my husband and when we went back out it was gone. He of course made a snide remark about my sense of smell. I went back out a few minutes later and there it was again. I picked some of the flowers and brought them inside. My whole house filled with that fragrence.

I grow it in containers and it comes back up the following year from seed.
bambamdryad
Potsdam, NY
(Zone 4a)

March 3, 2006
3:53 PM

Post #2083796

Dave, I can sympathize with you, being across the St. Lawrence from Ontario near Brockville. Very cold climate here. My garden here is fairly new, but favorites I have grown recently are:
Rosa Rugosa Alba
Flowering nicotiana
Alyssum
Peonies
Lilacs
Floribunda Honey Perfume
Hyacinths
mints
Rosemary Offinicianlis
Probably a lot of them I can't think of at this time
BAM
bambamdryad
Potsdam, NY
(Zone 4a)

March 3, 2006
3:54 PM

Post #2083802

Sorry, I meant Andycdn!!! Big goof!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2006
1:17 AM

Post #2094465

I keep hearing everyone say cestrum, but as long as it's in the neighbor's yard. I can't think of anything "headier" than gardenia. Is cestrum more overwhelming than that?

Nice thread. Didn't notice many references to citruses. Oh they are lovely. not too strong, not too faint where you have to stick your nose right in to to enjoy the perfume.
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2006
2:45 AM

Post #2094736

ohhhhhh great thread!! My simple list has already been covered, but I greatly appreciate the ones I need to look into for my back yard "Fragrance Garden" :)

Susan
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2006
12:28 PM

Post #2095328

I found a cupple more I may want to add Texas Mountain Laurel 'Sophora secudiflora' and Chaste Tree 'vitex angus-castus' I havnt smelled them yet but I have been thinking about adding them to my yard. Both have a grape-kool aid sent. What to you all think?
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2006
1:18 PM

Post #2095465

I love:

lily-of-the-valley
Virginia stock
night scented stock
lilacs
evening scented primrose
mock orange
antique lavender sweet pea cultivars
hyacinth
sweet alyssum
creeping thyme (love the muskiness of this)
thai basil

... and one scent I cannot stand is that of the pawlonia tree's blossom. Cloying, over-sweet.
tonyjr
Union City, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2006
1:41 AM

Post #2103252

Jasmines
Brugs
Tuberose
Roses
Gardenia
in that order
springinalabama
Clanton, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2006
6:49 PM

Post #2110112

Hi all. I just joined Dave's site 2 days ago and so far have had a wonderful time just looking up stuff in the Plant files. Then of all things, I run across a forum about my most favorite thing, fragrant plants. I live in central Alabama and can't grow some of the tropical things I'd like to but love brugs, especially the yellow ones, gardenias, especially the miniature ones, petunias, jasmine, lilacs, all the early spring bulbs and for the first time, I'm going to try stargazer lilies this year. Anyone got them? Anyway, glad to be here. Looking forward to new friends and good advice.
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2006
6:58 PM

Post #2110126

Hey, SpringinAL. Welcome!

Have you looked at PlantFiles yet? It's one of the green tabs at the top of this page. Go there, then click on "search plants" and in the "cultivar" window type "stargazer." You'll see what's listed, who grew it and what they had to say about it, photos taken of it, and what vendors sell it. Have fun!
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2006
1:39 AM

Post #2110911

Welcome, where is Clanton (exactly).. I live just outside Macon. Beautiful weather here for last several days. There is a plant swap coming up in central Georgia in May. Elaine
springinalabama
Clanton, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2006
2:21 AM

Post #2113415

Hey there. Thanks for the welcomes. Clanton is 50 miles south of Birmingham. It's fairly small, around 7 or 8000 but close to the big towns if you want to venture there. I lived in Bham for awhile, but much prefer this half country, half city existence. My yard is big enough here to satisfy my growing needs. hahaha. Anykway a plant swap huh. That would be so cool. Wonder if Alabama does that. I've noticed there's not an Alabama forum nor a southeastern forum. Whats up with that?
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2006
2:37 AM

Post #2113442

Spring,, there is an AL/FLA swap.. It is listed in the forum (roundups)..Understand about the big town business. We lived outside Atlanta and also Memphis and it is soooo nice to be out in the country. You need to start one of those Alabama forums. I don't have star gazer lilies,,yet,, have same named dayliles and just started growing brugs and dats. Think they are addictive like daylilies.. Elaine
springinalabama
Clanton, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2006
12:19 AM

Post #2115370

EF, Oh I love brugs too. Have only one at the moment, but it bloomed beautifully last year. Can never remember the name of it. Its a pretty pink. What is a bat?
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2006
2:02 AM

Post #2117785

Dats,,, daturas, cousins of brugmansias,,, sorry should have typed it all. Going to Florida for a couple of weeks..
Elaine
springinalabama
Clanton, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2006
1:57 PM

Post #2118514

Oh der...I knew that. Thought you had bat instead of dat. lol. I
m blind and use a screenreader and sometimes it pronounces things weird. I have never tried to grow those. I guess because they aren't perennials. I should give it a try though.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2006
11:37 PM

Post #2119674

Hi,, I have some datura seeds... will send you some when I get back.. Think I have some triple purple and double white in my "seed refrigerator". They make huge seed pods that you can save and replant. Hugs, Elaine
bermudakiller
Union Grove, AL

March 18, 2006
6:03 PM

Post #2121178

Berrygirl, now i'm starting to stalk you, lol. I've had good luck with zone 7b and August Beauty gardenia, unfortunatly there are at LEAST 2 August beauty's out there, one has large blossoms and is a large leafed cultivar and the other has small blossoms and small leaves and ya see a Lot of stem, unattractive but heavenly in bloom. Both do well in a sheltered location. I put them beside houses or near airconditioners, avoid the draft, and dig a LARGE hole 4 across and 3 down, 1/2 pine bark shredded and 1/4 sand and 1/4 clay, reduce the mulch and sand if you have dirt and not red clay [lucky you], pop the plant in about 1 to 2 " above soil line and mulch well 1 inch above root ball 2 to 3" above soil, water well for a couple of years and summers when there is a drought, fert reg after bloooming, Good luck
bermudakiller
Union Grove, AL

March 18, 2006
6:13 PM

Post #2121204

I'd have a hard time picking , but near the top of the list
Winter honeysuckle
cologne bottles
pansies
petunias
tuberoses/ outside
oriental lilies/outside seriously allergic, have to tend to them well before bloom time or leave it
Garden Party rose, well most roses
Rober's lemon rose geranium
blue balsam mint
wild azalea, canascens [sp}
Halls honey suckle, trying it in a pot to see if it will bloom in captivity
lilac
peony
Clematis Armondii, allergic but love it
wet boxwood
rosemary
thyme
lemon thyme
cherokee plum
lotus
waterlily
most German irises
that's about all I can think of at the moment that really rate
bedouin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 24, 2006
2:42 AM

Post #2215451

I plant for fragrance, butterflies and beauty. They don't all bloom at once, but there is always something of fragrance in the yard.
Most of my flowers are night fragrances, all rather strong and 'heady' but oh, the fragrances are simply wonderful! Many of these tropical plants are poisonous.

Night fragrances: 'wafting' & intoxicating. Delightful near a bedroom window:
Brugmansia - delightful, Insignis (baby powder) and ?? Cyprus Gardens (lemon) All parts are deadly hallucinogenics.
Brunfelsia Americana
Brunfelsia Gigantia - a great favourite!
Brunfelsia Jamaciensis (sp)
Brunfelsia Lactea
Brunfelsia Nitida,
Cestrum Nocturnum - can be overwhelmingly 'heady'. Not good near a bedroom window!
Nyctanthes Arbor-Tristis (Tree of Sorrow). Similar fragrance to Cestrum Nocturnum but not as wafting. Lovely flowers lasting only one night.

Day fragrances or night/day fragrances:
Aglaia odorata. Lemon fragrance
Artabotrys Hexapetalus & Siamensis vines.
Cananga Odorata - Ylang Ylang tree - Chanel #5 is made from its flowers. Wafts beautifully
Cestrum Diurnum - shrub/tree white, milk chocolate fragrance - butterfly nectar
Citrus - Lime, alas, my large tree died due to the hurricanes we had last year!
Fagraea Ceilanica. (I wish Id bought the Berteriana rather, as its even more fragrant)
Freesia - Springtime only though I still have some blooming right now (late April - our beginning of Summer)
Gardenia Belmont large flowers and oh sooo fragrant night and day.
Hedychium Coronarium - shrub. A welcome fragrance at the front door
Jasmine Sambac Grand Duke of Tuscony shrub/vine
Jasmine Sambac Maid of Orleans shrub/vine
Jasmine Sambac Arabian Nights shrub/vine
Jasmine Sambac Mysore Mulli Passiflora Alatocerulea (Belotti) vine. Shrub/vine
Lavendar Wish I could keep them alive here!
Lemon verbena small shrub - oh I love this one! sooo clean and fresh
Osmanthus Fragrance shrub/tree ripe apricots
Parma Violets. Lets see how long this one lives in the heat here! Marvelous fragrance!
Passiflora alatocerulea (Belottii) vine.
Passiflora Quadrangularis vine.
Plumerias trees
Portlandia Grandiflora. Same fragrance as Cestrum Diurnum, milk chocolate.
Quisqualis Indica - vine (Rangoon creeper)
Stephanotis Floribunda. its ok - everyone says its beautiful and strong. Maybe my nose needs help!
Tabernaemontana Holstii and others in the family. Shrubs fragrance is devine! And wafts too.
Telosma Cordata vine- mix of roses and violets. Lovely little yellow bell-like flowers,hidden behind leaves
Tropical Viola Odoratas. They grow like mad here, seeding prolifically. I'm delighted!
Viola Odorata's. I struggle to keep them alive and have to keep ordering new ones! I love them.

soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2006
11:59 AM

Post #2216032

wow great list!!

I know this is odd and not a plant, however, I have it right now and the smell is earthy sweet... I picked up two truck loads of recently shredded leaves from a local city that loads them into my truck and it is certainly hot inside that pile. It smells like the sweet tabacco smell my grandfather smoked in his pipe. It's in the driveway and I can smell it in the back yard. ohhh and I like the smell of the opened pine mulch bag too.. Kinda like the christmas tree smell.

Susan
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2006
3:15 AM

Post #2218572

Susan, not odd at all. I love it when I open alllll those bags,,, especially nature's helper.. b in Ft. Lauderdale, thanks for that wonderful list of good smellin' flowers. Spring, I will send you some seeds of daturas, if you want. Elaine in Lizella
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2006
5:25 AM

Post #2218811

I love to open a box and smell the lily bulbs packed in cedar shavings. :)
springinalabama
Clanton, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2006
3:34 AM

Post #2221907

Here's another one...the smell of freshly upturned dirt. lol. Can't beat it.
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2006
9:20 PM

Post #2248970

Springinalabama,

Up here in Ohio's farm belt the air is full of the smell of fresh turned earth. Other smells I love: "green" air -- the breezes we start getting in March that smell alive -- no longer smell dead.

When the corn pollen starts filling the air we get warm, humid nights filled with that semi-sweet, yeasty smell. That's the smell of high summer here. It plays hell with my hay fever, but it's yummy. :)

Other great smells (to me) -- freshly-mown hay, freshly mown grass, the air right after a thunderstorm, the smell of the woods down south when the mimosas bloom, fresh-cut sasafrass, the sweet air that blows out of groves of birch trees, hemlock woods after a rain storm, the neighbor's barbecue. :P

-Joe
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2006
12:18 AM

Post #2249421

:)

Wild honeysuckle.. Blooming here now :)

Susan
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2006
12:54 AM

Post #2249521

Here too- I love it!!
bermudakiller
Union Grove, AL

May 7, 2006
1:01 PM

Post #2256051

it's just to bad it is such a rampant weed, i leave some for the smell and for gathering the flowers for medicine and flavoring, try parsnips baked in butter, chicken stock, a little brown sugar and a handful of honeysuckle flowers, about 20 to 30 for a serving for 4. Something else :o) I have to retract my comments about hesperis, other day i had a chance to weed part of my patch and the smell about knocked me over.
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2006
1:25 PM

Post #2262089

I like the smell of chrysanthemums and crushed juniper berries- reminds me of when I was a kid.
birdlady_liz
Viera, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2006
4:57 AM

Post #2295079

Hedychium ginger blooms (have over 40 varieties each smells different)
Foliage on Alpinia and Zingiber gingers
Brugmansia (versicolor Apricot and Charles Grimaldi are to die for)
Osmanthus fragrans
Michelia figo
Plumeria
Phaius tankervillaea (nun's orchid)
Cestrum nocturnum
Gardenias-all kinds
chocolate mint
English mint
Rosemary
Myer's Lemon blooms (any citrus)
All of my antique roses
Moonflower
Natchez Crepe Myrtle
honeysuckle
any true Jasmine
Oakleaf hydrangea
Hoya
tuber rose
4 O'Clocks
Easter Lilies
Eucalyptus
Heliotrope
Cherry blooms
Coreopsis
buddleia
lilacs (miss them from when I was a child visiting my grandmother)
hyacinth (they were wonderful)

Thumbnail by birdlady_liz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2006
5:11 AM

Post #2295094

Wow 40 fragrant gingers! Great list.. This will be my first year growing moonvine. I didn't know it was so fragrant. :)

How about Magnolias? I've seen some blooming now and they smell incredibIe. love those blossoms but hubby doesn't want a big one taking up so much space, so maybe a little gem one day.

Susan
IsThisHeaven
Fenton, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2006
4:08 AM

Post #2301670

Peonies
Lilacs
Petunias
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2006
2:47 PM

Post #2322074

soulgardenlove-

I have a Magnolia named Ricki- I bought her last year at the nursery because I coudn't leave that scent behind! It is the most beautiful smell. I usually don't make impulse purchases of trees! Now Ricki is in a place of honor on a hillside in my backyard. She bloomed prolifically again this year, although I didn't expect her to. A great plant, with the scent of ... Lily of the Valley mixed with Festiva Maxima peony. Beautiful!
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2006
12:17 AM

Post #2329607

mmmm, Ivy, Ricki sounds Lovely! :) I'll certainly keep my nose open for her :)

Susan
fiorenza
Channing, MI
(Zone 3a)

June 2, 2006
12:10 AM

Post #2341411

A plant has to smell especially good (or be edible) to get into my garden. My favorites are:
lilac,
peony,
monarda,
phlox,
lily of the valley
petunias en masse
lavender,
jasmines
basil,
Mr. Lincoln Rose
sweet pea
for starters. I am still trying to coax ginger into staying alive; blooming comes later. We are in Zone 3.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2006
2:20 AM

Post #2341910

In addition to above:
clerodendrum phillippinum-cashmere bouquet

Thumbnail by lovetropics

lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2006
2:21 AM

Post #2341918

michelia alba-

Thumbnail by lovetropics

LarisaB
West Seattle, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2006
12:20 AM

Post #2372349

Ah, I want to play, too. Let's see:

Coffee (wintered indoors) --incredible tropical fragrance; kinda like citrus, but spicy
Orange and Lemon blossoms (wintered indoors),
Oriental Lilies (most of them)
Lilac,
Jasmine,
Chinese Wisteria,
Lavender,
Honeysuckle,
Iris Pallida variegata,
Lily of the Valley,
Apple blossom,
Cilantro, when it bolts (I always let one bloom--it gets delicate, lacy white blossoms with a really refreshing fragrance),
French peppermint,
this one vermillion-red rose I inherited that smells like fruit punch,
and another, a huge single-blooming climber that gets thousands and thousand of small (
LarisaB
West Seattle, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2006
12:22 AM

Post #2372358

heh heh, apparently my list is too long to post in one...I was saying
a huge single-blooming climber that gets thousands and thousand of small (2"), fragrant pale-pink-to-white blooms this time of year,
Henna (lawsonia inermis, wintered indoors),
Rosemary,
Borage --if you like the smell of cucumbers

Editing--turns out I had a character that was "breaking" it.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2006 5:24 PM
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2006
12:32 AM

Post #2372376

Larisa,
Wow what a nice list!!
So you don't know the name of your roses? You could post pix of them either here, on the ID, or Rose forums and maybe someone can help you.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2006
1:00 AM

Post #2372453

Ohhh, LarisB,, I want some of that French Peppermint, where did you get it? Love that Rosemary too. Elaine
LarisaB
West Seattle, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2006
2:12 AM

Post #2372814

BerryGirl, Great idea! I'll give that a try. The climber had three blossoms open this morning, so I figure it'll have a few hundred by Monday, and I can take some pics. It's a monster! I cut it all the way back last year, and it's already half again as big as my secont-largest rose, maybe 4 feet wide with canes over 10 feet long. I don't fertilize it!
The "fruit punch" rose blooms a little later, and not so vigorously, so it'll prob'ly be a couple weeks.

Elaine, I got the French Peppermint at my local nursery here in West Seattle. It's kind of a sub-shrub type, and not agressive like most mints, more reasons to like it in my book. If you can't find it in GA, let me know; when it's ready to divide next year, I'll send you one.

Larisa
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2006
11:39 PM

Post #2375762

Thank you Larisa, will keep in touch. It is almost toooo hot here right to do any transplanting or even being outside. My gardenia seems to love this hot weather. It is full of bloom and smells wonderful .. Need to get some more passion vines (the caterpillars love them)
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 11, 2006
3:00 AM

Post #2376441

EFGeorgia1
My gardenia quit blooming several weeks ago. What do you do to make yours keep on blooming? I do so love them!
~Elaine~
LarisaB
West Seattle, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2006
6:45 AM

Post #2376915

Hi BerryGirl,
I was wrong about the red-orange rose; when I got home from work last night I checked it, and there were a few good blossoms already! I posted an ID request in the rose forum.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/613670/
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2006
9:08 PM

Post #2378924

Elaine, planted this gardenia years ago. It gets morning and late afternoon sun. I originally put cow manure and top soil in the bed, but underneath is lots of red clay. It gets lots of water, but good drainage. I have several cuttings I started in pots-will be glad to send you one. Hugs, Elaine (in Lizella)

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2006
10:12 PM

Post #2379137

Wow, how pretty.. I think I have something similar I just salvaged. I certainly hope so.. what a great bloomer!!

:)

Susan
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 12, 2006
5:22 AM

Post #2380549

Oh Elaine ... Would love to have one! Is there anything I could trade you in return?
~Elaine~
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2006

Post #2383225

Hi Elaine,, will put it in the mail tomorrow. Just send me some more rain or any good smelling flower seed you might have. We finally got a shower today after about a month with not a drop. Send me d-mail with your address, hugs, Elaine (in Lizella)
DanceyTx
Midway, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2006
11:24 PM

Post #2387231

Elaine (in Lizella) how do you root cuttings from your gardenia? I have a huge gardenia that I've had for over 7 yrs. and I would love to get some root cuttings started so I could plant some more in my yard.

Lin
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2006
11:43 PM

Post #2387305

Lin,,,uh hate to say, but some I just stuck in a pot with some very loose soil and mulch and left them in shade and very little water. The plant I have is sort of sprawling (I am not a very formal gardener-in fact I need to give this one a hair cut). It seems to root down everywhere a branch touches the ground. I think this is the best way... my azaleas do well this way also . Be glad to mail you some cuttings when I get out the clippers. Elaine
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 14, 2006
12:03 AM

Post #2387355

Elaine
Thanks so much. I'm blowing this rain up your way ... and the seeds will be in the mail! LOL
~Elaine from way down south~
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2006
12:14 AM

Post #2387393

Thank you E south,, it rained yesterday and this afternoon it has been raining a misty steady rain.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 14, 2006
12:16 AM

Post #2387398

Wow, I must have really been blowing hard!! :-) Glad I could help! LOL LOL
DanceyTx
Midway, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2006
6:00 PM

Post #2389953

My gardenia is very upright and tall. My Mother has one that is more sprawling like you say yours is. I might try a cutting from her shrub and see what happens. Or I could try air layering a piece of hers. If all else fails I might take you up on one of your cuttings. Let me try these experiments first though. ;) I'll keep you posted on how this turns out.

Lin
DanceyTx
Midway, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2006
11:24 PM

Post #2390930

Out of all my fragrant plants I would say my Star Jasmine is #1. #2 would be my gardenia. #3 would be my Bill Warriner rose. #4 would be my Mrs. Sam Houston rose.

Lin
kimcheebaby
Valdosta, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2006
8:00 AM

Post #2392248

Jasmine
Wisteria
Honeysuckle
Gardenia
Calamondin blossoms (just discovered how sweet these were)
"Wild" magnolias (have a slight lemon scent to them)
tea rose
Sweet Olive
nandi5
Spring, TX

June 24, 2006
5:42 PM

Post #2428170

My sunbac jasmine blooms, but the bloooms wilt and do not open .Anyone out there knows why this is happening .I love sunbac Jasmine and now I have all these blloms but no flowers.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 24, 2006
8:56 PM

Post #2428756

I don't know what type of jasmine I have. I bought it from WM. It has clusters of white flowers on it it, and is blooming now. It has the most heavenly scent ... right up there with my gardenia! :-)
croclover
Lake Forest, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2006
11:43 PM

Post #2459535

Carnation
Jasmine
Gardenia
Scentimental Rose
lavender

Carnation is by far my favorite! I love picking one and stroking my cheek with the ruffly petals! They are so spicy smelling!
kiwigal
Bel Air, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2006
2:54 PM

Post #2469836

Hi, all. I just discovered this forum. I hadn't really thought that much about fragrant plants because the sweet peas and jasmine I grew up with in New Zealand are too tender for this climate, but I now have lots of new ideas. I've had to completely learn how to garden again.

Did someone mention Dianthus, the fairly common but much underestimated pink? I don't know what kind mine is, but every April/May for about 6 weeks it smells just heavenly, a not-to-sweet, spicey kind of smell. I pick just a few and they perfume the whole room. I just sit there and inhale.
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2006
1:00 AM

Post #2472146

Hi kiwigal, welcome to DG. I agree, some pinks are fantastic. I have Cheddar pinks which have that spicy-sweet smell and also taste like clove.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2006
11:04 PM

Post #2475663

I agree with many of the choices, but I grow two indigenous plants that I couldn't live without in the summer on Nantucket. The first is sweet-fern (Comptonia peregrina) which is a lovely sun loving fern like plant that has a delightful scent. I never not walk by it without running my hands through it to release its aroma. I also love on an August night the amazing scent given off by the blooms on the shrub summer sweet (Clethra alnifolia). I grow large masses of both for their scent. Patti
Ariel73
Riverview, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2006
11:31 PM

Post #2475752

In no particular order, my favorites are

Aweet almond verbena
Gardenia
Michelia Alba
Night blooming jasmine
White butterfly ginger
citrus blossoms
bocaginger
Coral Springs, FL

July 6, 2006
11:58 PM

Post #2475844

Wow - now I want to plant them all.
My personal favorites are gardenia (mine is currently in it's 3rd wave of flowers), orange jasmine (2nd wave), any citrus, sweetpeas (remind me of my youth), all roses, orchids and hoyas.
Ginger
bermudakiller
Union Grove, AL

July 11, 2006
6:42 PM

Post #2493716

I got a new one to add, suprised me as i'd never noticed it before as a strong scent but, Jackson vine. I have it all over 3 sides of the house and i couldn't find what that sweet smell was, even thougt pass a long had a scent for a while, just had to look up, lol. Almost overpowering at times, maybe just this year, we'll see.
Jeff
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2006
2:13 AM

Post #2495357

mmmm, my tall pink phlox smells so good right now. And the hummingbirds love it. will plant more. Elaine
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2006
1:04 PM

Post #2522603

What a wonderful thread, thank you all so much for posting all these plant names! I'm a newbie "real" gardener and I have only planted herbs and vegetables (DH thinks organic is soooo expensive).

I am a scent fanatic, but had no idea what to plant; I've not had much luck with flowers in the past. I'm a Florida transplant and the clay here frustrates me at times.

Anything I can start from seed now in my area and get some good smells in the next four months? I have trellised areas on my deck too, so containers are a possibility?

I hate having to work, I'd so rather read these forums all day and work in the yard...LOL!

Have a great day!

-Sunny
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2006
10:34 PM

Post #2600858

I would have to put Trumpet Lilies at the top of my list and Orienpet lilies 2nd. Both of them are so fragrant they overshadow all else -- including star jasmine!

They can both be grown from seed and will bloom in 2 or 2 1/2 years. Or if you just want the basic 4 colors you can buy the trumpet bulbs.

Suzy
MyHiraeth
Lisbon
Portugal
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2006
1:31 PM

Post #2699937

Sunny - I totally relate! Having to work is a real bummer!!! ;-D... I do wish I could quit my day job...LOL

Aaaahhh... gardenias... they are worse than cats. They say you don't own a cat, the cat owns you - and gardenias are much the same.
This wonderful post was supposed to be about fragrant plants, and it quickly slipped away into the shifting sands of raising gardenias!!!!!!!!!!! I myself am owned by three small gardenia bushes that bloom every now and then. You can't be to fussy about them, because they'll take advantage of you LOL! Moderate indifference seems to do the trick when nothing else does!

With this off my chest, here's my list:

1. Wisteria - definitely. Dreamy scent, subtle and sweet. I don't have one at the moment, but just a wiff brings back tons of fond memories!
2. Freesia - plan to have it next year. Soooo sweet!
3. Gardenias (what else???). It's true, they make me desperate sometimes, but it's worth it! ;-)
4. Jasmine, my never failing friend! Wonderful spring evenings!!
5. My fragrant petunias... still going strong!
6. Rosemary - wild scent!

There's one I can't stand - nerium oleander, or whatever - the tree with the stinky flowers... While I was pregnant I stayed at an hotel that had an alley of them leading to the beach, all baking in the sun and releasing that aroma... Yuck! My head swayed!

As for the rest, I love them all...

bermudakiller
Union Grove, AL

September 8, 2006
5:57 PM

Post #2703507

has anyone tried the sweet black eyed susan, Rudbeckia subtomentosa? supposedly the leaves have a nice scent, going to try it anyway but might give it a more important spot if the scent is strong.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2007
4:33 PM

Post #3071187

MY favorites; Brugmansia, Brugmansia, Brugmansia,... ( you catch my drift!)

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

bbinnj
West Orange, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2007
5:18 PM

Post #3071340

My most fragrant by how far away I can smell them:
hyacinths
lilacs
roses- dianthus- lavender 3 way tie
mints - oregano 2 way tie
peppermint-scented pelargonium
But when the mint escapes into the lawn and then gets stepped on or mowed, it becomes #1.

In the process of trying to raise some fragrant indoor plants, right now only have the pel.
bedouin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 8, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #3168320

I plant for fragrance and butterflies. My garden delights:

Telosma Cordata (vine, tiny yellow bell-like flowers) Fragrance = a mix of violets & roses.
Cananga Odorata (Ylang Ylang tree) source of Chanel #5 perfume.
Hedychium Coronarium (white butterfly ginger)
Osmanthus Fragrans
Plumerias (frangapani)
Violets, Odorata & Parma- old fashioned violets, exquisite fragrance
Freesia's
Brunfelsia's (all exquisite night fragrances: Gigantia, Lactea, Nitida, Americana, Isola, etc)
Cestrum Nocturnum (night fragrance, extremely strong) (night jasmine)
Cestrum Nocturnum (day fragrance of milk chocolate) (day jasmine)
Passifloras: Inspiration, Gabrielianna, Quadrangularis, Alatocerulea, and others
Artabotrys Hexapetalus (Ylang Ylang vine)
Artabotrys Siamensis (Ylang Ylang vine)
Agalaia Odorata
Brugmansia's
Tabernaemontana Holtsii etc. Exquisite fragrance.
Gardenia's (particularly Belmont)
Gardenia Tubifera (Kula) (golden Gardenia) musky fragrance
Gardenia Vietnamensis
Jasmine Sambacs: Grand Duke, Maid of Orleans, Arabian Knights, Mysore Mulli
Nyctanthes Arbor-tristis (Tree of Sorrow)
Portlandia Grandiflora
Corn Plant: the one in every office up north! So strong at night its headachy...Blooms 1/year
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2007
12:13 PM

Post #3177319

Great list! :)

Susan
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #3179981

I just found this thread and it is wonderful!!! thanks for these list so I can add to the fragrance in my house and yard...
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2007
11:24 AM

Post #3194543

My favorite is:

White Ginger, Garland Lily, Butterfly Ginger Hedychium coronarium

smells like gardenias and grows as easily as cannas except for the staking
littlemick
Maryville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2007
1:52 AM

Post #3248804

Hi, great thread. I grow exclusively for scent.#1is roses. Favorites for scent are Graham Thomas, Baronne Provost, Mme. Issac Pereire, Mme. Alfred Carriere, New Dawn, Abraham Darby, Zephirine Drouhin,Tournament of Roses, Queen Elizabeth, Don Juan, L.D. Braithwate, The Prince, Othello, Double Delight, Fragrant Cloud. #2 would be Gardenias. After trial and heartache, I have found Gardenia, "August Beauty" to be hardy in the ground.#3 White Ginger, also hardy in the ground.#4 Tuberose #5 Lavender# 6 Lily of the Valley, #7 Brugmansias. #8 Butterfly Bush#9 Hibiscus.#10 Four O'clocks. I also grow a large variety of Iris, Daylilies, Daffodills, Azalea, and lots of herbs. I do not take anything up in winter. I mulch heavily with oak leaves and forget about it. I've been doing this for about ten years and so far have been lucky with hardiness. This year I am going to try more tropicals that i will have to overwinter in pots. I want to try Bougainvillea, Tropical Hibiscus, Fragapani and Cape Plumbago. I also ordered 9 of the most fragrant roses Heirloom Roses has and planted them last fall. They look great after a mild winter. I got lots of new ideas from everyone's answers. Thanks
plantnutga
Thomasville, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2007
11:22 AM

Post #3249462

Hi, just had to add my two bits!

Osmanthus fragrans- always makes me feel happy!
Hedychium ginger blossoms
Gardenia blooms
Unknown ginger- probably alpinia- has never bloomed but ooooooh, the leaves!
Rosemary
Creeping lemon thyme
Georgia savory - our native rosemary, foliage smells AMAZING!
Lemon lime mint - a creeper I used to grow in South FL, fantastic after a rain
Crinum- the one that smells like vanilla and honey
Brugmansia
Plumeria
Lonicera fragrans - winter blooming honeysuckle- fantastic lemon scent!
Jonquil henrii
Meyers lemon blossoms- just discovered, must have
Buddliea
Banana bush- we have a huge one, not very pretty but oh, my, the scent!
Hostas- some varieties have great blooms
Carolina allspice
Carolina sapphire- a conifer with amazing smelling foliage
Native azaleas- some smell beautiful to me, some are too strong
Vitex

I wish I could enjoy the scent of newly mown grass, but our neighborhood is infested with skunk vine, so when people mow the two scents mingle. Yuck!
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2007
5:03 PM

Post #3351733

My favorite trees to smell are, Orange, Black Locust, Chinese Tallow.
foggywalk
marshville,, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2007
7:30 PM

Post #3356079

Hi! new here, I think I saw it mentioned once, but it's so heavenly I want to say it again! Clematis Armandii...Its an evergreen clematis & blooms here in NC in late March early April...it can be bitten by frost so if buds are showing cover it up...worth it!! It will cover an arch after a few years & gorgeous is not enough to describe it...beautiful draping white flowers. The fragance fills the garden and my house 150 feet away. My garden is mainly a fragrance garden, but this beat all!
Foggy
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

April 5, 2007
1:57 PM

Post #3358608

I'm trying to build a fragrant garden. I think I might have seen that at WM. I'll definitely have to check that out. Is it similar to a jasmine in that it likes to trellis?
bermudakiller
Union Grove, AL

April 7, 2007
10:40 AM

Post #3364866

It can hit 30 feet or better here, hard to keep it happy, much less blooming, under 10 feet. I would suggest a very sheltered location, not only to rduce the chances of it freezing when in bloom, but the small branches are brittle and winds are likely to snap them. I've removed several plants that had to be constantly trimmed to remove the dead branches, but those in shelterd areas only rarely have to be cleaned up, restrained yes but but dead removed, no. Dirr has seen one 20 feet up and 30 feet across. I have raised it on chains to cover a porch, over trellisis but the best one I have ever done, at a clients, as i am seriously allergic to the fragrance, is draped over a brick wall sheltering the pool, really does beautifuly and is very handsome even when not in bloom. Seen it done over and through a cast iron fence, striking, but over whelmed it eventually and had to be restrained after 3 or 4 years.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2007
10:46 AM

Post #3364881

Psssst...be sure to add your "votes" for your favorite fragrance plants by leaving comments for each of them in PlantFiles.

Also be sure to review those entries and make sure they're marked as "Flowers are Fragrant" in the "Other Details" section.

If that section doesn't have that detail, please use the Report an Error button while you're looking at the entry and let our editors know - we'll make sure it gets added.

RoseyQ
Crystal Lake, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2007

Post #3384686

For fragrance - sweet peas are my most favorite flowers
sayma
Tujunga, CA

April 29, 2007
11:22 AM

Post #3443557

when I first moved into my house, if it didn't smell, I wouldn't plant it
violets in winter-especially parmas
jasmine sambac any in late summer
roses- won't plant them if they aren't especially fragrant- and the leaves of eglantine
osmanthus fragrans- tea olive in fall and late winter
freesias- but not the white- they smell like pepper
jasmine humile little yellow flowers that smell like carnations
jasmine pubescens-smell a little like sambac jasmine
honeysuckle- halls (sipping the nectar, too) and fragrantissima in late winter
scented leaf geraniums, especially ginger
dianthus
bauhinia the hummingbirds love this tree, too
lemon blossoms, even though I am allergic to bees
sage, especially pineapple and agastache
sweet alyssum-like honey
fruit trees, especially my apricot a sweet subtle scent
winter iris
phlox
narcissus
lavendar
hyacinth- both grape and the kind I have to put in the refrigerator
fragrant petunias,fragrant tobacco, fragrant four o clocks-just found flower scent gardens as they are getting ready to close their doors
cestrum nocturnum- gets too strong, like my jasmine polyanthum
then there is the wish lish
gardenia- trying a new frost resistant one
daphne odora-when it lives
rangoon creeper no room, my mother in law had a huge one
solandra- cup of gold vine- too big
lilac- grows great, but only blooms every other year- how can it be too cold for citrus here and too hot for descanso lilacs?
camellia sasanqua- had a very fragrant one that died
tuberose I think I have given up- at least the ones at the florists smell
now after reading all these great posts I have to get off and find if sweet woodruff will grow here
telosma cordata- sound like a must have!

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #3445504

Sayma, how big does your bauhinia get? We had orchid trees in Florida many years ago when I was growing up and they were beautiful. It is interesting what will survive in an area and what will not.
sayma
Tujunga, CA

May 1, 2007

Post #3453568

My bauhinia purpurea must be 25 or 30 feet tall, it has been blooming for a month. I heard you can stuff the blossoms to eat. It seeds itself here very well, too. Lots of bean pods in summer.
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2007
4:03 PM

Post #3455808

I've discovered the fragrant tulips... not the ones with the usual tulipy scent...

Right now, the best I've found is "Orange Favorite," a parrot tulip. Orange blossom/lilac/something else fragrance. So many of the orange tulips are beyond yummy. I'm going to do a huge planting this fall...
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2007
2:39 AM

Post #3846571

OK here's mine:

1) Night-blooming jasmine (the ones in Southern California)
2) Lilacs
3) Wisteria
4) Rose "Hansa" (damask scent)
5) Rose "Perfume Perfection"
6) Lily "Casa Blanca"
7) Orange Butterfly Weed
8) Kentucky Mint
9) Freesia
10) Sweet William
11) Daffodils
12) Cherry cigars!! (Yes, I love their smell!!)

Of course there's more, but those are on the top.

ezgroonly
Fountaintown, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2007
12:21 PM

Post #3953758

Can't imagine that Phlox paniculata was so seldom listed in these posts!!! A lovely sweet scent, good for cutting, and I wouldn't suggest it if it were not EZGRO!
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2007
4:52 AM

Post #3957291

Yep--I overlooked Phlox because I have several plants and they are, well, handy. The elusive ones (they can't grow here or are hard to come by, come once a year, or vary with variety) are the ones I savor and reminence. Your nose knows when there is a unique scent. But I agree--Phlox is lovely and should have been in place of the freesia on my list.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2007
5:15 AM

Post #3957322

Yes, the phlox smell is lovely. I've had Phlox 'David blooming for at least 2 months now and the smell is subtle but very nice. It was just planted last year so anxious for it to increase in clump size and really put out the scent.

Lana
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2007
6:03 AM

Post #3957366

Shrubs: Pittosporum tobira
Brunfelsia
Buddleia
Osmanthus fragrans
Star jasmine
Lavender

Bulbs: FREESIA !!!
Paperwhites
Lilies
Hyacinths

Annuals/ Sweet peas
Perennials Stock
Heliotrope
Petunias
Nicotiana
Pansies and Violas
Hedychium

Roses Cecile Brunner
Sheila's Perfume
Bill Warriner
Polka
Lady Banks

Vines Stephanotis
Jasmine polyanthum

Herbs: Basil
Rosemary
Lemon Thyme

Trees Purple Leaf Plum
Magnolia
Evergreen Pear

fauna4flora
West Palm Beach, FL

December 5, 2007

Post #4265065

I'm trying to decide if I want to call "most fragrant" by heaviest scent or by what I prefer...I'll go with my preference since certain plants that I own that really put me in heaven!

Brufelsia americana (smells like sweet clove)
Orange/Citrus Blossoms
Aglaia odorata
Night Blooming Jasmine
Orange Jasmine
Gardenia vietnamensis
Michelia alba
Angle's Trumpet
Confederate Jasmine
Crinum Lily
String of Pearls Vine
Gardenia augusta
Oncidium "Cherry Baby"
Heliotrope
Artabotryus hexapetalus
Shaving Bruh Tree
Rangoon Creeper
Pandorea
Shell Ginger
Peacock Ginger
Gelsmium sempervirens

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2007
2:46 AM

Post #4266299

fauna,,,
great list. I would have to put orange blossoms first. I grew up with them and I am sure I didn't appreciate them nearly enough back then. What is Pandorea? Need to go look on plant files. thanks for sharing. My Brugmansias are still blooming in my greenhouse and they smell wonderful.
Elaine
fauna4flora
West Palm Beach, FL

December 6, 2007
3:37 AM

Post #4266496

Pandorea is a tropical vine from Africa. Mine is variegated, although that is not always so (my boss and I are at odds about the marketable value of variegated varieties!!!!) Its scent is light- you have to really stick your nose in the flower to notice it. I think the most common flower is purple.
valrita

December 6, 2007
12:38 PM

Post #4267141

What is "String of Pearls Vine"? I'm trying to look it up to see if it'll grow here.
fauna4flora
West Palm Beach, FL

December 6, 2007
2:37 PM

Post #4267609

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1777/

It is a kind of succulent vine, and should be sold as a houseplant in the Exotic Angel collection for those of you that are familiar with that product line (their website is down at the moment.)

I have mine outside, and definitely was triggered to flower by the shortening days. I was really surprised when it turned out to be so fragrant!
valrita

December 6, 2007
4:00 PM

Post #4267947

Okay. I've seen those. I didn't know they were fragrant though. Thanks!
bocaginger
Coral Springs, FL

December 13, 2007
3:19 AM

Post #4289539

orange jasmine
gardenia
ylang ylang
honeysuckle
lavendar
brugmansia
plumeria
corn flower
rangoon creeper
AnnieJo
(Annie ) in Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #4590984

I have ginger alpinia zerumbet which has never bloomed for my - usually dies completely back in the winter but not this winter so I am hoping for a bloom! which of the gingers are most fragrant? Thanks,
annie
Nana3
Hanson, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #4824891

The Glossy Abelia is my favorite. Some years it doesn't give off much of a fragrance, but when it does it simply smells up the whole yard. Last year the scent was better than it has ever been. I noticed that the scent was the strongest in the evening and in the early morning hours. The smell wasn't constant and seemed to come in drifts at certain times during the day and night. I have two of these and I've had them for about 25 years.

Nana3

Thumbnail by Nana3

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #4824921

Nana, I just clicked on your pic, and it did not enlarge?? It sure looks pretty. I have Rosecreek Abelia as foundation planting and I love it.
Elaine
Nana3
Hanson, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #4824945

Sorry Elaine, I posted my thumbnail pic from plant files instead of the enlarged version.
Let me try this again so you can see it better.

Thumbnail by Nana3

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #4824969

Oh,,, that is beautiful. And so much prettier than all that stuff landscapers use as foundation plantings..
Can't wait for mine to spread more.
Elaine

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #5028304

We should bump this thread up.

Do I have to have my favorites in my own yard??
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #5028433

My lemon meyer has new blooms on it.. mmmmmm
Elaine
AnnieJo
(Annie ) in Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #5037662

I planted all kind of nicotinias this year because I heard they were so fragrant. They are bloomiing like crazy and I can't smell a thing from them. What gives?
Annie

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #5047146

Annie - some are scented some are not. Best time to enjoy the fragrant ones is at night - esp. if you have more then one bloom. I have lots of seedlings I'm growing this year but the only scent I have personal exp. with the the 'Fragrant Cloud' - which was incredible!!! There are others including one that Parks sells the seeds of that are apparently very fragrant. If you remind me I'll be happy to get you out some fresh seeds when I can gather some this year - might even have some from last summer...dmail me please, if interested.
AnnieJo
(Annie ) in Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #5048051

Actually, the nicotinias are all from Parks seeds. I will try sniffing in the evening. Does the 'Fragrant Cloud' only have fragrance in the evening, too? Thanks,
Annie

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5048967

It's kinda like those old fashion purple petunias - very difficult, for me at least, to detect any scent except in the evenings.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5052142

My favs...
lilac
flower drift daffodil
daphne
rose
honeysuckle

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 4, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5052831

blooms don't lasy long enough, but i love wisteria. sally
valrita

June 4, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5053768

Some of my favorites:
Hyacinth
most lilacs
Lavender
Viburnum (koreanspice, juddii, burkwoodii)
Mockorange
Rose (Mr Lincoln, Double Delight)
Clethra
some peonies

But my most favorite is an orienpet lily called 'Silk Road'. I was always neutral on lilies--I just thought they were OK. Then I planted these lilies and they perfumed the whole yard. In their first season, they knocked my long-time favorite scent (hyacinth) into second place. I never thought I'd find a scent that I liked more than hyacinth but it finally happened. This is a description of Silk Road (they are the fourth and fifth pix down the page)
http://www.thelilygarden.com/pages_lilies/orienpet_1.html

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2008
3:44 AM

Post #5055899

Yes THOSE are the ones I'm ordering come fall...
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 6, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5062470

I ordered Spring Hills JOSEE LILAC COLLECTION. Anyone familiar with that? I only had to pay shipping for the 2 plants. I hope I'm not disappointed. :)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #5062712

Not heard of that...you'll have to tell us what you think!!
AnnieJo
(Annie ) in Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2008
6:06 PM

Post #5068184

Okay, it's final. I smelled my nicotinias in the evening and I didn't smell anything. Either my sniffer is broken or my nicotinias don't work!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #5068720

I'm gonna be "slightly" annoyed if mine don't end up with a scent. I believe you and I bought the same seeds and I distinctly recall them being advertised as being scented...grrrrr!! My 'Fragrant Cloud' Nicotiana self seeded and the one blooming now has that incredible evening scent
AnnieJo
(Annie ) in Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5068894

Let me know how yours go. Hopefully I have a defective sniffer and yours will smell glorious!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5071846

Might not get you far...but I'd (and I will if they don't) contact Parks about that. Scent was the only reason I purchased them...I have plenty of other things that are purple not like I needed the color...ya know? Would you like some seeds I have some I rec'd in trade from a generous DGer recently. These are fresh from this year.
AnnieJo
(Annie ) in Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #5072754

I think it is too late for me to plant this year. We have already had 11 days of 100 degree weather. Everything here is pretty much going into "maintain" mode. I do appreciate the offer, though. I will contact Parks and let them know.
Annie

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5074319

I'm so sorry hearing about this heat out there with no relief :( My Nicotiana (with waterings) blooms all summer - course we don't hit the over the 100 mark too often
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 9, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #5078295

It's over 100 here, also with heat index over 100 also. YUCK! No rain for over 2 weeks. I'm watering twice a day but things are still getting crunchy. :-( It's tooo hot to water in mid day.

I do have some hosta blooming, and my little dwarf gardenas are blooming ... but they're not just busting out this year since they're new.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 9, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #5078320

I can't believe I missed this thread!
On the "I can't smell nicotianas" comment from Annie Jo. There are some plants that everybody raves about the fragrance, that I just cannot smell! Heliotropes for example. It's on someone's top 10 here. I have never, ever detected the slightest sent! Isn't that weird??? Same with petunias...zero fragrance for me! weird...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #5078373

Only Petunias that I've found have the scent are those old fashioned dark purple ones...and recently some of the WAVE whites...but not all of them...literally I was going around sniffing blooms...imagine THAT sight!?!? LOL
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 9, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #5078543

I do that too! I just cannot walk by a rose and not smell!
AnnieJo
(Annie ) in Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #5078770

At least I know my sniffer isn't totally out of whack! I can smell the heliotropes, but only sometimes and I have to get close. My petunias seem to be that way also, hit and miss with them. Nothing seems to be very fragrant right now - does the heat affect fragrance?
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2008
10:44 PM

Post #5078836

Sure does, and some are most fragrant in the evening, to attract those nocturnal pollinators.
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5080121

Brugmansia, 4 O'clocks, Nicotiana, Datura, ummm I know theres more...
Caren
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2008
10:43 PM

Post #5154267

I have a Heliotrope "Marine". They are supposed to be the most fragrant of Heliotrope, but I am waiting on the flower. It is a slow grower.

I just read an article about some fragrant orchids in the "Dancing Ladies" variety. Some smell like vanilla or chocolate. Does anyone have thos and can testify??
ajaxmd
Vienna, WV

June 26, 2008
2:52 AM

Post #5160516

I am surprised no one has mentioned Sarah Bernhardt peony. It is as fragrant or more so than Festiva Maxima in my yard...
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

August 21, 2008
10:03 AM

Post #5445585

Ooh, wonderful lists! No wonder this thread has gone on for years!

I can only speak to the ones I've grown. Top of my list isn't a domestic vine (or bine). I can only describe it: very dark, arrow shaped leaf, blooms about this time of year, the flowers are pure white and bloom with a sort of umbrella shape all up and down the vine, and the perfume is thick, cloying, even, and totally overwhelming! It doesn't resemble any domesticated vine I know of, and I can only think it must be impossible to grow deliberately as the reason no one's tried to domesticate and propagate it. I wish I knew it's name...

Second on my list is Korean Spice viburnum. Most viburnums smell kinda funky to me, but this one is pure and pleasant and fills the yard with perfume when it blooms. It's a small tree now in my front yard. I'd like to get a few starts off it this year if possible.

Old fashioned lilac

another wild plant: Sweet Annie or sweet anise--the name varies with regions. Grows around edges of cornfields and looks like 5'7 foot tall arborvitae around sept-october. Med. green. Has a strong herbal smell resembling a perfumed pine smell. Men seem to hate it and amongst my friends we call it Man Bane because our husbands all universally hate it! it makes beautiful wreaths. There's so much resin in it it feels sticky to work with.

And number five...muguette? or lily of the valley? That's my top 5.

I love roses, but they aren't as overwhelming as I'd like them to be.

Melis
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 21, 2008
12:55 PM

Post #5446074

melis , is there any way you can post a picture of that number one choice ? maybe someone here can identify it , or post also in plant i.d. forum? if you dont have a camera , then maybe a friend does . there are a LOT of us that would thank you . sally
valrita

August 21, 2008
1:33 PM

Post #5446243

I'm curious whether anyone can ID your plant too. The people on DG amaze me with their knowledge.

My best smelling rose is probably 'Double Delight'. All of my roses are considered very fragrant but that one perfumes the middle of my yard. For second place, it's a tie between 'Fragrant Cloud' and 'Mister Lincoln'.

I have to add one more to my 'Most fragrant plant list'. This year I planted an OT lily called 'Shocking' and it's wonderful. Very strong, sweet fragrance that carries very well. I wish the blooms lasted longer but it was such a joy that it's well worth it. I can't wait until next year when they're bigger!

What's muguette? I'm curious and I can't find it in Plant Files.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 21, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5446301

sweet anise- - - florida anise , is it the same ? i have four of them , f . anise , and my dh doesn't comment on the fragrance . sally
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 21, 2008
4:59 PM

Post #5447377

It's probably "Muguet", same as convalaria majalis (sp?). Smells incredible!
Melis, from what you describe my wild guess would be moon vine? But pleeeease post a picture for us! : )
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

August 22, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #5450448

Well, last first: if by moon vine you mean the morning glory or some sort of evening primrose or even a datura, no it's not any of those. I will do my best to capture the wild green stinkus on film for you all, as soon as I sniff one out. It blooms same time as autumn clematis and that's out now. (BTW it smelled WAY more than the clematis, and my whole porch was covered with that at one time.)

Muguette is the French name for lilly of the valley. There's a classic perfume out there named 'Muguette' which is the same perfume as the lilly of the valley. A big favorite of mine.

Did I forget anything? Oh. Doubt the florida thing is the same as sweet annie. Unless your Florida annie is a six or seven foot tall weed? just did a little research and apparently the straight poop on sweet annie is that it's an annual native artemesia --that means its a relative of wormwood and dusty miller. It's a big family, artemesia! The right name is apparently artemesia annua, and some seem to consider it an herb. When I looked it up on google images, it was plain some people were indeed growing it in their herb gardens as a tame herb. I've only ever known it as a wild weed in SW Ohio, so I hope you'll forgive my ignorance. But I can certainly STRONGLY recommend it to you as a wonderful herb, a wonderful dried herb, and a wonderful way to chase the men out of the room when you want to talk about them!!!

O. Also, interestingly, the World Health Organisation appears to be studying artemesia annua as an antimalarial. Who knew? Here's a pic of a frond of A. annua or Sweet Annie. picture it seven foot tall and sticky.

Melis

Thumbnail by Melissande

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 22, 2008
11:27 AM

Post #5451110

your pic didn't enlarge , but mine is an evergreen , will get 6 -7 " tall with mature crisp , shiny leaves . it has a purple red bloom in the early summer .very slow growing . sally
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

August 24, 2008
6:34 AM

Post #5460081

well my camera picked this moment to fly to pieces. So all I can say is it's a vigorous vine, DARK green and very long and narrow arrow shaped with silvery veins. The flowers, when they come, are tiny white things with the general umbrel shape of a queen anne's lace, only not that wide an umbrel, and the flowers are bigger. And it's blooming about now. Next couple of weeks anyway. And the perfume is very full and cloyingly sweet.

I'm going to look around on the internet a bit to see if I can spot anything like it.

Melis
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2008
1:01 PM

Post #5460454

Does it look anything like this?

Thumbnail by Moby

violabird
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5463725

Sounds like Sweet Autumn Clematis to me http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/683/
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 25, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #5463863

The description sounds like my silver lace vine. I never detected a fragrance though.

Thumbnail by robcorreia

Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

August 26, 2008
8:28 AM

Post #5468883

Moby, *YES*! That's it. Erm, what IS it?--M
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

August 26, 2008
8:32 AM

Post #5468887

Viola, no it's not good old autumn clematis, though it blooms at exactly the same time, but it's *ten times stronger scented!* And rob, it's not silver lace either.
Look at Moby's photo.
That's it.
What is it?!
M
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

August 26, 2008
8:39 AM

Post #5468891

When I clicked viola's link to the sweet autumn clematis, you can see the vine I was telling you about growing right up amongst the clematis. The clematis leaves are the same on all of them, triple, and recurved, but in amongst the white flowers and tiny autumn clematis leaves you can see the big, dark green arrow-likke leaves growing right along with the clematis!

Just like mine used to do on our porch.

Melis
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2008
11:23 AM

Post #5469086

My flowers are all gone now except for a few spindly sprigs here and there. Are the flower clusters shaped like half a golf ball? Here are some pics http://aolsearcht11.search.aol.com/aol/image?query=Cynanchum%20laeve If that looks right then it's Cynanchum laeve, or sand vine ~ wonderful for Monarch butterflys!

This message was edited Aug 26, 2008 12:14 PM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 26, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #5469473

don't we need a continuation of this thread ? sally
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

August 26, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5470202

You have nailed it Moby, and now I have two new reasons to let it live in addition to it's the stinkiest (but in a good way) thing I've run across since back in '76 when the garbage man missed me two weeks in a row during a heat wave when I had three catfish carcasses in the can and the fumes ate the paint right off my siding (obviously *not* in a good way)!!! Namely: 1)that it is good for butterflies, and 2) it has a real name and I can dignify it with a little blue taggie thing, safe in the knowledge I can hold my head high, despizing shame, for I no longer love a *weed* but a valuable named plant that supports monarchs! and I can build it a little wood trellis and gently urge their little nodding heads and questing little green fingers up my home made tuteur, chucking their little chins and cooing to them an--

Can't wait another sec. I'm off!

Melis (in more ways than one, apparently.)

This message was edited Aug 26, 2008 12:26 PM
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #5470464

While this sand vine has it's positive attributes, not everyone appreciates them, so be a dear and pluck off the seed pods as they develop. The seeds are carried by the wind on darling little poofs of silk ~ letting them fly was a favorite pasttime as a child. I doubt others approved!

I put the green pods in a plastic bag tied shut so that they rot and then discard them, otherwise they will still ripen off the vine. Don't worry ~ your plant will come back from the root.

Thumbnail by Moby

Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

August 26, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #5470797

...being a dear as we speak.
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #5471348

Good girl. ;)
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

August 26, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5471505

Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #5476460

Hmmm. So interesting, Melis and Moby. I have not seen a sand vine around here, I don't think. I'm trying to attract more butterflies, so this is big news. Saying they grow among clematis, do you mean they like shade? We have lots of Virginia creeper and ivy here, but I've no clematis as yet. I'd go poking around for sand vine now if it were daylight.
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #5476792

I wouldn't ~ if you've got virginia creeper then you have enough trouble on your hands. If it weren't for the Monarch benefit I would do everything in my power to eradicate it. This vine can literally bind and smother plants if allowed to do so.
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

August 28, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #5476899

That's true. I was more sickly last year and missed what the creeper and English Ivy was doing to my front yard. I lost a $100. redbud, and have nearly lost a large mock orange and a korean spice viburnum was being threatened. I had to get on the ball removing it all.

What I meant was they all like the same kinds of conditions. If you have autumn clematis and/or virginia creeper in the yard, you might look in the same areas and see if you might also already have the sand vine growing along with it.

Melis

This message was edited Aug 29, 2008 11:38 AM
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2008
10:58 PM

Post #5480217

I understand the "problem" with the vine, Moby. I know I would not transplant it. Just want to know if it's in the area. I have wisteria vines, which is an aerobic plant to tend, so yes, I have my hands full. I love the look and smell of the spring blooms and lushness of wisteria. Birds nest in the vines, and it makes a lovely picture and shade under arches.

I appreciate the info on the sand vine, both the good and the bad, my friends. :-)
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5480345

Probably the easier way to find it would be to look for the pods after everything ~ other vines and shrubs, have died back for the winter. The pods will be tan and persist until spring. Usually cracked open by then...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Fragrant Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Are there any easy Gardenias? Heavinscent 56 Jan 25, 2012 8:53 PM
Most Fragrant Petunias... zville123 41 Jul 31, 2014 3:55 PM
Fragrant Iris List violabird 8 Jan 19, 2008 3:38 PM
Michelia alba lovetropics 77 Sep 22, 2008 5:01 PM
Rangoon Creeper celt33040 86 May 10, 2009 3:07 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America