-
AuthorContent
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2006
12:58 AM

Post #1967983

We have four lavendar guineas, just over five months old, and they FINALLY got moved into their new home :-)

All are females, named Eenie, Meanie [she pecks], Bloomer, and Moe. OK, so the third one WAS named Miney, then when he didn't puh-peep with the others, i thought i had a male, adn began to call him Miner. Later, he stopped honking so much and started doing the two syllable puh-peep, [also called, "come-back", which can only be made by females]. So, SHE was a late bloomer, thus her odd name. Or maybe you think the others have the odd name LOL

rats, i forgot to take a picture. i carried two birds at a time. [mine have had some handling, so stay relatively calm, or maybe stunned] the first two just stood around and gawked and pooped. the second two did the same at first, but they were the more dominant ones [harder to catch too!], and they got into the groove faster. they didn't hardly touch their food, but went right to the roosts i built for them.

when i went to close their door for the night, they still couldnt' make up their mind where they were sleeping, back and forth they flew! so i felt pity on them and left my spotlight in there until they get settled. when i go to check on them, and to see if the recharger thingy went out, i will take a quick picture.

meanwhile, here are "the birds" when we had a REALLY cold spell. it was just before Thanksgiving, and it was below zero at night, seven degrees in the day, wand the wind was from the east. their outdoor cage was in the carport, which is open to the east, and i coudl not bEAR the thought of stressing or losing them, and was unsure whether we would get ice with the storm [we did]. so i made a place for them in our un-finished dining room! it was great!!! the weather warmed up to put them back out, just as they were getting comfortable enough to consider exploring the household LOL

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2006
1:16 AM

Post #1968024

Liked reading about your guineas and experiences. I have never had guineas. Here I now have 1 fairly large banty type rooster and two hens, all are about 5 years old. They live in a prebuilt shed, 8 x8 feet, with a connected8 x 8 ft. chicken wire fenced yard. Dec. was so cold that they were not allowed out of their chicken house. It has a suspended heat lamp just above their roost for heat. Today was the first time I let them out into the garden and were they happy. The temp today after morning wind and rain, when the sun came out reached 50 degrees.

DonnaS
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2006
1:32 AM

Post #1968061

her they are., all nestled and snug. they always roost together like this, very TIGHT group lol.

they will have a wire pen. when i get osmeone to dig the holes for me!

the inside is three cinderblock walls, one stud wall. they have a door and a glass storm door, so they will get direct sun in the daytime. i dont' have electricty out there. i ran three cords, for power tools, but put those up today. i want to get the solar night lights installed. no point increasing our already high electric bills LOL

mine won't be free ranging till spring, when the first bugs come out!

Donna, would love to hear more aobut your three babies...

tf

here they are, looking around again. they seemed ocntent, didn't jump while i was opening the doors, so i brought my spotlight back in to recharge...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2006
1:50 AM

Post #1968113

We just have one guinea, a hen named Mrs. G. She is about 5 or 6 years old. I only keep one around to eat the ticks in the yard. They are too noisy and aggressive to have more. Ours is the old fashioned color. I do like the Lavender and Lilacs ones. We only had one white one, a male who was so mean that we got rid of him rather quickly.

Guinea fowl are really very hardy. Most people don't even have shelter for them tho I personally think that is not a very good way to treat them. Ours live with the ducks, geese, peacock, banty chickens, & pigeons.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2006
2:41 AM

Post #1968267

Do you suppose if I could find a young lavender guinea it would get along with my older banties. TamaraFaye I think yours are so pretty.

Tomorrow I will try to take a photo of my three banties. Only the black banty hen lays eggs and she isn't laying many. I think getting too old. DonnaS
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2006
3:18 AM

Post #1968350

Donna, I SURE DO! i go to a guinea message board when i have questions. they are big propnents in treating your guineas well. since they are the first of my poultry, they will liekly always think THEY RULE ;-) guineas get along great with other fowl, though i think they should always have at least one buddy like them. if you didn't have a rooster, i would suggest a mirror. they love to look at themselves, and i think they think that is their "buddy".

i don't want them nesting in trees. we don't have many trees, and those are for the doves, scissortails, mockingbirds, blue jays, etc.

leaflady, i am surprised your one guinea isn't excessively noisy. they are when they are alone, and when they are "teenagers". mine talk to the nieghbors guineas some, and always let me know when somebody drives up, which is helpful when the dogs are sleeping! i am glad to hear you take such good care of them :-)

i dont' want any white or pied ones. when my son is old enough for 4-H, ew will have some pearl for him to show. meanwhile, i would like to get royal purple, chocolate, etc, all the fun flavors LOL

donna, since this is a new forum, start a new thread about you bantys. someone interested could miss it if you put it here. and don't forget to poke me and remind me to come look :-)

i can't wait to get peacocks and such! a friend of mine has a neighbor with a WHITE peacock! i have only seen it once, and it just stopped me in my tracks!!!

i am trying to not get anything white. we have lots of predatory birds around here, and, to me, white is just a flag that makes them all too noticeable.

tf

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2006
11:45 AM

Post #1968741

I've had guinea fowl since I bought my farm 8yrs ago (it came with two guinea and two cats).
Well... they free range and the racoons got all but one two years ago. The one left is a very
MEAN male. I named him Earl (ever hear that Dixie Chicks song "Good bye Earl"?) I hate
him! He attacks the other hens & the cats. He has selected one hen to wander around with
and if we don't let her out in the morning, he comes up to the house and scatters the cat food
on the deck and poops all over the deck. I've had dozens and dozens of guinea fowl over the
years and never had a problem like this one.

How do you get rid of a nasty Guinea?
Tam
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2006
12:58 PM

Post #1968856

Our one guinea hen is quite noisy. But the male was so mean that we never replaced him. I'm not good at sexing them and sure don't want another noisy one like Mrs. G.

What to do with a mean bird? Kill it. At least for us that seems the simplest thing to do. I don't know if that is an inheritable trait, but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2006
4:01 PM

Post #1969261

guineas are very tasty! for some recipes, go here and ask: http://www.guineafowl.com/messageboard

for the noisy one, i would just get him a mate. maybe post a request at your freecycle.org?

this morning i had to practically put the birds back on the floor to get them to start eating. i guess it's like when you wake up in an unfamiliar place LOL. they will get their toys today. loose alfalfa hay for the floor, etc.

bad night last night. about 11:30 PM my dog barked like she only does when it is serious... two HUGE black labs, which have pilfered the n eighborhood and killed fowl regularly, were tyring to get into the new house. i called the owner, and went out on patrol in my robe,,, brrrrrr it was cold, there was frost all over the ground and grass.

thanks goodness for my dog! she didn't bark again all night, but i stayed half awake to be sure!

will get another picture later!

tf

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
12:38 AM

Post #1970494

Well - I'm steeling myself to get rid of that nasty Earl! He knows I hate him and
won't let me get close.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
12:43 AM

Post #1970511

option one:
a fishing net.

option two:
grab him by the legs in the dark when he is blind...

option three:
are you good with a gun?

;-)
tf
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
12:57 AM

Post #1970538

had lots of fun with the guineas adapting to their new "house" today! i took pictures of them gawking and being funny. i will try to post those later...

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
1:08 AM

Post #1970562

Oh - and you can tell sex by their "voice". I found a website that you could play each. After that,
it was easy to tell. I'll look it up tomorrow to see if I can find it.

TamaraFaye - I've tried option two. Starting to ask around for a fishing net (don't own one) and I've
never shot a gun but my mom gave me my grandpa's old hunting rifle & DH learned how to shoot in
the air force. Option one sure is more appealing though.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
2:08 AM

Post #1970678

try option one in the dark. he sounds tricky.

thanks for mentioning the voice thing, i forgot to tell leaflady that. no one can actually sex them, at any age, they are miniscule, literally!!!

i know just where you mean [sound on my computer isn't working though!] i iwll get that link now...

tf
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
2:24 AM

Post #1970708

here is the guinea sounds link. at the bottom is a link to show pictures of adults male/female, and young keet, as well as more info about sexing them...

http://guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/sounds/

tf
lauriwilson
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2006
2:55 AM

Post #1970769

TamaraFaye I too love peacocks and have had them in the past, note had, my DH used to have a pickup with a chrome roll bar and despite all the trees, they did'nt like the chickens, they roosted on top of it, we removed it and then they decided the roofs of any vehicle was fair game. Peacock poo stains the paint bad!!! Also the "help me, help me" holler in middle of the night will scare the shorts right off ya. The last peacock and peahen left one day and they now live about 3 miles away, the food must be better. Oh and when young they taste just like pheasent... Good Luck...Lauri
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
3:12 AM

Post #1970811

i remember those cries! there was a place we visited when i was a child, Gibson Ranch, and they had many peacocks and peahens. I loved that sound! Sure beats the sound of traffic, we lived on a busy suburban through-street.

i hope to teach them to roost in the hen house, and it is pretty sound proof LOL

here are the guineas in their new home, on their comfy roost, preening themselves. I like to call it "fluff time"

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
3:20 AM

Post #1970826

and here they are finally taking notice. actually, they relaly freaked when i first put it in there. i went to get my camera, and then had to shoo them over there to get them to freak for the camera LOL

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
3:21 AM

Post #1970827

and here they are, more fluff time. i had to gently "shoo" them over to the other side of the hen-house, to see the new sandbox i made for them:

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
3:36 AM

Post #1970855

the last two pics are in reverse order. i was trying to "get more hours in the day" by p[osting photos from two browsers. but then they both took twice as long, and finished in the wrong order...

here is the next, they still don't know what to do with it. i guess they will figure it out sooner or later. i just love the way their necks suddenly get a mile long, to keep their distance from an object, or maybe to get a better angle LOL

fyi, since they don't have a yard outside, this is a box with sand in it for them to take their "dust baths", so that they can keep their feathers clean...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
3:52 AM

Post #1970884

i guess if you get tired of looking at these silly guinea photos, start a thread with photos of your own poultry. i would love to see them!

i was having a problem getting them interested in eating. actually in doing anything besides roosting, preening, and gawking. so i remembered i needed to put a mirror in there. the mirror in their cage was about 18" wide by 3 feet high. well, a bigger house, so i put in a dresser mirror. i picked a spot right opposite of their food and water dishes. then shooed them off the roost for inspection...

here are the first two after landing...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
3:57 AM

Post #1970889

now the other two have joined them. and they are "checking out" the new guineas...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
4:05 AM

Post #1970900

it is funny watching how they respond to the mirror!

here the two dominant ones begin to peck to establish who's in charge. a little difficult when the peckee pecks you right back!

notice the other two shield themselves behind the first two...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
4:15 AM

Post #1970913

now they are relaly getting after it, though more looking and less pecking...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
4:21 AM

Post #1970922

so they finally decided if this many guineas lived here, it MUST be a fun place, and went to eat!

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
4:32 AM

Post #1970940

this is what i call a Guinea Head Count!...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

Tomico
Braddock, PA

January 12, 2006
4:50 AM

Post #1970961

TamaraFaye,

Why do you only have females? I don't own any guineafowl but I have been reading quite a bit lately. I read something about guinea fowl being monogomous and mating for life. Is any of this true? The one story mentioned that they can even go into morning for thier partner. I figured If I ever raised any, they would eaten in pairs.
Just a thought.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
6:34 AM

Post #1971074

i wanted pairs. but i purchased them at 8 weeks old, so there was no way to know. the breeder intnetionally sent two that showed possible signs of being males. but it was only till recently i discovered i had four females. for a while there, thought i had one male. [read first post]

i had also read about the mating for life. but the lady who wrote a book called Gardenign with Guineas says that one cock takes care of six hens. And that they don't mate off the same pairs each Spring.

So, on my list of things this year is to order more guineas. i will likely get a mix of colors, then hope that one of the lavendars is a male. i will sell the other colors to a friend whose friend sell livestock and poultry at the flea market LOL.

i wish some of you lived closer, i would share. i think the minimum order is 25 or 30 keets.

pardon me, tomico did you say "eaten" in pairs? LOL i think you m eant something else?

i think i've had too much chocolate, gonna call it a night.

tf

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
11:25 AM

Post #1971215

hmmm... let me know if you need any help with that chocolate tf :-)

I just love watching the guinea fowl! And apparently they are good eating.

I tried the mirror but it didn't work. Glad to hear its working for you.
Enjoy those guineas!
Tam
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2006
2:37 PM

Post #1971486

I thought I posted photos of my chickens, but don't see them so guess I goofed. Anyway I will post a couple of photos of my flock of three bantys. the first one is of the rooster and black hen out in their scratch yard.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2006
2:39 PM

Post #1971490

And here is brown hen on roost. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
3:28 PM

Post #1971600

boy, he can relaly strut his stuff Donna! i can't wait to have a scratch yard, i'll be throwing all kinds of loose hay, grass clippings, kitchen scraps, etc in there!

that brown sure is pretty :-) she almost look like a wyandotte!

i was thinking, since this is new forum, and we are "welcoming" new folks to DG as well, that someone should start a chicken thread too. people who don't know what guineas are, or aren't interested, would miss out on chicken info. i can't start one, unless it is to say i don't have any yet LOL

but don't get me wrong, post as many chick pics here as you like. as far as i am concerned, they go together quite well.

i am going to request a couple of my poultry and livestock threads get moved here from farm life too.

gotta go, everybody have a good day! btw, guineas were happy to see me this morning. once i let the sunlight in, they got right to scratching and eating!!! i love that singing music they make too...

tamara
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2006
3:33 PM

Post #1973582

TamaraFaye, where is Fritch, Tex. ? I would share an order of
guineas or chickens, but I'm by Tulsa, Okla. I have posted that
if anyone in NE Okla. wanted to share an order I was interested.
So far nor response, guess no one close enough.
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2006
3:34 PM

Post #1975877

Hi Tamara! It's so nice to meet you on a Forum and thread that has NOTHING to do with hurricanes! LOL

You are having WAY too much fun with those Guineas...but I'm enjoying them right along with you. The last Guineas I saw in person was 70 years ago on my Grandfather's farm before he passed away. I loved them as a child because I was never afraid of them, unlike the HUGE rooster that chased me and spurred me in the face.

Anyway...I've loved this little walk down memory lane, and I just love the pictures and your commentary.
Pati
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2006
3:59 PM

Post #1975933

there will be more Pati! going today ot get the 20% breeder feed that they like. they have lost a little weight with eating what the feed store had last time. i told him they wouldn't eat egg layer crumbles, he says OK, then says I gabve you 16% cause i'm out of 20. well, that amounts to egg layer crumbles. they were really wasting it, dumping it, etc, so i am alomst out. since they moved into their mouse free home, where they have plenty of room to walk without stepping on their containers, it's lasting loonger, cause they aren't eating it. coudln't get them interested in corn chops much, so i gave them some of my sunflower seeds from the garden.

next step, building the yard. that will be a new thread!

then, spring time, comes release to free range, and training them to come home to roost every evening, to keep them safe!

they are getting so tame, my kids or i can walk right up to them on the roost, and stroke them once or twice before they jump down. i think they need more toys in there, they seem bored...

tf
no hurricanes here!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2006
4:00 PM

Post #1975935

there will be more Pati! going today ot get the 20% breeder feed that they like. they have lost a little weight with eating what the feed store had last time. i told him they wouldn't eat egg layer crumbles, he says OK, then says I gabve you 16% cause i'm out of 20. well, that amounts to egg layer crumbles. they were really wasting it, dumping it, etc, so i am alomst out. since they moved into their mouse free home, where they have plenty of room to walk without stepping on their containers, it's lasting loonger, cause they aren't eating it. coudln't get them interested in corn chops much, so i gave them some of my sunflower seeds from the garden.

next step, building the yard. that will be a new thread!

then, spring time, comes release to free range, and training them to come home to roost every evening, to keep them safe!

they are getting so tame, my kids or i can walk right up to them on the roost, and stroke them once or twice before they jump down. i think they need more toys in there, they seem bored...

memories are great aren't they? my last experience with poultry was at my granny's house. shy hen and mean rooster LOL

tf
no hurricanes here!
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2006
7:29 PM

Post #1976398

My computer has been in hosp. yesterday. She brought it home this morning. We had a power glitch yesterday morn. and even tho it is connected to what I thought was a good surge protector there was still a problem. She changed some of my settings and now it takes me awhile to find my pictures when i try to send a photo.

MY chicken herd of 3 are still very happy to be outside and are scratch my mulch paths. If I can find my My Pictures folder i will send a photo of chicken house. It is in the middle of my new Woodland Garden. Actually the chicken house was there first but I decided to plant around it to make my Woodland Garden, which is now 3 years old.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2006
12:30 AM

Post #1977012

that is all adorable Donna, and what a good idea to build the garden around them!

can't wait to see pics of your herd! hope that computer problem all gets straightened out, what do we do without our computers???

i will need someone to explain to me how to make the little treaded ramp to go in and out the door. i will need to cut one into my guinea house door soon...

got their preferred feed today, boy, that made them happy. i thought i was gonna have to start feeding them all my saved sunflower seeds LOL

tf
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2006
6:50 PM

Post #1983215

PeggieK, somehow i missed your post before. i would also like to share an order. i am probably about six hours drive from Tulsa, depending on which way you go. I am NE of Amarillo. dmail me, when can see if we want the same chicks...
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2006
7:03 PM

Post #1983252

Here they are this morning, happily eating their 20% feed. they just don't like egg layer [16%] i suppose that will be an issue when they get chickens for room mates...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2006
10:57 PM

Post #1983695

Wait 'til summer. They won't be eating anything much that you provide. They'll be out all day
eating bugs. When I mow the fields, the guinea hens follow me to get all the bugs the mower
kicks up. It makes me nervous when the get too close but never had an accident!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2006
12:20 AM

Post #1983834

yes! i can't wait for them to eat grasshoppers especially! and crickets and katydids too! these have been penned up so long, free ranging is going to be a fun adjustment, esp the "coming in to roost at night" part. that will be a whole new thread LOL
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2006
7:25 PM

Post #2086411

well, Eenie and Moe are lonely. The day i was terribly ill and waiting for medication, the nieghbor [not near] dog came over and i didn't even hear it. when i went out it was too late. i have asked that they pay for the birds and mend their fence. i also took pictures. and i have the papers from the ocunty office i need. they have been told if they don't agree, they will be taken to civil court, then they can also pay the court costs.

it will be quite some time before guinea keets are available again. if anyone knows of someone nearby with lavendar guineas at least half grown, please let me know.

;-(
tf
still ill, but on medicines now...
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2006
8:57 PM

Post #2086591

Oh my goodness, tf...I'm so sorry. It's bad enough being sick without having your heart broken too. I have followed this thread and enjoyed it so much. I really hope those people not only pay up, but realize how terrible the destruction that their dog caused.

Hope your medicines are working and you will be will soon.
Pati

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2006
11:10 PM

Post #2086855

yeah, talk about "heartsick"! hey, how'd you know i was ill... anyhow, small world at DG. i have many lovely and fun pictures i had not loaded yet. so when i feel up to it, i will have another thread with a tribute to Meanie and Bloomer.

oh, yeah, they are gonna pay. i was nice. i said, i wouldn't shoot your dog because he is your pet. but now your pet has eaten two of our pets, and that is HALF our flock! sometimes lazy people have to pay a price to wake up. you won't believe the pictures i took of his fence which he "says" he keeps fixing!

gott go
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2006
11:17 PM

Post #2086874

So sorry, TF.

I wish people would be responsible for their dogs.

Maybe a sign at the local farm bureau or feed store could link you up with some young keets.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2006
12:56 AM

Post #2087090

i'll ask aorund. but generally they aren't available till late may. and we have chicks on the way. what is really sad, they are accustomed to visiting with their friends in the mirror, so there aren't two missing now, but four ;-(

i am so glad i got one of the bodies before the dog came back to eat it. the one the owner retrieved fromt he yard for me was pretty much just the head...

i'm too sick too worry too much...
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2006
2:04 AM

Post #2087252

TF, I am so sorry you are sick and do pray that you will be well soon. I know exactly how you feel about the loss of your guineas.

Three years ago the neighbors dog came up to my place through my open gate and killed one of my hens and a half grown baby. I saw the dog as it was killing the young one. Called the sheriff. Officer came and talked to me and looked at the evidence then went to the neighbors and told them they would have to keep the dog in a pen and post $75,000.00 bail or get rid of the dog. Told me i could shoot it if it came on my property again. They soon got rid of the dog, but I sure felt bad that it had killed almost half of my little flock of banties.

I still wish I could get some lavender guineas, but only 2 or 3 not 25. Not many people that I know have guineas.

Wishing you good luck and better health.

DonnaS
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2006
2:20 AM

Post #2087300

thanks. the sheriff said i could have shot it if i was out there witha gun if when he did it, but that for retribution i would have a civil case. sick as i was, i went with my camera and took lots of photos, some pretty gorry, some hilarious [his "fixed" fence]. the guy said "we have your phone number", as i had left in on the door the third time we went to their house. i htink i explianed their options pretty well. it is up to them. i hope they just pay, court is time consuming, and you only get a "judgement".

p.s. i know of a good place to order them, but not till May.
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2006
5:09 PM

Post #2088546

Oh TF, I'm so sorry to hear of what has happened. I know how fond of your pets you are.
Even if they do pay, there's no amount ($$) that takes away the sadness we feel when we experience this. And even in court, who (except us poultry enthusiasts) would understand being so attached to our dear little birds.
I'm so sorry.

I noticed at Atwoods here that they have guineas. They aren't the lavender though. Just plain brown, but cute. They just came in last week. They will carry them until after Easter.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2006
6:35 PM

Post #2088745

what is atwoods?

the point of hte money and court if necessary is to paint a picture for a lazy irresponsible dog owner who has NEVER kept his fence fixed. after all, gotta protect the future poultry!

thanks for everyone's condolences. Eenie and Moe are still quite lonely and not eating/drinking much. they are not injured physically thank goodness, but are quite fearful!

tf
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2006
6:21 PM

Post #2091076

I agree, going to court will at least make them realize, It would have been better to fix the fence !! We HOPE.

Atwoods is a type of "Wal-mart of farm stores". They sell everything from feeds and hardware, to fencing & posts and Carhart clothings etc. It's a chain
store in Okla. I think there is another similar chain in other parts of the U.S.
called Tractor Supply.

Give Eenie & Moe an extra little treat-treat for us. :-(
dottik
Oakland, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2006
10:46 PM

Post #2108104

I am very thankful that Oregon is like Washington in that a dog who even chases livestock(any sort) without hurting it is eligible to be put to sleep by the county. There have been some cases that really hit the headline and where the dog has been spared but only on the proviso that it be moved to a shelter outside of our area, and can never be returned. There is no excuse for letting a dog roam free!!! Dotti
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2006
8:07 PM

Post #2110243

thanks. last night i dreamed the other two came back, and brought more birds with them LOL. then this AM i saw the wheat coming up in the window planter, that i planted for their treat. maybe those are good signs. meanwhile, i regularly drive by the neighbor's house to see if the dog has torn down the "repairs", always have my camera with me!

tf
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #4535432

another good ol guinea thread, back in the days when we were still in the farm life forum...
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #4536818

I agree with Dotti's Mar. 12, 2006 post. I have only one guinea fowl left now. Neighbors dog got into yard and killed my Lav. female guinea, and black arucana hen. Sheriff came and talked to them, they live quite a distance, maybe 1/8 mile away, but let dogs run free as do several other neighbors. They are keeping the dog tied up now but I don't trust how securely, so am having to keep my gate closed which is a bother. That happened after she had laid 30 eggs in a hidden nest and was setting on them. I found the nest but was too late.

My Pied guinea guy was very lonely and still is. i bought two young guineas , the owner didn't know their sex and neither did I. that didn't work out as one of the new ones flew over my fence and never saw it again. A great horned owl got the other.

Have had to keep the guinea guy and my 5 bantys shut up in chicken house since first of Dec. Cold and too much snow on the ground.

Donna

Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #4536943

We had ducks back in FL (Pekins?), and kept them in our pool enclosure in a big box. We would take them out each day to swim in the lake and one day they simply would not return to shore. They made friends with some wild Muscovies and went back and forth between a couple of houses on the lake. One by one over the course of a year, they disappeared. The last one was named Eddy, and he was around for a couple of years. He hung out with the ugliest, meanest Muscovie. I think Eddy was the Muscovie's love interest.
Photographer
Moxee, WA
(Zone 4a)

February 14, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #4537163

Donna, Happy Valentines Day! I hope your kids and grandkids are keeping you warm and fuzzy this cold February day. The snow is 99% disappeared from the hills here. We've had a wetter than normal winter but nothing cold to compare with 2005 when there were -20f degree mornings. Our paperwhites are protruding from the ground. The rabbits must be enjoying eating them as they seem to disappear every few days. Our poultry flock is reasonably insulated from marauding dogs. They have to walk down our 1/4 mile driveway and then come through a small opening. Even then they still must jump into or dig under the chicken enclosure. If they make the mistake of coming onto the property ... they seldom find their way home. We haven't had a loose dog on the property in more than a year. The neighbors with dogs have figured out that they must be confined or they have to keep replacing their dogs. I'm like most everyone else out here ... loose dogs are a threat to livestock and are simply not tolerated. We have 2 neighbors with thoroughbred horses. You can imagine how much he appreciates dogs bothering his property.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #4540316

Hi Photographer, Dogs are certainly a pest when owners don't take proper care of them. Cats are even worse. There is a dangerous dog law here but nothing about cats. I am going to try live trapping. It is really odd this year more snow here than up by Palmer Lake and Nighthawk. There is practically no snow up there on south sides of mountains and not much on north side, and here there is still at least 6-8 inches of snow in undisturbed areas. lots of snow around my house where cleaned off of roof.

And Happy valentines day to you too. None of my grandkids live near me and I don't have any great grands. My youngest son and wife live 6 hours away, Lake Tapps, and are empty nesters now.

This is how it looked last week west of my house toward the chicken house.

Thumbnail by rutholive

granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

February 15, 2008
12:08 PM

Post #4541030

How pretty.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #4542748

Pam that is funny, but sad too. We have muscovies, i kno what you mean abou tthe ugly part LOL I can just imagine a cross with a pekin...

Donna, my toes get cold just looking at your picture!

Photographer [don?], glad to hear your flocks are still well.

We had to start over completely. The last two guineas decided to live with the nieghbor's flock. She had always wanted lavendars. But by the end of 2006 i had ordered a new batch of keets. I was pregnant and INSISTED to new DH that we were gonna be tick free!!! So far so good. But our male lavendar was missing for two weeks, suddenly showed up with a broken leg. No other injuries, didn't lose any weight... So he just stays in the hen house...

tf
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

February 15, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #4542957

Well, we got another six inches of snow last night. That was on top of the foot we already had on the ground. Right now the sun is shining, but not doing any melting as the temps are dropping. It is expected to go below zero again tonite. So TF, I guess your toes would be cold here, too. :o))
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #4543117

socks aren't enough, no wthat i have to make a trip to town [100miles round trip] to pick up some 3 day ol dchicks... i am beside myself with excitmetn, poking holes in the box now!
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

February 15, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #4543359

Yep, I can tell you are eggsited. Have fun with the chicks. I am envious because I can't get mine yet due to the weather.
Texasescimo
Argyle, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #4543759

Rutholive, that is beautiful snow. Don't see much around here.
grahamia
Burlington
Canada

May 15, 2008
5:26 AM

Post #4953503

Hello to guinea fans, I just read through this thread, going back to 2006.
I'm in process of getting guineas, keets from a local fancier, for bug control in my new gardens, (this is a start up homestead, near Hamilton ON, Canada). A bit worried about the noise these birds will make, bothering neighbours. Have 6 chickens now. have read that guineas are aggressive towards chickens, so should not roost together, but I read some of you put them in the same pen.
I'll pen them for 6 weeks, no outside time, till they get habituated to home, so they are less likely to fly off and not return.
they are great bug eaters, but gardeners need beneficials too, don't they get the same treatment from guineas as the bad guys? and what about gypsy moth caterpillars? I would LOVE it if they will eat them, since we are bracing for a big infestation here this year.

Ian in dundas 5b.

Thumbnail by grahamia

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2008
11:36 AM

Post #4953824

Ian, I now after neighbors dog killed my pretty Lavender Guinea fowl hen, have only the 1Pied Guinea male. He sleeps in the chicken house with my old Bantam rooster and old Auracana hen, and 2 younger black banty hens. No problem. Now I am keeping them all enclosed in either ,their choice, the wire enclosed chicken yard or attached chicken house. Letting them out late afternoon. They were doing too much scratching.

The two young black banties lay eggs, actually more than I eat so give some to my sister. The Guinea Guy, eats lots of grass seed and is looking for bugs all the time.

DonnaS
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #4954817

the only agression we have, or have ever had, is a male that injured his leg. it is breeding season and he can't keep up with the guinea gals, so he keeps chasing the young Plymouth Barred Rocks, i guess they look like guineas to him LOL

ihello, Ian, nice looking farm! it doesn't look to me like your neighbors are close enough for you to be concerned. just be sure you dont' end up with more guineas than what your acreage can support, or they will go eat at the neighbors... about 1-3 per acre...

they make lots of sounds. we dont' find it annoying, and our neighbors don't complain. but if our guineas were hunting around in their garden, or sitting on their patio looking at their "friends" reflection and pooping everywhere, that could be a problem.

so i make sure they have access to the same food all the poultry does. and they roost in there because they were raised in there, and i think the chickens accept them for the same reason. if we were to get another batch of guineas, we might set them up in another palce, like the old horse barn. that way they would be a separate flock, and would likely feed out on the other side of the porperty.

can't say for caterpillars. we usually catch and keep them till they become butterflies, then trun them loose. i don't think they eat beneficials but can't say for sure.

a great place for more answers is:
http://www.guineafowl.com

tf

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #4957164

I mixed my chickens & guineas when I had both. And my guineas toured the
neighborhood & the neighbors kept telling me how much they enjoyed the visit.
The only one annoyed by their noise was DH (and sometimes me).

And that is one fine looking property!

Tam
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2008
5:35 AM

Post #4958492

Tamara I really like those cinder block walls. Did your husband build that for you? I was just wondering how difficult it might be. I sure want my baby chicks to have a safe place to live.

Karen
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2008
6:00 AM

Post #4958516

it was built back when i was a kid... was a tack room on one side and storage on the other. then the tack room became junky storage, and then all of it did. after i moved back here, i cleaned it all out so i could have chickens, and it worked perfectly! see the poopy drawers thread to see what DH is building.

he gets lots of credit for stuff i had done before he came, i am getting used to it LOL...

the building has a cement floor. the blocks are 8" and not filled in. then just a basic roof. i will update hi sbuilding thread soon. he finished the wiring today and will get back on the other pens tomorrow. makes a world of difference to actually have light fixtures and switches and outlets!!!

Karen, google self sufficent life chicken coops. they have a good plan, we paid seven dollars for it and used the ideas to build ours...
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #5006035

this is now our henhouse. we have nesting boxes where the mirror is, and a wire brooder cage where those LONG wooden roosts are. in the corner where the guineas are eating is the hen haven. and there will be a door there soon for easier access from the shed-side.

those four guineas are no longer. we are down to seven guineas now, some seem to be turning up in the neighbors pen... they have to sleep outside on the roof of the coop until the chicks are older, the mamahens RULE THE ROOST!

my favorite color has to be slate blue. i need more guineas. don't tell DH...

tf
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

May 26, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5006995

Hi, TF. Just moved our guineas from the brooder (rabbit cage) to the pen in the garage. We had moved the teenagers to the temporary henhouse outside last week. DH made a divider panel so we could make the pen into two pens for the chicks to see each other but not get mixed up with them. I noticed I have two larger brown guineas, six what looks like lavenders, and one who looks like a pied. But, the pied is a very light color with white sides and white wings. I got them from Ideal, and lost one.

The roosters they sent with them look like they are Buff Orpingtons. LOL. And what was that I was saying about not wanting any more Buff roosters? I guess God decided I needed some more. Hopefully these will grow up to be gentle giants like so many people say they are. I am thinking of keeping two for breeding so I can get larger dual purpose birds without having to buy chicks or eggs to incubate.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2008
5:23 AM

Post #5008633

yes, ahtching out your own eggs has a higher rate of reward!

so, the pied it sound slike is not a pearl pied? pied can be any color, they just cross that color with white, and you get pied+that color. the lavedars are the slowest growing, they will always seem small till they reach their full size at three years of age.

do you really have a bronw one? or is it a dark pearl?

chocolate is my favorite new color!

tf
LOL on your new Buff's!
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

May 27, 2008
10:10 AM

Post #5008890

The dark ones might be a dark pearl, they are also quite a bit larger than the others. In fact, they are larger than the chicks. The pied one might be a lavender pied. Don't know until they get larger. Will try to get pics and post them.

One thing about the Buffs, they won't be around long enough to get very mean if they do get mean. Since I found out that roosters are only viable through their first year and a half, they will be going into the pot sooner than Tawny did. These will be culled next fall (not this year). That should eliminate the problem we had with him. At least I hope so.

Now if we could only get rid of the problem we are having with the teenagers, life would be all the better. They stay in their house all day and then when it starts getting dark, they all come out and huddle in a corner of the coop. Crazy kids.

GG
:-)
Patchouli78
Foley, MO

May 27, 2008
12:24 PM

Post #5009197

I know this is off topic, but still about guineas... Saturday I was driving to my mother's, and passed a pearl guinea on the other side of the highway going the opposite way. So, I said look kids, a guinea!!!! (They had not seen one yet) Then I turned my car around much to my ""other halfs" dismay, and drove behind the guinea. Then I proceeded to get out of the car and chase it down the highway. Needless to say the guinea ran away from me in a hurry and I returned empty handed. My DB was sooooo relieved! My kids were laughing so I think I might have looked a bit silly.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #5010673

oh, you looked silly allright, LMBO! guineas love running with cars and bicycles, they like shiny things and their refletions..

GG, thos ebigger ones are French Guineas. they will make great eating!
Patchouli78
Foley, MO

May 27, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #5010719

Aha, I should've pulled out my compact and lured it with its reflection, lol : )
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #5010721

ex-actly! funny you thought you could catch it by chasing it, those things are FAST!
Patchouli78
Foley, MO

May 27, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #5010835

Well, I though maybe I could talk everyone into cornering it, but no one was interested in running down the highway with me. I have never had guineas, I figured they were quick. I was supposed to get them this year, but since I got the duck and ordered more, they will have to wait another year (sigh).
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2008
6:52 PM

Post #5010873

soundslike my turkey plans...
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

May 28, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5012147

No ducks, no turkeys, no geese for us. Just guineas and chicks. Am having enough fun with the chicks and keets so that is where it is going to stay. Besides, DH is the one said get keets. At least he is willing to get them.

This from a man who said he wasn't going to farm ever again. He grew up on a farm, went to the city, got a job in a factory and stayed there until retirement. So, when I said I wanted chickens, he understood because of the egg problem we had then.

GG
whatsupdoc
Gainesville, FL

May 28, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5012284

Those are pretty chickens, Tamara.

I have really been busy catching up with spring cleaning and house ,garden and yard work that has been ignored this past couple weeks.

Ducks are slowing getting feathers. So far the have dark brown and white chest.Still a mystery of what they are ,but maybe after they get all feathered out, mystery will be solved.

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2008
5:13 AM

Post #5013714

hope so!
Texasescimo
Argyle, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #5055158

This post has been going for a long time. I have read parts of it several times. Did you ever get more guineas? Do they sleep inside in the summer?
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5057270

I wish I could find a Lavender female guinea. There aren't many guineas available in my area. And no Lavender ones that I know of. It sure was bad luck that the neighbors dog killed my nice female one. they were a happy pair, and now that I can't find a friend for my Pied Guinea, he is unhappy.

DonnaS
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

June 5, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #5059099

Donna, when I ordered an assortment from Ideal, I got mostly lavenders. At least that is what I think they are. Since I got the assortment, they didn't name the kinds I got. Only what they had on hand. I got10 plus 10 chickie roos of some kind of yellow breed. I ended up with 1 pied, 2 what someone called french guineas, and 6 what looks like lavender. (one keet died). You could do the same thing from one of the hatcheries that send small orders.

GG
Texasescimo
Argyle, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #5059493

I bought my last set of guinea eggs on EBAY from fowlrus. At the bottom is the feedback that I left them. I had several pied, a couple of light blue (almost white), a couple of chocolate, a couple of pearl, and others that I can't remember. I only have 7 left. Their guineas are free range, so no telling what you end up with. Snakes love eggs.

Very good fertility rate. Good color variety. Cute. Good packaging. Thanks. A+++ Seller: fowlrus ( 172) Sep-21-07 04:31
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2008
4:37 AM

Post #5061314

yes! the story kinda continued into me finisihing the inside of the guinea house, oredering chicks, then getting assistance with the rest of the henhouse from a man i then married! so now we have LOTS of fowl, most of whom share the main henhouse.

DH wanted to slow down the acquisition of more fowl, but once i discovered i was incubating my own little guy, i insisted ont eh guineas and bougth them in the fall. they didn't grow as well, without anything to forage on in the winter, but we have nine [two were gone nesting, but just came back]

i have three pearl, 1 slate blue, and five lavendar. temporatily they are roosting on the sides of the coop. we put a roof on, and curretnly with all those baby chicks and younguns and teenagers in there, i thought it easier fo rthe guineas to stay out. there is a ledge on the roof that shields them from the sitght of night flying predators, and then they can be the first ones out in the morning, besides the ducsk, who get up REAL early.

once i let them in again, i will have to spend a few night retraining them to go in... and then they will again.

we didn't name any of the guineas, ducks or geese this time. hard enough keeping up with all the chicken nmaes LOL
Patchouli78
Foley, MO

June 7, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #5068092

I can't wait till next spring. I'm ordering a guinea in each color!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5068109

i just ordered 10 pearl keets. i don't prefer that color, but it's just in case i don't get a good hatch... they were only 2 bucks a piece from griffiths. i htink i posted their phone number in the thread by ladybugsabound
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

June 7, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5068926

You did..

GG

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM
A homemade egg incubator........maybe. PeggieK 96 Jun 26, 2008 1:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America