Guineas moved into new home

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

We have four lavendar guineas, just over five months old, and they FINALLY got moved into their new home :-)

All are females, named Eenie, Meanie [she pecks], Bloomer, and Moe. OK, so the third one WAS named Miney, then when he didn't puh-peep with the others, i thought i had a male, adn began to call him Miner. Later, he stopped honking so much and started doing the two syllable puh-peep, [also called, "come-back", which can only be made by females]. So, SHE was a late bloomer, thus her odd name. Or maybe you think the others have the odd name LOL

rats, i forgot to take a picture. i carried two birds at a time. [mine have had some handling, so stay relatively calm, or maybe stunned] the first two just stood around and gawked and pooped. the second two did the same at first, but they were the more dominant ones [harder to catch too!], and they got into the groove faster. they didn't hardly touch their food, but went right to the roosts i built for them.

when i went to close their door for the night, they still couldnt' make up their mind where they were sleeping, back and forth they flew! so i felt pity on them and left my spotlight in there until they get settled. when i go to check on them, and to see if the recharger thingy went out, i will take a quick picture.

meanwhile, here are "the birds" when we had a REALLY cold spell. it was just before Thanksgiving, and it was below zero at night, seven degrees in the day, wand the wind was from the east. their outdoor cage was in the carport, which is open to the east, and i coudl not bEAR the thought of stressing or losing them, and was unsure whether we would get ice with the storm [we did]. so i made a place for them in our un-finished dining room! it was great!!! the weather warmed up to put them back out, just as they were getting comfortable enough to consider exploring the household LOL

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Liked reading about your guineas and experiences. I have never had guineas. Here I now have 1 fairly large banty type rooster and two hens, all are about 5 years old. They live in a prebuilt shed, 8 x8 feet, with a connected8 x 8 ft. chicken wire fenced yard. Dec. was so cold that they were not allowed out of their chicken house. It has a suspended heat lamp just above their roost for heat. Today was the first time I let them out into the garden and were they happy. The temp today after morning wind and rain, when the sun came out reached 50 degrees.

DonnaS

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

her they are., all nestled and snug. they always roost together like this, very TIGHT group lol.

they will have a wire pen. when i get osmeone to dig the holes for me!

the inside is three cinderblock walls, one stud wall. they have a door and a glass storm door, so they will get direct sun in the daytime. i dont' have electricty out there. i ran three cords, for power tools, but put those up today. i want to get the solar night lights installed. no point increasing our already high electric bills LOL

mine won't be free ranging till spring, when the first bugs come out!

Donna, would love to hear more aobut your three babies...

tf

here they are, looking around again. they seemed ocntent, didn't jump while i was opening the doors, so i brought my spotlight back in to recharge...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We just have one guinea, a hen named Mrs. G. She is about 5 or 6 years old. I only keep one around to eat the ticks in the yard. They are too noisy and aggressive to have more. Ours is the old fashioned color. I do like the Lavender and Lilacs ones. We only had one white one, a male who was so mean that we got rid of him rather quickly.

Guinea fowl are really very hardy. Most people don't even have shelter for them tho I personally think that is not a very good way to treat them. Ours live with the ducks, geese, peacock, banty chickens, & pigeons.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Do you suppose if I could find a young lavender guinea it would get along with my older banties. TamaraFaye I think yours are so pretty.

Tomorrow I will try to take a photo of my three banties. Only the black banty hen lays eggs and she isn't laying many. I think getting too old. DonnaS

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Donna, I SURE DO! i go to a guinea message board when i have questions. they are big propnents in treating your guineas well. since they are the first of my poultry, they will liekly always think THEY RULE ;-) guineas get along great with other fowl, though i think they should always have at least one buddy like them. if you didn't have a rooster, i would suggest a mirror. they love to look at themselves, and i think they think that is their "buddy".

i don't want them nesting in trees. we don't have many trees, and those are for the doves, scissortails, mockingbirds, blue jays, etc.

leaflady, i am surprised your one guinea isn't excessively noisy. they are when they are alone, and when they are "teenagers". mine talk to the nieghbors guineas some, and always let me know when somebody drives up, which is helpful when the dogs are sleeping! i am glad to hear you take such good care of them :-)

i dont' want any white or pied ones. when my son is old enough for 4-H, ew will have some pearl for him to show. meanwhile, i would like to get royal purple, chocolate, etc, all the fun flavors LOL

donna, since this is a new forum, start a new thread about you bantys. someone interested could miss it if you put it here. and don't forget to poke me and remind me to come look :-)

i can't wait to get peacocks and such! a friend of mine has a neighbor with a WHITE peacock! i have only seen it once, and it just stopped me in my tracks!!!

i am trying to not get anything white. we have lots of predatory birds around here, and, to me, white is just a flag that makes them all too noticeable.

tf

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I've had guinea fowl since I bought my farm 8yrs ago (it came with two guinea and two cats).
Well... they free range and the racoons got all but one two years ago. The one left is a very
MEAN male. I named him Earl (ever hear that Dixie Chicks song "Good bye Earl"?) I hate
him! He attacks the other hens & the cats. He has selected one hen to wander around with
and if we don't let her out in the morning, he comes up to the house and scatters the cat food
on the deck and poops all over the deck. I've had dozens and dozens of guinea fowl over the
years and never had a problem like this one.

How do you get rid of a nasty Guinea?
Tam

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Our one guinea hen is quite noisy. But the male was so mean that we never replaced him. I'm not good at sexing them and sure don't want another noisy one like Mrs. G.

What to do with a mean bird? Kill it. At least for us that seems the simplest thing to do. I don't know if that is an inheritable trait, but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

guineas are very tasty! for some recipes, go here and ask: www.guineafowl.com/messageboard

for the noisy one, i would just get him a mate. maybe post a request at your freecycle.org?

this morning i had to practically put the birds back on the floor to get them to start eating. i guess it's like when you wake up in an unfamiliar place LOL. they will get their toys today. loose alfalfa hay for the floor, etc.

bad night last night. about 11:30 PM my dog barked like she only does when it is serious... two HUGE black labs, which have pilfered the n eighborhood and killed fowl regularly, were tyring to get into the new house. i called the owner, and went out on patrol in my robe,,,,, brrrrrr it was cold, there was frost all over the ground and grass.

thanks goodness for my dog! she didn't bark again all night, but i stayed half awake to be sure!

will get another picture later!

tf

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Well - I'm steeling myself to get rid of that nasty Earl! He knows I hate him and
won't let me get close.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

option one:
a fishing net.

option two:
grab him by the legs in the dark when he is blind...

option three:
are you good with a gun?

;-)
tf

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

had lots of fun with the guineas adapting to their new "house" today! i took pictures of them gawking and being funny. i will try to post those later...

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh - and you can tell sex by their "voice". I found a website that you could play each. After that,
it was easy to tell. I'll look it up tomorrow to see if I can find it.

TamaraFaye - I've tried option two. Starting to ask around for a fishing net (don't own one) and I've
never shot a gun but my mom gave me my grandpa's old hunting rifle & DH learned how to shoot in
the air force. Option one sure is more appealing though.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

try option one in the dark. he sounds tricky.

thanks for mentioning the voice thing, i forgot to tell leaflady that. no one can actually sex them, at any age, they are miniscule, literally!!!

i know just where you mean [sound on my computer isn't working though!] i iwll get that link now...

tf

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

here is the guinea sounds link. at the bottom is a link to show pictures of adults male/female, and young keet, as well as more info about sexing them...

http://guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/sounds/

tf

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

TamaraFaye I too love peacocks and have had them in the past, note had, my DH used to have a pickup with a chrome roll bar and despite all the trees, they did'nt like the chickens, they roosted on top of it, we removed it and then they decided the roofs of any vehicle was fair game. Peacock poo stains the paint bad!!! Also the "help me, help me" holler in middle of the night will scare the shorts right off ya. The last peacock and peahen left one day and they now live about 3 miles away, the food must be better. Oh and when young they taste just like pheasent.... Good Luck...Lauri

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i remember those cries! there was a place we visited when i was a child, Gibson Ranch, and they had many peacocks and peahens. I loved that sound! Sure beats the sound of traffic, we lived on a busy suburban through-street.

i hope to teach them to roost in the hen house, and it is pretty sound proof LOL

here are the guineas in their new home, on their comfy roost, preening themselves. I like to call it "fluff time"

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

and here they are finally taking notice. actually, they relaly freaked when i first put it in there. i went to get my camera, and then had to shoo them over there to get them to freak for the camera LOL

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

and here they are, more fluff time. i had to gently "shoo" them over to the other side of the hen-house, to see the new sandbox i made for them:

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

the last two pics are in reverse order. i was trying to "get more hours in the day" by p[osting photos from two browsers. but then they both took twice as long, and finished in the wrong order...

here is the next, they still don't know what to do with it. i guess they will figure it out sooner or later. i just love the way their necks suddenly get a mile long, to keep their distance from an object, or maybe to get a better angle LOL

fyi, since they don't have a yard outside, this is a box with sand in it for them to take their "dust baths", so that they can keep their feathers clean...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i guess if you get tired of looking at these silly guinea photos, start a thread with photos of your own poultry. i would love to see them!

i was having a problem getting them interested in eating. actually in doing anything besides roosting, preening, and gawking. so i remembered i needed to put a mirror in there. the mirror in their cage was about 18" wide by 3 feet high. well, a bigger house, so i put in a dresser mirror. i picked a spot right opposite of their food and water dishes. then shooed them off the roost for inspection...

here are the first two after landing...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

now the other two have joined them. and they are "checking out" the new guineas...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

it is funny watching how they respond to the mirror!

here the two dominant ones begin to peck to establish who's in charge. a little difficult when the peckee pecks you right back!

notice the other two shield themselves behind the first two...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

now they are relaly getting after it, though more looking and less pecking...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

so they finally decided if this many guineas lived here, it MUST be a fun place, and went to eat!

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

this is what i call a Guinea Head Count!...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Braddock, PA

TamaraFaye,

Why do you only have females? I don't own any guineafowl but I have been reading quite a bit lately. I read something about guinea fowl being monogomous and mating for life. Is any of this true? The one story mentioned that they can even go into morning for thier partner. I figured If I ever raised any, they would eaten in pairs.
Just a thought.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i wanted pairs. but i purchased them at 8 weeks old, so there was no way to know. the breeder intnetionally sent two that showed possible signs of being males. but it was only till recently i discovered i had four females. for a while there, thought i had one male. [read first post]

i had also read about the mating for life. but the lady who wrote a book called Gardenign with Guineas says that one cock takes care of six hens. And that they don't mate off the same pairs each Spring.

So, on my list of things this year is to order more guineas. i will likely get a mix of colors, then hope that one of the lavendars is a male. i will sell the other colors to a friend whose friend sell livestock and poultry at the flea market LOL.

i wish some of you lived closer, i would share. i think the minimum order is 25 or 30 keets.

pardon me, tomico did you say "eaten" in pairs? LOL i think you m eant something else?

i think i've had too much chocolate, gonna call it a night.

tf

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

hmmm... let me know if you need any help with that chocolate tf :-)

I just love watching the guinea fowl! And apparently they are good eating.

I tried the mirror but it didn't work. Glad to hear its working for you.
Enjoy those guineas!
Tam

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I thought I posted photos of my chickens, but don't see them so guess I goofed. Anyway I will post a couple of photos of my flock of three bantys. the first one is of the rooster and black hen out in their scratch yard.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

And here is brown hen on roost. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

boy, he can relaly strut his stuff Donna! i can't wait to have a scratch yard, i'll be throwing all kinds of loose hay, grass clippings, kitchen scraps, etc in there!

that brown sure is pretty :-) she almost look like a wyandotte!

i was thinking, since this is new forum, and we are "welcoming" new folks to DG as well, that someone should start a chicken thread too. people who don't know what guineas are, or aren't interested, would miss out on chicken info. i can't start one, unless it is to say i don't have any yet LOL

but don't get me wrong, post as many chick pics here as you like. as far as i am concerned, they go together quite well.

i am going to request a couple of my poultry and livestock threads get moved here from farm life too.

gotta go, everybody have a good day! btw, guineas were happy to see me this morning. once i let the sunlight in, they got right to scratching and eating!!! i love that singing music they make too...

tamara

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

TamaraFaye, where is Fritch, Tex. ? I would share an order of
guineas or chickens, but I'm by Tulsa, Okla. I have posted that
if anyone in NE Okla. wanted to share an order I was interested.
So far nor response, guess no one close enough.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Tamara! It's so nice to meet you on a Forum and thread that has NOTHING to do with hurricanes! LOL

You are having WAY too much fun with those Guineas......but I'm enjoying them right along with you. The last Guineas I saw in person was 70 years ago on my Grandfather's farm before he passed away. I loved them as a child because I was never afraid of them, unlike the HUGE rooster that chased me and spurred me in the face.

Anyway......I've loved this little walk down memory lane, and I just love the pictures and your commentary.
Pati

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

there will be more Pati! going today ot get the 20% breeder feed that they like. they have lost a little weight with eating what the feed store had last time. i told him they wouldn't eat egg layer crumbles, he says OK, then says I gabve you 16% cause i'm out of 20. well, that amounts to egg layer crumbles. they were really wasting it, dumping it, etc, so i am alomst out. since they moved into their mouse free home, where they have plenty of room to walk without stepping on their containers, it's lasting loonger, cause they aren't eating it. coudln't get them interested in corn chops much, so i gave them some of my sunflower seeds from the garden.

next step, building the yard. that will be a new thread!

then, spring time, comes release to free range, and training them to come home to roost every evening, to keep them safe!

they are getting so tame, my kids or i can walk right up to them on the roost, and stroke them once or twice before they jump down. i think they need more toys in there, they seem bored...

tf
no hurricanes here!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

there will be more Pati! going today ot get the 20% breeder feed that they like. they have lost a little weight with eating what the feed store had last time. i told him they wouldn't eat egg layer crumbles, he says OK, then says I gabve you 16% cause i'm out of 20. well, that amounts to egg layer crumbles. they were really wasting it, dumping it, etc, so i am alomst out. since they moved into their mouse free home, where they have plenty of room to walk without stepping on their containers, it's lasting loonger, cause they aren't eating it. coudln't get them interested in corn chops much, so i gave them some of my sunflower seeds from the garden.

next step, building the yard. that will be a new thread!

then, spring time, comes release to free range, and training them to come home to roost every evening, to keep them safe!

they are getting so tame, my kids or i can walk right up to them on the roost, and stroke them once or twice before they jump down. i think they need more toys in there, they seem bored...

memories are great aren't they? my last experience with poultry was at my granny's house. shy hen and mean rooster LOL

tf
no hurricanes here!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

My computer has been in hosp. yesterday. She brought it home this morning. We had a power glitch yesterday morn. and even tho it is connected to what I thought was a good surge protector there was still a problem. She changed some of my settings and now it takes me awhile to find my pictures when i try to send a photo.

MY chicken herd of 3 are still very happy to be outside and are scratch my mulch paths. If I can find my My Pictures folder i will send a photo of chicken house. It is in the middle of my new Woodland Garden. Actually the chicken house was there first but I decided to plant around it to make my Woodland Garden, which is now 3 years old.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

that is all adorable Donna, and what a good idea to build the garden around them!

can't wait to see pics of your herd! hope that computer problem all gets straightened out, what do we do without our computers???

i will need someone to explain to me how to make the little treaded ramp to go in and out the door. i will need to cut one into my guinea house door soon...

got their preferred feed today, boy, that made them happy. i thought i was gonna have to start feeding them all my saved sunflower seeds LOL

tf

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

PeggieK, somehow i missed your post before. i would also like to share an order. i am probably about six hours drive from Tulsa, depending on which way you go. I am NE of Amarillo. dmail me, when can see if we want the same chicks...

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Here they are this morning, happily eating their 20% feed. they just don't like egg layer [16%] i suppose that will be an issue when they get chickens for room mates...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.