Howdy -

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Just saying hello I am over here and loving digging up my past! I have our family tree back in to the 1500s in Ireland, and the 1800 in the Cherokee Nation. How far back do you go?

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Mitch!

I have a copy of a geneology on my mom's side that goes back England in the 1800's, I'll have to look at it again. It stops just before I was born. I'm looking forward to learning on this forum, about how to go about doing geneology research. I'd really like to look into my Dad's family - he was the only son of an only son, those Kennedys came to the states through Canada. That's almost all I know.
:-)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

A little late but if your still around, hello. My husband actually has a geneology sheet that goes back to Adam...amazing. But once you get into royality there's an actual line through the geneology in the bible. I don't know all the exacts just that an Uncle who is an expert geneologist sent this to him. Somer~

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Very amazing - who in the Bible do you start with? We have two connections to the Bible one going to Adam in the OT and the other a NT woman.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

One chart of my maternal ancestors goes back to the 1300's in Scotland, but some of the very early entries look "iffy" to me. There is so much material here in North America since the early 1700's that my brother and I are kept busy searching and sorting. Yuska

P.S. MitchF, an article in today's paper laments that the Cherokee language is fading into obscurity. Of the Five Civilized tribes, the Cherokees had the only written language and it was uniquely developed for them.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

The Cherokee alphabet has 86 characters, I believe, and was invented by Sequoyah who published a Cherokee newspaper (( named the "Cherokee Advocate", I believe)) . The other 4 civilized tribes were the Creek, Choctaw, Chickasaw & Seminole. All the other tribes were designated Plains Indians. That's what I remember from my OK history as a child in school there.

LarryD

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

My grandparents' families settled in Indian Territory starting about 1880 and leased land from members of Chickasaw Nation. The Cherokee Nation was placed to the northeast of that area with its capitol at Tahlequah.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

yuska..... My paternal grandmother was born in 1891 in the Chickasaw Nation. Her uncle was a Deputy U.S. Marshal from Ft. Smith.

LarryD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.