I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

anyone have secret for holding wick strieght?

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi veeja,

The easiest way is to attach the bottom of your wick to a metal wick tab (craft stores often sell them) and attach it to the bottom of the container with a little hot wax or even hot glue. When that has set, tie the top of your wick to a dowel, skewer, pencil ---- whatever you have on hand that will span the top of the container. Tie it tight enough to hold the wick straight, but not so tight as to pull the tab off the bottom of the container. Now pour the rest of your wax.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

McCool said what I would I was going to say, good explanation. You you use the tabs off of pop cans as a wick tab. They work great.

Crossville, TN

Mine is the same answer...except I have been know to tie a "nut" (as in nut and bolt) to the bottom to weight it down...Jo

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info, I will be trying my first ones soon. little chubby propel bottles are my favorite

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

My daughter recently sold this website and business because she just didn't have time for it all. The gourd masks are hers, tho I expect her to quit making those too. http://www.soyforthesoul.com/index.html I've never known anyone to make candles in plastic containers. Aren't Propel bottles plastic? I would be afraid I'd burn the house down.

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

I find plastic bottles work great, I cut them off with a box cutter.real nice candles

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Okay, I'm following you. You are using these things for molds. Duh!! Give me some time, I'll wake up.

Ramona, CA

Newbie to this site, and I do soap&candles too. You know I was desperate the last time I made candles and used the roofing nails (left over from our new roof job) for wick holders. I was using zinc wicking so it had body and wrapped around the short nail just fine. On the flat part of the nail I used some kind of grey putty stuff my Husband had in the garage to hold the nail flat as it would get, and overall it was nearly flat. After the candles hardened the putty came right off the flat part of the nail head. Desparate is desparate and the only drawback was the last 1/2 of the candle or so wouldn't burn because the wick was used up and left the nail sitting there waving at me. Well re-melting process always takes out the junk anyway. So I always have more wick holders (the roofing nails) if I run out of the metal wick holders. The putty stuff was great. This next time I am going to use Plumbers Putty...it doesn't harden either. The grey stuff stays soft in a ziplock bag too. I am 40 miles from the craft shop and had to find an alternative. It worked.

Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

What's the quickest/easiest way to get all the wax from the glass candle holders? someone is always giving me these candles and i like to clean them up and give them to my daughter and she gives them to a candle maker friend to reuse. It never occured to me before that they may not have to be cleaned out???? does it? I don't like to give messy stuff so I spend a lot of time cleaning
Many thanks

Crossville, TN

I think I have heard that freezing them will make the wax easier to get out...but am not real sure about that...CRS you know. Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images