-
AuthorContent
veeja3
Renton, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2006
2:45 AM

Post #1968275

anyone have secret for holding wick strieght?
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2006
3:14 AM

Post #1968342

Hi veeja,

The easiest way is to attach the bottom of your wick to a metal wick tab (craft stores often sell them) and attach it to the bottom of the container with a little hot wax or even hot glue. When that has set, tie the top of your wick to a dowel, skewer, pencil ---- whatever you have on hand that will span the top of the container. Tie it tight enough to hold the wick straight, but not so tight as to pull the tab off the bottom of the container. Now pour the rest of your wax.
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2006
10:25 PM

Post #1970149

McCool said what I would I was going to say, good explanation. You you use the tabs off of pop cans as a wick tab. They work great.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2006
1:06 AM

Post #1972788

Mine is the same answer...except I have been know to tie a "nut" (as in nut and bolt) to the bottom to weight it down...Jo
veeja3
Renton, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2006
4:31 AM

Post #1973183

Thanks for the info, I will be trying my first ones soon. little chubby propel bottles are my favorite
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2006
11:51 PM

Post #2143472

My daughter recently sold this website and business because she just didn't have time for it all. The gourd masks are hers, tho I expect her to quit making those too. http://www.soyforthesoul.com/index.html I've never known anyone to make candles in plastic containers. Aren't Propel bottles plastic? I would be afraid I'd burn the house down.
veeja3
Renton, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2006
2:11 AM

Post #2143829

I find plastic bottles work great, I cut them off with a box cutter.real nice candles
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2006
2:01 PM

Post #2199629

Okay, I'm following you. You are using these things for molds. Duh!! Give me some time, I'll wake up.
Toffy
Ramona, CA

June 5, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #3576155

Newbie to this site, and I do soap&candles too. You know I was desperate the last time I made candles and used the roofing nails (left over from our new roof job) for wick holders. I was using zinc wicking so it had body and wrapped around the short nail just fine. On the flat part of the nail I used some kind of grey putty stuff my Husband had in the garage to hold the nail flat as it would get, and overall it was nearly flat. After the candles hardened the putty came right off the flat part of the nail head. Desparate is desparate and the only drawback was the last 1/2 of the candle or so wouldn't burn because the wick was used up and left the nail sitting there waving at me. Well re-melting process always takes out the junk anyway. So I always have more wick holders (the roofing nails) if I run out of the metal wick holders. The putty stuff was great. This next time I am going to use Plumbers Putty...it doesn't harden either. The grey stuff stays soft in a ziplock bag too. I am 40 miles from the craft shop and had to find an alternative. It worked.
tvksi
Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #7846005

What's the quickest/easiest way to get all the wax from the glass candle holders? someone is always giving me these candles and i like to clean them up and give them to my daughter and she gives them to a candle maker friend to reuse. It never occured to me before that they may not have to be cleaned out???? does it? I don't like to give messy stuff so I spend a lot of time cleaning
Many thanks
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7850506

I think I have heard that freezing them will make the wax easier to get out...but am not real sure about that...CRS you know. Jo

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 9 Mar 13, 2014 10:45 PM
Butter for Hands and Body - really bad dry skin tucker303 17 Jan 11, 2008 3:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America