Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: New Henry/Henrietta Pics

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 25, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2006
5:05 AM

Post #1968551

Here's some more of the Queen herself...

Thumbnail by berrygirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2006
5:09 AM

Post #1968556

Don't ask... she's temp. living on my front porch- LOL!

Thumbnail by berrygirl

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2006
4:02 PM

Post #1969263

she is a doll! my guienas "temporarily" lived in our DR! they now have their new home...

what kind is she?
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2006
7:48 PM

Post #1969749

Tamara,
Thanks! Cute story too. She is supposedly an Ameracauna.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2006
12:21 AM

Post #1970435

so, what color are her eggs? & please, do tell, why is she living on your front porch? the other hens jealous?

tf
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2006
8:57 PM

Post #1972265

Tamara,
They are a very light beige color. I was hoping they'd be green/blue. She stopped laying in Oct. when she started molting. It's over now but she hasn't resumed laying. She is my first and only chicken so far. She's on the front porch temp until the rodent control we recently set out is all gone. We're afraid she'd get into it and be poisoned. Never had much prob with rats til we got her- they were after her food bowl each night. We tried traps and everything before we got poison as a last resort. Poor thing I'm sure they tormented her.
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2006
11:29 PM

Post #1972629

If she stays on your porch, where does she lay her eggs ?
Did you fix her up a temporary nesting box ? I would worry
that mine would hide them around the yard. lol
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2006
12:42 AM

Post #1972744

Peggie,
She has stopped laying eggs. I let her roam around for about an hour or so each day. She stays pretty close to the porch though. I have a huge metal dog crate that she stays in at night.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2006
1:23 AM

Post #1972835

if she had a nest, she might lay. some are laying now becaues of the fair weather! when my birds were in their cage in the carport, i took up their feed at night because of the mice...

she is beautiful. maybe her eggs will change color?

berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2006
1:44 AM

Post #1972881

Tamara,
Hopefully she won't have to stay here too much longer and be back in her little house. It's an old dog house, can you believe it? But hey it works! I will try taking up her feed at night. Since she is my first chicken, I didn't know you could do that. I just assumed they ate all the time.

I checked the bait stations and they are almost empty! I just PRAY only the rats got the poison! I hate to put it out but we had so many you could hear them 'squeaking' and scurrying in the trees- YIKES!! They'd hang upside down and look at you from the branches! Told DH it looked like something out of a horror movie. I was terrified to go out there!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2006
3:07 AM

Post #1973044

nope, they sleep at night LOL

so, why is she named Henry/Henriette?
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2006
3:39 AM

Post #1973082

LOL!!
Her name came about b/c I wasn't sure what she was. Never having chickens before I didn't know how to check for the sex. She never laid eggs 'til she was about 9 mos old. That's when I knew she was really a she. I am told that is late for a hen to start laying. Maybe she doesn't like laying or something is wrong with her as she laid eggs for less than a year. She gets a good quality laying food and seems happy and healthy.

I still call her Henry/Henrietta!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2006
4:20 AM

Post #1973156

i think that breed just doesn't lay as often [or steady] as others, and not for as many years. i would still be calling her henry too!

just wait till you can give her stuff to scratch in! and they like kitchen leftovers too, chopped up, if you want to spoil her. some things you can't give chickens, like apricots. my nieghbor didn't know that, and i gave her what i had left that were wormy. they just picked out the worms, and she had to take the apricots to the trash. so i think they "KNOW" what they can't eat.

are you offering her oystershell as well? i think they need it for helathy digestion...

tf
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2006
8:41 PM

Post #1979027

I think maybe banana peels must not be their cup-o-tea either, cause mine
won't touch them. My dog even acts funny if I make him sniff one. Maybe us
and chimpanzies only eat bananas. My chickens sure don't like em.

Maybe Henrietta needs a couple girlfriends to compete with. I know that if one of my hens gets on the nest, seems like everyone else jumps up there to see
what she's gonna do. Kinda nosey about that stuff. Thus the old saying...
"like a bunch of ole hens" LOL
berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2006
12:15 AM

Post #1979596

Peggie,
I'd love to have a couple more. Will have to talk DH into it. It only took me about 10 yrs to convince him to let me get Henry!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2006
3:26 AM

Post #1980046

well, it only makes since, if your gonna have a resonable supply of eggs? ;-)
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2006
3:59 PM

Post #1980738

I have 3 Amercauna hens that has not stop laying eggs all thru the winter yet..I get a lt blue,olive green and a pink color egg from them..Here is a pic of the eggs..

Thumbnail by Moodene

berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2006
9:13 PM

Post #1981258

Moo,
The light pink egg on top is the color Henry lays- when she lays that is.

Does my Henry look like yours? I'd love to see pics of them!
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2006
2:22 AM

Post #1981922

Moo, those are some pretty eggs. My DH thinks I'm nuts to say eggs are pretty, but they are...so perfectly beautiful.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2006
2:52 AM

Post #1982122

yes, them are perfect, bet they taste perfect too!
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2006
5:04 AM

Post #1982278

I've had some of many kinds of chickens and the auricaunas are some of the best layers. They're also some of the largest eggs.

I used to let mine out when I was going to be home all day and they always politely went back in when it was roosting time. Chicken feed always attracts rats and I kept my spare feed in a tightly closed trash can. I think the rats still got half of what was put in the feeder. When the chickens would be out of the pen scratching, my dogs would go in the chicken yard searching for rats. Once in awhile they'd get one but mostly it was just a big noisy game.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2006
5:53 AM

Post #1982299

what great entertainment!
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2006
5:32 PM

Post #1983024

Yes it was entertaining to me. A flock of chickens is very interesting to me as well. They often have distinct personality traits. I used to tell my kids that if they would watch the chickens they would learn a great deal about human nature. Jealousy, greed, anger, fear, cliques, pecking order, jerks, domestic violence, mob insticnt, rape, murder, friends, bait and switch, etc. It's very true and may have been helpful to the kids. I left out motherhood which is one of the most important.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2006
6:45 PM

Post #1983203

motherhood, oh, yes, can't wait to have a bunch of broody hens!

i have some guineas pics to update...
hmstyl
Cleveland, GA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2006
7:23 PM

Post #1983298

berrygirl, it looks to me like Henrietta might be a Black Australorpe! I have one, and they are unusual in that their eyes are black - very interesting looking. Are her feathers black shiny with a hint of green in the sunlight? My Miss Black lays pale brown eggs - and she is a very good layer. She loves green veggies, like lettuce, leftover green beans, peas, etc.

here is a pic of the black australorpe from McMurray

Thumbnail by hmstyl

berrygirl
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2006
7:44 PM

Post #1983332

hmstyl,
I am not 100% sure what she is. My DH's co-worker gave her to us. She said she "thought" she was an Ameracauna, but could possibly be a cross-bred [so called] "Easter Egg chicken", as she raises several kinds of poultry. I do know that they can lay the very pale pinkish to light beige looking eggs like Henry does and like the one in Moodene's pic. I just wish she'd start laying eggs again -LOL!

And yes, she is very green in the sun! I'm off to see more pics of the one's you posted- THANKS!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America