-
AuthorContent
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2006
1:14 AM

Post #1972803

I dream of making some simple (but elegant and finely crafted, lol) benches for my garden, maybe even a couple of small tables, a gate, and an arbor or pergola (what's the difference between an arbor and a pergola, anyway?) Okay, many of you have all kinds of tools that sound almost exotic to me, because I've only just begun to accumulate tools. I have a circular saw, a jigsaw, a cheapo imitation Dremel rotary tool, a broken router (don't look a gift horse in the mouth), a palm sander, a brad/small nail gun, a drill, a mitre box, and assorted hand tools (hammer, screwdrivers, saw, etc.)

I should be able to do these projects with these tools, right? (I'll be asking for your help with joinery.) Any ideas for other pieces that don't require a small investment in HD or Lowes, lol? Have you done any that you can show us?

This is a picture of a bench at The Antique Rose Emporium. I took lots of close-ups of the construction.

Thumbnail by maggiemoo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2006
1:33 PM

Post #1975617

Maggiemoo, Good for you! "Ladies with a Hammer and Saw Unite"

Sounds like you have plenty of tools to build your bench. The only thing I can think of that you would need, if you don't already have it would be a square.

Home Depot and Lowes love to see me coming. Some of the "Helpers" try to talk to DH, he always says talk to her, I don't have a clue what you are talking about. LOL

Betty
drdon
Temecula, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2006
1:54 PM

Post #1975649

(((Maggiemoo)))

That bench is actually a fairly easy build and the answer is a resounding YES, you can build it with the tools you already have.

Although it looks like that one is made from mahogany, teak, or another relatively expensive hardwood that ages gray, I'd suggest that good old red oak available inexpensively at HD, or Lowes would work nicely. Take a good look at the bench Hardwood made over in Garden Art and you can see that they are pretty basic. The one he did was executed by an experienced and talented woodworker, but benches are indeed wonderful 'starter' projects for woodworkers looking for a rewarding project.

You'll make a fabulous one.

hugs,
don
cranbrook2
Belgrave Ont
Canada

January 15, 2006
4:01 PM

Post #1978282

that is a beautiful looking bench maggiemoo. even better considering the tools you used. great job
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2006
9:54 PM

Post #1979222

Oops! Didn't mean to imply that I made the bench. I took the photo at the Antique Rose Emporium, and I'd like to make one like it.
:-)
NJBGardener
Riverside, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2006
4:18 AM

Post #2161913

Hi all you woodworkers. I just thought I would share a couple of my projects. I took up woodworking about 7 years ago such as scroll saw and fret work. But now I am in to the bigger stuff cause the fret work was getting to be too much. Here is a bench I just made about a month ago.

Norma

Thumbnail by NJBGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2006
3:02 AM

Post #2164594

That's a nice garden bench, Norma. Did you just figure it out yourself, or did you have plans?
NJBGardener
Riverside, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2006
3:43 AM

Post #2857833

Maggiemoo

Thank you very much.
I just made that from scrap wood.I figured it out all by my little lonesome. lol I didn't have any plans for it. It was pretty basic. The only real problem I had with it was cutting the heart with a sabre saw. It took forever. But it was fun doing and now all my friends want one. I wonder how much to charge. Hmmmmmmmmm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America