Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 13, 2006
2:55 AM

Post #1973029

A gift from friends. An old wheel and it looks pretty good in the garden.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2006
2:31 AM

Post #1974843

looks like that is where it belongs! I love your cati! (~is that proper, cati?)

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2006
1:10 PM

Post #1975556

Hey Lisa...didn't I see one of those on your property here in KY? You got lots of lovely treasure with your new land!!

By the way gourd, love what you've done with your wheel...looks like it has always been there...nice touch.

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2006
10:55 PM

Post #2002560

It really looks nice Antionette.
Patti
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 5, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #5207652

oh , please gourd , treat that wood with water proofing . i know it takes years to rot in that low humidity , but keep it as long as you can .sally

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #5207913

Oooooh my, do preserve it ! It is too wonderful a gift to lose. Just picture perfect in your beautiful garden! E.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 5, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #5208380

oh gosh, I had to leave that behind when we moved.. hopefully the new owners will take care of it. And I hopefully will be able to find another ..
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5209381

Wheels? You want Wheels? I posted this back in April. Go halfway down the thread.

http://www.davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/807714/
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 6, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5210152

a friend just sold her house and had two wheels .she broke my heart when she said the new owner wanted her to leave them. you just broke it again .lol sally
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #5210172

Gourd that is a beautiful garden.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 6, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5212101

digger, I know, I hate myself for leaving it..

dahtzu, thank you, it took us 7 years to complete a 2 1/2 acre garden, then we had to move.. this place is smaller (1 acre) so I dont' have so much work as I used to.

schickenlady, what a wonderful stash... I love it.. we have one embedded into the rockwall.. I'll take a photo of it when I go out there.. it was already on the wall, it was the only rockwall here when we moved, and we added rockwalls all around the rest of the property and made several smaller patios and courtyards.. It seems that they are easier to keep clean.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #5213063

Gourd please show pictures of your gardens. From what I've seen, everything about your property is beautiful. I love your walls. Wish I could see the 2 1/2 acre garden you left behind. Did you take some of the plants with you when you moved?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 6, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #5213575

come on gourd , that would be a learning treat for us all .a tour of the grounds with comments about your T 2 T would show some of us later comes what you' ve created in the past . please do . sally
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5215227

Digger that would be one awesome tour. Gourdis always creating. Please Gourd, when you get the time.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 7, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5215306

Oh, I was trying to find photos of the CA yard, and I have to figure out how to get them out of the Picasa program.. I'll take photos of this yard, it is still a work in progress so not all is accomplished yet..

We did bring several cacti plants and (two trailer loads) but most of them froze,, I had to leave them in ABQ at my daughter's house till we found a house here, by then winter had hit and then we brought them here, but some still didn't make it., so I'm kind of starting over with hardier agaves and cactus.. I'll take some photos for you guys after these winds die down.

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #5215427

Gourd do you have or want a Pear Cacti? I'll be glad to send you one.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 7, 2008
2:46 AM

Post #5215470

Hi Faye,
Yes, I've got some thank you for offering.. I have several echinopsis and they have been blooming on and off for months.. I am still trying to figure out what survives here.. I put in 500 tulips and not ONE bloomed..lol. so, back to the drawing board.. I've put in several Iris, Daylillies and started several xeriplants for this area.. it will take me a couple of years to weed out what needs to go anyway I guess. I'm on the hunt for oxalis wood sorrel , I ordered a couple but they send such tiny bulbs, so I guess I'll have to wait till they multiply to see some good flowering. Other than that, we have raised veggie beds out back and about 20 trees out front (small orchard, 10 fruit trees and 10 pecan trees).

In a couple of years everything will fill in, right now almost all the plants are new or one year old on some.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2008
12:04 PM

Post #5216647

can't wait to see pics. of your yard. Love everything I'v seen.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 10, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #5235157

here is one area the yellow flowers (Prairie coreopsis) I started hundreds of plants under lights, too bad they are annuals, but they have been blooming like crazy and I put some in pots too, and some rudbeckia, mexican hats, etc.. next year I'll start more in Jan.. Maybe in deeper flats so that they can stay longer in them, till they stablize enough to into the ground.

Darn if it hasn't been raining the past couple of days (I'm not complaining, we really need it, but I can't take photos) it looks like it is just drizzling. Don't know if you can see a Dove walking the fence, I see these guys all day long, and those humming bird feeders are usually full in the mornings. I have about 15 feeders out and another 5 huge wildbird seed feeders, I love these guys.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 10, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #5235167

Here is a close up of one of the Gargoyles I got for my BD last month.. there is one on each side of the two small beds there, one on each bench.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 10, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5235179

Here is the other one on the other side, the plants are growing and the area looks really scarey, just the way I like it..lol As I type this, there is a golden almost orange hummer that is back... some times they just pass thru.. and there is a nest in front of my computer with two barn swallows (barney's) that have laid their eggs and are sitting on them, they returned from last year.. I love my yard friends..

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 10, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #5235208

Justmelisa, Melody and Rose,

I am so sorry I never replied, it was at the time we had to move and I was off DG for months, please forgive my bad manners, I would not have thought to look at this thread until now that it was brought up... Thank you for the comments.

A.
Mazda1994
Oklahoma City, OK

July 10, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #5237276

Cool pics, Gourd. Everything looks great!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #5318833

Gourd, just as I thought, everything is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing something you have to be proud of.
Faye
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 25, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #5318868

Thank you Mazda and Dahztu (you guys sound like a couple of cool cars)

The barney's hatched four eggs and they are haning out of their nests, they are almost ready to fly.. I can't believe how quickly they hatched and grew from my last post here.

Well, now we are working on the inside of the house, it will be tiled in everyroom this coming month, so I'll be busy moving things from room to room. We also need two new toilets, etc.. then come the appliances.. we just had a water softener installed and that makes me so happy!!! even my hair is soft today.. the dishwasher and all the appliances got rust from the well water and it damaged all the toilets too.. lots of work for us to try to repair, but, we keep trucking along.

A.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 25, 2008
9:24 PM

Post #5319294

thank you so much , gourd , for sharing . perhaps when you get along with the remodel , you can give us a grand tour . sally
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #8164454

Beautiful, beautiful, wish I could have cacti like yours here in NY.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2010
11:48 AM

Post #8164460

Gourd when I saw your name at the beginning of this thread, I was so glad to see you back here...then the bubble burst, I saw the date. Please come back and show your many talents. I still and always will miss you.
Always Your Friend, Faye

This message was edited Oct 19, 2010 1:48 PM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 19, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #8164500

Dahtzu , I think she came back . I think I saw her several tinmes the last month or so . I hope I'm right .
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #8166176

Hello friend digger. just know i follow your postings even tho i seldom post. Love you too lady.
Faye
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 20, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #8166288

Hey girlfriend , I was in your neighborhood in June but tied up with my new Great grandson . Two days with him and first time to meet him . Thought about calling , but it would have been on the spur of the minute .Was at Raleigh and Chapel Hill .
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 21, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #8168480

Hi guys!, I miss you all too.. I've been learning a couple of crafty embossing on metal projects and making the old type Spaniard saints, etc.. and today I gave a class at the senior center on doing this. I think it took me a couple of days to get all the kits ready, and took everything but the kitchen sink to class. I hope I did this craft justice. Everyone went home with a completed saint or pattern of their choice. It lasted all day and I'm surprised we actually got finished from start to end.

I will try to get photos of some things I've been making, the time seems to fly lately and sometimes the computer doesn't agree with anything and won't run as fast as I would like it to.

Faye, you and digger have made some neat stuff. I am wishing there was more time to do all of this. The Day of The Dead is being celebrated here and I am taking some oil painting classes here, and this is my version of All Souls Day Day of The Dead celebration: (Saint of Death) something like that. They hung this up in a Gallery at the downtown area where they have a whole exhibit with these types of paintings..

I've been working on making my Totem poles with Clear Vases and Clear Plates for the birdfeeders.. when I finish one I'll post a photo. The glue is not agreeing with this project at all. I need to find something that will dry faster.

Thumbnail by Gourd

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #8168525

Hello Gourd, You have made my day/night. Thank you so much for being here. I really haven't made anything that I liked since you've been gone. A very special friend sent me some glass paint, and I tried that, love doing it and am going to send my "Master Piece" to that special friend...very soon.
Digger, sure wish you could have called me, I would have driven many miles just to hug your sweet neck. Gourd, both you and digger are very special to me. Love you ladies.
Faye
PS, Gourd, when will you start classes on something else that "your followers" can do?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 22, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #8169236

Wrote a long letter of explainnation about why I didn't contact you ,Dahtzu and didn't post it .Hate that . We was on my D I L 's time . I couldn't count on being anywhere cuz she was there with her daughter and baby for her niece's wedding. We went to see and meet the baby . Gourd , do you live where they have the Hatch peppers ?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 22, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #8169291

Pretty close, about 75 miles from there. We go to the Hatch Chili Festival when we can.. lots of good food and lots of metal art there in Hatch.
A.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9391327

I love the old west look. I'm new to DG but found you through the intersesting things box. What a cool place, and love the gargoyle area too! Bonanza came to mind instantly and love that old show!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 20, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9391594

I always wanted a house like on Bonanza . We watch some of the reruns on Encore Westerns .Love the living room with the split level .

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9391599

Yes!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 20, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9391608

Ha ha , datsu , I'll tell . Am enjoying that picture more than you could ever know . Be sure and keep the glass clean with alcohol where you are painting or it will rub off . Hugs , and send the D H my thoughts for him . Always ,
alisjacckk11

June 23, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9569791

[deleted by admin]

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9569818

What?!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 23, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9570150

?

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

June 24, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9571075

He/she said something that was unprintable so Dave took it out.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 24, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9571648

I read it but did not understand any of it.

Dahtzu, if you are out there, I've been tin smithing with coffee cans, bean cans, and any tin I can find. The little light covers are from flashing, the two frames I used coffee can, the butterflies some are tin and some are out of flashing.

Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd
Click an image for an enlarged view.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2013
6:40 AM

Post #9587442

Gourd, those projects are wonderful!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 5, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9587469

Hey there, thank you. Hammer and nails.. And now I have some punches. Almost anything can be a punch.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9588049

LOL Gourd you know if I see your name, I will be there. This project is like all others from you. SUPER! Great job, and I'm not surprised..
Still wishing I had a smidgen of your talent.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9588310

Ya, it's really not fair is it?? Gourd is so talented.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 6, 2013
11:42 AM

Post #9589026

Oh no, you guys are just as talented, or more! I can't quilt as good and never will either, like Pat, or mosaic as beautiful as Faye does. You are two of the most wonderful DG friends a person could have!

Now, good to see you here Datzu, I don't come here often anymore but miss all of you and all the neat things everyone here comes up with. Between gardening and health issues, time seems to slip on by.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9589194

"Time slips by" is sure right!!! With everything going on with Ben right now, THIS is my only social outlet!! time for me to get back to work. I'm going to try and finish up at least a couple of more rooms today and load up the pick up and take a load tomorrow to storage. I hope I can shoe horn in this last load in to the storage unit!!

Pretty much everything left in the house currently will go to our "next home" immediately, when we are in a position to find one that is! With Ben in nursing care, me staying at my sister's, commuting back and forth part of the weekend, there is no point or rush, (or money!) for me to out looking at housing in Tri-Cities.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9589233

Health issues, we have had our share. Ray was in the Hospital 8 times last year and praise God, he hasn't had to stay overnight this year. Those "Arthur Boys" are trying to take over our bodies. Think most everything hurts.
I don't come to Dave's as much as I use to, flowers have taken my craft time.
Gourd please continue posting , you have been an inspiration to so many here at Dave's. We learn from you..and Wuvie, where is she?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9589299

From 8 to zero so far, GREAT progress! I pray he continues this trend.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 7, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9590884

Faye, gosh you have had your hands full! Pat too. My problems seem minute compared to you guys. I did manage to mess up my ankle after being in a boot for six months and on crutches. I put in 12 large ocotillos I the front of my house on the outside of the rock wall whilst on crutches. I actually had the tips replaced four times. I thought DH was going to strangle me for using shovels, falling... I can't sit still. Now because of my own stupidity I have to have those awful cortisone injections on the bottom of my foot and they hurt like you know what! Ill take a photo of my ocotillos .. This is the only photo I have on this iPad. This is the front of our house...

Thumbnail by Gourd

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9591735

If I were asked right this minute what my 1 wish would be, my answer would be : To see Gourds home. I cannot imagine how you do so much HARD work even when you should be pampering your foot. So sorry you had a few ,(meant in a very loving way, as I would tell my children) brain lacking thoughts when the desire to do put in 12 large ocotillos became a must do. Hope you will get well really fast. Please!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 8, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9591918

Yeah , Wuvie and Gourd , everything that Faye said .
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 8, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9592230

Oh, no, you should wish for the lottery!, lol, thank you, I took a couple of photos for you Faye. Not the best but It will give you an idea of the outdoors areas. Thank you or being so kind to this crazy lady here.

Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 8, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9592235

A couple more, lots of work involved in getting ti this point

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 8, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9592242

Those are a couple of spaces, now you get to see my cats in the catnip area.. Lol, I haven't planted in them yet, had to seal them inside and out.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9592359

Hard to imagine that much work!! OH my! IT is so beautiful, I just keep limping along here, now to try and sell this place.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 9, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9593238

Beautiful , Gourd , but you make me tired just looking at the work .LOL
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 9, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9593292

Digger, sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself, pulling hoses all summer, we are trying to get it done before we get MORE disabled.. Lol so we can eventually sit down and read a book, if we,don't go blind by then.. if it's not one thing its another..
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 10, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9594258

Well , I've paid two youngsters two times in my life to help out with outside work , two days ago and today . D H isn't an outside worker and I , like you , trying to catch up . That isn't going to happen . ( He isn't an inside worker either .lol )The only way I know to catch up is rent an apt. (Ain't gonna do that . ) Hugs , my dear and we all will just keep on keeping on .
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9597454

OMGosh Gord, do you know how to tease! Now you know those wonderful pictures just made me want to see your home even more, and from the first pic. I ever saw of your hard "Home" work, I've always wanted to see it. You amaze me but no longer surprise me. Lady, you can't be to old, or to disabled or you couldn't continue the hard and unusual work that you do.
Still wishing
AYF, Faye

PS. Pictures show just about all I have time for.

Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 13, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9597846

Oh those epis are gorgeous !! I used to grow some a long time ago. Look at those Lillie's. just beautiful. I never thought about keeping epis indoors. They are beautiful. Great job Faye. You can come and visit if you ever get the desire to, you are welcome here...

Digger, We have hired a man with a tractor to take care of the orchard every few months, but all the rest belongs to me. Once the plants we want are in place, it will insulate us jut a little bit from the winds here. It will get easier hopefully soon..

I have 25 clematis plants to put in Monday , and some strawberry pots to seal, some to grout.. Etc.. I make work for myself.

Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd   Thumbnail by Gourd      

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9598314

I'm been struggling with whether to live in an apartment or mobile home park for a year or so while getting ready finacially to buy a house again or whether to try to qualify for a home loan again as soon as this house sells. I'm not sure I can stand to not be outside planting and maintaining a beautiful flower garden.

Yesterday was not a good day. I checked my husband out of the nursing facility with the intent of taking him home for a couple of hours and he could not make it up the 2 stairs into our home. I feel like such a spiritual/ emotional weakling, he was able to shake it off and say "well, 3 weeks ago I couldn't think about trying that, in another week I'll probably be able to do it."
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 14, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9598483

Psychw2 , with an attitude like your D H has , it won't take a whole week . I KNOW it'll happen ...Soon !
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

July 14, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9598550

Psych2'
My heart goes out to you. I'm sad that you are going through this.

I have a suggestion that might cheer you up and keep you gardening. Get a good size pot and either throw some seeds in there or pot up an indoor plant. Just do one so that you span still feel like if you are gardening. It is amazing what a little pot can do for you. And I don't mean Mary Jane wither. Lol. Excuse the pun..

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9598702

LOL... took me a while to get the pun!! Ya, no Mary Jane here!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM
Gazing Balls???? Eufaula 40 Feb 6, 2008 4:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America