Photo by Melody

Clean and Clutter-free: Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"?

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 22, Views: 247
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2006
2:56 AM

Post #1973030

My husband Howie and I really enjoy that show. One thing that keeps standing out to me is the notion that the objects we have are not the memories...Our memories are what we should cling to, not the stuff. I love the idea of photographing some things, and then selling the things or giving them to charity.
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2006
6:11 PM

Post #1973825

I used to love that show - haven't caught it lately - and wish someone would come in and ruthlessly force me to tackle the basement and spare room in my house.

And I'm nowhere near as bad as my mom was. Now that woman could "packrat"! She would have had those co-hosts on Clean Sweep sobbing on their knees.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2006
7:09 PM

Post #1973936

I enjoy the show, though the obligatory wrestle between husband and wife sometimes gets a little old. It's not so much the re-do of the rooms that I really watch it for, but the constant instructions about how to let go of "stuff". That's the thing I have to keep hearing over and over again (like a mantra playing in my head), and it's really helped me look at all the "stuff" differently, really does help me to let go. I agree, gw, the fact that the objects are not necessary for us to have memories really struck a chord with me. Something else that hit hamoe was that just because somebody gives you something doesn't mean you have to keep it.
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2006
8:35 PM

Post #1974135

maggiemoo, I agree with that completely! Just last night I *finally* got rid of something my mom gave me over 10 years ago! It was an apple barrel that she made a liner and covered lid for. It had been sitting in my living room taking up space for all those 10 years. I was keeping yarn in it...the last time I crocheted anything was about 6 years ago. It was extremely faded and coming apart. I'm glad I finally gave myself permission to get rid of it. ;-)
roxroe
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2006
8:59 PM

Post #2049396

I really like the show but it has limitations. Like maggiemoo said the pitting the spouses against each other to compete for their own stuff is tiresome. And they never take on anything but tract homes and generally do them in a modern genre - they never take on a home that already has a style or period of is own and would look weird modern.
And they only take on two rooms in these homes...like clutter is limited in scope. However I like the color combinations they come up with I would not consider before. And the concept that if someone you love leaves you something (like a set of vintage books) you don't have to keep all of them to keep the memories - three will do! And those memories don't have to be in a drawer or closet taking up space - it can be turned into a decoration or picture and be much more effective.
Finally I love their ideas on organization and use of space.

I suspect they have never seen a REAL packrats like my grandparents. You could not walk through the entire house it was just paths...the contestants are amatuers
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2006
3:01 PM

Post #2051100

I hear ya roxroe...about the contestants just being amatuers. Even though I do enjoy parts of the show, I still think there is a little 'acting' going on that these people are NOT real packrats. I'm not doubting that these are not real people in real situations, but they should make their way to my mother's home if they really want to see how a packrat lives. It is scarey!

But I do watch the show, and it has helped me with a few ideas. And has also helped inspire me to move in the right direction. Actually, if I could get HGTV as the only channel then I would be pleased! LOL Normally if the TV is on when I am the only person home, it will be on HGTV. They just need more actual 'garden' shows for me! LOL
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2006
1:54 AM

Post #2052555

Roxroe and Brinda - I too think the rooms they work on look a bit staged - however, if I ever had them come to my house, I'd pick two rooms and PILE them with the clutter from the rest of the house - just to get rid of it. LOL
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2006
4:52 PM

Post #2053615

I'm taking a genealogy class. I've been looking for some 'artifacts' or 'ephimeral' items from my ancestors. Just remember when you're thinking about eliminating things from your life that they might be a real treasure to those who come after you... I'm really proud of y'all for being able to get rid of things. I'm working on that! Just remember to keep a few special things for posterity :)
roxroe
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2006
3:16 PM

Post #2155181

well my particular problem was that my grandparents bought other people's estates as a hobby - after about 17 of those and 40 years - I have no idea what are our heirlooms and what are other people stuff. All I can tell the antique dealers is how long it was around our house. I suspect very little was theirs because they moved in the late 50's and the truck caught fire and they lost all their furniture and belongings.

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2006
4:04 PM

Post #2155328

Oh, wow, what a confusion!
RobinDoreen
Shreveport, LA

March 3, 2007
3:02 PM

Post #3244119

Actually, I cant stand this show anymore. I just watched a woman give up a stitched framed picture that she and her dead mother stitched together, because she lost the "contest" against her husband. Sorry, but I'd rather give up some stupid plastic basket or ANYTHING other than something i could never get back that meant alot to me! You cant tell me she didnt have room to hang that picture up or that it was "cluttering" up her house like all the other junk was. Thats whats wrong with people these days, nothing means anything anymore. Genealogists cringe when they see part of a familys history being sold or given away to strangers. So folks, enjoy that pink plastic flamingo and say bye bye to grandmas 1800's dress and button up shoes! Dont want to clutter up your house!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2007
7:26 PM

Post #3250908

They don't typically make the person give away something they stress has tremendous value to them, not after talking to them first. I like the way they tell people that heirlooms should be treated as such, taken care of. If your priceless heirloom is sitting in a drawer or a box in your basement, what does that say about its value? I like the show because it makes people think, not just hoard.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2007
8:13 PM

Post #3251055

I got tired of that show after watching it about four times. Same thing, over and over... Now, I love Trading Spaces... don't ever get tired of it !
katym
Deatsville, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2007
11:23 PM

Post #3324199

Just reading this thread and got a big laugh. My mother is also one of those packrats who has wall to wall stuff. I could totally relate to Roxroe about the trails going through the house. It was bad when I was growing up, but when my sister and I grew up and left home it got much worse!

My mother also has been known to buy other's estates. She gets so excited about more junk coming into the house. And she has a real problem with magazines and newspapers!!! Piles and piles of them! When she gets asked why she doesnt throw them out she says she is waiting until she can read them all first...come on, now we are talking years out of date!!! Gotta love her, though.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2007
6:50 PM

Post #3326734

Oh, Katy. Your mom and I might be related, for real!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2007
8:43 PM

Post #3327124

I can appreciate the idea behind the show, but I think
the approach is a bit quick. But, then again, the people
did call the show, they were not forced.

Some people are just messy and feel helpless. Others
have strong attachments to objects. Many have to go
through a learning phase depending on the attachment.

Years ago, if the show landed on my doorstep, I would
likely have put up a fight over material items. Today is
a different story, but I worked through the matter on my
own, given time.

I just can't help but to think it is sort of like taking away chocolate,
telling a person they must now eat rice cakes. In time one may
learn to love rice cakes, but one hour to decide the matter? LOL

I like what they do with all of the homes, but it just seems like the
people could use some pre-show-prep. Perhaps they do, but we
just don't see it or hear about it.

KM
ceceliaroe

June 16, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5109168

personally my mother is also a packrat. you all laugh at the contestants on the shows because they are amateurs, but noone starts as an expert. my mother doesn't have only trails through the house but in particular rooms. it is not something that i find pleasure in or know how to laugh at. it is a serious problem that needs to be confronted in all packrats. if these people are willing to give up their possessions and privacy for this show than that means they are showing alot of strength in character and it no longer matters if it is "staged" or not.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5109610

I really feel for anyone who has to inherit the disorder and clutter of a hoarding parent. My father was like this and his sister and her family had a terrible time of going through his possessions when he had to go into a nursing home. He was estranged from me for years before this, so I did not experience it firsthand. I can only imagine. Truly, parents owe it to their children to get rid of the clutter...Don't leave those who mourn you the added burden of having to dispose of years of debris.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5111572

I have thought about what my son is going to do when I die. I figure he'll have a GIANT yard sale. Except some things are 'kinda' valuable, and he doesn't know which is which.

I retired on June 1, and I've started editing and cleaning. I turned the dining room into a sitting room, so that room is finished, and the front foyer is finished. Next is the living room. I've been going down 'little paths' in my house for too long! It's hard when you're a packrat to figure out what goes and what stays, because you wanna keep everything. But I am editing. It's gonna be a long process to the finish line, but I'm in the race for sure.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #5147745

We have a great Aunt who has her sons (55 & 62) living with her. The younger son collects (what seems to be) every newspaper and magazine known to man. Yes, there is one path through the living room and dining room to the kitchen where everyone has to sit! What a fire hazard! Someone should call the fire dept., she is 89 years old and should not have to deal with that, but cannot say no to the "boys".
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #5149339

Maybe you could put in an anonymous call, Quiltygirl. You're right -- that's dangerous.
aliceisoutside
Lafayette, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5149368

As I read this thread HGTV is running on the tube at the end of my desk. I agree with the above comments. I wish we could pay for only the channels we watch, HGTV and TLC with a little FOOD net. and Animal Planet on the side!
But back to packratting. I confess to being one and I love the show for the psychological help it gives. It helps me think about my stuff differently.
I've noticed that having clutter drains me and is depressing. I want to get a handle on it and have access to every inch of this space upon which I'm paying a mortgage.
My parents were packrats and we have been clearing it out a little at a time since my Dad passed. The clutter was overwhelming for my Mom.
I'm reminded of a book my husband had recently. Every page displayed a photo of a family with all of there possessions. None were packrats. However , the families that touched me were from third world areas. One family sat smiling proudly displaying just a few things. Seriously, their possessions would have barely filled my garden cart!
It made me think. Keep it in balance. Peace.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #5149715

I've seen that book, too! It really does make one think.

My hubby and I are both messies, which is both good and bad. It's good in that neither one of us blames the other when the house gets to be a mess -- we're both at fault! It's bad because no matter how we vow to keep things picked up and in their places, we end up with our clutter again. But we don't give up at least! LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM
What about FLY LADY?!! Anybody follow her advice?!! tabasco 82 Aug 2, 2011 2:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America