Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Carolina Gardening: Welcome to the Carolinas forum!

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 61, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

January 13, 2006
6:43 PM

Post #1973894

This forum was suggested for those from any other sites who are used to being able to chat about gardening in your region. Enjoy!

Dave
aisgecko
Raleigh, NC

January 13, 2006
8:16 PM

Post #1974073

Thanks for setting up this regional forum! -Ais.
dave

January 13, 2006
8:17 PM

Post #1974080

You're very welcome.

And welcome to DG. :-)

Dave
diggingit
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2006
2:17 AM

Post #1974818

it's good to see an old friend, ais :)
i'm thrilled with our new Dave's space!
marsha
dellare
Carthage, NC

January 14, 2006
3:21 AM

Post #1975011

Hey Ais and Marsha. I'm here too...waiting to see what happens. Adele
nckvilledude2
Kernersville, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2006
8:40 AM

Post #1975238

Thanks Dave. Have never posted on your site in the forum area before but welcome it as a nice change from the last place I frequented!
chamthy
Selma, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2006
10:12 AM

Post #1975265

Hey y'all! I'm glad this is available and hope everyone will climb aboard.
Thank you Dave for giving us this new forum.
Shari
tamelask
Garner, NC

January 14, 2006
4:10 PM

Post #1975969

guess i'll have 2 places to ck now- hey everybody! thanks, dave for setting this up. tammy
hollyclyff

January 14, 2006
4:55 PM

Post #1976080

Hey guys! I'm here too.
Dana
puppyscruff
Sanford, NC

January 14, 2006
5:46 PM

Post #1976168

Hey, y'all. Feels just like home. Thanks, Dave, for giving us our own bed.

claire in sanford
dave

January 15, 2006
3:36 AM

Post #1977552

You are all very welcome. Pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable. :)
kdawson
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2006
8:50 PM

Post #1979048

Hi, Y'all!

This is my first post since joining...

I live in Georgetown, SC, 38 miles from Myrtle Beach. My husband built me the most beautiful deck at the end of last summer, and I want to do some landscaping around it... first of all for visual pleasure, but also to discourage my 3 dogs from lying up under the deck. I figured I'd use latticework to keep them out, but I'd like some suggestions of native(or not) plants to provide beauty and aroma and attract butterflies... really any and ALL thses things. Is that clear as Catawba red clay?
Thanks in advance!!!
PS: I LOVE those miniature gardenias...do they have a name?
kdawson

Happy New Year!
mysticmoonshine
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2006
8:26 PM

Post #1981196

Hi all,

I am happy to see a Carolina forum-I need all the help I can get!!!! :-)

dawson, i have some gardenias but am unsure of what the name is, sorry. they would certainly look lovely though, i am sure of it. seems like i get a new plant catalog in the mail every day and i sit inside and drool at all the things i want...can't wait till spring!!!

Tia
jjayroe
Manning, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2006
6:11 PM

Post #1985192

Hi Everyone! I'm glad to see a Carolina forum too! I live in Manning SC and have been a Dave's garden addict since last year. I have some of the miniature gardenias growing around my deck in the full sun and they just love it there. Not sure of the name though ...

kdawson, I would suggest planting some lantana around your deck, it just loves our neck of the woods, plus it's a perennial that comes back every year. Just be careful, some varieities get 4-5 foot around. I have a corner with two sets of steps and my lantana fills the entire area. I cut it back in the fall and plant the area full of pansies. Butterflies love lantana.

Other perennials that come to mind are Butterfly bush, Hybrid Tea Roses, hydrangeas all are doing well around my deck. As far as annuals go, I planted Gerbera Daisies, Sunny lady impatiens, and begonias (white outperformed pink 3-1). Hope you enjoy your deck as much as I do mine.

Thank you Dave for starting a Carolina forum!
girlgroupgirl

January 19, 2006
8:40 PM

Post #1987267

May I please join in, even if I'm in Georgia? There is no other forum approprite for my climate other than this one. I'd love to be here if y'all will have me!

girlgroupgirl
diggingit
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2006
11:07 PM

Post #1987557

ggg
i always lurk in the georgia forum on that other site, so i'd say you're good to go here :)

this forum's new, i sure hope it gets discovered and takes off!
dig
chamthy
Selma, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2006
10:27 AM

Post #1988322

Welcome ggg! Like dig I also lurk(and sometimes post) in the Georgia forum over there too. I've even bookmarked one of your posts with seed source recommendations. Thanks BTW- I was thrilled to find Seedhunt. Has Georgia been as warm this winter as the Carolinas has? I'm finally ready to start WS now but I'm hesitant. May have to stick some baggies in the frig just in case for some of the perennials.

Shari
wtliftr
Wilson's Mills, NC

January 25, 2006
2:24 PM

Post #1999178

Hey y'all! Chamthy, I grew up in Wilson's Mills- good to see someone from home. Live in Henderson now. I'm in the process of looking for a vanilla orchid... does anyone have any ideas? kdawson, to keep the dogs out from under the deck, may I suggest KUDZU?? :) (evil grin)

This message was edited Jan 25, 2006 11:40 AM
tamelask
Garner, NC

January 25, 2006
4:12 PM

Post #1999412

wtliftr, there's a mailorder place in ohio that used to sell small pieces of vanilla orchid. drat- i can't think of their name right now. i'll repost when i can recall it. sorry. tammy
grandygarden
Grandy, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2006
4:57 PM

Post #1999502

I'm new to the forum, new to Dave's Garden, and new to Carolina. We moved to Currituck County close to the Outer Banks about a month ago. I have a very blank canvas to work with although we back to 404 wetlands and have lots of native grasses on one side and neighborhood yards on the other. That still gives me 110 feet x 150 ft to play with. I want minimal lawn, low maintenance. I also have more dreams than budget.

I've been reading lots of Carolina/Southern Gardening books looking for ideas. Nurseries in the area are very limited and some are closed for January-February. I've never ordered plants online or through a catalog. Anyone experienced with ordering ornamental grass plugs? All help appreciated.

Nancy

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2006
6:04 PM

Post #1999621

A hearty WELCOME TO DG to all ya'll newcomers! It's very nice to see so many familiar places listed (as to where ya live). Soon I imagine you'll all become familiar "faces"!

DG is about the best laid-back, downhome garden you could choose to lounge around in and just plain enjoy yourself!

Hope this finds you and yours healthy and happy! See you around the site!

Shoe.
girlgroupgirl

January 25, 2006
10:49 PM

Post #2000212

Winter has been very mild here, thank-you for asking. But today it's cold.
I also WS, and have containers stacked in the extra fridge!
Seedhunt is particularly good for agastache's that will grow well in our climate.

I love experimenting with plants that people are not always sure will take a combo of heat/humidity...or are unsure if the plant can withstand more winter wet than it has...pushing the limits (although I'm not insane. I always research the native climate for the plant, first).

Last year a friend turned me onto Serenade. This is a spray which is considered all natural, and it really helps the foliage of plants that can be damaged with high humidity (like powdery mildew). Helps BS too on roses!

Grandy, have you ever thought of growing ornamental grasses from seed? It's easy, and you can get plug size grasses very quickly and for very little money.

GGG
grandygarden
Grandy, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2006
11:59 PM

Post #2000328

GGG,

Where can I buy plug size grasses? I've been internet searching but haven't had much luck.

Nancy
diggingit
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2006
1:55 AM

Post #2000844

hi grandy & welcome to north carolina!
oh, my dream is to have a seashore garden :)
don't worry about limited nurseries in your area -
with your blank slate and needing ideas, spend
time reading through the plant forums - SO
much info, both creative & horticultural, is right here.
reach out to your local agriculture extension office -
they should have great info specific to your location. check
out what's growing in other places around you.
take great notes! make prospective plant lists and research
them via dave's plant data - the data sheets will also tell
your what vendors sell them online. dave's garden watchdog
rates a zillion plant-sellers - it takes a lot of risk out of
ordering from the great unknown :)

you've got a wonderful palette - enjoy the process!
dig
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2006
6:01 PM

Post #2010761

Howdy Folks!

I'm sure glad Dave gave us a forum for our region - Thanks Dave!!

It's really neat to see some of the places everyone is posting from. Grandy - I grew up on the southern tip of the Outer Banks! You're gonna love the sandy soil... I'm inland now and one of the first people to offically welcome me to DG was Horseshoe.. Now here is a real treasure... This man is a world of talent with a great big green thumb... this will be a fun forum and will catch on quickly.

To the new folks joining in - Welcome and sit to stay often - we love the chats.

Swoz
girlgroupgirl

January 30, 2006
6:30 PM

Post #2010812

I know where you can find the seed, but sorry, I don't know of any reputable companies I can recommend for your grasses.
Do a search on "ornamental grass" LINERS on Google. See if they will ship to individuals. Then I'd look up the name of the company on Gardenwatchdog to see if they have a rating. Better to be safe than sorry!!

GGG
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2006
3:03 AM

Post #2011836

grandy...if you dmail me I can probably help you with grasses/plug size. (Or perhaps something affordable. Give me a list of what you'd like to try growing; I'll see what I can do for you)

Shoe.
gardener413
Mt.Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2006
12:25 AM

Post #2018485

Wow am I excited to have our own special forum. Thankyou Dave. A lot of times what the rest of the country is doing just does not apply to us. I am so appreciative. Yay.

Ginny
mikepots
Jamaica Plain, MA

February 6, 2006
7:25 PM

Post #2026770

HI ALL!
I'm moving to Charlotte, NC in August and can't wait to get a garden going on our new land...I have a big 30'x50' plot at a community garden where I grow 12 David Austin Roses, 21 Dahlias, about 50 lilies as well as agastache, kniphofia, and many others(I'm moving all these down to Charlotte).
My inlaws live in Myrtle Beach, SC and I've planted their yard and am still planting it...
So, just wanted to say hello and start to get acquanted with you all!!!!!!
gardener413
Mt.Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2006
9:53 PM

Post #2027010

HI Midepots, boy are you in for a change temperature wise and culturally. Everything that you are bringing should really thrive in your new weather, the Austing roses will get ginormous with the longer growing season. You will be able to garden for a lot longer part of the year. I have a question, how do you successfully stake the dahlias. I do not have a separate dahlia garden and incorporate them in with everything else. I would love some ideas. Thanks.
mikepots
Jamaica Plain, MA

February 7, 2006
4:36 PM

Post #2028747

Hey Gardener,
Thanks for the welcome! I'm very much looking forward to the longer season...I moved to Boston from Taos, NM. Taos is a LOT colder than Boston. Taos is Zone 4 and Boston Zone 6b. COuldn't grow most of the things in Taos that I can in BOston...Although, all cool weather plants like Delphiniums, Poppies, Penstemon, etc. thrived in Taos...
I use tomato cages for all my dahlias...That way the plants can branch out and I don;'t have to worry about having any part of it flop over. THe wiring is small enough to not be an eye sore. I usually keep the dahlias in seperate beds but will grow much shorter plants between them, like asters, or annual coreopsis.
gardener413
Mt.Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2006
10:13 PM

Post #2029293

Mikepots, I was talking about the summers. Do you have a clue what it is like here is July and August? I am sure you do if you have been to Myrtle Beach in the summer, steamy. I am not far from there. So, Becky, from Brent and Beckys Bulbs tells me that they do not stake their dahlias, she says they plant them deeper and cut them alot for flowers. But I wonder if she is talking about the dinner plate ones, those are so tall. What do you think? Thanks.
scshadylady
Anderson, SC

February 8, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2029715

Hi everyone, I'm from Anderson, SC and am new to this site...it is great to see replies from neighbors here in the south...I'd say any southerner is welcome on this sight...you don't have to be from SC or NC...I'd like to hear about your gardens, what you've done/plan/wish...I'm kind of new to gardening...(thats the only thing new about me...no maybe a few new wrinkles. )I retired from teaching 3rd graders 3 years ago and have become obsessed with my yard. I'm lucky(i think)...I have a little bit of everything...I started a shade garden on the side of my house last year, a woodlands area out back with rhodies, hydrangeas, and azaleas. I started a "tiny" butterfly garden. We are about to rip all the plants out of the front yard and re-landscape. I am also planning a 18 by 30 kitchen garden. I'm excited/scared about all this work and I know I will need plenty of advice from ya'll in the coming weeks. Tell me about your place

Deb
mikepots
Jamaica Plain, MA

February 10, 2006
11:35 AM

Post #2034654

Hey All,
I must have not pressed the 'send' button because my message didn't post...
Gardener, why not experiment...plant one root deep and the other shallow and see how either does.
SHady, my attitude about gardening is it will make you live longer and GET RID OF THAT LAWN!!!!!!!!!!!
You're going to love life even more than you already do because you're gardening!!!
I have a question: has anyone grown or seen growing OAK LEAF Hydrangea in full sun? In the north they are grown in full sun. I'm creating an island bed in my in-laws yard and want to use oak leaf hydrangea's but if they do poorly in full sun in the south then i'll look to other plants.
gardener413
Mt.Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2006
11:55 AM

Post #2034675

Do not plant anyy hydrangeas in the full sun in our area of SC. They will fry. They need come protection particularly in the afternoons here in the late spring and summer.

Ginny
mikepots
Jamaica Plain, MA

February 11, 2006
1:07 PM

Post #2037200

Thanks Gardener, I'll use other plants instead...So many choices.
gardener413
Mt.Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2006
1:09 PM

Post #2037205

Yup, thats the beauty of our area, 12 month gardening. The hydrangeas are beautiful around here, just not full sun. How about viburnums or lorapetulum?

Ginny
mikepots
Jamaica Plain, MA

February 11, 2006
2:30 PM

Post #2037369

i've definitely decided on viburnums, also going to use a bottlebrush buckey and possibly the black sambucus (elderberry)
I'm considering a few types of Salix, too.
i'm growing a lot from seed for the rest of the yard...
landerlily
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2006
12:19 PM

Post #2116172

Good morning. I'm new to DG and thus to this thread. Glad to see it here (even if it lists our state flower as jasmine rather than jessamine!). I'm originally from Anderson County, SC (the town of Williamston) but live in Columbia now. We're in the process of buying a new house which is exciting but will also be a lot of work. Plants to move, too, especially daylilies (we love Singing Oakes Gardens in Blythewood!) and some family plants that have been passed down. New yard is beautiful--mature Camellias--but has zoysia grass, which I know nothing about. We also will be moving a small pond liner w/plants. We'd like to root some Lady Banksia from my husband's grandmother's plant and know that it can be done by weighing down branches in the dirt. How long should this take? Also, will hydrangeas move easily in another month or two? Thanks!
gardener413
Mt.Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2006
11:22 PM

Post #2117440

Yes, move those hydrangeas as soon as possible before it gets too hot. How old are they? They will be blooming fairly soon so be careful. If they are huge you will need to cut them back to a manageable size. It should probably take a few months for the Lady Banks to root. You might also take cuttings from the plant, put some root hormone on the end and stick in some nice potting soil. Keep moist.

Ginny
landerlily
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2006
6:44 PM

Post #2128171

Thanks. The hydrangeas are not too big; I think they'll move easily. I have some crinum bulbs also that I want to try to dig up--they weigh a ton! The new house has a beautiful zoysia lawn, so I'd imagine I'll be learning about that and maybe buying a reel mower. There are also several mature crepe myrtles. Color will be a surprise! Lots of box and hollies as foundation plantings. Maybe they'll keep the burglars away! I'm excited about the move and looking forward to working in the yard. I've read in Carolina Gardener magazine about planting vegetables in hay bales. Has anyone tried this here? How well does it work?
Laura

This message was edited Mar 21, 2006 3:47 PM
guamgirl
Gastonia, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2006
3:00 PM

Post #2142363

Hello! New to gardening, moved to Gastonia January 05 from Atlanta. In GA we had mostly shade, now is mostly sun and currrently having a pool stuck in the ground. I'll be choosing lots of plants in the very near future to make the area look pretty. Some screening plants, ornamentals, bushes, small trees, and a cut flower garden, and veggies.

No, I don't have much space, its only a 1/3 acre here, house and lot. So I need to plan accordingly. I'm thrilled to have sun here, and love climbing roses, dahlias, hydrangeas to name a few. Plus want to attract butterflies. Maybe not too many birds if you know what I mean. ;)

Any suggestions from the local community would be helpful for tried and true plantings. I'm 7b here.

Thanks, have a great day, the sun has finally returned.!

NCffp163
Graham, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2006
2:29 AM

Post #2183050

Hi ya'll :)

Yeaaa...our own thread!!! I just found it the other day, since I hadn't been on line for a while, due to an injury I had back in Nov. But gradually getting back into now. Welcome Ya'll !!

Eric
Outlaw
Spartanburg, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2006
1:27 PM

Post #2189432

Good morning from the foothills of lower podunk South Carolina. As a 7b, I started my first post in the mid-south forum and then found y'all. There's stuff out there in that plot of mine that appears to be in some stage of growth, but I'm not sure you should call me a gardener.

Although I've lived in this house for 30 years I am new to gardening on purpose. I've pitched some flowering stuff at the yard here and there over the years and what ever is still growing is thanks to the care of the universe more than mine. I finally gave up on all but rugosas when I realized I must the the world's most horrid gardener and a considerable expense of roses faltered under my less than precise care. The fact that Chelsea Morning remains true to form and still presents me with her smallish roses is a miracle I credit to my husband smiling down at me a couple times a year. Ditch lillies and my rescued K-mart Stella d'Oro's do well up front as does the Wild Blackberry and ubiquitous Kudzu that reigns supreme in what I call the back 40 of my little 1 1/2 acre plot of bumpy, hard packed, rock strewn clay.

Previous to 1972 I was a coastal California gal surrounded by year long blooms and houseplants that were outdoor plants who managed to get herself hitched to a sweet, shy southern boy who transplanted me when his tour with Uncle Sam was complete and I've never looked back. We raised 2 kids and began on one grandmonkey (my nickname for our only grandchild who is now a precocious pre-teen) here. Other than the summers and missing his sweet smile, I love my little blue collar subdivision plunked in the middle of a cow pasture in the boonies.

I look forward to learning to garden with something that approaches a purpose as I read through this forum and connecting with people who battle the same red clay and stones that rule this roost. (IS there a grass other than the clumpy fescue I love to hate that grows well in this darn stuff????)

I should doubtless take up pottery and rock art instead of attempting purposeful gardening.
davebeaumont
Charlotte, NC

May 18, 2006
12:34 PM

Post #2291972

My grandparents loved gardens, and somehow this biological internal gene has taken control. I find myself with several raised bed plots, and fruit trees. Using mulch and arm with a shovel and hoe my garden plots contain strawberries, beans, tomatoes, onions, peppers, lettus, and pumkins this year. It gives our childeren a chance to complain about how much they hate the work, all while they proceed to talk to my wife and I about there day to day life and things that are on their minds. Our gardens abundance is shared with our neighbors and friends, which builds fellowship.
missgarney
Cullowhee, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2006
5:53 PM

Post #2296560

This photo was taken on a dreary day. If you look closely you can see the fat clusters of unripe blueberries just beginning to bow the branches.

Thumbnail by missgarney
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2006
6:25 PM

Post #2302925

I love the picture Missgarney. Makes me wish I was there already. Are the blueberries wild or did you plant them? How much room do they take up and are they hard to maintain and control? Blueberries are one of my favorite snack fruits. They are very expensive to buy here so I dont have them often.
Fleurs
Columbia, SC

May 21, 2006
10:08 PM

Post #2303478

Hello from Columbia, SC, where the heat is threatening to really get oppressive. But I'd much prefer a stifling day to what happened last Sunday -- quarter-sized hail which ripped Cardoon, Canna, and Calla lily leaves. :(

How delightful to see GGG here -- she is one exceptional gardener!

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2006
10:31 PM

Post #2303523

Fleurs, what is the humidity level there right now? I am trying to keep a diary of the weather this year so I can have a slight idea of what to expect next year. I talked to my friend in York, SC and it is 80 degrees with 65% humidity right now, scattered rain clouds but none falling yet. I was curious as to the difference from your area to ours.

Fleurs
Columbia, SC

May 22, 2006
4:48 PM

Post #2305803

Carat, my hubby is a weather nut with one of those digital thingies he can "read" from his computer. Can't seem to get the current reading, but this morning at 9 am, it was 73.6 with 63% humidity.

I'm about 1 hours south of York.
missgarney
Cullowhee, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2006
6:39 PM

Post #2306110

CARAT, the blueberries were planted by the previous owners and I do nothing with them save prune in early spring, mulch with ground oak leaves in the fall, and eat them out of hand when ripe. Wish it were a better picture, the photo does not do them justice. We have wild blueberries in the woods around here as well.
Fleurs
Columbia, SC

May 27, 2006
8:48 PM

Post #2322970

CARAT, I'm sitting here trying to get up my nerve (or would it be lose my mind?) to go outside to get some work done. The digital thingie says that at 11:27 this morning, the temp was 103.8 with 26% humidity.

Yikes!
missgarney
Cullowhee, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2006
5:38 PM

Post #2325331

Fleurs, can that be right? 26% humidity at that temperature in Columbia, SC?!

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2006
11:01 PM

Post #2326231

fleurs, I can feel your pain. It just wipes all your energy away...

I vote that you stay inside until the sun goes down. I do 95% of my summer gardening by lamp light at midnight around here.
missgarney
Cullowhee, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2006
11:29 PM

Post #2326308

But 26% humidity is great! I don't think we ever have that here, we are almost always WET or DAMP or HUMID.
Fleurs
Columbia, SC

June 1, 2006
2:42 AM

Post #2337826

Well, I have a wee confession to make. Turns out that at abut 11:30 every morning, the sun shines directly on the weather sensor which causes the temperature to spike on the digital reading. So you were quite right, missgarney. That 103.8 reading was NOT right at all.

Okay, now for today's readings: at 7 am, it was 67.1 with 87% humidity; at 10:13 pm, 77.2 with 64% humidity. The high today was a typical 92.

P.S. So if the shining sun skews the digital reading of the temperature, what does that same sun do to the gardener toiling away? Please pass the lemonade, ma'am...

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2006
3:31 AM

Post #2338085

Watched the weather channel this evening when it said that we had a high of 103 today. Then walked outside to the thermometer on the porch in the shade and it was reading 105 at 5:30pm. I hate how the national weather bureau will only acknowledge our airport as the only official tempature. The same program was predicting that we will be in the 106-110 range for the rest of the week and into the weekend. Planning on alot of indoor activities that is for sure.
Fleurs
Columbia, SC

June 1, 2006
5:56 PM

Post #2340191

CARAT, but a dry heat, right? (I've always heard that dry heat doesn't hit you in the gut the way damp heat does). Still, you must feel as if you live inside a heated oven there.

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2006
12:23 AM

Post #2360067

Fleurs, well I am ready to move NOW!!!!!!!! Its 5:20pm 108 degrees and 69% humidity. Dark clouds lumming in the distance but they never drop any rain from them.
Fleurs
Columbia, SC

June 7, 2006
7:23 PM

Post #2363069

How in the world do humans -- and plants -- live in that kind of heat?!
missgarney
Cullowhee, NC
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2006
9:33 PM

Post #2363487

Some plants (and some people) wouldn't have it any other way! I know a woman who is from, of all places, northern France. But she LOVES the heat. She has lived all over the world and her two favorite places to live were the Ivory Coast and South Africa. She lived in Orlando, FL and never turned on the air conditioning in her home. FREAKY! But think about it...if we hadn't invented clothes, where would you prefer to live? Even 65 degrees might be a problem for some people.

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2006
11:44 PM

Post #2363958

Fluers, this is the reason for my 700.00 a month electric bill. And one of the top 10 reasons for moving. I do okay for the most part but it gets real old real fast. Today we actually got rain. It downpoured for about 40 minutes on the west side of the valley. The temps were in the low 100's before the rain and then afterwards it dropped quickly into the 80's which is really nice right now. Still sticky out but cool enough to be outside.

Missgarney, I agree with that theory. I am not a cold weather person in anyway. The change of seasons is nice, and snow is beautiful to look at through a window or on TV but I could never live in it. Once I get cold which happens quite easily it takes forever for me to warm up again. If clothes had never been invented I would have to be rich enough to chase summer around the globe or live on the equator where the temp remains the same all year. One of my dearest friends lives in Russia and hates the heat so much that every summer she visits all her friends that live in cold weather areas. She simply refuses to come here, even in the winter, which she calls a burp in summer for her.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America