Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Trash to Treasure: Thank you Terry for this forum!

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 26, Views: 650
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tradewind_64
Eden Prairie, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 13, 2006
10:05 PM

Post #1974313

I am usually on the Garden Junk or Trash to Treasure board on Gardenweb, but things are getting weird there so I am super happy to find a new home. I've been a member of DG for awhile but never posted, really, only founds lots of answers to gardening questions. Hope to post a lot more and look forward to seeing everyone's creations!

Here is a pic of my first bowling ball that I did a few months ago. I have 13 more to cover (I asked DH for a bowling ball, he brought me an entire bin-full. Oh my).

I used junk jewelry and discarded baubles in thinset.

Thumbnail by Tradewind_64
Click the image for an enlarged view.

justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2006
2:13 AM

Post #1974810

love it!
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2006
2:19 AM

Post #1974821

Okay I'm ignorant, what is thinset? A type of cement, glue or which or what?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2006
1:17 PM

Post #1975577

Tradewind, you're very welcome! But Dave deserves more than half the credit for the new forums. I whispered some encouraging words in his ear, and the next thing I knew - voila! we had lots o' new forums!

Bloooms, thinset is mortar - if memory serves correctly, it's formulated for projects that need a thinner bonding agent (some mortars are thicker and need to be applied more heavily to get a good bond.)

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2006
1:24 PM

Post #1975595

Oh, I like it! Welcome Tradewind_64...you are most welcome here, and I sincerely hope you find a new 'home' on the net with us. You have a wonderful creative mind...and we like to collect those!

Lisa are you thinking what I'm thinking...these look like something we ought to look into?
Tradewind_64
Eden Prairie, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 14, 2006
4:23 PM

Post #1975998

Thanks you guys! Terry is right about the thinset (I had it leftover from a tiling job). If any of you have bowling balls sitting around, decorating them is great fun and gives you something interesting for your garden. You can glue widgets on with GE Silicone II for Doors and Windows, make sure you get the clear kind. I have seen some bowling balls done with pennies (takes $5 worth), floral mosaics, mirrors, etc. Once I saw that someone made a catepillar with a whole bunch of them. It was way cute.

I hope ya'all do some, I can't wait to see pictures!
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2006
5:23 PM

Post #1976128

Thanks for the info. other things besides bowling balls would accept this treatment. Food for thought. Always room for that.
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2006
10:45 PM

Post #1976738

cute idea.. neat.. where in minne. yankee here but okla. for 40 yrs.
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2006
10:26 AM

Post #1977825

Oh I love it tradewind that look so cool. How it make?
Tradewind_64
Eden Prairie, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 15, 2006
9:44 PM

Post #1979198

BloomsWithaView, I have an abundance of baubles right now so I am trying to think of what else I can cover with it. Any ideas for me? Also, help me think of more things to go on the bowling balls, I have sooo many to cover!

hope43, I am in the Twin Cities metro area (western suburbs). I have an acre lot but it's very long and very skinny, so it's not nearly as spacious as it sounds.

REDROSE, It was very easy to make. I used thinset (mortar), put on a latex glove, and smeared it on the bowling ball. I am sure there is an nicer way to goop it on, but I just went the easy, indelicate route. Then I picked up my baubles and merely pressed them into the thinset. I did about half the ball, then let it sit and cure for about three or four days. Thinset is supposed to cure in 24 hours I think, but I had it on quite thick, so that the pieces would adhere. Once it was cured, I flipped the ball over and finished the other side. I did not cover the finger holes on the ball, in case at a later date I want to mount it on a metal rod or such.

Before it goes outside in the spring, I am going to spray it with a mosaic sealer, just for some extra protection. I don't know how this will work, just something I am going to try.

Hope you do one! I am going to do one with Miller Lite bottle caps, as a tribute to my hubby (I seem to have a never-ending supply, ha!) That one I will probably grout, though, instead of thinset.
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2006
10:36 AM

Post #1980244

Thanks Tradewind, someday.. I would like to make one like that. Thank again.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2006
11:49 AM

Post #1982459

I love the variation of colors and bling! Iwant, I want!
Note to self: go to thrift shop and buy bowling ball!
Tradewind_64
Eden Prairie, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 18, 2006
7:26 AM

Post #1984359

Sheila, better yet, ask at work or among family members for a FREE one! Or a local bowling alley might give you more than you can use in a lifetime. If you have Craig's List in your area, post an ad for bowling balls. Free is good!
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2006
1:50 AM

Post #1994374

Shoot if it will stick to a bowling ball, how about be-jeweling one of those [garden store / wallly world / target] plastic urn shapes or bird baths.?

I don't need a project. I DON'T need a project. I don't NEED a project.
There! I feel better now. it'll be alright. I just like to lurk. heehee
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2006
1:14 PM

Post #2010353

Yee Haw! What a wonderful discovery to find this forum by looking over the notes on forum posts in today's DG newsletter! I am forever collecting junk and scraps of metal and wood and trinkets with the hope of putting them together into some new assemblage (but seldom find the time!) I'm sure I'll find lots of kindred minds here and already have inspiration to start gluing together some of my trash!

Thanks,

Jeremy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2006
1:19 PM

Post #2010364

P. S. You may want to take a look at my instructions for making a "Zen" bell from an old propane tank that I posted some time ago in the "Garden Art" forum. It turned out great and was not too difficult to do.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/525057/

Jeremy

This message was edited Jan 30, 2006 9:58 AM
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2006
2:41 PM

Post #2010498

Now that is a Royal Bowling ball...

When my church had a Rummage Sale...we were left with 6 bowling balls...they gave them to me and I have BIG plans for them...I was just wondering what type of glue was used to create these beautiful yard arts.

I have been saving all the AOL discs for a while...am going to cut them into small pieces and mount them on a ball.

Thanks for the instructions.

Jo
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2006
11:03 PM

Post #2011219

Hi, Jo. I, too, am a hoarder of AOL discs and other shiny unused CDs. I was able to use a couple of the CD disks for the inside of a jewelry box which was also made from off-the-shelf components from Home Depot. Just to let you know, I found the CD disks VERY hard to cut! Maybe I just didn't have the right tool, they seem to be made from a nearly indestructable plastic! But good luck with the project!

Jeremy
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2006
11:49 PM

Post #2011329

I haven't tried cutting them yet...still in the "collective stage". What did you find did the job best?...dropping your computer monitor on them? LOL Jo

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2006
12:47 AM

Post #2016308

Here is the cutest fish made with a CDs. I traded at a plant swap for them. They are on fishing line with spinners and they twirl and sway in the wind.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2006
2:45 AM

Post #2016612

Now that is very inventive!! I'll have to try something like this. Thanks! Jo
Seedsower
Franklin, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2010
2:16 AM

Post #7696023

Old thread...but was looking for more garden art ideas, so I started working "backwards" in the threads. This is really, really different (and really awesome!). I'm always seeing cheap jewelry at rummages so now I have a new idea for a gazing ball.

blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7696484

the long narrow welding tanks make great zen bells.. the tone when rung is really deep a
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7696613

AOL dopesn't send me CD's anymore...LOL I never did learn what the fins and tail were made of...I still want to make some. Jo
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7700895

And I began to think I was a little odd for saving baubles. I've had some of them since I was a
teenager, and yet I can't let them go. I have visions of a large mosaic on the wall using them, LOL.

Neat project!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #7707550

Thanks for the bump on this one. Great idea!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #7712036

OH geeze gonna have to go garage saleing to find baubles now !!!! Ive got 3 BBs to do something with,I have 2 that are cool already they are old rubber bbs,blk and tan and teal and blk marbleized.NICE WORK too cool

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM
Gazing Balls???? Eufaula 40 Feb 6, 2008 4:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America