Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Trash to Treasure: A dish totem for the garden come spring

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 20, Views: 245
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tradewind_64
Eden Prairie, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 13, 2006
10:12 PM

Post #1974325

My first totem made from thrift-store ceramic stuff (I'm working on another right now)

Thumbnail by Tradewind_64
Click the image for an enlarged view.

justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2006
2:11 AM

Post #1974806

oh my gosh! how cool is that!!! love it!
georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2006
5:05 AM

Post #1975148

that is so cool... I want one..lol
downscale_babe
surfside beach, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2006
1:47 PM

Post #1975637

I just love it!What a great idea.What glue do you use?
Tradewind_64
Eden Prairie, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 14, 2006
4:09 PM

Post #1975963

Thanks you guys! I got the idea from posters on the GardenWeb...there are some people who do lots and lots of 'em. I hope they find their way here eventually. All the pieces I used were chipped or mended already. This was my first totem, it leans a little, but I like it anyway :-) For glue, I used GE Silicone II for Doors and Windows (clear). I don't know how long it will hold up, but if/when the weather smashes it, I'll just have mosaic pieces. Ha.
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2006
10:49 PM

Post #1976749

really neat but i love the hibiscus vase would used it for vase all lovely pieces..

Twyla
downscale_babe
surfside beach, SC
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2006
10:50 PM

Post #1976754

I sell old pottery ( in an antique mall ) and have lots of chipped stuff.I will start playing with these.Who knows what could develope.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2006
5:17 AM

Post #1977687

oh, i want one too!
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2006
10:28 AM

Post #1977826

Oh my wow that is cool too.
Tradewind_64
Eden Prairie, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 15, 2006
10:04 PM

Post #1979245

downscale_babe (love your name!), if you have access to lovely antique dishes that nobody wants because of chipping, you are gonna be in totem-heaven. There is a woman on GW who makes these with lovely translucent antique glass that's chipped, and she sells hers at an antique space. People snap them up like crazy! It's garden junk for the collectors...they might not want chipped depression glass in their cabinets, but they would love them as teacup birdfeeders or garden totems. You can always cover up chips with a well-placed prism or ceramic rose or such. I can't wait to see what you do!

For those who don't have access to antique dishes...chipped dishes are usually very cheap at yard sales. Also, if you put the word out to your friends, they will start bringing you their dishes when they end up chipped. Just set aside a big box in your garage, and periodically take the pieces out and play with them. When you are ready, whip out the GE II or some marine glue and make something fun!
drlith
Lanham, MD

January 15, 2006
10:43 PM

Post #1979342

How do you secure it in the ground to keep it from toppling over in the wind?
Tradewind_64
Eden Prairie, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 16, 2006
3:35 AM

Post #1980075

drlith, I am going to glue it to a microwave turntable plate (I find those a lot at thrift stores) when it comes time to put it in the garden. Then I just plan on burying that piece. I honestly don't know how well it's going to hold up to weather. But they were all damaged pieces anyway, so if they break, then I get to use them for mosaic :-) I am new to this, and I hope to have more answers by the time it's been through a gardening season.
Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

January 16, 2006
2:55 PM

Post #1980611

Tradewind, your totem is a most awesome idea! I love it! I imagine that even wood or metal odds 'n' ends could be used to construct one. Oooooh, you've got me thinking now.

Thanks for the inspiration,
Erynne
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2006
3:12 AM

Post #1982163

That is so cool ! You could do one with all cups with handles
and let climbing vines grow up and thru the handles. Thanks for the
wonderful idea.
hmstyl
Cleveland, GA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2006
6:06 PM

Post #1983115

that is fabulous! I am going to start hanging out at the thrift stores looking for cheap dishes and such! What a marvelous idea to have handles for something like morning glories to climb!
Tradewind_64
Eden Prairie, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 18, 2006
7:22 AM

Post #1984357

I LOVE the idea of handles for climbing vines. And Erynne you are right, these could be made out of just about anything. I cannot wait to see what you guys come up with. You made me realize that it might be possible to stack assorted old candle lantern thingies and have a functional totem that would glow with tea lights at night. Thank you for the idea!

The only thing I love more than doing artsy junk is seeing everybody else's artsy junk that they do! And for those looking for dishes, if you or your spouse or SO work outside the home, ask coworkers for pretty chipped dishes, junk jewelry, and such. Lots of people have stuff like this hanging around...too good to throw away but not really their thing. If they know you will make something purdy with it, I bet they'd love to send it your way.

Now get busy junkin' and show me some pics. I need a photo fix!
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2006
9:27 PM

Post #1987360

This is the prettiest totem I've seen yet. I love it! :)
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2006
10:25 PM

Post #1993925

I had so much fun at Goodwill! And I found an even bigger and better thrift store called Value Thrift. This last place had so many dishes I was exhausted before I left. I never did see everything they had. But I'll go there again for sure.
My first one is a plant stand. It's about rearend high. The heavy plate at the bottom makes a nice steady base. The top is the matching soup bowl. I'm hoping I'll be able to set a pretty pot of Ivy on the top and give it to my Mom and she will oooo and ahhhhh over it. (and she'll eventually kill the poor plant) lol!. This is so much prettier in person than it looks in the picture.

Thumbnail by Vee8ch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2006
5:37 PM

Post #2001917

Such creativity. Thanks everyone for the ideas. Gonna find me a thrift shop.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2006
11:35 PM

Post #2002636

Heck, I'm gonna clean out my cabinets and check the basement...!!
Tradewind_64
Eden Prairie, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2006
5:16 AM

Post #2010023

Vee8ch, awesome! I love it; great work! That is an excellent idea, to make a plant stand...your Mom is gonna love it...but...can you give it up???? Better make another one for yourself, quick!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America