Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Clean and Clutter-free: Vegetable oil in carpet....any suggestions?

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 14, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2006
1:39 AM

Post #1974731

Does anyone know who to get vegitable oil out of carpet? My lil 2 year old grandson just dumped a half a bottle on my kids carpet. Any suggestions would ve appreciated!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2006
3:53 AM

Post #1975065

Try soaking it up with kitty litter. Leave it on for a good while, then vaccum. Then try a laundry pre-treat product. Then, regular carpet shampoo.
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2006
3:18 PM

Post #1975841

Thank you, I will give them this information.
skaz421
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2006
1:24 PM

Post #1978002

Brinda,

I use a product called SpotShot to clean stains. It's amazing stuff - it cleaned up dried paint out of my carpet. Might be worth a try. It's available everywhere.

Steve

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2006
6:46 AM

Post #1980182

You could also use and iron warm with a towel under it.
I would also try some of the hand cleaners from automotive with orange oil. It cuts grease.

Someone told me simple green, but the one sold at the auto parts store is alot better than one at walmart.

Goo Gone may work.

EDITED to say try anything on a spot not noticible.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2006 1:48 AM
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 16, 2006
6:39 PM

Post #1981042

Shampoo!

My ex DH once got motor oil on a frilly little girl baby sock...I used shampoo and it entirely removed it.

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2006
7:58 PM

Post #1981154

Brinda, if you have a wet/dry vac, try to saturate the area with soapy water and pull it out. My nephew was helping bring groceries in my house a few years back and dropped a gallon bottle of veggie oil on my carpet. It was fairly close to an inside corner of a wall, so I pulled the carpet up and cleaned the foundation, the carpet pad and the carpet from below. I still didn't get it all out or I managed to leave some soap residue in the carpet because that was the spot that would tell me that it was time to get the carpets cleaned again. I tryed, all the different products above except the SpotShot and I still had the problem. I didn't have a carpet cleaner or a wet vac at the time either.

Best of luck to you.

Casey

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2006
7:38 PM

Post #1991485

I was going to suggest hair Shampoo too.

and then rinse with some vinegar..and keep at it a few times if it all doesn't come put the first time.
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2006
11:26 PM

Post #2029465

Dawn dish detergent
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2006
4:25 AM

Post #2030174

Dawn is a great product, but the only thing with the protiens in it, it will also eat any glue on the back of the carpet. I learned that when I painted ceramics. It would actually eat the glue that held in the bristles.

I guess that is glue on the back of carpet.

Did you get this oil out?

Blessings,

Sandy ^9^
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2006
8:27 AM

Post #2030276

You don't want to leave it sit on it a long time. just mix with some water, scrub with a brush,
blot up with towels and then steam clean right after to remove residual.
I have cleaned paint brushes with it but I rinse well right away and dry. Don't leave them sitting in it.
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2006
7:36 PM

Post #2031094

Hi everyone and thanks so much for all you help!

I just realized that I never responded to anyone on here. And yes, things are much better with the carpet. They ended up using kitty litter...probably about 5 or 6 times. They would put it down and then take it up in 3 or 4 hours...and then put more down. It really helped soak up the oil. Then they used SpotShot on the stain. I was extremely impressed how it looked.

My DIL ran out and purchased a large rug to place over it, thinking that it would never come out. I'm guessing that is why I forgot about this thread. Now I see a beautiful rug there...and no spot! LOL You all were great! And my son really thanks you too! He was so impressed that I got answers as fast as I did! LOLOLOL Now he doesn't think I'm so 'nuts' when it comes to DG. Hahahaha...I told him that you could find out anything you needed to know here!

Thanks again!!!!

Here's a pic of the little angel that dumped all that oil! LOL

Thumbnail by Brinda
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2006
11:31 PM

Post #2031535

Ahhh. .how can you get mad??? He's a cutie. At least your spot was cooking oil. My grandson drug a gallon of bleach with a loose lid through the living room on a dark blue carpet. It came out looking lavender where it splashed. My DD bought a coverup rug just like you did to cover up one huge spot. Worked like a charm.
chunx
San Diego, CA

February 9, 2006
7:03 PM

Post #2033145

If it happens again in the future or anyone else needs to get out grease, I used Capture. I had my carpet cleaned by Stanley Steamer and they told me about it. They couldn't remove a spot of black grease and told me to try it. They sell it at Home Depot (it's in the carpeting department, not with the regular cleaning products) and other stores or you can buy it online. You just mist the area first with their prespray, then sprinkle the Capture powder down and brush it in. Wait for 30 minutes and vacuum. Everything came up and I had tried every commercial product out there.
diamondpatch
kettering northampto
United Kingdom

April 4, 2006
6:23 PM

Post #2163296

i would have sprinkled it with bicarbonate of soda first to suck it up, then vacuum, then clean any residue with carpet shampoo, or soda crystal solution which shifts grease like magic, great stuff for drains too!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America