Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Clean and Clutter-free: Favorite bathroom cleaner?

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 79, Views: 306
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2006
1:34 PM

Post #1980473

I really like the "Comet" bathroom cleaner, although I don't like the fumes. But we have very hard water, so it's necessary to use some heavy-duty products to counteract the stains and deposits that build up. I alternate between using Comet to clean everything, and a spray bottle with bleach for the mildew spots in the corners. (And every day, we use the daily shower cleaning products.)

I've tried several enviromentally-friendly(ier) products that are supposedly as effective as the more caustic stuff - but they just didn't work as well. (And it's not just the psychology of a clean "smell" to the room either - I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed and it didn't take off the hard water stains.)

Anyone else have a favorite bathroom cleaner? One that might not force me to hold my breath for several minutes while I clean the shower stalls?

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2006
2:27 PM

Post #1980568

I have used Scrubbing Bubbles for years. We have a resurfaced clawfoot tub, and the refinisher told us not to use an abrasive cleanser on it. Recently DH brought home Scrubbing Bubbles Mildew Stain Remover, and I have been using it on tub, shower, toilets, all the sinks. It does have bleach in it, but it doesn't overpower me. Sometimes I use vinegar by itself to dissolve stubborn hard water stains.
cjolene
Emporia, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2006
4:44 PM

Post #1980830

Lysol Toilet Bowl- it smells minty and it gets rid of hard water deposits on the sink and around the shower

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2006
5:30 PM

Post #1980917

Hmmm. That's an idea. I use the Lysol toilet bowl cleaner for the toilet - never thought about using it anywhere else.

I've also used the "scrubbing bubbles" (I remember when that was a brand-new product!) but I just haven't had much luck with it with our hard water here. (I do use the vinegar trick a lot - I plug up the bathroom sinks and pour some vinegar in there, and let it set until the chrome is shiny, or at least until the deposits are loosened enough I can rub/scrape them loose and polish the sink.

With a septic system, I try to be mindful of using too many chemicals to clean my house, especially those going down the drain. But even so, I find I've got a couple products for the kitchen sinks (a little bleach in some water to soak the mats and the stoppers once a week, plus soft-scrub with bleach to clean the opposite sink; I try to switch sinks every week, so one gets soaked, the other gets scrubbed.) Then there's the ammonia in the mop water, although if the weather is decent, I take it outside to dump instead of sending it into the tank.)

I use a toilet cleaner (I used to just add a few tablespoons of bleach and scrub the toilet good, but the hard water deposits started forming around the rim - argh), plus a shower/tub cleanser for sink, counters, tub/shower and floor.

I don't know...I guess I'm being conscientious enough with the chemicals I release down the drains, since the septic guy said my tank looked great for a five-person family (this was after he cleaned out the roots that were clogging the line from the house - which is what made me think the tank was full and needed to be pumped ;o)

The only other chemical going into the tank is laundry detergent (homemade when I'm on the ball, otherwise a very mild detergent), with vinegar for fabric softener, and the once-a-week load of bleached load of towels, socks, and bath mats.

But back to bathroom cleansers - has anyone tried the C-L-R stuff? And does it work? (I've got some shower doors that are badly clouded from hard water stains...)
sbarr
Albany (again), NY
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2006
7:15 PM

Post #1981075

Terry, have you tried Zud?

http://frentzandsons.com/eshop/catalog/116.htm

Does great getting rid of rust and other gunk, but doesn't seem as caustic as Comet? Pretty cheap, too, if I recall. I used it a lot when I had a white enamel sink that would get rust stains from pans or whatever.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2006
9:52 PM

Post #1981323

Terry, I have hard water too. I don't know how you could do this for a large area, but hot vinegar does a much better and quicker job than cold. I took my shower faucets down and put them in hot vinegar and they looked new with no scrubbing. They looked brand new.
cjolene
Emporia, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2006
9:59 PM

Post #1981335

Wow- I still had to scrub a bit using Lysol...it was just more manageable. Maybe I should be trying hot vinegar instead of Lysol to clean the sink!!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2006
10:27 PM

Post #1981400

The wheels are churning now...I think the next time I run a quart of vinegar through my coffeemaker, I'll try recycling the piping hot vinegar to soak some things that need it - thanks for the tip!
fireant13

(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2006
1:30 AM

Post #1983970

Tilex soap scum works pretty good in the shower. I let it spray it and let it sit on the surfaces for 10 to 15 minutes, then run the shower on all hot for several minutes, then use a scrub brush where needed, and rinse clean.
SandiTX
McKinney, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2006
2:27 AM

Post #1984058

I use grapefruit seed extract, vinegar, baking soda & water. I had to totally change the products I use for cleaning since we got our conure. I have to arrange for him to be out of the house for days if I have to use bug bombs or use oven cleaner.

Thumbnail by SandiTX
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2006
4:42 AM

Post #1984283

1 in 10 chlorine bleach solution. It's stinky, but it really whitens porcelain, and I know that it is killing any creepy crawlies that are exposed to it. There are now scented bleaches that aren't quite as strong smelling, but you'll still know you use bleach two days later.

Still, it works very, very well, especially for stains.

-Joe
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2006
4:56 AM

Post #1984296

what a sweet bird! is that his stuffed animal?

i would love to have that cleaner recipe. my mom can't handle cleaner fumes either. where do i get grapesed extract?

tf
CindyDale
Saint Petersburg, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2006
11:30 AM

Post #1984472

One of my new things is making my own cleaners. I learned to do this by reading on the Web. I am using a spray bottle with castile soap and tea tree oil in water for a general bathroom cleaner and vinegar and water for a daily shower spray (it does make the bath smell like pickles for a while though--LOL). It seems to work as well as what I was using before.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2006
1:12 PM

Post #1984610

I use Simple Green for a LOT of my cleaning: toilets, counters, floors, etc.. It's non-toxic and biodegradable and doesn't smell TOO bad. I use Comet for scrubbing.
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2006
3:27 PM

Post #1984897

I just saw a neat tip on BHG TV this morning.
After you clean the sink, apply car wax, let dry and buff to a shine. The soap scum will not stick to the basin as much.
I'm anxious to try it, although the only car wax I have at the moment is in a spray bottle and you wipe it off without letting it dry. Think I'll try it anyway.
SandiTX
McKinney, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2006
8:11 PM

Post #1985337

TamaraFaye, I got my gse from a health food store. I also use an avian germicidal detergent for other cleaning (one quart of it makes 32 gallons).

Here's a couple of links with great tips for safe cleaning in the home: http://www.eppa.ca/meetings/spring%20cleaning.html and http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm

Actually, the stuffed animal belongs to my oldest daughter. That pic was taken in the car on a trip to Galveston. I think we were on the ferry at the time. We usually take him with us if we're gone longer than a weekend, otherwise we leave him at my moms.
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2006
4:08 AM

Post #1986187

We used to have a lady that came to clean our house that used lemon oil on the soap scum on shower doors. WORKS LIKE MAGIC ! I couldn't believe it. Then she would clean the oil off with whatever bathroom cleaner she was using at the time. Clear and clean as a whistle. I think, every other time, she just left some of the oil on there...made it hard for the soap scum to stick to the glass. The oil cuts right thru the fog on the doors.
cjolene
Emporia, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2006
4:12 AM

Post #1986194

where do you get lemon oil? I definitely need some of that!
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2006
4:56 AM

Post #1986252

It's in the furniture polish section at most any store that carries cleaning supplies.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2006
12:30 PM

Post #1986508

sbarr, I haven't tried Zud - I'll take a peek at it. Does it work better than off-the-shelf products?

ginlyn, we did the car wax trick with a walk-in shower where two of the walls were "cultured marble" - the installers gave us the same advice, and it did work well to keep the soap scum from accumulating. I never thought about doing it with sinks (wonder if it would keep my kids toothpaste dribbles from sticking? *grin*)

Lemon oil to cut soap scum - whodathunk it. Good idea, Peggy! I'll try that the next time I'm buying stuff. (Those shower doors are my arch enemies when it comes to cleaning this house.)
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2006
2:23 PM

Post #1986696

Remember the saying, " fight fire with fire"? I've found that after taking a bath, if you lather your cloth with the same soap that created the bathtub ring, it comes right off. You should do it immediately though, before it dries.
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2006
3:10 PM

Post #1986763

I use 409 on just about everything. It really cuts through the soap scum in the shower. I also spray Tilex after every shower and use Chlorox drop-ins in the toilet.

I think I'm gonna try some of that lemon oil though...and maybe Softscrub for the stains in my white formica kichen counters. The 409 does a pretty good job on those, but the stains don't come out completely.
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2006
12:55 PM

Post #1988523

My favorite bathroom cleaner is my Son. It works pretty well.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2006
1:16 PM

Post #1988556

Does he do housecalls?

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

January 20, 2006
2:19 PM

Post #1988666

I just discovered the new Bam! I have a terrible hard time with keeping the bathtub sparkling, my dh works with some nasty stuff and both he and my son love working outside also. They get that "guy grime" going and it is hard to clean. The Bam, I just spray on and light wipe with the sponge and wash with shower head and its clean! Any light cleaning, I love 409! But the Bam even does the lime stains and toilet stains.

My 409 is my everywhere cleaner though, especially kitchen counter and stove.

Debbie
Woofens
Dillonvale, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2006
2:21 PM

Post #1988674

Mr Clean Magic erasers :) I swear by those silly little things, and you can get a package of 2 for 2 bucks at Dollar General. I use them alot around the house, even washed the walls with them :)

Janis
sbarr
Albany (again), NY
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2006
8:41 AM

Post #1990384

Terry - Re: Zud - It works just as well, but no fumes, etc. I first found out about it from my neurotic tenant when I lived in Texas and she'd whine about any fumes. Note, I'm not disregarding real environmental sensitivities, she was just neurotic and would whine about almost everything. She also thought my pagan housemates were sending evil spirits downstairs. LOL

Where I REALLY saw the difference was rust stains. Comet, you name it, nothing will get rust rings from pans, except this stuff.

I'm definitintely enjoying this thread, getting more ideas for when I move back to the US, which is hopefully this Spring.
purplepetunia
Savannah, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2006
9:40 AM

Post #1990424

I have enjoyed all of these coments. thanks for the reminders of these oldtime remedys. I did use zud and comet years ago. Then came along all the convient spray cleaners. I think I will go back to zud. On the shower tile, I used "Johnson's Wax", and it worked well. I have also used lemon oil. Many of the spray cleaners contain vinegar (windex). I thought soft scrub was the best thing since comet, and still use it. I use the gel formula, it is easier to rinse off. Like to use clorax clean up in the bathroom and kitchen. Strange how we get away from these inexpensive remedy's. Tilex is good for mildew in the shower.
Vinegar is great for so many things, but my husband can't stand the smell of it.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2006
9:09 PM

Post #1991687

Anybody have a suggestion for getting soap scum off of fiberglass? I have one of the awful fiberglass shower/bath pieces. Most stuff is harmful to fiberglass if it works, doesn't work if it's safe on fiberglass.
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2006
9:15 PM

Post #1991702

Mine is fiberglass too and I use 409. It cuts through the soap scum well, but I do use a scrub brush too.
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2006
9:41 PM

Post #1991747

Thanks, mgh!
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2006
11:26 PM

Post #1991927

=)
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2006
6:49 PM

Post #1993521

I have been trying to stay away from harsh chemical cleansers for a few years now. I just keep trying different things. I have been using baking soda to clean the sinks and tubs for quite a while but just bought some Borax and have been using it too. They both seem to work well and don't have the horrible smell like Ajax.

Everything I have is fiberglass too. A mixture of vinegar, water and some lemon juice has been working well to get rid of soap scum. The acid in the lemon seems to cut thru it better than just the vinegar. The smell isn't pleasant but it does go away quickly.
I've been using the after shower spray by Method and I think it is actually keeping it cleaner.

Hydrogen peroxide works well to remove some stains and mildew.

I'm currently using Borax, several Method cleaners, and TKO. As a backup I always have 409 because it does everything.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

January 24, 2006
5:00 PM

Post #1997306

The car wax trick helps for the fiberglass shower walls, but we have evil water and I can't find anything to get rid of the gray stains on the textured floor. Anyone else have that problem? Will try the hot vinegar.

We also have parrots so avoid anything that creates fumes. Have had some success with borax, vinegar, baking soda (make a thick paste and let it sit on sink stains for an hour or so), Dr Bonner's soaps (the lavender and peppermint smell nice).

When we moved into our new house, I vowed not to scratch my kitchen sinks and so far have avoided using any cleansers. I scrub them with hot soapy water and spray with a 1:10 bleach solution once a week or when needed. I use Zud or Barkeeper's Friend on the utility sink.

Also, believe it or not, I got some of those 'magnet' things you put in the toilet tank and they worked great - stopped the hard water scum and now I just scrub with the cleaner of the day.

Next purchase on our wish list is some type of water softener (not salt).

Kathleen

cjolene
Emporia, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2006
8:20 PM

Post #1997621

Are the grey stains on the floor in a basement bathroom? I always thought that was mildew that'd gotten underneath the linoleum somehow.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2006
8:28 PM

Post #1997633

Kathleen, "magnet" things? what magnet things?

I have really hard water and it's really quite difficult to keep the lime build-up out of the toilet... I need something to help me get rid of lime build up and then we can go from there. :)

Diann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2006
9:51 PM

Post #1997760

Re car wax, I have a fiber glass whirlpool tub. (Same size and shape as a regular tub). When we bought it, they sold us a wax for it - much like car wax, but not as heavy as any car waxes I've used. I don't use it regularly, but it does help. Most of the time, we just clean it with Mr clean in water and a toothbrush to get the grunge off around the jets.

Wish I could get 409 in Canada.

Ann
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2006
4:54 PM

Post #1999497

Cleaning the fiberglass tubs with a scrub brush, especially in the corners, is really hard on 75-year-old knees. So now I run just a little water into the tub, make a paste with dishwasher detergent (dry form), and scrub with old broom! Still calls for elbowgrease, but at least I can work from a standing position.
After running the vinegar through the coffee maker, I put the used vinegar into an open glass bowl and into the microwave. After 5 minutes on high, the interior wipes shiny clean with a damp cloth or sponge.
To put a high shine on chrome faucets after removing the hard water deposits, I coat with a dab of toothpaste and polish with a soft dry cloth. Yuska
cjolene
Emporia, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2006
8:41 PM

Post #1999938

what kind of vinegar are all of you using? any kind?
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2006
9:46 PM

Post #2000062

For cleaning, I use white pickling vinegar. It is 9% acidity and does the job faster. I buy it by the gallon in the regular vinegar section in the supermarket.
(I also use it to kill the roots of bermuda grass when I pull out runners in the brick walk.)
CindyDale
Saint Petersburg, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2006
1:55 AM

Post #2000845

Yuska, I buy those vinegar bottles too.

You know what else that white vinegar is great for? Poured full strength on doggie accidents. It works much better than the pet stain remover that costs $8 a bottle.

I've started using it on the floors too, diluted in a bucket of water. Amazing stuff.

Cindy

GRENTHUMBS
West Warwick, RI
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2006
2:23 AM

Post #2000925

Vinegar is the best!
Terry, I have been a house keeper for quite a while, I take pride in what I do to keep the harmful cleaners out of peoples homes, away from the children, and pets. Some of the best products for cleaning are as follows;
Mr.clean magic ereasers, used to clean scuff marks, crayon, showers, (I like to use it on MY shower doors, for hard water stains) tubs (being mindful that it MIGHT scratch) Those things are great! I swear by them and I have a troop of kids that sometimes make some wierd and hard to deal with messes.
I also like SimpleGreen sorry I can't remember how they print that on the bottles, thats got a nice smell and is a kinder (without being gental on dirt) cleaner.
I also bought the Envirosteamer it steams the floors without any cleaners, just water, turns it to steam and I'm alittle embarrassed to say that the first time I used it, it took out stains on the floor that I had scrubbed for years and couldn't get up. It comes with pads that go on the bottom and go in the washer when your finished. I've had it for four years and still use the same two pads that came with it. I found it at Sears and I believe its cheaper now to.
Happy house keeping,
Dena
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

January 26, 2006
4:16 PM

Post #2001779

Ticker - here's a link to the magnet thingies:

http://www.homefocuscatalog.com/product.asp?product=159282zz&dept%5Fid=520&subdept%5Fid=522

I don't know about the bacteria, but it stopped the mineral scale build-up.

CJolene - the grey stains are on the textured floor of my fiberglass shower. No amount of scrubbing will take them off -- of course, my scrubbing these days is not too powerful. Perhaps I'll try my steam cleaner. In our last house, we had saltillo tiles throughout and the Envirosteamer was great in the kitchen.

Kathleen

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2006
3:13 AM

Post #2003165

Thanks Kathleen. I just might have to try one... We have really hard water here. Heck, I'm sitting on a limestone shelf. My husband put in a 80' split rail fence out front and by the time he got to the west end of the fence he could only dig about a foot deep.

Thanks again!

Diann
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

January 27, 2006
5:13 AM

Post #2003316

We have hard water with lots of iron in it. I use simple green for almost everything. Sometimes I have to use simple green and SOS pads to get the showers cleaned up good.

We have a fiberglass tub surround too, and I haven't had the simple green or the SOS pads hurt or scratch them.
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2006
2:13 AM

Post #2014318

We have a new house with fiberglass bottom in shower also. I know exactly what you're talking about the gray on the floor that won't come off.
I get mine off by pouring a few drops of straight bleach on it and spreading it around with an old toothbrush. After a few minutes, I scrub the textured area a little with toothbrush, rinse and it's gone. Works great for me. I've always done this and so far it's never damaged my surface. You might want to use a dilution or only do a small spot...just in case it might be damaging to your surface. It's never hurt mine and it shines great after, but I'd feel bad if it hurt yours.

Also Terry, be really careful with bleach and comet. If those 2 are mixed, they put off a very toxic fume. Made my MIL faint from inhaling while cleaning the bathroom. You probably already knew that though, but just a reminder.
sedum37
Westford, MA
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2006
7:22 PM

Post #2015677

Zud is the best for getting out rust and water stains in toilets! Make a paste with the zud and a little water and leave on it the stains for a while. Come back later to scrub off. If the stains are below the water you can drain some of the water before applying it. It is very good for people sensitive to chemicals as was noted it has no fumes.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

February 2, 2006
12:04 AM

Post #2016222

Thanks PeggieK, I'll try that if nothing else works.
Solitare
Denver, CO

March 10, 2006
5:18 AM

Post #2100760

I know this is an old thread, but have you all seen the latest "scrubbing bubbles"?

http://www.automaticshowercleaner.com/

Does anyone but me see the potential for a mess? punch the button and the phone rings, kid screams, etc. and I forget to pull the curtain and have scrubbing bubbles everywhere!!!

GRENTHUMBS
West Warwick, RI
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2006
5:35 AM

Post #2100777

I can see alot of things with this product...everything but a clean shower.
patp
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2006
12:57 AM

Post #2105782

We have hard well water and a septic system.

I've tried scrubbing with pumice stone to remove mineral deposits in the toilet bowl with little success. Now, weekly, I brush-clean the bowl with Cameo Copper, Brass & Porcelain Cleaner, flush, then leave the brush in the bowl and sprinkle a generous amount of OxyClean in the bowl before going to bed at night. By morning, the bowl and brush are clean.

Soft Scrub Liquid Gel with Bleach or Cameo Aluminum & Stainless Steel Cleaner works well on the kitchen stainless steel sink.

Clean Shower sprayed on the faux marble shower walls and glass doors following every shower keeps them free of soap buildup and mildew.

The fiberglass shower is difficult to keep clean!!!!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

March 14, 2006
10:21 PM

Post #2112937

I don't know, that Scrubbing Bubbles thing might work. I used to use a spray I got at Target - just sprayed it on after showering and it cut down on the water stains on the shower door. It was one of those 'boutique' looking sprays; just a one word name like 'Method' or something. Spraying the whole shower would be a pain though (arthritis). I think one of the key ingredients was deionized water - I read somewhere that it makes the scum let go or something.

Anyway, I used the hot vinegar on my fiberglass shower floor and it worked! Now I have a clean coffee pot, tea kettle, AND the stains are gone. Yippee! Funny, I used cold vinegar before, but it didn't work. I couldn't handle a toothbrush, but I used my Scumbuster. Sometimes those gadgets are worthwhile! I can hold the SB easily and it works for lots of things.

Now I'm off to look for magic dryer balls. LOL

Kathleen
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2006
2:19 AM

Post #2113412

Clorox Clean-Up.

If they take this off the market, I will stop cleaning my house.

Literally. This product is the best thing since sliced butter.
Hats off to you, Clorox!

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2006
6:55 PM

Post #2114793

The Method after shower spray stuff really does work. The trick is to be consistent in using it. :)

Diann
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2006
1:00 AM

Post #2158848

To take that gray film off fiberglass tubs and showers I use The Works for bathtubs and it works great but it is really strong so use good ventilation and rubber gloves. I don't use it every week -just when the tub is really skanky!! The Works for Toilets works well too but both are strong chemicals so use with caution and don't splash on your carpet.I'm sure it's not on any list of environmentally friendly products. MW
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

April 7, 2006
11:31 PM

Post #2172355

I have this shower liner thing (is it fiberglass?) that has a textured floor and built ins for the shampoo bottles, with a glass door. I'm not the greatest house cleaner, but this is ridiculous! It's really skanky, all right. I'm going to try The Works with the window opened WIDE as soon as it's warmer here, I'm embarrassed it's so filthy.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

April 7, 2006
11:44 PM

Post #2172382

Plain baking soda is a fume-free alternative to comet and works just as well.
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

April 7, 2006
11:46 PM

Post #2172388

andi - you mean just make a paste with it? I'll try that first, since it's cheap and if I have it already, it's FREE! ;-)
andidandi
Arlington, VA

April 7, 2006
11:55 PM

Post #2172410

Yes. Just use it exactly as you would Comet. Spray a little water beforehand or make a paste.
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2006
12:49 AM

Post #2172552

I use baking soda all the time. I stopped using Comet and Ajax because I was having to hold a rag over my nose like a gas mask.

Mr. Clean eraser sponges work really good on the fiberglass showers too.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2006
2:43 AM

Post #2172831

Since I started this thread, I guess I should explain: I don't use plain Comet (the powder stuff). I use Comet Bathroom Cleaner, which is a liquid in a spray pump bottle.
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

April 8, 2006
4:21 AM

Post #2173110

Oh, that's a huge difference, LOL.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 8, 2006
4:44 PM

Post #2173963

I'll vote for baking soda, too. And sometimes leaving the paste on a stain (as in the kitchen sink) will help remove it. It's the harshest thing I use on my kitchen sinks.
mommy00
Chambersburg, PA

April 16, 2006
9:23 PM

Post #2195260

I really love to use Pinesol. The smell lasts for days and it does an awesome job too.
Gift_of_Reading
Rancho Cordova, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2006
6:07 PM

Post #2197140

Any surefire answers for shower doors that haven't been wiped down or squeegeed in what must have been years? I've Tilex'd and lemon oil'd and got only the first layer of the calcium buildup off. I'm positive that it's not an intentional finish on the glass. It's just not coming off.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2006
6:11 PM

Post #2197149

Have you tried Simple Green? I use that sometimes, and it works pretty well. Make sure you have the doors and windows open though, it's strong. In the corners and areas of bad build up, I've also used an SOS pad, and it didn't scratch.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2006
4:23 AM

Post #2201849

Re shower doors - have you tried vinegar? I got the water stains off my shower floor with hot vinegar - I ran it through the coffee maker first.

Also, I've started using Method spray on the glass doors and the spots are coming off. You spray after the last shower and don't wipe it off. Target carries it here. Has a strong scent when you first spray it - ylang ylang - but even with my allergies I don't find it irritating.
Gift_of_Reading
Rancho Cordova, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2006
3:58 PM

Post #2202684

Thanks!

I'll try the vinegar first and then the Method spray. I figured I couldn't wait much longer to clean the door because when our white cat walks into the shower and literally disappears. LOL
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2006
7:19 PM

Post #2205959

Terry,

You make your own homemade laundry soap? How do you do this? Pretty neat!

Aimee
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2006
8:56 PM

Post #2206241

Hi, Aimee! Here is a link to the homemade laundry thread (actually it is thread #3!): http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/540316/
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2006
1:45 PM

Post #2208123

thanks!!!!
fadridrocky
Ontario
Canada

November 25, 2012
2:10 AM

Post #9341750

[quote="Terry"]I really like the "Comet" bathroom cleaner, although I don't like the fumes. But we have very hard water, so it's necessary to use some heavy-duty products to counteract the stains and deposits that build up. I alternate between using Comet to clean everything, and a spray bottle with bleach for the mildew spots in the corners. (And every day, we use the daily shower cleaning products.)

I've tried several enviromentally-friendly(ier) products that are supposedly as effective as the more caustic stuff - but they just didn't work as well. (And it's not just the psychology of a clean "smell" to the room either - I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed and it didn't take off the hard water stains.)

Anyone else have a favorite bathroom cleaner? One that might not force me to hold my breath for several minutes while I clean the shower stalls?[/quote]

Thanks for this information. I will try to use it
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9345972

I used CLR on my Mom's shower stall after she passed away. It did wonders!

When alive Mom used vinegar on everything due to her severe chemical sensitivity. Any smell, fragrance, odor, would set her eyes on fire, horrible burning pain. We had to make sure both of our homes and anyone entering hers had no perfume, hairspray, fresh fingernail polish...anything! She even quit taking magazines and newspapers due to the ink smell. My nose is stopped up half the time. She could smell things I could not! So there were no fresh flowers, dryer sheets, etc etc; The company that made my laundry soap changed the formula and she could smell it in my clothes!
It was very difficult!

My cousin in Indiana before she passed away was the same way, only it made her deathly sick for days. It can be very difficult for those who suffer from Chemical Sensitivity!

Vinegar works on alot...I wouldn't put it on wood. Unless you want to strip off the varnish! haha!
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

December 31, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9371492

In the last year our family has switched entirely to using Young Living's 'Thieves Cleaner' in all of our homes. We discovered that our two year old granddaughter was highly sensitive to synthetic scents, so we removed all of them and clean with this cleaner only. Laundry, dishes and virtually ALL cleaning. It works great, and granddaughter is now back to being her happy self again.

Before we figured out what the problem was, she had terrible behavioral problems, was non-verbal, and just a breath away from being diagnosed autistic, when she isn't. I am so thankful we were able to figure out that it was the synthetics that were causing her nervous system to be attacked. Once we removed the synthetics from her environment and detoxed them from her body, she is happy and chatty!

On another note, the depression that my daughter and I suffered from on and off for years is gone also. We found out that synthetic scents are a cause of depression also.

We will never use anything else.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2013
12:19 AM

Post #9375919

WOW Joan...how on earth did you ever determine that? That is like a Miracle, esp. for a child so young! Amazing!

Praise the Lord! I wonder how many autistic children could be healed the same way! Have you sent this information to the Children's Society for Autistic Children.? (Not sure of the correct name). Even if it only helped a few per cent out of the numbers there are, it could be substantial!

Please be aware of other "scents, odors, fragrances"...there are sooo many! They are everywhere!

Be carefull taking her out in public where theses other products are used because it could cause her to have a "reaction"! We had to be sooooo careful with Mom when she was alive!

I am so glad you found out this info so early! Praise the Lord!

Jeanne
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2013
1:05 AM

Post #9375923

Wow! I have gotten so allergic to 'normal' chemicals and scents in our home environment that I am only using vinegar/water on the floors and dish soap/water - 50/50 with a buff puff for the bathroom cleaning (Joy is one that I am not allergic to). My tub and surround sparkle and it is so easy to clean with one of those puffs on a stick that's sold as a back scrubber☺ I had lung and skin issues. I wasn't aware that there could be others...Wow! I am glad that you've figured this out. I wish that there was some way to educate the general public on the dangers of all of these chemicals in our everyday environment.
ayesha_irshad

January 7, 2013
3:58 AM

Post #9377810

this thread is too much usefull... i mostly get aking allergy on hands after washing washrooms... but now i have got the idea... thank u soo much to all of you for educating us!!
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

January 20, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9391077

We figured out what was causing our granddaughter so much anguish with the help of a friend that is an intuitive. We muscle tested (kineseology) lots of things and found it that way. It's hard to figure out what is wrong with the little ones that can't tell you what is wrong.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
1:07 AM

Post #9391999

My chiropractor studied kineseology. He diagnosed my lack of adrenlin that way many years ago.. I thoroughly believe in it! It works!
Ronny121
Alabama, NY

November 9, 2013
2:05 AM

Post #9705128

i use Floral disinfectant or bleach.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM
What about FLY LADY?!! Anybody follow her advice?!! tabasco 82 Aug 2, 2011 2:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America