Ever Hunt on a Rainy Day?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

This is our entertainment when it's too wet to go outside! Anyone else enjoy this kind of hunting?

Thumbnail by haighr
Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

Ever since red squirrels got into our attic, I use sub-sonic .22s. I don't think hunter orange or camo are required tho. There is the old story of a hunter seeing a nice buck in a field off a country road. He sees a house nearby and asks the elderly lady who lives there if he could hunt on her property as he just saw a nice buck. She says OK but as he walks back to get his rifle he hears BLAM. The old lady is upstairs with a scoped rifle on a tripod and yes, she bagged the buck.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

lol, some folks just like to dress for the occasion!
Great story bout the old lady bagging one, those are always the most memorable.

Ferndale, WA(Zone 8b)

About hunting on rainy days, yes. There are a lot less people hunting, and the rain can help mask our sounds, and scents. Here in washington the saying goes: If you don't get out in the rain, you would never be outside at all. It rains so much here, that we end up doing everything in it. Just take 1-2 changes of clothes in the car.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Or just wear the waterproof gear freebird. I imagine you do have a lot of rainy hunting.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I sometimes hunt in the rain, but you better get a good shot, as tracking becomes difficult. We have much heavy cover all around the hunting areas. The buggers crawl under a log 50 yards away and are gone. I brought the dog out to find one that was gone during bow season, he could smell the blood right through the heavy rain. He loves venison too. (the advantages of a thrown scrap while butchering)
This picture reminds me of our kitchen. We have 4 large windows lined up the front and one has the screen missing and the gun leans right next to it. Got a lot of varmits that way, not a deer though.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That kitchen window has seen a lot of action cparts. That is up at the cabin and it faces a field where all the veggies and such were long since eaten by the critters, oh well we planted it for them, pumpkins and some corn.
I am the tracker in the family so when Tim and Steve shoot I am not far from the action to get those keen eyes working. I remember a few years ago they had been looking all over to track this buck that Steve shot and I showed up where he had shot, did some calculating as to which way he went and I found him just before the briars about 75 yards away. Steve couldn't believe it and when I said here he is, Steve said no that's not a deer and then as he got closer sure enough his buck!
Ain't it fun!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Sure is. I hunt from a tent blind mostly and the deer are really close. See most of them during bow season, as they evaporate during rifle season. Put in 304 hours deer hunting this year. I only take 2 a year, but I sure have fun.
Short kitchen window story. Had a varmit under our shed down at camp, so I set up the live trap. Next day there was a small opposum, hairy, black legs with white feet and grey face. Unusual markings for here. I let him go. After getting out of the cage, he stood his ground growling, then attacked me. I was faster and moved back, he shot under the shed. I was mad at myself for letting him go. 2 days later I look out at the sunset and low and behold, there he is under the feeder. Got out the 17cal and dropped him from out the window. Husband took him out on the ice and put him on a stump for fox or coyotte. 2 days later, Mr Bald eagle lands and eats him completly up, except for the skin and hair. I got my revenge.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

With a vengeance! LOL at his trying to mock you during a lovely sunset!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks, revenge is sweet. And they are the uglyist creatures in the world. See what I get for being nice? Taught me something. And that new 17 cal is sweet.

West Kill, NY

LOL I am a coon hunter, running hounds on raccoon. They do better when the ground is damp. I end up getting wet chasing the hounds through swamps anyway, so its no biggie to hunt in the rain. I don't usually start out in a torrential downpour, but often finish in the middle of one! Plus, raccoons are out at night. We always hunt after dark. The hounds have so much heart that its all worthwhile.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That sounds like a lot of fun, we have never hunted with dogs, but have heard from a friend it is a whole different kind of enjoyment. These guys don't mind the rain when hunting, they were actually shooting at targets in the above.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't hunt raccoons, they seem to come to us, but the dog sure can smell them after a rain just fine. It is amazing.
I was bow hunting last year, got what I thought was a really good shot on a big doe and it got dark really quick and started to rain. We looked for about an hour and found no blood after the spot where I hit her. The next morning I took out the dog and showed him the spot. He ran over the ridge and right to where she was laying. It had been a good shot, she was just too hard to find in the dark. The dog got a nice piece of vension for saving alot of good meat for us.

Boonville, NY

Upstate New York...2001 season. On opening day it was raining hard and the cold made it freeze on everything. Every twig had 3/4 inch of ice on it. Since I have hunted 45 years I could hardly miss opening day so I went to my tree anyway. After 45 minutes my shorts were soaked so I went back to the car, put the unloaded gun in the trunk and went home. Next morning was 25 but sunny so I went back to the tree. A 7 point came walking by at 40 yards. I aimed and CLICK, CLICK!!! Ejecting the shell I tried again. CLICK!! BUck looked at me and slowly walked away. You guessed it I stupidly left the rain soaked gun in the trunk all night to freeze with ice. Should know better after all these years. Required a real thurough cleaning.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ooooooooooohhhhhh nooooooooooooo!
Great story. I think we all have done something stupid like that. We get so excited about the hunting we forget stuff.
I once went all the way to my blind and sat down, had coffee, snacks, rope, knife, license, everything except the gun. LOL
Had to walk all the way back to the house to get it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.