Photo by Melody
We want to hear from you! Please take this short, anonymous survey to help us improve the DG home page.

Crafts & Hobbies: How is your shop set up?

Communities > Forums > Crafts & Hobbies
Forum: Crafts & HobbiesReplies: 26, Views: 407
Add to Bookmarks
McKinney, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2006
1:58 AM

Post #1984027

Since I've only been doing glass since last January, I've been going to my sisters home to work on my glass projects. I'm in the process of getting my own shop area together in my garage, but it's a slow process. It'd be no big deal, but my sis is 40 miles away (I'm not getting many projects done due to the price of gas) and she's looking to move to the beach (where her hubby is already working).

Anywho...I've claimed a good section my 2 car garage (I have only 1 car, so can easily give up part of the space) for my glass. From brainstorming with the owner of my favorite glass shop, I have built a glass storage unit. It's on casters so it can easily be moved around. But since my house is still fairly new (I had it built in 2001) & it didn't come with any cabinets in the garage like you see in older homes. I'm planning a work surface that will be 5'x3'. I'm going to reuse some cubes from some modular furniture I already had, I'm going to connect them & again, put them on casters and use it for storage (it was one of those cubit computer desks & I upgraded to a nice wood corner computer desk).

I already used four of the cubes (each is 14" square basically) and have plans to put my kiln on it (its a small AIM kiln that can be used for small fusing jobs & annealing beads).

A question for y'all - is it necessary to use homosote for the work surface or is good 'ole plywood okay? My sister looked at me like I was nuts when I mentioned homosote. I'll need something as a surface that will be on top of the MDF, so what would you use?

Oh, here's the glass storage unit I built. The unit is finished & the spaces for glass a 4" apart. There is a larger area in the middle that I'm going to have cut pvc to store stringers & rods in.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2006 9:00 PM

Thumbnail by SandiTX
Click the image for an enlarged view.

This thread has 26 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Crafts & Hobbies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new forum! Trish 17 Oct 5, 2009 12:23 AM
What a find!!! justmeLisa 37 Feb 24, 2009 8:26 AM
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
My Dream Catchers....for Zanymuse, et al roadrunner 32 Aug 26, 2008 2:29 AM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America