Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mosaics and Stained Glass: A Demonstration: Breaking Properties of Tempered Glass

Communities > Forums > Mosaics and Stained Glass
bookmark
Forum: Mosaics and Stained GlassReplies: 10, Views: 279
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2006
1:20 AM

Post #1987799

deleted ... link no longer works ;((

This message was edited Aug 27, 2007 11:04 PM

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2006
3:38 PM

Post #1988843

Thanks Scooterbug . I added it to favorites.
Patti
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2006
4:10 PM

Post #1988907

YVW ;-b

Just scares the bejeebers outta me when I see cement or tufa artists claiming you can use broken windsheild glass for enhancement because it isn't sharp.

Did you see the link here for the glass artist that uses broken tempered glass on glass ?

Awsome beautiful IMO
desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2006
4:57 AM

Post #2137678

*LOL* Great demo, although I learned the hard way. BTW, those edges are VERY sharp, too!

A lil story about tempered glass. I needed to install a custom leaded window in an upper stairwell. It was about 6' tall by 8' wide. Huge, heavy window to try to maneuver inside the house and install. After inspection, the existing window needed to be removed from the outside. Luckily, there was a porch roof (with only a slight incline) to stand on.

After removing the aluminum strips that held the window in, I was dismayed to find that (yet another) dumb contractor had used liquid nails instead of clear silicone, to install the existing window. (*GRRRR*)

After about 2 hours of patiently trying to razor knofe out the liquid nails so I could get that f***er out, I finally lost patience. (Time is money, after all) and decided to break the window out. After draping the floor inside and informing the homeowners, I took my large (24 oz) hammer and swung. I rebounded so hard from the (unbeknownst to me) tempered glass that it almost knocked me off the roof!

I wasn't being obtuse, as there was no way to reach the window from inside the house without a ladder, there is no building code that required tempered glass. Triple strength would have been fine.

So, cursing I went back to scraping and cutting around the edge. An hour later, I said *&#@@&&, and decided to break the tempered glass. I put a screwdriver at the edge of the window and smacked it with all my might. I heard the tiniest "pop". I stepped back and watched this huge window shatter like the demo...only upright-- vertical, and HUGE ('member, we're talking 48 sq foot of glass, here) . The crackling sounds were amazing, it was so cool to watch! it took at least 2 minutes (maybe more) to fully shatter and then just dropped all at once, like a cloudburst! It was phenomenal. Really. I will never forget it. (It was even worth all the sweeping up!)
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2006
5:16 PM

Post #2138480

Better than a 'special effects' film eh ?

Than must have been awesome to see , lucky you . *jealous*

Read on a forum somewhere recently of a smaller scale experience this person had with a TG shower door.

Can't compare to yours tho.

Can you tell I'm a visual person? lolol
desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2006
2:55 AM

Post #2139581

Can you tell I like to tell/write a tale?? *L* Howz yer glass goin'?
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2006
3:26 AM

Post #2139619

Life keeps getting in the way . big shake up going on here.

But everything is still waiting for me and the good thing about the delay is more organization happens in the mean time.

Thanks for asking.

Hugs,
S.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #3888550

Hi Scoot,

Just for fun, I was going to watch the demo, but when I
clicked on the link, it produced a page of other addresses.

I tried the other link you mentioned this on, but could not find
it there either.

:-( KM
CutNGlass
Hendersonville, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #3902575

desert_witch: your description of removal of that glass panel had me howling! One reason that an installer would use tempered glass in that situation is their own safety! Even using glass cups (big suction cups w/ handles on them), anything that size if it breaks during install/replacement can send a sheet of glass plummeting down (like guillotine). The liquid nails boggles my mind, but doesn't surprise me -- subcontractor probably didn't use "setting blocks" along bottom edge of glass, either. You'll also see them using silicone to seal edges of mirror to wall (instead of framing out w/ j-metal), also on mirror backs, rather than using mirror-mastic. Silicone eats into mirror back and it will have to be replaced after only a few years.

scooterbug:

I tried hunting up link you guys were talking about -- searched that site for any occurrence of "tempered glass" as well as "tutorial" neither are there.

Okay, now I got playing around some more, couldn't find that one, but here are some other things I found:

Exploding Glass: The Rupertís Drop
http://museumofglass.org/education/learn-about-glass/exploding-glass-ruperts-drop/
Not tempered glass, but cool anyway.

This "smashing glass" sounded promising, not at all what I expected, but interesting info nonetheless:
http://www.beaumontleadedglass.com/new212837.html

geeky explanation of "jagged edges" of cut glass
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2005-04/1113849001.Ph.r.html

MaryS
charmers
Curacao
Netherlands Antilles

August 28, 2007
2:43 AM

Post #3908204

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxNvcsbxhfE
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2007
4:50 AM

Post #3908661

This comes close to the whole idea of just nicking an edge to release the tension of the tempered glass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRB4DrJoEDs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqV5W76U8Qg

But I still want to find one that shows the glass crawl and travel across the pane while it seems to expand.

Safety Glass...
Most car windows are tempered safety glass being 2 panes of tempered glass fused to a clear inner membrane making it more contained as it breaks.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2007 11:01 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Mosaics and Stained Glass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm trying stained glass mosaics without grout! luckygardnr 14 Aug 23, 2012 3:05 PM
How is your shop set up? SandiTX 26 Aug 3, 2009 4:15 AM
Show us all your bowling balls! luckygardnr 273 Aug 27, 2014 6:35 PM
Glass painting Vee8ch 3 Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM
Grout colour ? Heatherbelle 48 Jan 10, 2012 7:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America