Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Carolina Gardening: Helllo

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 16, Views: 252
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Snoutherner
Grovetown, GA

January 22, 2006
5:20 PM

Post #1993331

First time poster, just wanted to say hello to everone

Snoutherner
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2006
4:32 AM

Post #1996614

Howdy Snoutherner...and a HEARTY WELCOME TO DG!

Come on in! Hope to see you around the site!

Shoe.
alicewho
North Augusta, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2006
1:34 AM

Post #2000810

Hey Snoutherner,
You're not far away at all.
Alice
tangier
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2006
7:48 PM

Post #2017902

Hello everybody:

Recently moved to Charlotte, and had to leave all my plants in New England, and I miss my plants. Can't wait for March so I can start planting. I would love any ideas on what to plant and what grows best in this area. I am thinking mostly of herbs, vegetables, and flowers. If anybody has any seeds they can spare I would appreciate. I of course can't trade since I don't have any thing at the moment but when my plants mature I would love to offer my extras to everybody. Again, any ideas on what to grow, when to start planting, and any seeds, plants would be very welcomed.
swoznick
Burlington, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2006
8:26 PM

Post #2017971

Howdy Tangier!

Welcome to the sunny south!! Do you live in city of Charlotte or one of the smaller areas around it? My dad lives over that way. What kind of soil do you have? I've got a thread going called "getting to know one another" Why not post over there and tell us about your place..

Trust me - you'll have a lot of suggestions in no time. You can start with a southern favorite - azaleas!!

Swoz
gardener413
Mt.Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2006
12:14 AM

Post #2018457

Wow, I did not know we had a Carolinas forum. I am so excited. I live outside of Charleston, SC. Hi.

Ginny
grandygarden
Grandy, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2006
2:08 PM

Post #2021784

Welcome,

This is a great forum and a great site. My garden is slowly taking shape. It is going from paper to land. Mulched in a border on one side and planted some abelias I bought online form Earthworks Nursery in Clayton, NC. Earthwork has a limited inventory but I'm impressed. First time I've every purchased online. Shipping was great $12 to $14 to ship about 4-500 miles away. Plants were looking good and wrapped well in paper and plastic.

Today we are going to Elizabeth City to visit a nursery. The nurseries on the Outer Banks are good but pricey - and are really geared to beachfront.

n
coralbean
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2006
11:46 PM

Post #2025146

First time I've seen the usage "Snoutherner" , but I'm betting it describes many of us.
We moved from Watertown, NY, near the Canadian border, to Coastal SC 13 years ago
and now can't imagine how we survived those winters. Didn't know any better, I guess!Even here in the sunny south, my gardens look pretty dismal in early Feb. I cheered myself by looking at photos of last summer's garden efforts. Got a big load of compost in the yard and the rototiller is all tuned up and ready. Now all I have to worry about is that last hard freeze.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2006
1:42 AM

Post #2025419

hi ya!! welcome to Dg
gardener413
Mt.Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2006
1:05 PM

Post #2026064

HI, Coralbean, I live really close to you. That is great we can talk gardening.

Ginny
coralbean
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2006
9:47 AM

Post #2028070

Hi gardener413,
Nice to have a way to talk with other gardeners in the immediate area. Crazy winter we've had here though! I'm not pleased with the return of cold weather,especially since it sounds as though it will hold on for some time. Ah,well, we knew our mild temps were too good to be true. I actually have 3 saddleleaf philodendrons growing in a sheltered corner that haven't frozen back this year(yet!) Normal winters, I'd be out happily digging and playing musical shrubs, but this past weekend I was too disgruntled to do more than divide a few evergreen daylilies and check my pots.
gardener413
Mt.Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2006
1:47 PM

Post #2028382

Hi Coralbean, you can call me Ginny. Don't be disgruntled, we still have way better weather than most everyone else this time of year. I have 6 roses coming and can't wait until they get here. I have been rearranging things and am waiting for my 2 Kimmel Gnomes to get here. I am starting a gnome garden underneath an oak tree. I am getting ready to order some cool summer bulbs from Brent and Beckys too.

Off to ride my bike.
Rosykay
Gates, NC

February 27, 2006
3:06 AM

Post #2074228

Hi Tangier, and everyone,
I'm so glad I stumbled onto this site. I have a friend who moved from Vermont to NC 2 years ago and she loves the longer growing season but misses some of the cool weather plants that can't take our heat.
Hey, grandygarden, she told me about a small nursery she found last year that is located close to Edenton. I haven't been there yet but she says the owner is really nice and helpful. Can't remember the name right now [are we allowed to write names of nurseries?]
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2006
1:12 AM

Post #2084885

Tangier - Welcome to the Queen City of Charlotte, to which I fly to, alot on my business travels across the southeast.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2007
10:29 PM

Post #3385014

Hey! I just stumbled onto this site tonight, but have been gardening in zone 7b for a looooong time.
Tangier-There are lots of herbs that are perennial in this area and can take the heat. I started with some of those, and add annual herbs as desired. As for perennials, I like chives, and most kinds of thyme. Some basil does better that others. I have a creeping rosemary that blooms toward the end of winter for a lovely look. My favorite, though, is bronze fennel. My daughter and I plant it near parsley (usually annual) for the black swallowtails. It gets eaten to the ground every year, but is already about 4" right now.
As for flowers and vegetables, what sorts are you looking for? Lots of variety can be grown here.
Happy gardening!
bev
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3387682

Welcome Snoutherner, you will love Charlotte; you will have enough cool weather to grow a great variety of plants and enough earm to dabble in some tropicals.

I am happy to see so many Lowcountry gardeners here too.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #3388181

Welcome Snoutherner! ..and "Hey" to all my Lowcountry pals. :)
Deb

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 25 Jan 6, 2013 5:43 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America