Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Sheep losing wool

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 16, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2006
12:13 AM

Post #1994135

The same ewe that lost lots of her wool last year while very pregnant is losing it again this year. I had thought it was a calcium deficiency. But this year I have had lots of mineral out and don't think that's the case.

Anybody have any ideas what else could be the problem?
lauriwilson
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2006
12:57 AM

Post #1994259

Is she loosing it down to the skin? Or just sloughing it natural. Could it be mange? We had a suffolk ewe that had mange and lost her wool in spots, poor thing looked funny. Lauri
Shepherdess
Rockport, WA

January 23, 2006
5:37 PM

Post #1995249

Hi KathyJo,
what breed of sheep do you have? Do you shear them before you put them in breeding groups?
How old is the ewe? Is she scratching ( rubbing herself) against fences till there are raw areas or just loosing wool? I raise Icelandic and Katahdin sheep, so I have some experience in
both wool and hair sheep..
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2006
10:34 PM

Post #1995805

This just seems to be something that happens to her when she is very pregnant..

It doesn't seem spotty at all, or anything that I would think would be parasite related.. Mostly peeling off her very round abdomen.

Otherwise, she seems perfectly healthy.. Fat and sassy

I would guess her to be five. She is mostly suffolk and looks all suffolk.
Baa

January 23, 2006
10:37 PM

Post #1995807

I'm sure you've already looked for evidence of raised, reddened skin or scratching and no lice detectable, here, wool loss it's a sign of sheep scab although I don't know whether that occurs in the US.

As it's happened twice during late pregnancy, were she here in the UK I'd be thinking nutritional deficiency, can you be sure she is ingesting the mineral? If you can be sure it still could be she is a heavy user or has trouble metabolising some minerals and trace elements while she is gestating. The other reason I can think of is stress.

Is she displaying any other symptoms?
Baa

January 23, 2006
10:40 PM

Post #1995817

Just out of interest KathyJo what are her current rations?
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2006
12:33 AM

Post #1996106

They get all the hay they can eat. And can forage all winter.. I don't feed them much grain as they seem to not need it.

None of the other sheep seem to have this trouble.. But, I don't watch her so closely that I am sure she gets the mineral.. although she certainly has access. It's loose mineral that we pour in a tub.
Baa

January 24, 2006
1:03 AM

Post #1996179

I had a poke about after I last posted and it seems zinc deficiency can cause wool loss, if she's returning to normal after giving birth, it could be that or just the stress. Sounds like one of those odd little things that happens, is she young?

I sometimes think that sheep invent new things to worry the sheherd each year ;)
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2006
10:59 AM

Post #1996805

Thanks. When I check the contents of the mineral I'll check for that...

She always comes back to normal the next year before she is very pregnant.
sheepladyccf

February 12, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #4528775

Have a question on sheep lice. All my Romney and Merino sheep(6) have now lost wool over their ears, tails, back of leggs and on either side of body. I found live lice crawling around. Have shorn them and did a saturation of Premectin 2. However, they are still losing wool. I've researched and haven't found info that will help. I'm told to do it again in 2 weeks. It is cold here in Connecticut and I have had to put nylon coats on them. They don't seem to be itching anymore but are still losing wool. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Jen
sheepladyccf

February 12, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #4528781

sorry, don't think I posted in the correct place
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #4530481

You will probably want to make sure they don't lay down in old bedding as well. Do they sleep in the barn at night? How do you think the lice was spread?

Still a good idea to make sure that they have all the vitamins and minerals they need, .

This is all probably stuff you already know... Just trying to help..
sheepladyccf

February 14, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #4538734

Thanks. I have been cleaning and spraying bedding and barn, as well. They do sleep in at night. The lice apparently jump from sheep to sheep in close contact. I'm wondering if it might be better to dust them instead of the pour-on method?
I had to ask my husband to go out and feed tonight as I was just too upset and couldn't see more wool missing.
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #4539953

I certainly understand how upsetting this kind of thing can be..

You might want to ask a Veterinarian.. and maybe you already have. That is one problem I didn't have..
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #4539954

I certainly understand how upsetting this kind of thing can be..

You might want to ask a Veterinarian.. and maybe you already have. That is one problem I didn't have..
cart
Syracuse, NY

May 7, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #4919771

I have a Katahdin sheep mother and baby that I just purchased. The baby is three weeks old. The mother has large pieces of wool hanging off her and coming off. What is the cause of this?
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #4921269

Katahdin are hair sheep and lose their wool naturally. You won't have to shear them

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM
A homemade egg incubator........maybe. PeggieK 96 Jun 26, 2008 1:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America