-
AuthorContent
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2006
2:51 PM

Post #1994849

I made this yesterday when I was too tired. Never again will I make these things when I am that tired. When I looked at it this morning it was off centered and the adhesive looked like a drunk slopped it on. lol! I had to practically rebuild it. Still need to razor adhesive off in some places but when it is cleaned up I think it will be pretty.

Speaking of adhesive ... heavens to betsy it takes alot of the stuff to put these dishes together securely. There is more expense in that than there is to buy the dishes! :) ... vicki

Thumbnail by Vee8ch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nut4spuds
Wichita, KS

January 23, 2006
3:48 PM

Post #1995019

Vicki
That is beautiful :-)
~Nuts
Luluguid
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2006
3:56 PM

Post #1995050

your 2 plant stands are so pretty
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2006
4:02 PM

Post #1995066

lovely love the reds..
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2006
8:13 PM

Post #1995532

Thank you everybody. I'm working on a cobalt plant stand and an all crystal plant stand and an oriental black and peach one and a mexican fiesta type too. I have great visions in my head but what I dream about and what I create in reality is normally not the same. ha! :) ... v
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2006
4:20 AM

Post #1998606

Vee8, do you have an outlet where you sell them? They are too pretty to not be appreciated by someone. That is one fancy plant stand.
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 25, 2006
9:46 AM

Post #1998753

I don't know. I'm sure there probably is one. I need to feel more confident about what I'm doing first. I'm scared to death that these stands will fall apart because of lousy workmanship or a design flaw of some kind. I'm going to let my mom help me to trial a few for inside and outside. If these pieces survive for us then they will probably hold up for most anyone. lol!
Thank you so much defoecat for the encouragement. I needed that. :) ... vicki
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

January 26, 2006
4:59 PM

Post #2001861

That is so cool, Vicki...I posted the link on the Hoya forum...hope you don't mind. Really really neat. Carol
LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2006
5:28 PM

Post #2001908

OK Vicki, I need some 'how tos' here. Are they clear glass that has been painted, or what are your raw materials, and what adhesive do you use? I would love to try some of these myself (copy kat).
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2006
9:54 PM

Post #2002410

Thank you Linda and Carol! :) I learned all this from Tradewind's post on her Totem. She is my hero :) So I can't take the credit but I did choose to turn mine into plant stands rather than totems..
Every piece is a thrift store find ranging from 39 cents to 1.00. A few pieces have chips around the edges but they are covered by the dish that sits on top of them. Edited ... "The adhesive is GE Silicone II 100% Silicone Sealant Clear Windows & Doors." ... A little over $5.00 per canister 10.1 oz. The canisters have mostly blue labels when you go to look for them. I found mine at Lowes cause Home Depot did not carry it. You gotta use a caulking gun and have lots of rags around to clean ugly oozes and your fingers immediately .
The most important part to creating these is a nice heavy steady base. The thrift stores have tons of heavy plates in pretty colors. The Dollar Tree is another great place to find pretty pieces. I promise you that you will get addicted to the search for really neat pieces.
I just made a stand of all clear pieces. Oh my gosh how beautiful! I love it the best so far. The only problem is that you can see the adhesive thru the glass so I'm experimenting in decorating (hiding) those areas with glass marbles and all those other little glass doo dads that you see in the mesh bags everywhere.
Putting your creativity to work is a wonderful way to just turn the world off! I can't wait to see what everyone else creates. Linda you just copy cat away girl! :) :) :) ... v

This message was edited Feb 9, 2006 3:33 AM
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2006
10:30 PM

Post #2002505

Another thing that will help is a level. If you don't have a level then place a small plate on top of each piece immediately after you have glued that piece. Place a marble in the center of the plate and if it rolls then press down on the plate until the marble stays centered. Remove the plate, let your newly glued piece sit for at least 30 mins. Add your next piece and do the plate and marble thing again for each new piece. Hope this makes sense :)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2006
3:03 AM

Post #2003152

Those are great ideas Vee8ch! I am going to have to get some for my garden. When you were talking about the adhesive showing on the clear glass, I thought about something. Would it work to use a clear silicone like you use in an aquarium?

edited my late night typo!

This message was edited Jan 26, 2006 11:06 PM
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2006
8:31 AM

Post #2003413

Sheila the GE Silicone II is clear. It comes out of the cannister looking crystal clear but as it cures it gets a slightly milky look. Maybe for a garden it won't matter but when I took it outside in the sun it looked even more obvious. The less adhesive you use the less obvious it is but you can still see it in the sun. And to use less could also compromise strength. ... v

But you do make me wonder if the marine adhesives would cure differently. I'm gonna get some and try it just for clear pieces :)

This message was edited Jan 27, 2006 4:50 AM

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2006
11:28 AM

Post #2003525

Oh, I didn't catch the "clear" in the previous post, I was imagining the white sealant. You have definately inspired me with your pieces; as has Tradewinds' totem.
LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2006
10:07 PM

Post #2004636

Got to try this, it may take a while to get some pieces together, I'm busy most of the week end but will start looking around.
Tradewind_64
Eden Prairie, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2006
5:21 AM

Post #2010027

VEE8CH...HOLY HOLY HOLY. You are a truly amazing person, I am soooooooooooo impressed. I LOVE EVERYTHING you have done. You are so creative to make the totems useful as plant stands! An excellent idea, and should definately be sold if you have the outlet. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.
Tradewind_64
Eden Prairie, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2006
5:29 AM

Post #2010034

Vee8ch, I just wanted to say that I have "heard" that GE Silicone II Kitchen and Bath does not weather as well as the kind for Windows and Doors. I myself have no experience with either outside, yet, that will happen this year :-)
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2006
9:59 AM

Post #2010110

Tradewind! Thank you Thank you Thank you! The adhesive input is just what we all needed to know. I was feeling very iffy about the durability part (almost to the point of not building them anymore). 0 confidence! Wouldn't it upset us all if we purchased or received these as a gift and they fell apart within the first few months. I'd be so embarrassed :(. I very much appreciate this valuable info. Before I make anymore I'm gonna get the Windows and Doors to use for inside and outside stands.
momof2d
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2006
10:30 AM

Post #2010142

Vicki I love your whimsical plant stands! You could (or should) go into business, you could sell the plants as well! Very cool! Jill
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2006
11:58 AM

Post #2010250

Thank you Jill :)
I'm glad you brought up the plants idea. It reminds me that while I've been on the search for the dishes to build the stands I've also picked up a ton of pretty and cheap flower pots too. Dollar Tree has their spring flower pots out. They look handpainted but they're not. They have roses and sunflowers and hummingbirds and bees etc etc. $1.00 each. And the thrift stores have some beauties too. I've been trying to find pots that will compliment each stand.
I've found lots of delicate vases that are too thin to use in a stand. These delicate vases would work perfectly with the clear and colored glass stands to hold a small arrangement of fresh cut flowers.
For display purposes I considered adding a plant to the matching pot for a few stands and flowers in a few vases. To do the plant and flower thing for every stand would be a really nice touch.
Great idea Jill! :)

This message was edited Jan 30, 2006 8:01 AM
momof2d
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2006
9:03 AM

Post #2012327

I'll bet you could "E-bay" them too. I might be trying to make one of my own for my plants, thanks for the idea's! Would'nt it look cute to group them in the yard ... some tall, some short -- with other whimsical things on top for a colorful yard display.
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2006
10:42 AM

Post #2012376

I'd be too chicken to try to ship these. I don't trust them yet durability wise. Would the wiggle jiggle in transit cause them to loosen up?
Most of the ones I've built so far are kind of heavy. The shipping cost due to weight might be way to much.
And once ebayers got hold of the concept the market would be flooded. Everyone would see a fast buck. That would probably ruin it for us little guys that really care about art and quality. Edited ... Of course this is only my personal opinion but it seems to me that once anything nice hits ebay like depression glass and collectibles of any kind, everything is cheapened. Wish it wasn't that way. :(

Yes they sure would look cute in groups. :)

This message was edited Jan 31, 2006 6:51 AM
shirleygirly
Tyler, TX

January 31, 2006
11:29 PM

Post #2013724

This one is my favorite, but they're all beautiful! Where did you find the red items?I think I'd like to try this sometime.
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2006
7:54 AM

Post #2014717

Shirley I found them in many different places and in 2 states TN and FL. Some I found recently and some I've had for several years. Of all the colors red is the hardest to find.

Many newer red pieces are clear glass coated with red. When you do find a red piece at a good price buy it anyway. Use a needle and make a little scratch somewhere that it can't be seen. That will show you if the color is just surface or if it is really in the glass itself. These coated things should be hand washed and never put in the dishwasher. With time the color peels and flakes off making them not so good for outside use. But they would work beautifully as inside art. :)
cnclady
Harrisburg, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2006
1:42 PM

Post #2021710

cool idea!
Luluguid
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2006
7:00 PM

Post #2031030

OHHHHH, I have all this red glass items from when I used to decorated my bedroom in highschool with red. I have it in my yard sale box but I may just have to salvage it!

I also think I have blue because I just love blue.
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2006
8:04 PM

Post #2031136

Dig it out girl! Red pieces are sooooooo hard to find! But!!!!! ... they may be of more value to sell them if they have some age on them. You might want to post them on the antiques and collectibles forum before you build with them or sell them at a yard sale!

I have quite a few blue pieces too that I can't wait to put together. But I know for sure they are all new. These are easier to find than red pieces nowadays and should make beautiful stands and totems.
You might want to look into checking out your blue pieces in the same antiques and collectibles forum just to make sure you are not cheating yourself out of some serious good money. True cobalt glass is very valuable!
shirleygirly
Tyler, TX

February 9, 2006
12:45 AM

Post #2031668

Vee, I'm about ready to give up on finding red. So far I've gone to Goodwill, two dollar stores and Big Lot's. Nada! I may have to switch to cobalt blue, which I've seen a little. I just have it stuck in my head that I have to have a pretty red one like yours. (my birthday is coming up, sure you don't want to give it to me?) It really is beautiful. I did find some good buys at the dollar store. They have a good selection of pots, the light weight ones, for $6-$10. They also have those hanging pots that have that brown mat stuff in them for $3. I've been needing new ones so I'm stocking up a little at a time.
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2006
7:29 AM

Post #2032251

Shirley if you lived closer I'd give it to you in a heartbeat :)

I did a search a few weeks ago to find out what paints would bond permanently to glass. There's so many clear pieces easily found so could they be painted a lasting solid color like red? This site offers two different kinds of glass paints ... one you bake on in your own kitchen oven at a low temp. The Delta brand you don't have to bake because you use a glass conditioner.
I don't know if I want to get that involved but I am considering the possibility. Something to think about :) ... and the price is good!

http://www.dickblick.com/zz029/64/ ... no bake
http://www.dickblick.com/zz029/50/ ... bake

Do you have a Dollar Tree in your area?

This message was edited Feb 9, 2006 3:42 AM
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2007
7:58 PM

Post #4005785

Vicki, Your plant stand is beautiful. Saw it for the first time a week ago, and wanted to do something simular..LOL Yes, I'm a copy cat with alot to learn. I used Welders (clear) glue to secure my project.The glue worked great.
Faye
RainbowRider
Brunswick, GA
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #4095167

Looks great! I think i will visit this site daily! Nice work Vee8ch !

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM
Gazing Balls???? Eufaula 40 Feb 6, 2008 4:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America