What is the best winter Bass bait you ever used.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I will take a a 5/16 oz jig on 14 lb test line as my first choice. Then Maybe on to a suspending Rogue. Last two years I have been fishing a Baby Hotlips made by Luers Jensen that I weight to suspend. then I like the suspending baits fished on about 8 lb test line. Last two years I been fishing a Lauers Jensen Hotlips that i weight to suspend myself. It has been real good. I think mainly because it gets down a little farther.

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

We don't do any winter bass fishing around here, ozarkian. We're too busy trying to catch the winter run of Rockfish that sometimes run up the Chesapeake bay right into December. In the very early spring I like to float minnows. I don't think I've been skunked yet.

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

We don't do any winter bass fishing around here, ozarkian. We're too busy trying to catch the winter run of Rockfish that sometimes run up the Chesapeake bay right into December. In the very early spring I like to float minnows. I don't think I've been skunked yet.
Go here to see some winter Rockfish.

http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/fishing/index.asp

Northern, IN

I’m a little too far north to have a true “winter Bass bait” Oz but I used to have success with 3-4 inch shiner minnows thru the ice while fishing for Northerns. Most of the time I only fished 6 to 7 feet down as they seem to cruise around at that level. I used to live on Baldwin Lake in southern Michigan (near Bristol, IN) and would set out 3 to 4 tip ups that I could see from my easy chair. When I saw a flag go up – away I’d go with ice cleats strapped to my shoes and never being sure what I had on the line. Any you northerners doing any ice fishing? I’d love to see some pics of fish lying on the ice ‘bout now.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Mudpuppies w/o a doubt with shiners and chrome/silver rattle traps tied for 2nd and 3rd place. Mudpuppies are little aquatic lizards(immature salamanders) about 4-6 inches long. I've only fished with them maybe 10-12 times and only at the hot water discharges at powerplant lakes but man they were the ticket hands down. It wasn't just for bass either, any predatory fish devoured them. The hybrid bass really loved them, catfish too. I don't know if I could find them anymore sadly or afford them if I could find them. We used to order them from a friend that owned a pet store for 50 cents each but after 2 years the price went up to 1.50$ and we were lucky to get them at all.
Those were the "Good Ole Days" when I had visions of becoming a competetive fisherman, we fished every Redman Tourney with in 3 states. After a few years and a couple kids, those dreams weren't affordable at all.
Oz, I'm sure glad you started all of these threads. You've brought back some darn fine memories I hadn't thought of in many many years. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
JD

Harrisburg, SD

I prefer flipping plastic worms using 10lb test with a spincast reel about 10' to 12' from the boat into underwater structure and working it to a crawl over roots, logs and limbs.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I use a yellow worm with a red head on it. And I use 17 lb line for every thing as I also fish in the Pamlico sound.
Caught a 6 lb bass in a friends lake about 3 weeks ago.

I love fishing.

Lavina

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

I found a pretty good website about fishing, it's free so i joined. I don't agree with some of the no-it-alls but it's a good place for advice, pics, etc. If anyone wants to check it out the site is--------------------getREELed.com------------------i usually check it out once a day.

Albion, IN

We in Nothern Indiana like to use a Jigging Rapala!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.