Photo by Melody

Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts: How to...handmade cards?

Communities > Forums > Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts
bookmark
Forum: Scrapbooking and Paper CraftsReplies: 37, Views: 316
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jh_gardens
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #2001777

I would love to make my own cards, beginning with Valentine's cards, but have no idea where to start. Would appreciate any ideas, from all you scrapbooking/card experts, as to sources for materials (cheapest & best...if that is possible!!), materials to have on hand, etc. etc. So many questions but don't know exactly what to ask. Is there a "Handmade Cards for Dummies" book?!!! I need all the help I can get! Judy
4xthefun
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2006
4:21 PM

Post #2004031

Hi There! I love making cards and if you scrapbook you have all the supplies you need. If you are starting out new I would recommend a paper trimmer, I like 12" size because you can use 12x12 scrapbooking paper and trim it to size. I use 12x12 scrapbooks so that is why I use 12x12 paper. It's what I have on hand. An easy way to cut cards though without waste is to use 8.5x11 paper and cut it in half so you have 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 pieces of paper. Then you just fold that in half and TaDAhhhh you have a card :) I really like a straight metal ruler and a bone folder or embossing stylus. It helps make a folding line on your card to give you a nice crisp fold that is sometimes harder to achieve with thick cardstock. Oh, and adhesive. I use a tape runner because it is what I use for scrapbooking. In my experience, glue sticks don't stick so well. Uhu is one glue stick that is the exception and I use it in paper crafting but only on large items because it is a big fat glue stick. If you want to add dimension to your card and make it really pop with very little effort you can use a product called pop-dots. It is a double sided foam tape.

Choose a simple design and go assembly line style if you are making a lot of cards.

Check out www.twopeasinabucket.com in the Peanut Gallery. You can do a search for Valentine cards and it will bring up tons of ideas.

The card below uses rubber stamps but you could use a die cut or sticker. It was very simple to make.

You can buy envelopes at the craft store or make your own. I usually buy them unless I am making an unusual sized card and it is just a single card, not a whole batch.

Have fun!
Laura

Thumbnail by 4xthefun
Click the image for an enlarged view.

4xthefun
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2006
4:22 PM

Post #2004032

Here is a card that uses pop-dots. They are placed under the title to give it emphasis.

Laura

Thumbnail by 4xthefun

jh_gardens
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2006
5:27 PM

Post #2004172

Laura ~ Thank you so much! Your cards are beautiful! I have done so many types of crafts, but no scrapbooking or paper. This is mind-boggling, as there are so many products out there and I have no idea what products work best. I love all the punches, stamps, etc., but don't want to tie up a bunch of $$ starting out...just some basics. Checked out the web site - WOW!! Lots of wonderful ideas. Now to find the time to work in this new (I'm sure soon to be addicting) hobby along with my gardening addictions!!! Judy
renwings
Sultan, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2006
4:03 AM

Post #2085270

My favorite card style is so simple. A single artistic, expressive image on the front of the card, held on with those old fashioned picture corners that are used in old fashioned scapbooks. On the inside I have a message that I've printed out on vellum suitable for the printer (I keep a quote book on hand to find something suitable for any occasion). Tear the top and bottom so it looks rough but keep the sides smooth and mount it flush with the inside of the card. It is so simple, quick and inexpensive and it always looks great and classy.
I keep an eye out of out of date calenders that are filled with art prints and sometimes find prints on clearance.

I also like the way small watercolors look and they are very easy to paint and make the card all the more personal.

Keep pretty cards that you recieve and recycle the images to make new cards.

Stickers are handy and inexpensive!

For birthdays, It's also fun to find funny comics on the internet and print them out on glossy paper. Lots of pages offer them.

I'll stop now!

Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #2112107

Hi there..I started out scrapbooking and that lead me to card making. Here are some of the ones that I make. http://www.lakehousecreations.com/handmade_cards.htm I currently use rubberstamps, but I also print out my photos and use them as well. You can use punches, ribbon, yarn, paint - whatever your creative juices come up with.
jh_gardens
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2006
7:13 PM

Post #2119140

Renwings & Anitabryk2 ~ What wonderful ideas! Since I decided to do cards, haven't had much time, so have been assembling and organizing materials and equipment. Did make one card for my father's birthday, but that's all so far. Hope to find time, soon, to be able to utilize all the fun things I'm accumulating!

Anitabryk2 ~ Your web site is great!

I found a great local source for supplies - so many wonderful things that it is quite overwhelming. Could spend hours just looking...well, buying also!
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2006
2:29 AM

Post #2119985

just hours????? I could get lost in my craft room all winter and never come out until spring when I share my being lost with the garden
tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
1:28 AM

Post #2320739

Yeah, what Laura said. LOL!

Here's what's in my card arsenal:

rotary paper cutter - like Laura said get a size that will do 12"12" paper. You can easily cut/fold three 4"5.25" cards from each sheet that size.

scissors - one good pair of straight ones w/precise tip (cap protects tip when in storage and everyone in the house is banned from using them!); additional pairs with fancy edges

paper punches - combination of decroative [mine are mostly garden-theme (butterflies, flowers, lizards) with a few others (hearts, etc.)] and standard hole-punch styles

assorted pens - my favorites are the Marvy LePlume, Sakura Gelly Roll, and Sakura Pigma Microns (these are a bit pricey brands, but I love how they write -- I keep my eyes open for sales/deals)

assorted papers

bulk envelopes

embellishments - this is where it can get really pricey! I look for sales/deals on pre-made embellishments, wire, ribbon, charms, etc.

glue/tape - many glues will cause your papers to "bubble" that's why I like using the tape adhesives. They are available in removable and permanent (I use permanent); typical brands are Hermes and Tombo. I use Tombo Aqua glue for affixing small things (like rounds from hole punch as flower center). Raised/padded tapes and dots are also great for adding 'dimension' to your cards.

ruler - I am still using the metal ruler w/cork backing that I got for my college art class in 1988!

bone for making crisp folds

other stuff - stamps and stamp pads (if you're selling cards adhere to copyrights), colored pencils, origami papers, watercolor or acrylic paints, photos, etc.

This message was edited May 26, 2006 6:44 PM
tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
1:45 AM

Post #2320820

Simple photo card - mounted on hand-cut/folded paper

Thumbnail by tiffanya

tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
1:48 AM

Post #2320834

Stamped paper (Stampin' Up brand) colored and cut, then layered on a hand-cut/folded card

Thumbnail by tiffanya

tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
1:50 AM

Post #2320846

Craft stores sell cute little painted embellishments (like this flower) for ~1025 each

Thumbnail by tiffanya

tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
1:55 AM

Post #2320860

Matchbook-style card - open

Thumbnail by tiffanya

tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
1:59 AM

Post #2320869

Matchbook-style card - closed

These are easy to make -

1) Tri-fold the card with a small tab on the bottom.
2) Use small hole puch to punch 35 holes in the bottom tab/back, then slide small paper fasteners through the holes (flower style fasteners shown) and fasten
3) Decorate card

This one is vellum so you can read through to the interior message.

Thumbnail by tiffanya

tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
2:00 AM

Post #2320874

Another matchbook style. This one has a photo on the front. Since it's dark paper, I included a small white block of linen paper (3"3") for a nice interior writing surface.

Thumbnail by tiffanya

tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
2:02 AM

Post #2320879

Another idea for a photo card. Cut up the photo and mount the images with different heights using dots and raised/foam tapes...

Thumbnail by tiffanya

tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
2:04 AM

Post #2320884

Another idea using different papers and store-purchased (dragonfly) embellishment...

I just love the different papers that stores offer ...so many patterns, weights, and textures to mix-n-match. :-)

Thumbnail by tiffanya

tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
2:06 AM

Post #2320891

If you like to do paper-folding arts like Origami or tea bag folds, folded items make very nice hand-formed embellishments...

Thumbnail by tiffanya

tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
2:08 AM

Post #2320900

Valentine card idea - rusty metal embellishment, vellum, ribbon

Thumbnail by tiffanya

tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
2:09 AM

Post #2320902

Another simple card...I love the colors of this one.

Thumbnail by tiffanya

Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2006
2:55 AM

Post #2321054

great cards Tiffany. I love them all. The matchbook is great! Here are some of mine. http://lakehousecreations.com/handmade_cards.htm
tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
12:21 PM

Post #2321792

Anita,

I love so many of your cards -- they have so much detail and have a nice polished, professional look.

Do handmade cards sell fairly well on eBay?
I think they would also do really well in retail shops, as well as other online venues such as Etsy.

I am always in admiration of cards like yours - the amount of layering, placement of embellishments, and the precision of stamping/coloring detail. I've experimented a bit with stamping, but mine always look like they have a bit of a childish spin to them...LOL...it's fun though! :-)
jh_gardens
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2006
4:07 PM

Post #2322253

Such wonderful ideas and beautiful cards...everyone! Since gardening season arrived, I haven't had any time to spend on cards or DG. Have been gathering supplies and hope to find time to sit down and create...one of these days! Judy
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2006
9:25 PM

Post #2323055

Thanks. I did sell cards on Ebay and in stores, but I didn't always have the time to keep up. I try to keep it as a hobby, but I do get the occasional order from someone seeing my website.
ferrymead
nelson
New Zealand
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2006
10:52 PM

Post #2323206

Tiffany and Anita, oh, such wonderful cards, you have given me lots of ideas I will use in the future, particularly liked the matchbox style, so different and quite lovely.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2007
8:58 AM

Post #3454316

I've enjoyed reading this thread and seeing your cards! That one at http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=2320902 is lovely with the vellum. I'm a vellum freak. LOL

I've only made cards here and there while working on scrapbooking projects, but I've decided to devote more of my crafting time to them. Here's a few I made Monday evening. The scrapbook store my friend and I go to has a wonderful tool center with all kinds of die cutting machines, so I punched out several 3D purses and disassembled them so I could use just their front portions. I left the side on so I could fold them in and glue the purses down with a little dimension to them.

One of the things I like best about card-making is how it uses up all the little odds and ends of scraps and embellishments. Scraps that would be lost on a large layout are perfect for a little card.

I purposely chose colors I normally don't use in my scrapbook layouts. I prefer softer colors in my pages, with the hot colors serving as accent pieces like photo mats. Making the purse out of hot orange, I made myself think outside the box and create something different.

This message was edited May 2, 2007 9:09 AM

Thumbnail by gardenwife

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2007
9:03 AM

Post #3454322

That little piece of yellow paper in the card above was a scrap leftover from this card. This is a gate-fold card, also cut out with the die-cutting machine.

Thumbnail by gardenwife

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2007
9:05 AM

Post #3454325

Here's the envelope for that card. The letters I did with the die-cutting machine, using some bright orange self-adhesive cardstock that's sat in my bag unused for at least two years. It feels so good to have used it! The envelope was done with a die-cutter, too. And the embellishment - you guessed it - more scraps from the card! :)

Thumbnail by gardenwife

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2007
9:08 AM

Post #3454332

Inside the card...The note is written on vellum, which I put on top of the willow paper. The vellum has a butterfly in the bottom left corner, kind of hard to see in the scan.

Thumbnail by gardenwife

WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2007
9:34 AM

Post #3454422

Oh, Kim..what a nice card ...I only make cards..and I have way to much stuff. But I like it...There are some people...in our family, that do not even look at the card they get..haha...funny...I think it makes a person..(if you make them)..more aware of the person..wanting them to make a card just for you...It is so fun..I even save my bought and received cards I get..and use part of them..hand cutting...or just the verse..hehe I am not so good with words...

When you get to my age..many of my cards..are made to hold a check. So...on the inside of the card..on the left side..I put a strip of dec. paper..with maybe stickers..or something to embellish each side of the strip..and then fold the check..and slip it on the stripe...Looks good and hold the check..in the card..

I wish I were better with the computer..so many neat things you can do...I also go..to HP...web site..there is a place for project there..for cards...free...That place makes big cards...half fold of card stock or decorator paper...

Oh I just bought from Staples..photo paper..matte finish..on clearance..for $1.99...for 50 sheets. double sided matte...then you can use your vellum with it..looks and makes nice..cards...

Ok...thanks for bring this thread up again..waving...

Smiles..Diana
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2007
9:56 AM

Post #3454486

Hi, Diana! Nice deal on the paper . Your check cards sound inventive, too.
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2007
10:43 AM

Post #3454612

Well...I do not like it when the check falls to the floor..lol...if it was a gift card..make a widdle envelope to hold it there..lol...many ways..for sure..and I like to use up..scrapes..even..cut squares..and paste to the front..all different ones..color coordinated--but then I tend to pick certain colors...so I can get away with it..lol... I love the ones with beads...but then I have to have bubble..so they do not come off..or take and have hand stamped...Card making is endless for sure..

Happy day ..all..smiles..

Diana...
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #3807371

check out splitcoaststampers.com for great ideas - even if you don't have the stamps used - the ideas are awesome
insectlady
Augusta, GA

August 3, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6903029

I have been making pop-up cards for years and love doing them.

If you are interested in learning how to make them, "The Pop-up Book" by Paul Jackson is the book to get. It shows you the mechanics of the cards, how to make them, and has a wonderful gallery of cards that were made based on the author's instructions. Also good, are Joan Invine's children's pop-up books: "How To Make Pop-ups", and "How To Make Holiday Pop-ups".

I have made pop-up hearts, butterflies, flowers, boxes [ a present and a bread machine thank you] , cakes, cake slices, and many others. Once you understand the mechanics, you are only limited by your creativity and steady hand in cutting and measuring the paper parts.

I hope that these books will inspire you as much as they have inspired me...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6940681

That book sounds great! Once you get the mechanics down, it would come together. Thanks for posting about that!
insectlady
Augusta, GA

August 19, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6965269

You are quite welcome, Gardenlady! I hope you will enjoy making them as much as I do!
insectlady
Augusta, GA

August 19, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6965280

Oops! I meant Gardenwife, please forgive me for the error!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6974240

No worries, I'll probably answer to either.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Digital Scrapbooking 4xthefun 28 Nov 20, 2012 2:29 PM
Anyone know how to make seed embedded paper, fancy and cute? branka 10 Apr 20, 2008 9:14 PM
Links for card designs?? ggd 9 Jul 29, 2008 1:53 PM
Card Making ggd 28 Apr 17, 2010 7:59 AM
pop-ups dp72 8 Aug 19, 2009 6:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America