Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: Help Brug's

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 22, Views: 264
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2001
9:05 PM

Post #8204

I've read so many listing about the brugs that I have gotten confused. I go out and look at mine and they are putting up many stalks from the same plant.(10-12) I keep reading about the y and several of them coming from the same plant have the y at ground level. If I wanted this brug to grow in to a tree form should I cut all of these back and just let one main branch come up. I pulled leaves from the bottom of the stalks earlier to make it a tree form. It seems it's turning in to a bush. Help. The first year I had two and they were in the tree form when I bought them. Jim
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2001
10:29 AM

Post #93447

bumping this so I can learn the answer too:)
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2001
1:13 PM

Post #93502

It appears no one wants to give me any advice on this.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2001
1:16 PM

Post #93503

Bonnie I am going to try cuttin one and see if it trees. I will let you know. Got the scissors in hand now. Jim
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2001
1:45 PM

Post #93509

ack!!!!!!!!
RA
Burlington, ON

July 12, 2001
2:32 PM

Post #93539

Just a guess here and I have not tried it.
I would think that they could be made into a Standard shape the same as most other plants. The best thing would be to start when the plant is young, taking off all side shoots and leaving only one leader. This would alow the trunk to grow in diameter as the leader grew. It would be crucial that this happened in order to support the top heavy top growth when you decided to stop pruning it and allowing it to grow into the tree shape. Perhaps also you would want to hold off on any fertilizer except Bone Meal so as not to push fast tender growth that would be weak.
Be sure to find the main stem and not cut this one!
I have had 2 types of growth on mine when they break dormancy in the spring, the shruby 3' wide 6' tall kind with 4-5 stems comming from the base and went to 5" tall and 2 stems from the base that started to branch at the 5' level and carried on into the tree shape from there to about 12' high.
RA
Burlington, ON

July 12, 2001
2:35 PM

Post #93543

in above message:
base and went to 5" tall and 2 stems
from the base that started to branch
at the 5' level
should read
base and went to 5' tall and 2 stems
from the base that started to branch
at the 5' level
RA.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2001
3:33 PM

Post #93562

Thaks RA and kht for the input. I want mine to be in shape of tree. Some are about 2 feet high now. Maybe I will leave them alone this year and shape when they start to put out next year.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2001
4:15 PM

Post #93575

Thanks. Good thinking. Tomorrow morning I will check them out and make some more plants. Jim
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2001
5:22 PM

Post #93616

I'll be here with the Brugs. That is if I can keep tiG knocked out of my garden.

This message was edited Thursday, Jul 12th 1:45 PM
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2001
2:16 AM

Post #93806

:) love you guys!!! and yes, I love my brugs. Even without the flowers yet, just the dream of them is enough.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2001
3:12 PM

Post #93970

Well I guess I will be a trader this fall. Brugmansia trader Jim. How does that sound. I decided when I started to take the cuttings to pull on the stalk that I was going to cut. WOWEE instant roots. I managed to get 10 rooted Brugs out of the ground about 16-18-inches in height. I did break two trying but I will try to root those. I also saw 3 more that are to small to pull on but I will be watching and pulling later. I left two of the original to bush. I am now the proud daddy of 19 Brugs and more cuttings rooting. I am headed to Walmart for some pots now. Thanks everyone for your help. New daddy Jim
pansey
vancouver, BC

July 19, 2001
2:30 AM

Post #96375

Hi was given my first brug as a gift last night, It is two feet tall and has four buds on it was told to repot it using planter box mix and perlite also put in some osemacoat fertilizer and watered well. How soon can you take cuttings and from where, Just read to pick off leaves and put in perlite and water in plastic cup does this really work. thanks for help new to daves garden
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2001
2:33 AM

Post #96377

posted in other thread, that doesn't work. at least hasn't been proved yet.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2001
2:55 AM

Post #96401

Pansey - The best advice probably can be gathered from the postings of Karma Happy Toes and Brugansia. Also be aware that some are harder to root than other types according to other postings. I would send KHT or/and Brugmansia a personal email and ask their opinion. Welcome aboard. A lot of nice people here. Jim
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2001
2:58 AM

Post #96402

hey Jim, you give pretty good advice yourself, for a GA boy!!!
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2001
3:20 AM

Post #96420

Well thanks tiG. I figure you hang around these nice people long enough something has to rub off sooner or later. I have even started talking nice to my boss. NOT Jim
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2001
3:38 AM

Post #96433

Now, who might your boss be, Jim?

Jean :o)
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2001
1:32 PM

Post #96554

Wife mate????

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America