Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Plants: How to grow banana tree?

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 11, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2006
11:32 AM

Post #2005957

I have been watching this forum and I have got the banana tree fever. I want to grow one here, in a container, if possible. I will grow outdoors, until it gets too cold and then move it inside or whatever I need to do to keep it alive until the following spring. So, what type of banana tree should I buy? I know that some are easier to grow than others. I want one with big beautiful leaves but that might not be the best kind to grow. So, what should someone like me, with no experience, grow? And where do I find one? And when should I start growing it? Your help is most appreciated.

JesseK
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2006
11:45 AM

Post #2005969

I just found a site that sells lots of banana trees plus lots of other tropicals. I looked for it in the Garden Watchdog but it was not listed. Has anyone ever done business with The Banana Tree? Here is a list of all of their banana trees. http://www.banana-tree.com/catalog~category~17.cfm

JesseK
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2006
1:43 PM

Post #2006124

Jesse,

I'm way north of you but my musa basjoo is outside overwintering under mulch. My understanding is that in zone 7a, with several varietes of musa and ansetes you'll be able to grow them outside, in the soil with minimal protection (mulching), as die-back perennials. Start with musa basjoo (Japanese Fiber Banana) and musa sikkimensis (Himlayan Banana). You might also try musa itinerans (Giant Yunan Banana), and ansete glaucum (Snow Banana).

If edible fruit is your aim, I am not familiar with any cold-hardy edible varietes, but I am sure someone in here who is will reply. :)

-Joe
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2006
5:02 PM

Post #2006495

Just a technicality: The banana plant, though it is called a 'banana-tree' in popular usage, is technically regarded as a herbaceous plant (or 'herb'), not a tree, because the stem does not contain true woody tissue. Another fun fact to store in your brain!

nathalyn
Knoxville, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2006
10:15 PM

Post #2007092

Jesse, I grow several different varieties of bananas, and have found dwarf Cavendish to be suitable for containers. While many bananas can be grown in containers, I prefer to grow the smaller varieties in pots and the larger varieties in the ground.

The ones grown in containers are easily moved inside the basement or garage for the winter. While lots of folks here locally grow basjoo as it is hardy, I prefer some of the other varieties.
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

January 28, 2006
11:25 PM

Post #2007230

I agree with nathalyn that DC is a good container tree. I really also like Dwarf Red...it has a red pseudostem and red central leaf vein. Before I saw this thread, I had just added a photo to PlantFiles! I also grow Dwarf Orinoco, it could be kept in container.

A comment on culture... In three words, bananas hate winter. They hate low temps, low light and low humidity. So during the winter, if you want to keep them green and growing, keep light levels up. Spider mites in winter are a big problem, so mist frequently or otherwise keep the humidity up, and keep some air moving around them if possible. They are also heavy feeders. I have grown them in Promix-type potting soil as well as peat/loam soil in the greenhouse. With proper culture they will grow all year, though more slowly in the winter.

Joegee, it is my understanding is that you won't get fruit from M. basjoo and others in these marginal zones, since it dies back, is that right?
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2006
8:41 PM

Post #2013276

I'm not sure, Stressbaby. From what I have seen about m. basjoo being grown down in Kentucky I can expect it to send out pups like mad, and create a nice thick 6' high clump, but I think you're right. My growing season may be long enough for flowering, but it will be too short for the fruit to ripen.

-Joe
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2006
12:14 PM

Post #2019268

JesseK If you can grow in a large pot [with casters on the bottom] and move the plant inside durring freezing weather, you can get bananas from Dwarf Cavandish. --but like has been mentioned --they hate winter --any way if you keep the stalk from freezing and alive it will fruit . -- If you can transplant a new shoot about mid summer and keep it going till next spring it will fruit in mid summer and you will get Ripe bananas by fall.
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2006
2:51 AM

Post #2023517

What size pot do you recommend? I need to know what size so I will know what size cart to put it on. They have those little round things with wheels on them and they aren't too expensive. What size would I need to buy?

JesseK
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2006
12:06 PM

Post #2023924

I would get the largest size that will work for you, -ie--fit in the house, and you are able to move with out getting hurt. Bananas will grow in smaller containers but if you want fruit get a big one--like 20 gallon if you can --if not, go smaller. the ripe fruit on the DC will sometimes exceed 40 pounds, and you need a large enough container to keep that from tipping over, [I have used all kind of crop suport]-- I will go out and get you a picture or two --I have 3 or 4 bunches in the greenhouse right now--
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2006
12:27 PM

Post #2023944

Here is one -this one probly will go 45 pounds, --

Thumbnail by Michaelp
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2006
12:34 PM

Post #2023957

Even though these plants have some frost damage the bananas will still ripen and be fine. It got down to 20 deg here a few weeks ago and the tops and ends of the bananas got frozen-[in the greenhouse]-but they are still growing, just slow--as long as the stalk doesn't freeze it will fruit,[even if the leaves freeze]

Thumbnail by Michaelp
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America