Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Palms and Cycads: help repot ponytail palm

Communities > Forums > Palms and Cycads
bookmark
Forum: Palms and CycadsReplies: 15, Views: 347
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
abigailfaith
Midlothian, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2006
7:37 PM

Post #2017872

I've had a ponytail palm for 4 years and never repotted it. Help! It's in really bad shape. Can anyone provide some basic tips for repotting it? Thanks!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2006
12:14 AM

Post #2018454

pony tail palms are succulents, not real palms... but either way, they are very easy to repot. They have a very wimpy root system, and can take a lot of abuse (except for too much water). Just take it out of your current pot (you may need to break the pot if it's crammed in there), and stick it in a new one, not too deep (no deeper into the soil than it was before). Don't water right away (maybe a week later start watering regularly if it's warm... if it's cold, a lot less often). Be sure to use a well draining potting soil made for succulents.
spencersplace
Clarkston, MI

April 15, 2007
12:25 PM

Post #3394115

i just purchased a ponytail, needs repotted also,problem is the roots have grown thru the drainholes in botton of cantainer. can i cut these roots off?

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #3396526

yes
lancefall
San Diego, CA

October 3, 2007
4:27 AM

Post #4043343

This message was edited Oct 2, 2007 8:33 PM
RainbowRider
Brunswick, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2008
6:52 PM

Post #4671047

I'm ready to plant my Washingtonia robusta seeds, how far apart should the seeds be planted and how deep should they be placed? The temperature will be 70's am and a bit cooler at night. I was told on this community about a month ago that if the seeds were viable they should proliferate well. Under these conditions how long would it take to have sprouts showing? Thanks
fauna4flora
West Palm Beach, FL

March 16, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #4671394

RR- I'll be able to find out on Monday the germination period for that palm species if someone doesn't post it before then. Read through some of the last postings on the thread- "What Do I do now- Help w/Pindo palm..." FFP posted some good planting tips.
AmandaTaylor7
Alvin, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #4672223

My father-in-law is a HUGE fan of Ponytail palms. He has 2 in his front yard that are in the ground and are about 5 1/2 feet tall, with little "pups" coming off of them now. It's very interesting. He took it out of a large 10 gallon pot that he had it sitting in for YEARS. Basically, the thing was so crammed in there it had reconsumed a lot of it's own root system and what should have been the roots was instead the shape of the inside of the pot. It looked like someone had poured cement in the pot and then popped the pot off! Very weird, I wish I had pics. But it was doing okay and now that it's in the ground it is SUPER happy! Never knew these weren't palms, but it makes sense.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2008 7:10 PM
FoxtailFavPalm
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #4672410

I'm glad to know im being helpful...!!!
RainbowRider
Brunswick, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2008
2:27 AM

Post #4672856

Thanks f4f, and FFP has helped me out on several answers.
RainbowRider
Brunswick, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #4672906

f4f, i was researching today and found the answer to one of my questions, "how deep" to plant the palm seeds from an answer you gave another person on a thread i found. "Plant the seeds as deep as the size of the seed."
fauna4flora
West Palm Beach, FL

March 17, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #4673239

RR, FFP plants them half as deep as the seed. Many commercial nurseries I know lay them on top of the soil. As with many things, plants and seeds seem to be tolerant of a wide variety of conditions that we subject them to. I think the key with palm seeds is consistent ideal temperature and moisture.

Hi Amanda. Welcome to this forum. I know this posting was originally about Nolina- 'Ponytail Palms." (Isn't PB awesome?) They are really amazing as mature specimens, I agree. There are 2 primary species- Nolina recurvata that has the huge base, and Nolina guatmilensis that grows faster and tends to have a lot more branching. I have a baby recurvata (as well as a multi trunk/base specimen) that has variegated foliage. So cute. One of these days I'll take some zoom pics of the rock garden...

Have fun! F4F
RainbowRider
Brunswick, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2008
3:18 PM

Post #4674396

F4F, i'm sorry i posted on the wrong site. I put my questions in the Palms & Cycads forum thinking that was the right site. I guess i should have sent a D mail to an individual.
fauna4flora
West Palm Beach, FL

March 17, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #4674622

RR- germination timeframe for Washingtonia robusta: they start germinating in 17 days, and it takes about 3 months for all of them to sprout. I don't think anyone minds if you posted on this thread, and you were at the right forum. You can start your own thread next time, but no worries because half the fun of threads is going off the original subject anyway.
RainbowRider
Brunswick, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #4675192

Yes F4F, i noticed sometimes the debates get a little "heated". You're right, it is fun also. I sure appreciate the advice, you're very helpful and kind. I have to go back and find Foxtail about how long to soak the seeds. Seems like she told me 7 days, oh well, i'll find it. Have a nice day.
FoxtailFavPalm
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #4676342

Not meaning to be harsh... but it am a guy! Lol.
I could see how you could mistake. No one really clarifies their gender on the forum. I think it would be nice if people knew just for he or she preference.

7 day seed soaking is great. Im pretty sure you can soak the palm seeds how ever long you want and it will only speed up the germination rate! But not to long...I would say 3 weeks is going overboard!

Goodluck again RR.

Here is my oldest Washington fan palm of 5! They all germinated about 6 weeks ago and this one is working on its 3rd leaf.

Added info: I love this forum!

Thumbnail by FoxtailFavPalm
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Palms and Cycads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
2000 year Phoenix seed germinates growin 3 Jun 17, 2008 3:30 PM
Help Treating for Scale on Sago Palm spicerd 36 Jan 28, 2010 5:04 PM
How to propagate a pony tail palm dogmansis 9 May 24, 2008 12:29 PM
Sago palm turning yellow deb741 17 Apr 17, 2008 6:15 AM
Identity please? claypa 27 Dec 22, 2007 11:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America