Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

finding rabbit hunters

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I have 16 acres that are pretty good rabbit hunting. It has been managed for hunting for 20+ years. I used to have a husband that hunted, but have been divorced for over 10 years now.

I had one older fellow who used to come with an old dog several years ago, but he has passed away.

I've had a couple people come from work, but they don't have any dogs, and never get any rabbits. Heck, maybe it is that they are lousy shots! My property has a lot of cover, and to be successful, it seems you need a dog or two here. I have my fields mowed a couple times a year, and they are mowed in strips... leaving 50 feet unmowed.. then... then mow 50 feet etc... makes for great pheasant and other bird's habit too. When I first bought the property, a wildlife biologist from the state came out and told us how to mow like that. The fields were farmed before I bought the property 25 years ago, but I just let them grow up in the unmowed 50 feet.. so there are now some small trees and scrub in there. I also have a lot of brush piles, a pond etc... it's pretty good habit for all sorts of wild life... and so pretty good hunting too.

I grew up in a family of hunters, and I know hunting helps the animal population.

How would I go about finding a good rabbit hunter? I have asked neighbors. I have even left messages with my county game warden, but don't get called back. I don't have a clue how to find any beagle clubs. I have looked on the internet for beagle clubs but have not come up with anything.

I am a single woman, with an elderly Mom living with me out in the middle of no where, so I do need to be a bit careful. In other words, I don't want to put an ad in the paper - rabbit hunter wanted... LOL! I'd really like to know how to find a beagle club - I am thinking they would have responsible people ????

I just need someone who won't shoot my cats or the neighbors cats, and who will respect the property lines.... and hopefully, get enough rabbits that they will give my Mom half of one. She enjoys wild rabbit once in a while, although I do not.

Any ideas???

Thanks!!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

In our area people rent out hunting "leases". They pay a yearly lease to have hunting privledges on your property. Most of the larger hunting groups that lease are corporate. Large corporations will take their prospective customers and big wigs hunting to butter up getting their business. A company my DH used to work for leased hunting rites in another state and they took the private plane up and took the guys hunting several times a year. I think their favorite was pheasant.
One idea would be to contact major corporations and find out who would be in charge of their entertainment and hospitality for this type thing. Especially oil companies and oil related / construction related businesses.
Might take a little research finding the right market, but I know there is one. Good luck.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Growing up my parents raised AKC registered beagles and won numerous events at field trials. I spent many a night in the clubhouse or worse sleeping in the backseat of the car after a long night's drive.
Perhaps the AKC field trials listed for Ohio can get you pointed in a good direction.

http://clubs.akc.org/NBC/field_trial_clubs.htm#O

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much, haighr, that is just what I needed! I found a club in the town near where I live and also another in a town about 15 miles away. Surely, one of those clubs will have someone needing an extra place to run their dogs, and bag a few bunnies.

Why in the world I didn't think to look under AKC I don't know.

See, that's what makes Daves Garden a great place to be.

Happy hunting and fishing!

Jules

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

You are welcome Jules - hope it helps. Perhaps even if the club doesn't want to use the property, they may lead you in a good direction to just a few members who want to run in some new territory.
LOL, gotta relay this one experience that comes to mind. When I was about 5 or 6 and my sister a few years older, our parents took us to the Beagle Club in I believe Juinata County, PA. There was a bridge going over a little creek from the clubhouse to the fields. My sister stood at one side of the bridge and I at the other and were charging the trial members a small pittance of about 1-5 cents to cross the bridge either way. Everyone was humored at our entrepreneurship and someone informed our parents out in the field. LOL, I never saw my mother ride a horse so fast in her life getting back to that clubhouse and wailing our behinds!!!
Thanks for the memories!
Candee

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Did you have any luck in finding rabbit hunters?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Well-- the guys who used to come and hunt with dogs called out of the blue and asked if they could come. They came two weekends in a row and ended up with 9 and 1 for my Mom. That ought to help some!

I did keep the addresses of the local clubs that you helped me find though.

The guy who came --- he used to come with his uncle and cousins and his uncle's dogs. The dogs were pretty old! But they sure loved it! The reason they had not been to my place for a year was he was starting new, young dogs.

They usually only hunt on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. I am glad they came after all!

Thanks for your help!

sunland, United Kingdom

i iam looking for some land to hunt rabbits on but iam only 14 years old but me and me dad hunt together we both have air rifuls and i have ferrets wich are mint workers i have 4 years experince

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I have had quite a few d-mails asking me about coming and hunting since this posted. Thought I should come back here and update.

I have a new neighbor right beside me, that just built a house. He "doesn't want to see one of those beagles on my land" when anyone around here is hunting rabbit, because he hunts himself, and he didn't work all those years to be able to afford land like that to let someone else hunt it. But, he doesn't understand that for years, everyone around here didn't mind if the dogs went through fences -- you just knew not to go over on the other guy and actually hunt. The dogs don't know stop at the fence.

I have all the hunters I need now. Thanks very much for the interest.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2011 8:36 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.