Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Heucheras and Friends: Colorful Heucheras

Communities > Forums > Heucheras and Friends
bookmark
Forum: Heucheras and FriendsReplies: 148, Views: 520
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 6, 2006
3:20 PM

Post #2026339

Heucheras have such colourful foliage! Just to kick things off in our new forum, how about we post some pics showing just how colourful they can be?

Here's Plum Pudding's spring foliage:

Thumbnail by sanannie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 6, 2006
3:26 PM

Post #2026346

Marmalade at the end of May:

Thumbnail by sanannie

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 6, 2006
3:28 PM

Post #2026354

Lime Rickey:

Thumbnail by sanannie

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 6, 2006
3:31 PM

Post #2026366

Obsidian:

Thumbnail by sanannie

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 6, 2006
3:34 PM

Post #2026371

Hearts on Fire:

Thumbnail by sanannie

Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 6, 2006
4:05 PM

Post #2026436

Great looking plants! I love the color of your marmalade. It looks great with the circle of friends statue on the terra cotta pot.

I don't think I have any photos from last year. Most of mine were just planted last year and didn't make picture worthy. They spent the remainder of the summer settling in and hopefully growing lots of roots.

I can't wait for spring to come and they all start waking up. I'll definitely get pictures then.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 6, 2006
4:30 PM

Post #2026478

I don't think I have any pics from last year either,,,but I sure will have some this year,,,planted quite a few new lovelies last year,,,come on spring!!!!!!!

Sandy,
Gorgeous pics!

I lost my Marmalade last year ;``o{

Kelly
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2006
8:45 PM

Post #2026898

beautimous!!!!
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2006
9:36 PM

Post #2026974

NOW LADIES your going ot give the eskimo a head so big it is going to fall off her shoulders and break her key board.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 6, 2006
9:43 PM

Post #2026987

LOL,,,oz, just wait til you get your's and post some pics,,,you'll be falling over with her,,,
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 7, 2006
11:36 PM

Post #2029498

Thanks, you guys, I hope some others will post their pics too!

Oz, no fear of that chum! I'll take all the complements I can get...but I'll be sure to hand them out, too.

Sandy

Even the plain green one, Splendens, is colourful and the flowers last a long time.

Thumbnail by sanannie

GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 7, 2006
11:47 PM

Post #2029525

Whew,,,we can all get a piece of that one,,,it's nice and big,,,lol
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 8, 2006
12:08 AM

Post #2029572

Kelly - that's actually a group of about 5 of them and I've got *lots* to share because I divided a couple of them in the fall!
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
1:00 AM

Post #2029662

Heuchera Montrose Ruby

Thumbnail by woodthrush

woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
1:01 AM

Post #2029663

H. Midnight Burgundy

Thumbnail by woodthrush

woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
1:03 AM

Post #2029667

H. Strawberry Swirl

Thumbnail by woodthrush

Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
1:24 AM

Post #2029713

Gorgeous! If you haven't already, will you submit them to plantfiles? They are really great photos, all of them.

I'm adding Midnight Burgundy to my shopping list. I have Midnight Claret, and I think Midnight Burgundy is a more vigerous form of Midnight Claret. My Midnight Claret is doing well, and it's beautiful! So, Midnight Burdundy should be even better. :)
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
1:31 AM

Post #2029735

H. Mardi Gras

Thumbnail by woodthrush

woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
1:35 AM

Post #2029745

H. Hearts on Fire
I'll add them to the plant files tomorrow.
Pam

Thumbnail by woodthrush

woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
1:36 AM

Post #2029750

H. Snow Angel

Thumbnail by woodthrush

woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
1:44 AM

Post #2029766

H. City Lights

Thumbnail by woodthrush

woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
1:45 AM

Post #2029767

H. Monet

Thumbnail by woodthrush

woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
1:46 AM

Post #2029773

H. Stormy Seas

Thumbnail by woodthrush

woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
1:47 AM

Post #2029775

Heucherella Heart of Darkness - young plant

Thumbnail by woodthrush

levilyla
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2006
9:38 AM

Post #2030300

I only have tried a few of these beauties...however they all seem to die out after a year or so. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? i plant in shaded situation and try to give them well drained area.
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2006
10:53 AM

Post #2030340

Great photos! I especially like 'Midnight Burgundy'. We have quite an assortment finally planted and I'll have to remind myself to grab some pics this spring to share.
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
11:20 AM

Post #2030356

I'll post some different tiarella's later.
Pam
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 8, 2006
12:04 PM

Post #2030402

Wow, you have some gorgeous pics there, Pam. City Lights is one I haven't seen around. Thanks for posting!

Sandy
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
2:14 PM

Post #2030607

Tiarella Heronwoods Mist. Note the tiny piggyback leaf. I don't know if that's normal or not for this variety.
Pam

Thumbnail by woodthrush

woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
2:16 PM

Post #2030609

Tiarella Kamono. When I took these photos last summer, I was trying to collect photos more of the foliage differences than the whole plant.

Thumbnail by woodthrush

woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
2:17 PM

Post #2030612

Tiarella Neon Lights

Thumbnail by woodthrush

GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
6:16 PM

Post #2030948

wood,
Gorgeous!!!!!!

My Stormy Seas is darker than yours,,,do you have yours in a lot of sun? I have mine in a.m. sun.

Kelly
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
7:07 PM

Post #2031043

Actually, I don't think it gets a lot of sun at all.
It's pretty close to the back of that bed and the trees and house keep any direct sun blocked. Does the silver veining show up with a lot of sun?
Pam
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2006
10:47 PM

Post #2031450

woodthrush, is it possible some of your tags might have got mixed up? The photo you posted of 'Heronswood Mist' actually looks like Tolmiea menziesii, common name 'Piggyback Plant' http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1664/index.html. 'Heronswood Mist' has green and white variegated foliage with a hint of pink in spring http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/77435/.

Also, I believe your photo of 'Neon Lights' looks more like x Heucherella 'Sunspot' http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/58063/index.html. 'Neon Lights' has a leaf with a dark center and deep green almost glossy foliage http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/82866/index.html

Some beautiful photos!
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2006
11:01 PM

Post #2031476

I got my list. looks like it is going to be close to mid april before I can work get them. I think friday are monday am going to go pick up a 1/2 ton of top soil to mix in with the chicken compost and other stuff in the new bed. There is a sheet of dolmite stone about a ft below the orginal surface over there. I guess with all my compost and top soil it is going to be about 2 ft deep in places. also heavy mostly shade. Heuchera should work over there. I am also going to get some Brunnera this year. This bed will be against the house. on a stone path we built last year. don't tell me to remove the stone. that rock is about 50 ft wide and that long. god only knows how deep. My house's foundation rest on it.
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
11:42 PM

Post #2031556

The heronswoods came from Primrose Path. It won't survive outside if it's a piggyback plant, so I'll know for sure in the spring. There are several tiarella's that have the red like Sunspot and Spotlight. They aren't planted close together at all, so if tagged wrong, they came from the different nurseries. Maybe sun exposure has to do with it? My yard is very shaded.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 9, 2006
2:35 AM

Post #2031963

Pam,
I don't know if it shows up more or not with sun,,,I'll definitely get a pic of mine this spring and post it.

Kelly
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2006
8:41 AM

Post #2032279

Pam, it's possible the shade has something to do with it. Although, we have our 'Neon Lights' in a shady location also and even in the early spring, I've never seen it with even a hint of red. That's one of the things I've always liked about this Tiarella is the almost black centers. What time of year was your photo taken?
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2006
10:58 AM

Post #2032342

I can verify that Tiarellas have an eversion to sun around here. I am itchiong to go get that dirt but it really is to cold to work out there. Suppose to be about 12-14 hundred puond a scoop. Good load for my little pickup even with overload springs on it.
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 9, 2006
11:48 AM

Post #2032395

Well, I have been thinking about it and now I am wondering if the ones I have that all look so similiar are the ones from that awful coop last summer. I wonder after all the problems, if I received mislabeled plants too. Once spring comes, I'll have to verify the markings on each of them.
Pam
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2006
12:16 PM

Post #2032430

Wood thrush I just am really starting this year with Huechera. We have six types now. but i bet by the fall we willk have between 25 and 20. I also want some Brunnera. We are on the locale Garden tour this year and have a new bed to fill in. I do not have a lot of room. just a lot about 1/2 acre.
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 9, 2006
12:58 PM

Post #2032485

Ozarkian,
I probably have 30-35 heuchera and maybe 10 tiarellas. I've been collecting for about 5 fives. Every year, I do lose one or two from winterkill. Amber Waves just will not survive our winters. I'm hoping last year's lighter leaved varieties will do better than AW over the winter.
Pam
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2006
2:46 PM

Post #2032659

I have been in drought for 5 years. I have been watering when i get a chance all winter. I have never lost a heuchera and only one hosta out of the 136 I have. I been lucky so far. this year is the worst yet. The amber waves looks real good though.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2006
2:51 PM

Post #2032672

All this talk about Heuchera and Friends is wonderful. What a delightful way to look forward to spring. I only have a few, 'Snow Angel', an oldie from a neighbor, and 'Purple Palace' but I'm trading daylilies and hosta for a few more this spring. I love reading all the entries!
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 9, 2006
3:04 PM

Post #2032697

You guys are giving me 'zonal envy' - lol. It's a long way til spring here.
Pam
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2006
4:56 PM

Post #2032934

Pirl I hate Purple Palace. We got several. They get shaggy. I did something this fall I never heard of before. I took a pair of hedge shears and chopped them down to almost nubs. I want to see if i can get some form out of them. everyone thought i killed them(that was my subconsious intention I think) but they have spouted leaves all winter. As i understand it snow angel is a very good plant it is not as stangly and it is one of the few white varigated that will grow well. I wanteed a monet. Nursury here told me he would not carry them because of all the problems they have with them dying. He said they only make food with green color and not white and that Monet literly starves to death a lot of the time.
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 9, 2006
5:25 PM

Post #2033005

Chopping it down will probably give you a plant with multiple crowns.
That's what happens when the occasional deer gets in my yard. The eat the center young leaves on the heuchera. I'm not crazy about Palace Purple either. Probably because you just see it everywhere.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 9, 2006
5:31 PM

Post #2033013

wood,
I did have Amber Waves winter for me here,,,however I did lose my Marmalade and my Monet is Just hanging on. I will try another Marmalade though. I have a friend that has it too,,I'll have to check with her to see if her Marmalade came back,,,I do believe her Amber Waves came back also.

Although I know zones don't mean that much,,,it's the weather in each part of the same zone,,,

Kelly
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2006
7:37 PM

Post #2033223

Well if I do not like it they will be gone. It is an experiment. I would not have a occasional deer I would be a group if they came down here.
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 9, 2006
7:57 PM

Post #2033271

We have a lot of deer here too. But the yard is fenced. So we only get one once in a while, usually the younger ones that will crawl under.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2006
12:01 AM

Post #2033705

Mine do well and all have multiple crowns. I do cut off an occasional sun weary leaf but I'd like to divide them and put some with my very lightly shaded orange daylilies - not ditch daylilies, but our own hybrids.

Here the 'Snow Angel' is quite appreciative of afternoon shade. I have to move them this spring.

I also have 'Bridesmaid' and it does well in the sunny courtyard.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2006
12:05 AM

Post #2033720

Woodthrush I have seen them standing still and suddenly just leap straight up over a 5 ft high fence with ease. Must be something else keeping the adults out of there. you got a dog. ????
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2006
1:45 AM

Post #2033968

No, no dog. We've had a fence up about 6 years now. I read an article in one of the gardening magazines that deer follow the same paths when browsing. If you can break them of that, put obstacles (fencing) in their way, they will usually walk around it rather than jump it. The first year we had the fence up, a few jumped it, but mostly now, it's just a curious little one that will go under the fence. It's just chicken wire fencing that we use too. Five foot high. Saw 7 deer tonight walking through the neighbors back yard. We do have trouble keeping the deer out of the front yard though. We have two driveway entrances, and it's just impossible to close them off.
Pam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2006
11:49 AM

Post #2034669

Pam - we also have an "Exit" and "Entrance" on our driveway, which is only a foot more narrow than our local roads. So we have the same problem and the deer are around because the Lhasa wakes us up with his warning barks around 3 and 4 AM.

Two friends have put up the 8 foot black mesh fencing but my feeling is they'd get trapped in your yard or mine because they still have to leave, eventually, through the driveway. They've already killed one of our dogs so I'll use Liquid Fence, Deer Scram, etc.
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2006
12:23 PM

Post #2034719

Yes, they have been trapped in the front yard and they can jump the fence if they need too. Our whole piece of property is bordered with the fence. Then we have gates to the entrance of the back yard. That's where most of the plants are. We've tried all the sprays, but that still leaves the deer imprinted with finding food in your yard. If the spray is on one plant and not another, then they still find food and will return again and again. If you can break them of following the path to your yard, they will follow a new path. Here, they come out of the woods at almost the same spot every day, walk the same path through the neighbors yard, every day, and go back into the woods at the same point.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2006
1:04 PM

Post #2034772

According to our radio gardening guru, Ralph Snodsmith, you have to apply your control BEFORE they begin their "winter grazing habits". Once established it's useless to try and stop them until the following November/December.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2006 9:04 AM
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2006
1:44 PM

Post #2034841

Pril November is the rutt. I have only seen one agressive deer and that was a 8point buck in the rutt. I live on a long point that goes out into the lake. it is large enough that there are homes and lots on eachg side of it. They are not to thrilled about running around down here. I think it is because they might feel trapped a bit. We have several neighbors with dogs. I think that has something to do with it. My little dog grows hiar like crazy and I groom her about one time a month. Always do it in the yard. And like I say tinkel tinkle out there they do not like either. I know something else that the goverment uses as a repelant. you mix about 2 are 3 eggs up in a galolong of water and spray itv on plants. The egg rots and they can smell it even though you cannot and they do not like it a bit. I am more concerned about deer in the spring than the fall. We had a lady here a few years back almost killed by a doe that had a fawn. This woman had been feeding the mother for a year are better. She went out there to feed her one morning and never seen the fawn and the mother reared up and stomped her into disfigurement. Last spring I seen a mother and fawn about 1 day old crossing the road. She seen me coming and gave the sign and that fawn dropped to the road bed. I stopped and sat there about 10 minutes waiting for her to give the fawn the go ahead to get up. She would not do it, and since the road does have light traffic I finally decided to get the fawn off the road. I could see the doe about 30 ft back in the woods. I picked that little devil up and took him to the edge of the woods and turned him loose. But I am going ot tell you, I was scared the whole time. If she would have charged me I do not think I would have gotten back to the truck.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2006
1:52 PM

Post #2034847

Thanks for the advice. We now just have one dog but I can get him to tinkle along the edge of the property and the driveway. Great idea.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2006
8:29 PM

Post #2035672

Sorry to spoil the fun, but we had a complaint about the thread getting off-color, and after reading through the most-recent dozen-plus posts, I had to agree. I think I sent a note of explanation to everyone who had one or more posts removed; if I missed someone., I'm sorry - but now you know why your post disappeared along with the others.

I now return you to your "regularly scheduled programming"...which was Heucheras, I think ;o)
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2006
8:34 PM

Post #2035688

lol - ok, back to colorful foliage.
Tiarella Running Tapestryl

Thumbnail by woodthrush

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2006
8:36 PM

Post #2035692

How about a Heuchera Beauty Color???

Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom

woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2006
8:53 PM

Post #2035728

That's a pretty one. Is it grow in sun or shade?
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2006
9:57 PM

Post #2035884

Susan,
That one is gorgeous!

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2006
10:11 PM

Post #2035918

Wish I could take credit for it. It's not mine, off that site I gave you earlier. LOL
Susan
=^..^=
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2006
10:15 PM

Post #2035934

Terry, thank you! I was beginning to wonder where this thread was going - LOL!

woodthrush, don't you just love 'Running Tapestry'? This particular Tiarella is a from the T. cordifolia strain which means it travels (i.e. spreads), but that's one of the things I love about it. Plus the dark variegated foliage with a smaller, more round leaf is especially nice combined with all the varieties.

And 'Beauty Color'! What can I say? We've had 'Ring of Fire' before, but this one really shines in the garden. The first year we planted it out it was particularly spectacular, with a bright pink margin in early spring. You definitely have some wonderful plants!
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2006
10:17 PM

Post #2035939

Geez, every time that red 'Alert' pops up, letting me know someone has posted while I'm busy typing - scares the heck out of me! But now I realize while I was busy typing that the 'Beauty Color' is yours, Susan :) Serves me right for checking out the forums at the end of the day instead of early morning when I'm usually sharper :)
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2006
10:18 PM

Post #2035945

Ah, I was wondering cause mine never did have that blush on the edges. Was wondering if it needed more sun to bring it out.
Pam
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2006
11:26 PM

Post #2036114

RCN just how many Heucheras do you have.? How long you been collecting?
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 11, 2006
1:08 AM

Post #2036390

woodthrush - that's a nice pic of Tiarella Running Tapestry. Do you have Tiarella cordifolia too? It's a fast spreader, but I love it. I think the Tiarellla Running Tapestry has cordifolia in its parentage so I was wondering if it was as much of a spreader as cordifolia is.

Sandy
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2006
1:10 AM

Post #2036394

Where do most of you purchase your Heucheras and Heucherellas. I don't have too many and want to get a few more this spring. I do have a really pretty pink Heucherella in my woodland garden but forgot when it was light to go look at the tag.

DonnaS
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2006
1:22 AM

Post #2036426

Rutholive If you have a good nursury in your state. And I know you do go buy from them. I believe in buying only what I can see. There are several big growers in your area. I think that there is a lot of on line promotion on here. I feel better with a plant that has been grown locally in my zone. Plants on the internet might be cheaper but buy the time you pay all the shipping etc I do not think you save much if anything.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2006
1:37 AM

Post #2036471

Beauty Color-when i saw that one today i said thats the one i need and then i kept scrolling and found so many more i really NEED!
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 11, 2006
2:06 AM

Post #2036529

lol - Badmartha- guess we should have hung a warning sign on this thread.
Sanannie, no, I don't have t. cordifolia. I'll have to look for it.
Rutholive - my two favorite places for buying heuchera have stopped shipping. Primrose Path has gone wholesale only selling by the tray like Terra Nova. My other favorite was Robyns Nest and they have stopped shipping too. Shipping rates on plants have just gone too high. I don't know if I'll buy a lot of mail order this year.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2006
1:21 PM

Post #2037222

Thanks for the infor mation on getting heucheras. There is no good nursery within 100 miles of me so I have depended on mail orders. Sure wish Terra Nova sold retail.

DonnaS
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2006
4:44 PM

Post #2037651

Donna, you can go to Terra Nova's website and they have a list of retail nurseries who carry their plants. http://terranovanurseries.com/pages/retailusacanada.html#mailorder. Something must be wrong with their website right now because even though you can get to that link, it won't list all the nurseries. You could probable email them and ask for a list of nurseries in your state. With your location in Washington, there HAS to be someone near you who carries their plants.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2006
5:11 PM

Post #2037713

There does not have to be a nursury close to her she likes. I been to Wash state it is not Virginia. I bet she is far out. It is not hard to do in the west. I do not have a real good nursury within 100 miles of me and I am right in a resort area in central missouri. The reason I said that donna about a place close I figured you were close to Seattle. I looked at the map and your way out there. I can see why you have to rely on mail order. I hesitate to recommend anything on line. Only thing I have bought on line came from Naylor. Most places will do a job on you with shipping charges.I seen one last week i had a order set up for $57 and the shipping was $22.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2006 12:14 PM
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 11, 2006
6:15 PM

Post #2037857

I wish Terra Nova sold retail too. I also depend on mail order for the majority of my plants. I have a few local greenhouses around here, but they are mostly the common things, and only one or two different cultivars of each.

I use plantscout a lot to find things. Type in the plant I'm looking for, and choose where to order from there.
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2006
7:53 PM

Post #2038038

ozarkian, look at your map - not all of Virginia is a 'metropolis' :) Our neck of the woods in Virginia doesn't have a darned thing that's closer than a good 2 hour drive. Sure, we're only an hour from Roanoke, an hour from Charlottesville, but neither one is an easy drive for us - either we have to travel up over the Blue Ridge Mountains or fight the horrid tractor trailers on I-81.

In defense of mail order shipping charges, UPS and FedEx rates have continued to increase over the past few years - all you have to do is look at the gas prices and realize something had to change. UPS alone has had two rate changes in just the past year! In addition, they started charging the retail establishments an additional $2.00+ to deliver to a residential address versus a business address. One thing most people don't realize is that if they order just one plant the shipping charges would be the same as if they ordered three plants because of across-the-board "base rates". However, I "hear you" - some companies do take advantage and charge far more than is necessary to cover their expense. Most of the time my feeling is that if you figure in the cost of actually finding a nursery that sells the plant you want (i.e. gas for traveling to that nursery), it's usually cheaper to order it via mail order. Think of the time you save travelling - which allows you to spend more time in your gardens!
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

February 11, 2006
8:19 PM

Post #2038093

I "was" going to order four coleus the other day. Came to $27. for the four plants then another $22.00 for shipping. No way! I cancelled.
Four plants can easily fit in the flat rate Priority box for $8.00 I've even been checking the seed catalogs lately. If they charge too much for shipping like $4.00 for an envelope of seeds, I'm looking elsewhere.
You can mail a lot of seeds for a buck.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2006
9:03 PM

Post #2038165

I know woodthrush: I guess there are a few nice palces on the internet and i understand their cost angle. but it is not in line with some of the things i have had to order on line. I recently had 32 lb shipped from Ariz and they only charged me 11 bucks shipping. I do not understand that.

I like to buy locale for the same reason I like to buy American. I live here and want to support my community. I just do not trust buying something I do not see.

RCN I understand the problems with trucks. But that is how it is. I drive from here to central Ohio a couple times a year on I-70. When I go to either St Louis are Kansas city I go along I-70. I am aware of all the games they play like blocking in traffic the way they do that in the east is beyond belief. I do not like it either, but I know they catch a lot of flack also. I just ignore it as best I can. It is much easier on the heart.

ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2006
10:29 PM

Post #2038328

Donna is it possible for you to take a couple of days off in the spring and kind of take a mini vacation to just buy plants. I think that is what Kittymom does about every year. For me it is 200 miles to St louis and 100 to Kansas City. I can make either in a one day run if we get started real early. You Know Naylor is in Chimacum Washington. No idea where that is. They sell stuff beside Hosta but I though but I am not sure what. Very nice people.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2006
2:12 AM

Post #2038843

ozarkian, Chimacum is about 7 hours from here plus an expensive ferry. Herronswood is a little farther, and can get there without the ferry. There are two or three good nurseries about 6 or 7 hours away . I have been to Molbaks about 6 or so hours, so only get there about once a year.

There are lots of nurseries in Oregon, but most are 9 or 10 hours or farther, so that is why I shop by mail. For annuals and some perennials, but not shrubs or trees, there are a couple of nurseries not quite 2 hours away. But for shrubs or trees, which are of course more costly to ship, I don't know of a good nursery. There was a good one about an hour away and I bought quite a few trees before they went out of business..

Well anyway since I was diagnosed with angina last summer I have been trying not to buy more plants, just take better care of what I have!!!!!!!!!!!

DonnaS
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2006
4:11 AM

Post #2039259

Yoiu be careful donna and take care of what you have. I have had a 4 way by pass and it almost killed me so play it cool. You live in one of the most finest areas in the country.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2006
1:38 PM

Post #2039670

ozarkian, Yes I agree about this great area, I have lived here all my long life. Have also been to all but three of our 50 states, S. America and Europe, Still prefer this area.
You also take care of yourself.

DonnaS
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2006
4:56 PM

Post #2072896

Gypsy Dancer

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2006
5:01 PM

Post #2072903

Sugar & Spice

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2006
5:03 PM

Post #2072907

I have lots more growing in my garden. Pictures to follow as soon as they start emerging from their Winter nap!
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2006
5:46 PM

Post #2072996

Shirley,

Lovely,,,can't wait to see more pics, thanks for sharing them. Can't wait til mine wake up and I can get pics of them also.

Kelly
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2006
5:51 PM

Post #2073007

Thanks Kelly! Yes, mine are still napping too. Hopefully, next month (just a few days away), I'll be able to see their gorgeous leaves unfurl!
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2006
6:40 PM

Post #2073105

I found a few more Heuchera pictures hiding on my computer...

Heuchera Can-Can

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2006
6:41 PM

Post #2073108

Reverse side of Heuchera, Can-Can

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2006
6:53 PM

Post #2073130

That is one of the ones on my need to have eventually list,,,among many others,,,LOL. Lovely!
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2006
7:09 PM

Post #2073150

Heuchera, Stoplight

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2006
7:11 PM

Post #2073154

I know what you mean! Heucheras & cousins are now on my "MUST HAVE" list!!! What's another plant obsession??? :~)

Heuchera, Velvet Night

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2006
7:11 PM

Post #2073157

Underside of Velvet Night

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2006
7:12 PM

Post #2073161

Heuchera, Dayglow Pink

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2006
7:14 PM

Post #2073167

I probably have a few more, but need to keep searching on my computer.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2006
7:23 PM

Post #2073188

Gorgeous Shirley! Have you added those photos to PlantFiles? If not, you definitely should. They are great.

I can't wait for spring. All my babies are still sound asleep under their blanket of snow. 2 more months for me yet.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2006
7:38 PM

Post #2073215

Joan.
Same here,,,but I am so wishing it was earlier!!!!!!
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2006
7:42 PM

Post #2073226

Thanks Joan! Yes, I promise to add them to the PlantFiles!
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 27, 2006
1:30 AM

Post #2073963

Lovely pics Shirley! I love the water droplets on Sugar and Spice. And, I would never have thought to photograph the underside of the leaves... they're so pretty, though.

Sandy

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2006
5:36 PM

Post #2075329

Thanks Sandy! Sometimes the underside of the leaves are so colorful & interesting!
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 27, 2006
6:21 PM

Post #2075403

I've noticed that with some of mine also. I fact, there's one that I like the underside of the leaf color better than the top,,,LOL
NoH2O
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2006
6:38 PM

Post #2075444

Which one is that, Kelly?
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 27, 2006
6:39 PM

Post #2075450

LOL Kelly. Plant it in a bucket and hang it upside down.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 27, 2006
7:04 PM

Post #2075505

No,
I just can't remember right off hand,,,I'll have to see in spring,,,now there was one,,,maybe I'll be able to think of it later,,,oooo, I hate that!!!!

Joan,
Now, there's an idea,,,LOL
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2006
11:33 PM

Post #2076001

Oh My Gosh, what have I started??? Some of you may have heard about growing Tomatoes upside down. Now, we may be starting a new trend by growing Heuchera in the same manner! :~)

When you remember which Heuchera that is GardenGeek_WI, be sure to let us all know!
Shadyfolks
Chesterland, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2006
12:02 AM

Post #2076058

Wow guys! I just found this forum and it's grrrreat. I have really enjoyed looking over everyones pictures. I do believe I am going to have to keep my eyes open for some new ones this spring.
Shady
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2006
8:00 AM

Post #2076737

Shirley, thanks for the posting your unique photos - now I'm going to have pay closer attention to mine this spring!

Kelly, could it have been 'Marmalade'? In early spring I thought Marmalade and Amber Waves were similar - not so - by summer Marmalade showed herself to be much prettier and the one thing I love is how the leaves almost curl up to show the deep "pink" (?) undersides.
Edited: guess it wasn't Marmalade - just scrolled back up and saw your post about losing yours :(

I don't have any pictures, but if my memory serves me right - Peach Melba was also similar with the darker undersides - although not as "ruffled" as Marmalade.

Marmalade on left, Amber Waves on right.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2006 4:05 AM

Thumbnail by rcn48

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 28, 2006
12:20 PM

Post #2076872

Great comparison shot rcn! I think many people wonder about the difference between Marmalade and Amber Waves.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2006
2:06 PM

Post #2077038

RCN in my area and my soil amber waves never gets that green It is amber all year almost. But it does get a few hours of mid day sun.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2006 7:10 PM
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 28, 2006
11:55 PM

Post #2078063

Shirley,
I will definitely let you know,,,it may be spring,,,I may have to go out and look at them to remember,,,LOL

Shady,
Glad you found it,,,was wondering when you would be popping in,,,LOL

rcn,
My Amber Waves gets more color to it as the summer progresses,,,I am really bummed about the Marmalade,,,it was doing really well, and then, there it was,,,gone. Will maybe replace it this year and try again.

Kelly
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2006
6:18 AM

Post #2078766

I have been lurking, what beautiful foliage. I hope I can find some locally.

Teresa
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2006
9:06 AM

Post #2078821

I apologize, the picture posted is not a true representation of the color 'Amber Waves'. These plants were grown under shade cloth and did not have the benefit of true sun/shade conditions. I was really trying to point out the 'ruffling' of the 'Marmalade' leaves and the undersides of the leaves which I think are more attractive than 'Amber Waves'.

On another note, I happened to be outside yesterday checking our Heucheras and found that the huge mole problem we have has spread to our Heuchera gardens :( They tunnel through our gardens and leave the plants "suspended" and we end up having to stomp around the plant. Hopefully we won't have to replant each and every one of them!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2006
10:48 AM

Post #2078879

rcn do you ever mail order? If so what is your source? I would love to try Stoplight.
mickgene
Linden, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2006
1:22 PM

Post #2079097

bluegrass, here's a page from the Plant Scout for Stoplight.

http://davesgarden.com/ps/search.php?search_text=Tiarella+%27Stoplight%27
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2006
1:26 PM

Post #2079103

Wow, it can stop you in your tracks! That is on my wish list!
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 2, 2006
7:12 PM

Post #2081781

I Really need to find out which one I have,,,can't seem to remember that well these days,,,lol
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2006
7:30 PM

Post #2081822

Wow I will have to order the spot light one for sure I have'nt seen that one for sale at our locale nurseries.!!Shirley were do you buy all of yours from? They sure are some beauties??

Loretta..

ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2006
8:17 PM

Post #2081966

Loretta I bet you will this year. I would call around and ask them. Heuchera are going to come on real strong I believe this year because the word is out on them.

Kelly the people that own the summer home a cuople of houses down called and she found both Peachy Keen And Persain Carpet for me in Kansas City. They are suppose to have them on the shelf about the 15th of this month. Cost me $8 each in gal containers. All the other 11 Heuchera and Heucherella on my list are in gal containers and I will pick them up at the nursury in St louis about 1 april. They will be $11 apiece. Unless I find them all in Kansas City. I still feel if you can drive to a large city your better of buying local. You cannot match the deals I have on these Heuchera and Heucherella.
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2006
10:57 PM

Post #2082358

Loretta, I received the majority of Heucheras from DG...when we use to have co-ops! :~(

A big grower of new forms of Heuchera is Terra Nova Nurseries, which is a wholesaler. They only sell to the trade. However, Terra Nova does have suggested retail nurseries listed on their website by state. Here is a link to look up where to buy Heucheras in your area. http://www.terranovanurseries.com/pages/retailusacanada.html#md
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2006
11:21 PM

Post #2082392

Thanks Shirley..I bookmarked the site and will go shopping..I heard about the co-ops they used to have here and everything was at good prices,sure wish they had it now.. :o(((

Loretta...
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2006
11:45 PM

Post #2082437

I totally agree about the co-ops, Loretta! Wish we still had them too!

Happy shopping!
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 4, 2006
5:48 PM

Post #2086237

oz,
That's a great price for a gallon container of Heuchera. I have 2 local nurseries that I'm going to be checking out this year.

I just took a look outside. The East wall of the Salon,,,'Stormy Seas' has a few new leaves on it,,,oooooo, won't be long now,,,SPRING,,,yeeehaaaaa,,,covered them beack up though,,,LOL

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2006
5:40 PM

Post #2104732

Here is a picture of the Plum Pudding I got at lowes the other day.

Not as pretty as picture #1 on this thread, but it is pretty nice.

Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2006
5:42 PM

Post #2104736

Here is my Peach Melba after being uncovered. Not very peach at the moment, hoping it perks up soon.

Thumbnail by 9kittymom

ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2006
10:03 PM

Post #2105319

I got one of those plum pudding at Lowes also last week they are nice sized plants. Next week is suppose to start my real buying.

We are under tornado watch till 8pm.

I want to go to K C next week. Maybe to Springfield tomorrow.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2006 5:16 PM

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2006
10:18 PM

Post #2105344

What's in Springfield??? That IS doable for me. I have a cousin who lives in Springfield too.

You would think there would be something in Tulsa wouldn't you???

How would I find that out do you think??? What is in Tulsa I mean.

Susan
=^..^=
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2006
10:32 PM

Post #2105376

I sure would think tulsa has something. There is a giant nursery out in Okla somewhere. The guy i bought the the turkey compost shipped tons and tons of that stuff out there. He only said they were a nursery grower.

Springfield does not have much I just checked it out. I do not thin k i will go. I am going to tear out some over grown Yews.

I looked Nurseries in Springfield Mo on the internet search engine. It usually sends you to a yellow pages page. You might find some individual listings. I am going to try it myself now.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 14, 2006
8:47 PM

Post #2112717

Susan,

Try www.whowhere.com You can search the yellow pages there. You can search for Nursery's or Greenhouses or Landscape Centers,,,anything you think someone might list their business under. There are other ones,,,that's just the one I usually use.

Kelly,,,whining and stomping foot,,,*I wanna see my Heucheras*
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2006
12:59 AM

Post #2113246

Stop your cry baby stuff it is not our fault you chose to live in the semi-tundra area.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 15, 2006
3:13 AM

Post #2113497

oz,
LOL it's good to see you again too,,,ROFLOL I know I chose to live here,,,doesn't mean I can't whine every once in awhile LOL
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2006
7:28 AM

Post #2118135

Does anyone grow Stoplight? Is it a carmel color this time of the year? I did buy one the nursery said it was the correct plant. I have been watching for it and was traveling in TN.
I hope it looks better later on.

Anyone interested in a Co-op of these plants? I would be.
Teresa
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2006
1:01 PM

Post #2118430

Yes bluegrass it is carmel colored until it gets warmer. Then it will turn yellow and red centered. I have both stop light and sun spot now. I bought sunspot yeasterday and it is carmel colored.
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2006
1:59 PM

Post #2118516

Hi Teresa..Maybe if we can talk Dori (NotMartha) into it we have the soure to get them for co op..I'm gonna send you a D-Mail...

Loretta...
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

March 17, 2006
2:10 PM

Post #2118541

Dori has a source to get them for a co-op?
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2006
2:55 PM

Post #2118639

Yes Dori has the source to get them we just gotta TALK her into it..!! :o)))

Loretta..
NoH2O
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2006
3:01 PM

Post #2118657

Teresa, I bought Stoplight last year. It was yellow and red and stayed that way through the fall. In winter it turned scrumptious shades of salmon pink and looked lovely until a few weeks ago. We had weeks of lows in the teens or lower and I think that is what put it over the edge. Now it is blah tan/brown but I am sure the new growth will be the correct color. I would buy it just for the winter coloring. It was so nice to see something pretty every day during the dreary winter months.

I would definitely be interested in participating in a co-op. :-)
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 17, 2006
4:32 PM

Post #2118821

I Still have to find out which one I have,,,won't be long now,,,springs almost here so I can get to the tag.
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2006
5:34 PM

Post #2118961

GG... Your lucky at least you still have your tag,mine got lost..

Loretta..
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2006
7:43 PM

Post #2119194

What is everyone looking for? I am a relative newbie to these. I have seen some very pretty pictures.

Dori, where are you?

I wish we could find suppliers that would ship directly to each buyer.
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2006
7:59 PM

Post #2119233

I think Dori's hiding from us..She has the source of getting 25 varieties..Come on Dori we need you..!! :o)))

Loretta...

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2006
8:21 PM

Post #2119271

d-mail her????
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

March 17, 2006
8:26 PM

Post #2119283

Yoo Hoo!!! Dori!!! Come out, Come out wherever you are!
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 18, 2006
3:24 AM

Post #2120257

Loretta,
I'm praying mine is still there,,,LOL That would really stink if I can't find it,,,grrrrrr LOL
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 18, 2006
7:08 PM

Post #2121308

I can't keep lurking anymore. Did someone say co-op? I would love to participate!

Marie
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

March 18, 2006
7:17 PM

Post #2121326

Marie,
Here is the Co-Op Forum. http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/groupbuy/all/ I already put my 2 cents in,,,LOL

Kelly
Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 1, 2007
8:55 PM

Post #3806501

Sanannie, your plants and images are beautiful! I would love to see a shot of your garden to see how you made the colorful Heucheras pop in your garden.
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2007
5:10 PM

Post #3809838

Wow, this is an old thread. Hi Christabelle and thanks. How many varieties do you grow? Do you have a favourite? I don't think I could pick just one, but all the newer ones I've purchased in the last few years are my favs. They keep improving them it seems.

You asked about pics of my heucheras in the garden... well I've got a fairly recent thread over on Hostas forum that shows quite a few heuchera in amongst the hosta if you want to take a gander, it's here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/751356/

Sandy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heucheras and Friends Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Any Heuchera Experts Out There, specifically deer-resistant JudithI 19 Feb 14, 2009 5:00 PM
New Member - wondering about Heucheras jazmine188 18 May 29, 2007 1:27 PM
Palace Purple Overexposed! (Warning...this is scary) Erynne 24 May 31, 2007 3:30 PM
Question about wintering over Heucheras BlueAsh 17 Mar 28, 2007 9:57 AM
Cinnabar Silver sanannie 8 Jul 18, 2007 12:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America