-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2006
9:08 PM

Post #2026932

I made this entrance arbor/arch out of things people were throwing away. The top is some ventilated shelving. And the filigris iron posts were taken off a carport my neighbor dismantled. They were black and chipped. I spray painted it all white and it looks great! I think my Rose Silk morning glories will be beautiful on it this summer. Whaddaya think?

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2006
9:27 PM

Post #2026955

Hey, you took those posts off my front porch. I was meaning to paint them. LOL
They are almost identical to my front porch posts that I would like to replace. Now I know what to do with them when I do!
Jan...
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2006
10:08 PM

Post #2027040

It's beautiful! Covered with Morning Glory's! How wonderful! What a great idea!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2006
10:47 PM

Post #2027107

This is the morning glory I have planned for it, Rose Silk, with variegated foliage. The blooms are about 5 or 6 inches in diameter! Isn't it scrumptious?

cjolene
Emporia, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2006
10:52 PM

Post #2027115

Looks great! What a lovely entrance! Are those morning glories the Japanese variety?
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2006
10:55 PM

Post #2027120

I have no idea, Cheryl. Everyone calls them Rose Silk. They may have a japanese origination. I haven't seen a Japanese name associated with them though.
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2006
11:05 PM

Post #2027135

do they also call them the chocolate one?.. Arbor is great..

Twyla

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2006
11:24 PM

Post #2027163

Great looking arbor. How did you seat it in the ground? Concrete?
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2006
12:51 AM

Post #2027364

The Chocolate ones don't have the white (picotee) edge. They're just solid pink. I kinda like the white rim framing the flower.

The posts already had concrete around them from when they had been in the ground at my neighbor's house. So we just dug holes and planted them. In our red clay, the ground gets as hard as a brick. The arbor has stood for about 7 months, thru high winds. So I think it will be safe. It's very sturdy and firm in the ground.

I rarely concrete anything because I change my mind with each new design. (anyone else do that??) So I like to be able to move something fairly easy when I get a "wild hair".
cjolene
Emporia, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2006
3:34 AM

Post #2027812

Someone who understands!!!! I drive Doug nuts because I have to sleep on every nail that goes in the wall (okay- I'm exaggerating a bit). I love being able to move things around as needed!

This is the first time I've heard someone speak of clay dirt as though it were a good thing- guess there's a silver lining in every cloud, eh?
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 7, 2006
5:13 AM

Post #2027967

Great arbor !!! You get an A...!!!!!

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2006
5:31 AM

Post #2027983

Super arbor. I am looking forward to seeing when the vines cover it.
Patti
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2006
9:30 AM

Post #2028067

Yes the Rose Silk is a Japanese MG. You should see the blue silk!

Thumbnail by budgielover

Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2006
9:39 AM

Post #2028068

Butterfly your MG is breathtaking! I'm really looking forward to seeing your arbor covered with this beauty.

Budgie do these MG's grow well for you in Pinellas Park? Do they grow year round in your environment or do you reseed every year? Full sun, part shade? I believe my zone is probably closer to 9b than 10a (just haven't fixed the boo boo yet) and I'd love to try growing these. So far it seems as if it gets too hot here because I haven't had much success with MG's.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2006 5:46 AM
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2006
9:50 AM

Post #2028071

I have pretty good luck with them. They do well from around March to Nov/Dec. and sometimes longer if we don't get a cold snap. Mine are not as prolific as others as I have been growing in containers which prohibit their growth. This year I will be trying some directly in the ground to see what difference it makes. I did convert an old aviary 8x16 ft to a sort of greenhouse but with no supplemental heat. Just warm enough to prevent frost/freeze kill for some of the more tropicals and young cuttings/seedlings. It currently has the old wood shingle roof which I will be removing and replacing with either shade cloth or opaque fiberglass panels. The plywood sides are slowly being replace with hardware cloth to allow vines to climb on the outside. During the winter, it will be easy to staple up thick plastic for protection from the cold. I did just start a few Blue Silk and have them out there now so I will see how they do.
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2006
11:01 AM

Post #2028122

Thank you Budgie. I just ebayed 'buy now" both the blue and rose silks and a chocolate. Keeping my fingers crossed for success to grow these :)
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2006
11:30 AM

Post #2028162

If you don't, I have blue silk I can trade.
Jan...
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2006
12:34 PM

Post #2028249

The Blue Silk is pretty. I think I have a few of those seeds to grow this year too.

I also have a very nice dark silky blue that I had intermingled with the Rose Silk a few years ago. It glows! It has variegated leaves, like Rose Silk, and has huge blooms that start out dark blue and fade to fuscia. I had a better picture of it somewhere, but here it is, windblown, twining around a moonflower datura plant. It didn't produce many seeds, so I'm hoping what I sow this year will do well. I love this one!

I think I'm on a "bright and bold" kick right now. All the colors I have chosen for my gardens are very bright. I need to find a place for pastels. Maybe in a back garden, to brighten things up a bit.

Thanks for the compliment on the arbor. I'd love to make more, so I'm waiting for someone else to throw something else out. LOL

Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2006
1:49 PM

Post #2028384

Thank you Jan.

Butterfly you make me miss my old Tennessee z7a. I could grow so many beautiful things there that I can't grow here.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2006
2:03 PM

Post #2028414

Ahhhhh, but you don't have to contend with a real cold winter. And you can grow all those tropicals I drool over! Wanna swap homes? I have zone envy.
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2006
2:07 PM

Post #2028422

Comparing plants I would trade for 7a any day. Comparing weather ... ain't no way girl! rofl! :)
Tradewind_64
Eden Prairie, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
1:09 PM

Post #2030489

ButterflyChaser -- what a great arbor! I love it, love it. I saw a pile of those curbside in Minneapolis and screeched to a halt, ran up to the house, and knocked (wanting to make sure I could take them). Nobody answered...so I left and am still regretting I didn't just load 'em up. I need to get more brave...I just am always a bit leary that I'd be stealin' 'em :-) I didn't know exactly what I'd make with them, but now that I've seen your arbor, if I ever find any more, I'll be sure and haul them home.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2006
2:25 PM

Post #2030626

I know what you mean, Tradewind, about feeling like a thief. A few years ago, my aunt and I saw a hacked down, dug up crape myrtle on the side of the road. I wanted it. And my aunt said, Stop and let's get it then. I thought maybe I should ask the owners but my aunt said they put out for garbage pickup.

It weighed a ton, still being wrap in clay mud. And it was huge!! Just what was there was as tall as I am! We managed heave it into the van and just barely get the door shut.

Once at home, I planted it. It was a very mature specimen, many years old. When my uncle heard the story of how I got it, he claimed I stole it, that the people may have moved it out to where they wanted to replant it. I hadn't thought of that! We couldn't take it back because my aunt and I couldn't even remember the street we picked it up from.

My uncle said it didn't matter because a tree that size can't be transplanted anyway and it's just going to die. (He's always such a sour puss!) But does this look dead to you? You should see the beautiful dark pink blooms!

Luluguid
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2006
6:35 PM

Post #2030986

I wouldn't worry about stealing. My mom is always picking up great things on the curb. If it is on the curb it is fair game.

I do have to admit that when I am with her picking up something I get a little embarressed but I never complain in having it!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2006
7:13 PM

Post #2086385

Why don't any of you live close to me???

I thought I was the only one who kept an eye on the trash, and it's
not because I'm cheap, but creative.

I only WISH I had someone to go dumpster diving with, or at least
someone willing to go with me to Tulsa on trash days. Those folks
in Tulsa throw EVERYTHING away.

Up the road, there is a house set to be demolished with the same type
of porch supports. I am hoping, hoping, hoping hubby convinces his boss to
let me have them instead of sending them to the landfill.

Jadwin59
Rochester, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2006
9:35 PM

Post #2091474

Lots of good socializing goes on in our neighborhood over "curbed" stuff. Once it's on the curb, it's fair game, but always polite to ask if the thing seems valuable. I've rung many a doorbell and made many a friend in the process of swapping stuff.

Have you fellow dumpster divers and salvage lovers heard of the freecycle internet groups?

These are internet-based groups, each with a local focus, that connect people who are throwing things out with people who love salvaging. I bet there's one in Tulsa, for example. Try googling freecycle and the name of your area.

Lisa
(we are a long way from morning glories here in zone 6 even if it IS sunny outside)
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2007
5:21 PM

Post #4005248

Wuvie...We need to get together..I know I would love to go dumpster diving. think I need to get a job tending the dumpster. Only problem with that..I'm afraid My space would be invaded in a very short time with so much TtoTstuff..oh well, I'll keep dreaming.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2007
12:39 PM

Post #4011136

We have a free classified online ad here, Craigslist. There is a "free" category and I have seen a number of things listed there. I also ran my own ad saying I would thin and divide perennials. I got SEVERAL big boxes of flowers that way and could have had MANY more if I had wanted LOTS of iris!!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2008
4:20 PM

Post #4993066

ButterflyChaser, love your arbour and also love the morning glorys, (every one of them) Did you get them as plants or seeds? And where might I find them. I haven't seen them in garden shops around here.
Faye
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2009
5:43 AM

Post #7046629

I think it is about time someone posts again on this thread. I loved the trellis and I too have purple and pink morning glories. And did I see a greenhouse on one of these pics? Would like to know more. I scored 17 free 3 by 3 windows on freecycle here in Kingman which I stared six years ago and we now have 1,000 members. We are going to make a greenhouse. I also got some doors and shutters, maybe even a pair of french doors from a friend. So I am hoping we can put it together, It will be 9 by 9 feet with 3 sides of windows and one wall solid for north cold winds. But where I am putting it has lots of morning glories going wild and I may just let them take over they would look nice around something like this wouldn't they?

Thumbnail by curvesarein

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2009
10:30 AM

Post #7046812

Your greenhouse is WONDERFUL! Truly beautiful and will be stunning when the Morning Glories do their thing on it!
trickiwoo
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #7076199

Love your arbor! Would love to see it with MG on it.

Judy
maiglocke
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7476640

I never find anything in the trash that I could use; get lots of ideas from all of you though. Hate to go out and buy new material when I should be finding it at the road side.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2010
11:40 PM

Post #7477306

Maiglocke, just keep looking. Watch what friends and family want to throw out. The posts for the arbor I made above were going in my neighbor's dumpster. I rescued them and he looked at me like I was nuts. LOL The top was a piece of ventilated shelving my sister threw out. Sometimes things don't come together right away. I have to "stockpile". (That's actually how I built my house--I stockpiled lumber for a couple of years until we had enough to start it. I worked in construction and my boss made me burn all the lumber leftover on the job sites. I bought a truck and hauled all the lumber home instead and built a house.)

My latest project is creating patios from some old concrete a business broke up and ripped out. My brother had the concrete hauled here to line our ditch for weed control. But many of the pieces are perfect 6 x 6 ft or 4 x 4 ft squares! Don't you know I sweet-talked him out of them? So my next dilemma was how to move them. My dear, sweet brother said, "I'll borrow Eric's bobcat and we'll help you place them." So now I'm just waiting on spring so I can dig out plants here and there to put the concrete blocks. The pieces that are too broken will be used too. I plan to stain them and make them look like flagstone.

Here's a picture of my concrete treasure. The guy hauled in a couple more dumptruck loads after I took this picture. I think there's enough to do all the patios thru my gardens. Of course, anyone who drives by here questions our sanity in allowing all this concrete to be dumped here. Just wait til they see the finished product!

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2010
1:23 AM

Post #7477674

ButterflyChaser, you are amazing. Looking forward to seeing before, during and after pics. of your stone work.
Faye

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2010
2:15 AM

Post #7477831

The "flagstone" idea is wonderful. It's the only way I'll ever get the walk way I want! LOL
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2010
12:50 AM

Post #7549255

Great arbor! I also love the Morning Glories! I agree anything curbside is free game, but if I have a question, I don't hesitate to go up and knock on a door just to confirm. I like to be safe. We have found some great deals that way!

We also know that if we put it to the curb that in this neighborhood someone will take it!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2010
2:09 AM

Post #7549466

ooooh----Butterflychaser, those are some NICE pieces of concrete!
Here's what I did with my broken up sidewalk (along with those of my neighbors, people from the next town over, Craigslist and Freecycle...LOL!) I have these raised beds made of concrete chunks all around my back yard with gravel paths between them.

Thumbnail by imapigeon

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #7550466

Pigeon, what a beautiful garden!! I love how you used broken sidewalks. What a great idea! I want a raised bed or two--one for strawberries. I might follow your example. I just love your succulent garden!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7551130

Thank you---20 years in the head; only 3 in the ground...LOL!
Succulents do well here when a lot of other things fade in the summer, and I love their interesting forms and textures. I'm always looking in neighbors' gardens for individual plants that have handled our temperature extremes well (occasional 18 to occasional 112.)
I've tried growing strawberries, and they're a great commercial crop here, but we have so many snails and slugs and sowbugs and earwigs that thrive here---despite Super Sluggo---that they and the birds ended up with all the fruit. I decided it would be more cost-effective to support my local farmer's market, especially since my DH makes strawberry daquiris that take a pint each!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7556270

This is a freinds recycled concrete wall,its been there for ten years .I like the idea of staining it ,great luck

Thumbnail by huggergirl

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7556422

Nice---looks a lot like expensive bluestone, doesn't it?
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #7556566

That's pretty cool!
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7558928

My pond edge- made of salvaged sandstone sidewalk. It was pulled up to prepare for a streetscaping project by the city.
My husband & I asked if we could have some of it and the project manager told us to just take what we wanted. I wanted it all but my husband (after loading our 2-wheeled trailer full in 90 degree heat) said we had enough.
They SOLD the rest to a landscaper the next day.
We ended up with just one small piece left over.
The moral of this story is "It never hurts to ask"- What is the worst thing that could happen? If they say no, just say thanks anyway!
The difference between dumpster diving and treasure hunting is in the eye of the beholder- Right?

Thumbnail by mwhit

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7558947

That looks fantastic! I've never quite figured out what I really want to do with the edges of my ponds...what's under it? Do you have a fiberglass liner or a flexible one?
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7559059

Oh, that looks great, mwhit!! What a wonderful place to sit and enjoy. Do you have fish in it?
SobeGardener
Miami Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 15, 2010
12:09 AM

Post #7559435

mwhit.
"The difference between dumpster diving and treasure hunting is in the eye of the beholder- Right?"
You are right...in this case you got the perfect eye..that is a beautiful place to be and enjoy.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2010 1:25 PM
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2010
12:19 AM

Post #7559459

So many good ideas. I particularly love the wall and the pond.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #7560311

great pond,recycled material even better,absolutly all they can do is say no!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #7562056

That pond area is drop dead gorgeous! I have SERIOUS envy going on!
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
1:09 AM

Post #7565303

Thanks for the nice words!
It is a free form pond,about 12X12 feet (36"deep) with a flexible rubber liner. We have a few koi who started out about 4-6" long but are now 12-15" and a bunch of shubunkin & goldfish.
Ponds are certainly not work-free but they are worth it-I love having it.
Right now I am struggling to keep a hole in the ice and hoping my dormant fishees are sleeping at the bottom and waiting for spring!!
MW

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #7565907

In addition to the pond being gorgeous, your Japanese maple is to die for...
Since I saw your photo, I'm back to trying to think of creative ways to finish off my pond edges!
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2010
1:01 AM

Post #7567971

The japanese maple was a gift about 10 years ago. We originally planted it in full sun and mulched the base with white marble chips. It started out looking good but even though we saw no real evidence of pests or disease we steadily lost branches until it had only two scraggley limbs left. Desperate times call for desperate measures so we dug it up (NOT easy!!) after digging out the marble chips (also not easy) and moved it into semi-shade with natural wood chip mulch.
When I decided I wanted a pond I chose that location because it was near electricity for the pump and water from the hose-hate to admit I never gave the (still pretty sickly looking) JMaple a thought.
Although the tree overhanging the pond doesn't really adhere to the usual advice about avoiding having leaves drop into the water it does look pretty now that the tree has recovered so well. I just keep the net handy and crab about having to scoop!
Another little gardening miracle!! MW
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
1:04 AM

Post #7567976

I know what you mean about the leaves----I have trees hanging over my ponds, too. Makes pruning one side of the apple a challenge...but the fish love it when the fruit falls into the pond!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7946397

I purposely put my pond under an oak tree. It gets morning shade and afternoon sun. So far its been in a year and the koi haven't cooked yet. I also keep net scoop handy but its only once a year they shed a lot and my pond skimmer catches most of them. Yes a pond is work but I so enjoy mine. I dug it a year ago and used a EPDM fish grade free form liner. Everything I bought came from Craigslist. Liner, 36" waterfall, 5000 GPH pump for $250. 2 ton of TN. field stone $350. In Fl. stone is VERY expensive so I was lucky to get all of these items used for only 1 year. I need more stone to hide liner and have learned clear silicone will hold 2 and 3" river rock to liner through much research. They look great interspersed with large rocks stacked up sides. Also, need to do more plantings around it. I have come to the conclusion a garden or any landscapaing is a work in progress for a lone time. I love a challenge as many of you here evidentally do. mwhit your pond looks simply beautiful. Effort results in accomplishment.
sherryberry1942
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2010
12:58 AM

Post #8077684

I've been looking for supports like these ever since I saw this thread. I think I have found them. The woman who owns the building where I saw them had already promised them to a handyman but only for him to sell for scrap. She's going to ask him if he will allow me to have them instead - I'll gladly give him the price he would get. They're rusty but will clean up as nicely as these, I'm sure. Now all I have to do is find a top! Can't wait to get them and get them painted...yellow!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #8077772

I hope you get them, Sherry. They need to be preserved and treasured and you're just the gal to do it.

Do you know of a restaurant or bar that might be tossing out a huge wine glass rack? That would make a good top for your arbor. A friend gave me one that I'm going to put over a couple of other wrought iron supports I scavenged from somewhere.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #8077998

I think you are right, the guy just wants to salavage money so getting it from you instead should make him just as happy. I can't wait to see them Sherry!
sherryberry1942
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #8080867

I think I've changed my mind about how I'm going to use them... I don't have any trees in my yard for birdfeeders...I'm going to concrete the supports in the ground - random placement, I think, and screw plant hanger thingys to them for bird feeders, instead of making an arbor...I think...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM
Gazing Balls???? Eufaula 40 Feb 6, 2008 4:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America