Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Great Article in HobbyFarms 3/06 Endangered Chickens

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 25, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2006
3:44 PM

Post #2035089

Sue Weaver just wrote one of the funniest and most uplifting articles on chickens I have ever read.
These stories make us want to run right out and get us some good old fashioned yummy
chickens.
Every breed is discussed in loving detail and even though there may be only 20 left in the
world, her article is full of hope and ideas.

I thought I would do Buff Orpingtons this year, but I have changed my mind and plan on
doing the Heritage breeding and raising. It will be worth it.
Please see the Jersey giants ...I had to leave the table I was laughing so hard.

I wrote a letter to the magazine and to Sue Weaver, my first ever about the well written
story. It goes from "skipping chickens" to "roars like a dinosaur". Really!
Regards,
sheri
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2006
4:37 PM

Post #2035218

Link? What magazine? Help! I want to read it!
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2006
4:40 PM

Post #2035225

OH, the magazine is Hobby Farms! Sorry. I'm a dummy...
WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2006
8:13 PM

Post #2035647

If anyone needs the article, send me a sase and I will be happy to have
my DH copy it and we can mail it out to ya!
sheri
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2006
1:29 AM

Post #2036450

Roars like a dinosaur, that would be the Buckeye. One of the reasons i am getting them, my boys will get a kick out of that!

Here is a link to the American livestock Breeds Conservancy, where you can see breeds which are in danger. Buckeyes are on the Critical list.[twenty total there] Jersey Giants are on the Watch list [ten there]. They don't have a link for the Jersey Giants, i wonder if anyone has a link to info for them?

http://albc-usa.org/wtchlist.htm#chickens

i am ordering buckeyes for March hatching. anyone who wants some later on let me know. we can meet in Amarillo. i have to order 100, and won't need that many roaring roosters!!!

tf

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2006
5:05 PM

Post #2037701

Wow - I have one "threatened" - Ancona and one "watch" - black cochin. And one on
the recovered list - Australorp and one on the "study" list - Auracona. I love cochin's - I've
had bantum cochins for almost 8yrs. The auracona seem to have the most personality.

I don't have anything but hens in these breeds. (Except for the bantum cochins - 2 roosters).
Tam

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2006
12:28 AM

Post #2038606

Here's a picture of the Ancona, Australorp & Araucona today. Aren't they cute?

Thumbnail by Tammy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2006
11:31 PM

Post #2041056

I love that picture! first, i noticed the b/w one in front, mostly black. she is very sweet.
than i looked at the b/w on the left busy picking at something. She is pretty too.
Then my eye went to the red one, she is very curious!
what sweet chickens!

TamaraFaye: I think Amirillo is out of my driving range currently. LOLOL.
Hopefully you will find some chicken people by you. Do you belong or
do stuff for a chicken oriented group for local 4-H? Here it is so strong!

My girlfriend Kay bought a 4-H chicken at the Ionia Free Fair for $100. She said
she ate that chicken down to the nibs. LOLOL

I will see if sue weaver has a web site for that article.

http://www.albc-usa.org/wtch-list.htm

http://www.nehbc.org

http://www.slowfoodfoundation.com

http://www.slowfoodusa.org/ark/index.html

http://www.dominiquechickens.org

http://www.the-coop.org/rockclub/rock1.html

http://www.crohio.com/wyan/www.feathersite.com/Poultry/SPPA/SPPA.html

gee, I hope I got all the spellings correct. If any problem, let me know.

regards,
sheri
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2006
6:09 PM

Post #2068252

I was thinking it quite appropriate that I would be interested in a chicken breed called Buckeyes since I live in Ohio. LOL I just went and skimmed the article quickly to find out that is where they came from. My kids are eager to drag me outside. Did I miss where you can buy those?
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2006
9:01 PM

Post #2068637

So Buckeyes are not all that old a breed, but a recent combination of different countries' breeds? Since they're hard to find, you might have to order straight run or pay out the wazoo.

Me, I want Welsh Harlequin ducks. Snail control!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2006
4:23 AM

Post #2069710

Zeppy, what??? well, i guess compared to some, over a hundered years doesn't SEEM old. But it's old enough, endangered enough, useful enough for me LOL

i ordered mine from http://www.xtremegamebirds.com
i hope i got that link right LOL.

i can't wait, my kids are gonna love those roosters! and i want my coop to stay mouse free!!!

Badseed, i mentioned some other Buckeye attributes in another thread here somehwere...

tf
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2006
11:13 AM

Post #2069983

Thanks! I just looked. The price on the Buckeyes really isn't much worse than other breeds I have looked up and their shipping is a bit lower. I know I need to do more reading before I buy.
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2006
11:19 AM

Post #2069985

No, I just had this impression that buckeyes came from way, way back, like the Dorking or Dominique. Not sure why. I think it's b/c they're so rare. I thought they looked like those rose-comb RI Reds but didn't know they were developed from them. Another thing I didn't know was how old the Jersey Giant breed is.

Re xtremegamebirds: Cool site, and nice to know they won't travel far. I wish I had a good hatchery in my state. I wouldn't mind a Sumatra or two.

Hello, my name is Zeppy, and I'm a poultry geek...

This message was edited Feb 25, 2006 12:49 PM
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2006
11:33 AM

Post #2069999

LOL A poultry geek??? Need a bumber sticker that says "I brake for chickens!"? LOL
WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2006
8:03 PM

Post #2071008

How about "chickens do it with little peck-ers" ????? LOLOL
rof
sheri
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2006
9:05 PM

Post #2071179

yes, just what we needed, another addiction, LOL

just so you know that hatchery ships all over the country. it was funny, wen i ordered my guineas last year, they shipped to Utah and New Jersey the same day, and those arrived in one day, mine took TWO. hey TX is a BIG state ;-)

Zeppy, i wish you would re-read that, because the Buckeyes were not descended from the RIRs. she just called them that for a while hoping it would help them catch on. when it didn't, she entered them in the fair at Cleveland, and called them Buckeyes. that name stuck. i just re-read it, and it is confusing, cause it says they share some "history". perhaps they share ancestors. i will look up the heritage of the RIR, i am curious now...

swilliams, down tot he nibs, that is too funny! btw, your link didn't work, so here it is again... http://www.albc-usa.org/wtchlist.htm

They are pea combed, and have other traits similar to the RIR. Here is their heritage:

" Mrs. Metcalf started by breeding a Buff Cochin male to Barred Plymouth Rock females. This produced what she considered a large, lazy fowl. The next year she purchased a Black-Breasted Red Game male and crossed this male over the half cochin pullets. This cross produced several red offspring and from there she developed the breed. It is interesting to note that her creation predated the introduction of Rhode Island Reds into the mid-west."
"Buckeyes also have a personality all their own. They are a very active fowl and are noted for being especially vigilant in the pursuit of mice, some breeders comparing them to cats in regard to this ability. They tend to have very little fear of humans and are possibly too friendly. In fact, some males may show a little aggression during breeding season. They also seem to lack the tendency to feather-pick each other (this is a trait worthy of further exploration). The males emit a full range of sounds beyond those typical of many other chicken breeds, including a dinosaur-like roar!"

since they don't like confined areas, and i am letting them free range, i htink they will work out fine. i ordered 50, plus 25 RC Brown leghorn pullets. we will have brown chicks everywhere LOL. glad my guineas are lavendar ;-)

tf
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2006
9:11 PM

Post #2071202

Zeppy, i do love that color on the sumatra!!! and the pretty little body.

Wow, i had no idea how old the Dorking and Dominiques were at all!!! i should read more LOL

it iddn't give much breed history on the RIR, except mentioning Malay where their dark color came from...

but i will look at some other links...

tf
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2006
9:14 PM

Post #2071210

swilliams~

well, phoeey, your crohio link didn't work either, looked like it had feathersite on the end?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2006
9:21 PM

Post #2071226

sheri, here ar the other fixes on the links [hope they work]

http://www.crohio.com/wyan/

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/SPPA/SPPA.html

gee, maybe it's time i got a book about poultry, but which one? i did subscribe to Backyard Poultry, was gonna rate it at the Bookworm the other day, but server was down. i'll have to get back on that... it was full of good info!

tf

Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2006
10:51 PM

Post #2071439

I got the pea-comb RIR info from Feathersite. Didn't look at the ALBC one... innerestin.

Mostly I've been reading books about European poultry, since it's the sort of thing titled Brits were writing for a while...
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2006
2:38 AM

Post #2071870

cool!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2006
11:57 AM

Post #2074669

I know I don't post too awful much but I really enjoy you guys sharing all the info. I do pop in and read and check the links. :)
WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2006
11:52 PM

Post #2089328

Tamara!! Thank you so much for fixing my links. I wonder why they don't work when I
type them in as exactly they are posted in the article?

did anyone read BadSeeds posting about a run down chicken coop? Poor dear.
Someone mentioned if anyone had seen Martha Stewarts chicken coops...
well, I actually wrote her a letter about the coops, and by gosh, noone ever answered!
I was wondering about how they were made and the runs maintained (by an
executive group of chicken cleaners no doubt). To me it looked as if the
runs were done in a tan/white smooth pebble. Very chic-k. Pun. sorry.

I am trying to get my sister up here from sarasota florida to help me build
some chicken houses and runs. She understands me.

Be Bwaaack Later!
sheri
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2006
2:46 AM

Post #2089956

oh, if only i could recruit my sister, but she is rebuilding her RITA-HIT home. maybe when she runs out of money and energy she will come for a visit and i can put her to work LOL

;-)
tf
WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2006
7:13 PM

Post #2091180

I hope noone minds, Dave and Terry and I changed my user name to WigglyPaw which is our
Farms name. I am still sheri!
Regards to all
sher
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2006
7:31 PM

Post #2091229

how cute, & original! i love it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America