Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Invasive Plants: Sawtooth oak

Communities > Forums > Invasive Plants
bookmark
Forum: Invasive PlantsReplies: 7, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
escambiaguy
Atmore, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2006
6:24 PM

Post #2035428

Is sawtooth oak on any invasive list yet? It is commonly planted for some reason.
Equilibrium

February 10, 2006
6:39 PM

Post #2035462

Being formally identified and listed as an invasive species by the Government or State isn't truly a reliable indicator of invasiveness although it certainly does help.

In answer to your question, Sawtooth Oak is appering on some lists as invasive. I live in Illinois and local groups have been referring to this Asian Oak as invasive for a while based on its ability to escape cultivation. You can look it up under its Latin name of Quercus acutissima.

Here's a little blurb on some of the concerns-
http://www.dc.sierraclub.org/articles/nativetrees.htm

Currently, more research is needed-
http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/Publications.htm?seq_no_115=143169&pf=1
escambiaguy
Atmore, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2006
5:29 AM

Post #2036934

Hunters like to plant them around here because of the early acorns. They are ugly trees to me.
Equilibrium

February 11, 2006
5:33 AM

Post #2036937

Yes, they fruit considerably earlier. This just came up in another thread where we were trying to guess the tree. The Sawtooth Oaks around me are fruiting by 10 years of age if not earlier.
escambiaguy
Atmore, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2006
5:03 PM

Post #2858997

There is a new nursery that opened in my town about three weeks ago and it really looked nice. I went yesterday to look around, and naturally I went straight to the tree section. The only oaks they had were a few Shumards and about ten Sawtooths. I was so angered, that I felt like saying something to the owner but figured it wouldn't do any good.

How does one go about voicing their opinions to the state to try to get a plant put on the "do not sell" list?
GizzsMom
El Dorado, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2006
2:29 PM

Post #3030632

I have 40 acres more or less which was pasture until 1975. There are a few assorted oaks as well as sweet gums, eastern red cedars, beeches and bald cypress. The pines are improved loblolly which I planted. The young oaks that I have here aren't numerous and since all of the land adjoining mine has been basically clear cut I planted some of the gobbler saw tooth oaks. Yes, I learned here that they can be invasive. My opinion is that their ability to produce acorns at an early age as well as hold their leaves throughout the winter seems a great plus. While I don't hunt I do enjoy my own slice of xanado which is a wildlife haven for deer, wild turkey, squirrels and birds of all sorts. Just one lady's opinion.
Lucky_P
Hopkinsville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2006
3:57 AM

Post #3032621

Yes, they bear heavily, and at a young age, but in my experience, their acorns are not as well-liked by game animals as are those of the native white & red oak species. I guess if the deer & turkeys ate every acorn, without the squirrels carrying them off and 'planting' them, then they'd not be a problem so far as invading and displacing natives, but I've seen deer pass sawtooths, with the ground literally coverd with sawtooth acorns to root through the leaves for those bitter little Q.nigra & Q.falcata acorns.

I think hunters and wildlife enthusiasts overlook the native oaks sometimes because of outdated information on how long they require to come into bearing - I have bur oak seedlings and a few bur oak hybrids(burXwhite, burXswamp white, etc.) that started producing acorns at 7-10 years of age - with no fertilization.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2006
7:15 PM

Post #3034008

Forrest Keeling Nursery in Elsberry MO developed a precocious strain of Quercus bicolor that were bearing acorns in their nursery as 2" caliper trees. With their RPM production techniques, these probably are no older (and maybe younger) than the trees Lucky describes.

Metro Parks bought 20 in 1998 and these are zipping right along as street trees along parkways in Louisville KY.

There are plenty of marcescent native trees (swamp white oak, shingle oak, scarlet oak, beech, sugar maple, Ozark witch hazel, etc. all hold leaves till spring). Wildlife existed on what was growing in their native haunts, too. I vote to keep the mix diverse and use more of the underserved species that get clearcut or dozed out, so that there are some left to fend for themselves.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Invasive Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. dodecatheon 79 Mar 2, 2008 2:12 AM
Ampelopsis brevipedunculata 'Elegans' Invasive. snapple45 19 Dec 10, 2008 2:12 AM
Nutsedge, sedge, etc. - questions & comment Dea 20 Nov 12, 2009 2:32 AM
Wild onions. escambiaguy 19 May 6, 2009 8:05 PM
Wisteria judycooksey 97 Jun 8, 2007 5:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America