-
AuthorContent
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2006
11:55 AM

Post #2037078

I'm fairly new to growing trees and shrubs from seed ...only about 3 years now.

I am happy to report the following shrub/trees are sprouting:

red osier dogwood
native dogwood
buttonbush
smoke tree
amur maple
styrax americana
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2006
12:01 PM

Post #2037084

Way to go!!! How many of each did you sow?
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2006
12:10 PM

Post #2037099

apx 36-72 or more for some that I harvest seeds from my trees and shrubs.

P
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2006
12:11 PM

Post #2037100

wow - where are you going to plant them?
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2006
12:35 PM

Post #2037155

oh...and I forgot...my parsely hawthorne is sprouting.

I was going to use them for city woodland walk project but city beautification committee put the project on the back burner in favor of gouging old downtown's merchants for more money for flags they(committee)ordered...but that's a whole 'nother rant and needless to say...I will withdraw any assistance I offered for woodland walk...whoops...I'm ranting...LOL

P
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2006
7:01 PM

Post #2040519

wow, thanks for sharing about your germintaion. :)

Susan
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2006
11:26 AM

Post #2041851

I've learned over the few years of growing shrubs and trees not to try to skip any of the pre-chilling,stratifications or any steps for germination so I have frig full of seeds in vermucilte in baggies and a boxfull above my light bench for the ones that need a warm spell first,w/ all info writen on the baggies as to when they went in when they need to be switched to warm strat and when to be planted out. I have some success with winter sewing outdoors but some of the seeds are purchased and not cheaply so I don't want anything happening to them.

It's been a super cold weekend so I haven't been to the no.two greenhouse to check on anything since last Thursday. I'm hoping to see more up this week as we are suppose to warm back up.

P
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2006
11:51 AM

Post #2041879

Good for you, Red.

And sic 'em! Hold that committee's feet to the fire.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2006
12:34 PM

Post #2041948

zeppy,
When and if they decide to go forward with woodland walk plans...they'll have to do a whole lot of wooing to get me back on board. They yammered at me(the chamber of commerce) about this project for two years and now the beautification committee tables it ..Argh! This passed year I have harvested seeds from my natives, traded for plants and seeds for other natives and even bought others I couldn't find for trade. More money out of pocket for supplies to grow plus the time I put into it. I am not a happy camper.

I was already ticked off about the small woodland walk I did out at the city park for the senior citizen center 3-4 yrs that they let the people working off fines and sentences in community service come in and level to the ground...even though all plants were labeled and/or yellow flagged so they'd know what not to hack down and they did it anyway. Not to mention the sprinkler company that went thru beds I put in desposing of half of the perennial natives I installed...what they did with the plants,I do not know...threw away or are now gracing their beds...they just weren't there after they got done.

P
missgarney
Cullowhee, NC
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2006
2:46 PM

Post #2042202

People in committees often do the wrong thing.

As they say, "None of us is as dumb as all of us."
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2006
2:48 PM

Post #2042206

Ugh. Pearls before swine. I'm sorry to hear that, Red. I can see why you wouldn't want to work with them again.
missgarney
Cullowhee, NC
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2006
2:57 PM

Post #2042225

Since we're talking about mismanagement of public space: on our country road, the county has inmates walk along and pick up trash and put it into bright orange plastic bags. Then (and this has happened regularly since we moved to this house 2 years ago), the big mower comes by and mows the bags of trash, spewing chopped trash and orange plastic everywhere. It's the most idiotic thing ever!
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2006
10:30 PM

Post #2042993

here's your sign...
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2006
11:08 AM

Post #2043996

missg,
oooooo,don't get me started on guv'mint mismanagement...especially in a small town!

I gave the chamber about $600.00 worth of trees and shrubs a couple years ago for city beautifiaction program and I think I've seen a half dz. planted since. Small town so you don't have a huge downtown area to drive around and look so it makes me wonder were the others went.

Anita...LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

My neighbor across the street manages the other end of the city park and takes excellent care of the walking paths in his area so I told him my garden club would come out and do a section or two in native woodland plants...and if he doesn't give it TLC...wellll...let's just say,I know where he lives...LOL

P
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2006
11:43 AM

Post #2044029

Sounds like you have a Garden Mafia...

I can imagine how frustrating it is with all the 'red tape'. You begin to wonder the motives of 'doing good' in today's political arena. I wish I had more time on my hand, because as frustrating as it might be for you, I bet that the rewards out weigh them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America