Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doghouse
Paducah, KY

February 11, 2006
1:39 PM

Post #2037263

I have a question about a problem that has plagued me since 13 or so...a looonnngggg time, anyway. I have deep set eyes. When I use mascara, my lashes lay against my skin, top and bottom. Within hours, I have a perfect circle around my eyes. I have tried smudge-water-any kind of proof you can think of. I watch the eye creams, and clear is out of the question, as my lashes are light. No mascara is out of the question, because it opens the eye area, and I really need that. Can any of you beauty mavens help? I appreciate your insight!
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2006
8:01 PM

Post #2038053

Bless your little racoon heart! lol! Maybe kanita will pop in and help. She's a professional makeup artist. :) ... v
doghouse
Paducah, KY

February 12, 2006
1:25 PM

Post #2039640

I hope so! Any advice is appreciated at this point.
DanceyTx
Midway, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2006
1:48 PM

Post #2042088

I have had a little problem with that too. Especially with the top lashes. I have to make sure my eyelid and upper part has no cream/oil on it. My skin has become so dry that I don't have as much trouble with that now. But, I always had to use a dry/matte eye shadow so the mascara wouldn't get on my skin. You can lightly brush a neutral tone under the lower lashes too to see if that would work.

Lin
doghouse
Paducah, KY

February 13, 2006
5:53 PM

Post #2042538

Thanks for the tip. Will certainly try the neutral shadow tip and see if it helps.
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2006
9:22 PM

Post #2042869

That is good advice Lin.
I wonder if Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil would help too. It absorbs oils soooo good and last all day. My eyes are incredibly sensitive to natural face oil, most mascaras, eye creams, lotions and eye shadows but the mineral veil doesn't seem to bother them.
If Lin's suggestion doesn't work doghouse you might consider Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil. It would probably be a little expensive to experiment with and it might fail ... but it might work. :) ... v
doghouse
Paducah, KY

February 14, 2006
10:46 AM

Post #2043985

I have the Bare Escentuals line. And I love it. But eventually the "racoons" show up. Has any one ever tried a gel mascara? IS there such a thing?
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2006
10:58 AM

Post #2043995

Did you try using the BE bisque concealer in your eye area too?
I use Loreal Full Definition Voluminous mascara and it stays on real good but my lashes don't lay on my skin like yours do so it probably won't work. hmmmm ... Gosh you must be so frustrated.
I'll do a search and see if there is such a thing as a gel mascara but it seems to me that it might be even worse. If waterproofs don't work then ... whew! You are a real problem! ... hahahee!
I wish kanita would visit. I just know she would be the one with the most knowledge ... v
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2006
11:14 AM

Post #2043999

I hope this link works. I didn't know that most mascaras are oil based. Oil in the mascara added to natural face oils seems like the perfect combo for smearing in your case. I wonder if this is something that would help you?
If the link doesn't work you go to Sephora.com and search for Blinc mascara.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P46017&searchString=mascara%20not%20oil%20or%20water%20based%2Fnavbar.jhtml&x=6&y=23

This is a gel and the price is much better than the Blinc.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P74516&categoryId=B70

This message was edited Feb 14, 2006 7:31 AM
doghouse
Paducah, KY

February 15, 2006
12:25 PM

Post #2046007

Thank you for the link. I went to the site and ordered a catalogue. I have high hopes for a solution now. We don't have a large makeup selection in the town where I live, (Estee Lauder, Clinique) and I have been reluctant to try anything that nobody knew anything about. I will get my catalogue and let you ladies know what happens. I appreciate all your help. I am thrilled about this forum. I hope it really takes off!
JRush
Guilford, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2006
1:41 AM

Post #2047719

I have the same problem - I have gone through so many mascara brands! I use waterproof ONLY, & have found that Avon's is one of the best. Don't believe the salesperson when they tell you that their "water resistant" or "smudge proof" mascara won't run - they do. Shu Uemura & Clinique are also supposed to be good. With the waterproof mascaras, you will have to use a makeup remover - one that is designed for mascara removal. They have an oily base to dissolve the mascara. Before you apply mascara, remember to wash off any traces of the remover with soap, so there is no oily residue on your lashes. It will mix with the mascara - making it RUN! I found that powder below my eyelashes just made me look tired & enhanced the crow's feet. (BOO HISS)
Hope this helps
Julie
doghouse
Paducah, KY

February 16, 2006
12:16 PM

Post #2048323

Thanks Julie. I may pick up some Clinique today. I don't have an Avon lady, but I just bet I could find one. LOL!! I actually use Bi-Facil by Lancome to remove mascara. That stuff would take off road tar, and rinses easily from your lashes. I also blot my lashes after with a little witch hazel, which helps with the residue.
JRush
Guilford, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2006
10:51 PM

Post #2052208

I picked up the mascara on eBay for about $2.75 including shipping & handling, which is cheaper than the Avon catalog. I bet you can find good deals there still -
doghouse
Paducah, KY

February 18, 2006
12:28 PM

Post #2053090

I will have to browse E-bay to day JRush. It will be a good day, seeing as how we have 3 inches of snow, and 3-5 more before noon!
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 19, 2006
10:13 PM

Post #2056607

I'm no expert, but browsing through this it struck me as the problem was, that the lashes lay flat. So maybe you need to curl your eyelashes first, with an eyelash curler? You put the pads as close as possible to the base of your lashes and use pumping action, oh dear! kanita please help with directions!
doghouse
Paducah, KY

February 20, 2006
9:35 AM

Post #2057603

Thanks Prairie Girl. The curler won't work for me. my eyes are sooo deep set that the curler only works for an hour or so. Then they are pushed flat again by my top lids. *sigh* I wonder how oriental ladies cope?
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

February 20, 2006
9:03 PM

Post #2058909

Your eyelashes are pushed flat by your eyelids?! You've got to mean the lower lashes. Maybe the secret to less smudging would be to apply a little rice powder with a fat blush brush and then apply 2-3 thin coats of brown mascara, waiting 1-2 minutes between each coat to dry. Try applying the mascara by holding the wand vertically rather than horizontally (straight up and down rather than sideways). Maybe if you went to your local mall, the larger chains have makeup counters where they do consultations, they can show you these techniques and more. Or try false eyelashes, they are better than ever and easy to apply once you get the hang of it, so I am told. Good luck!
mikfur2
Lawrenceville, GA

April 7, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #4770739

neutrogena has a gel mascara that is just great,its cheaper then the others and really works, i have used it before.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2008 6:56 AM
robcher
Aurora, CO

January 14, 2009
6:15 AM

Post #6003604

My dear, i think your problem is simply oily residue. Make sure you cleanse thoroughly, eyes and all, to remove the Witchhazel and oily makeup remover after taking off eyemakeup. If you are applying mascara even the next morning after using the Witchazel, your lashes and surrounding skin will still have the oily residue that is making your mascara come off. Even if you are putting your foundation on first, that oil is going to come back to the surface of your makeup and give you racoon circles when mixing w/ your mascara.

Just cleanse with a foamy or frothy cleanser to remove oily buildup from eye makeup removers.

Good luck, hopefully this helps...

jenhillphoto

jenhillphoto
Danbury, CT
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6182354

It may be that your eyelids are oily. My eyelids are very oily. By midday my eyeshadow looks terrible. Recently, I discovered a bare minerals product, bareVitamins Prime Time Eyelid Primer ($16). It works great! If I use that before applying make up, it stays dry (as opposed to oily) and intact, does not smudge all day long. Give it a try. I love this stuff.

http://store.bareescentuals.com/bareVitamins%20Prime%20Time%20Eyelid%20Primer/38891,default,pd.html?cgid=BE_PREP
summerblue
Ambler, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #6364153

You can try having your eyelashes dyed. A friend of mine has it done and it looks great.
lorilea
Justin, TX

April 7, 2009
11:46 AM

Post #6376553

Hi, I stumbled across this post and I thought I would throw my two cents in. I am a cosmetologist and I specialize in skin and hair care. I am also an Avon Representative/beauty consultant. May I suggest applying the mascara in steps. Put a light coat on your lashes the first time and if you need to put a tissue between your lashes and skin after application as to blot the excess. Let that coat dry, then apply a second coat and do the same. If you like the Bare Essentials Mineral Makeup, try Avon's Mineral Makeup. It is less expensive and I love it. Avon has also the Magix Face Perfector. I have tried this product and I would suggest anyone who is in the weather to use it. Feel free to visit my site at www.youravon.com/lteague. I hope this will work for you. Also, if you have a problem with oily skin and are not a teenager, your skin may be dry. Alot of times when our skin lacks moisture, our subaceous glands try to make up for it by producing oil.
JRush
Guilford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6389198

I came across this girl on youtube - She has some good tips for makeup, especially mascara application. Very simple to follow her steps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxhnyBsVI64&feature=channel_page

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beauty and Fashion Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What base foundation do you use? konkreteblond 38 Jul 11, 2008 5:18 PM
Fine hair, help please! IO1 89 Dec 12, 2010 5:00 AM
Not meant to be ? renwings 34 May 13, 2009 10:08 PM
imitation diamond anastatia 12 Jan 8, 2009 7:51 PM
Anyone have a "sure fire" method of fading Sun Spots? DonM47 28 May 27, 2009 2:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America