Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Winter Sowing: Sowing grass seed over snow

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 5, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2006
11:13 PM

Post #2038426

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question but there are no lawn forums.

My cousin lives in York, Maine. She emailed me tonight they are expecting a blizzard. She is going to throw out a bunch of grass seed tonight and then throw more out on top of the snow tomorrow. She hopes that this grass seed will germinate in the spring with no effort. I have my doubts but said I'd ask on Dave's Garden for opinions. I'd hate to see her waste her grass seed doing this as I know it's not cheap.

What do you think? Will grass seed sown in this fashion germinate and grown into a thicker, lusher lawn come spring?

Thanks for all replies.

Brenda
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2006
1:52 AM

Post #2038803

I've heard that before Brenda..I wished I had thought to do that. I did try throwing down some poppy seeds for direct sowing.
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2006
3:22 AM

Post #2039049

If anyone knows that this will work please post!!! I'd love to be able to boost my lawn this way. I have 3 dogs...nuff said.

Personally, I don't think it would work. Each spring I have to replant my lawn because of the dogs. I know if I don't rake it deep enough it's pointless no matter how much seed I spread. Also if the birds find the seed or if we get too much rain too fast the seed is gone...it needs to be covered here.

Maybe it could work tho...if the ground is soggy/muddy enough to accept the seed? Wow, wouldn't that be nice!! I'd be buying up all of Wal-Mart's grass seed in fall every year from now on!
YardenMan
Westerville, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2006
3:41 PM

Post #2039999

Yes, it works. The winter freezing/thawing cycles "work" the seed into the soil. In fact, there are lawn experts who say that winter sowing is the second best time to reseed a lawn - fall is first.
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2006
9:42 PM

Post #2040816

That's strange. The lawn care company I worked for always said that spring was the best time to plant grass seed because of the cool temps and lots of rain. Maybe it depends on the seed and the area of the country you're in? ...or maybe it was because I worked there in spring, LOL.
YardenMan
Westerville, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2006
10:02 PM

Post #2040865

Or maybe if the lawn care company says spring is the best time to sew the seeds, they will drum up some business with some of their customers asking them to sow the seeds for them. Any advice given by a lawn care service needs to be taken with a big grain of salt.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America