-
AuthorContent
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 11, 2001
8:09 PM

Post #8251

Yikes...hope I spelled that right! Looking for this plant, aka Medusa's Head...have suddenly become a 'euphorbia collector'...I'd do my best to come up with something to trade! Have various houseplants including succulents. Thanks!
cactusmcharris
Kamloops, BC
(Zone 4b)

July 11, 2001
8:58 PM

Post #93226

Dear Nan,

There are a number of 'Medusa' euphorbias, so much so that they have their own class in our annual Show here in San Diego. Not being knowledgable about euphorbias doesn't prevent me from asking you this - is it E. capsaintmaiensis you are looking for? If so, I could probably purchase one for you at our meeting this Saturday. All you'd need to pay for is the plant and postage. Of course it would be better for you to find a trade, but if it doesn't work out, email me privately, please.

How's them rascally succulents doin'?

This message was edited Thursday, Jul 12th 11:24 AM
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 12, 2001
4:37 PM

Post #93589

Their own class, huh? Still learning something new all the time...The one I was actually searching for is, in all references I've used, named E. Caput medusae...the original Medusa's Head, I guess? But...after viewing pics of capsaintmariensis...it is strongly similar...I'm not real knowledgeable in Euphorbias, myself, but have found many that appeal to the eye...strange, bizarre, intricate, architectural forms...
I'll email, then.
OH, the succulents are fantastic, to say the least! Never lost a single one - your advice for misting (to root) works like a dream, each and every time!! And again, I thank you from the bottom 'o my plant collecting heart!
Dorstenia
Newberry, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2001
1:39 AM

Post #103180

I have both E. capsaintmariensis and the E. Medusa's head and they are very different plants. The Medusa's Head doesn't have much of a leaf, mainly just stems coming off the main round body and it does look very much like snakes LOL. They are hard to find, as they are fairly slow to grow and produce offsets.
JonD

July 31, 2001
9:29 PM

Post #103642

Medusa's head has the odd problem that if arms are rooted they grow in reverse to the plant's natural growth habit of a main fat body with long spreading arms. To get a natural plant you have to first root the arms and then root the short stubby branches that come off of it. This is all from reading--I haven't actually tried it. You can purchase this and related species from some of the large euphorbia suppliers like Arid Lands. If you buy from a less sophisticated grower you are likely to get the reverse version.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2001
1:05 PM

Post #106347

I have some like the one JonD is describing, after being rooted, it seems to grow in opposite direction amd sure looks like snakes to me, and it blooms at night. I would be glad to share..E-mail me.
Larkie
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

August 6, 2001
3:02 PM

Post #106406

With all of the above advise, I'm starting to root 8 now. I found one in a Nursery with arms that already has heads with arms coming out. The advise of this formum tells me to cut back as far as the main body, let dry and sink into dry soil, leaving about an inch below the head above the soil line. These are to be shared. Crasulady
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

August 7, 2001
1:48 AM

Post #106682

NAN, My E. caput medusa has stems the size of a pencil and 4" long. The are forming heads on the ends of these stems. I hope this is the species that you are looking. Jon I think it is the old fashioned form. Would you please give some input, I know next to nothing about Euphorbia, I am trying to find a picture in one of my old catalogues, I haven't looked in Jacobsenson's book yet. Crasulady
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

August 9, 2001
11:42 PM

Post #108221

Nan, I have the one you want, it went into the mail today. Good luck in rooting the plant. It may have a wee bit of root on it already. Norma
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2001
5:38 PM

Post #108608

Thanks so much Norma! It's unanimous, you know...you're a sweetheart! I can't wait to get my hands on it! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America