Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-South Gardening: Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum!

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 72, Views: 484
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2006
1:53 PM

Post #2042098

No hard-and-fast boundaries; if you think you live in the mid-south area of the U.S., feel free to join in!
LulaLu
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2006
2:06 PM

Post #2042126

I am really happy to see a Mid-south forum. I think a regional forum could really be helpful.

It is still winter here, but crocus are coming up. There are no blooms yet, but it's good to see the foliage peeping up. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. I have always considered that day to be the beginning of the end of winter. We will still have winter, but more and more warmer days.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2006
2:32 PM

Post #2042176

Wonderful!!! NOW I have a regional forum I fit in! YES!!! Thanks, Dave!!
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2006
2:39 PM

Post #2042190

Thanks Dave and Terry! :~)))
Nikkal
Memphis, TN
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2006
2:53 PM

Post #2042215

Had to come out of lurkdom for this one! I'm so glad to see a region-specific forum for our area - thanks!!

SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2006
3:47 PM

Post #2042331

Thanks to all those that made the Mid-South Forum possible, especially Terry and Dave!!!
dhester
Brighton, TN

February 13, 2006
4:04 PM

Post #2042363

YAY! Many thanks for the forum of neighboring friends!

d
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2006
5:25 PM

Post #2042489

good i think oklahoma. should be in to..
tazzy
Sand Springs, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2006
6:05 PM

Post #2042554

where do the south start ?LOL
dhester
Brighton, TN

February 13, 2006
6:07 PM

Post #2042559

I believe the south is friendly enough to call anyone from anywhere one of their own *L
LulaLu
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2006
10:06 PM

Post #2042950

Tulsa is Southern. I ate breakfast there and was served grits.

I think most of us are in zone 7 or 8. We might have snow, but don't really expect it. Our fall color is in November. Springs are usually wet and summers are hot and humid. Our frost day is the middle of April. I know this isn't true for everybody, but that is pretty much how it is here where I live.
gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2006
12:00 AM

Post #2043209

I, for one, would like to thank BUTTERFLYCHASER for starting the original request thread!!!!!!!!!!

You're the GREATEST, NancyAnn!!!!!
Gail
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2006
6:35 PM

Post #2053881

Sorry 'you all' I've been in bed sick but am on the upswing... still not mentally capable of posting much so I'm lurking.

However I notice ButterflyChaser isn't posting. Anyone know anything?

Judy
gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2006
9:07 PM

Post #2054238

Sorry you're sick, Judy. I hope you're feeling better soon.

BC's been working in her yard, I know, and helping care for her brother who had some minor surgery Friday. He's probably "ringing a bell" right now! LOL Like most of you, we've had temps in the upper 60's recently and she's been trying to get a head start on some stuff. Of course, today, it's in the upper 20's! Booshie, booshie! (Anybody here ever hear that phrase? LOL)
Gail

This message was edited Feb 18, 2006 4:08 PM
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2006
12:18 AM

Post #2054580

I am delighted to have this new forum. Thanks to everyone responsible.

We have buttercups and crocus blooming in our garden right now and I don't expect this cold snap to hurt them. I am really glad to get a bit of cold now in order to stop other things from emerging that don't need to come up yet. I noticed some iris at our church that are almost ready to open their blooms. I wonder how they will be affected by this latest cold we are having now.
springinalabama
Clanton, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2006
10:10 PM

Post #2117295

Hi all. I just joined Dave's site a few days ago and am having a great time so far. Not sure if I qualify for the mid south or am I the deep south? Anyway didn't see a forum for that anyway, so you guys are stuck with me I guess. Lol. I, for one, can't wait for this little cold snap we're having here in
Alabama to get over with so the warm weather will come back. I sure feel like spring is really here after this. Hope so anyway because I have planted too many things to cover with my body if it freezes. lol.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2006
10:43 PM

Post #2117383

Hello Springinalabama... Welcome to the Mid South group. What are your favorite plants?
I am really getting itchy fingers to start planting. I am still at the looking out the window and planning for Spring stage.

Betty
springinalabama
Clanton, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2006
12:39 AM

Post #2117574

Hi Betty. I have already started visiting the garden centers and we have one nursery that never closes down for the winter. Bless their hearts. So I have already been enticed to buy and plant. Hope it doesn't frost. I love everything. Hard to say what I like the most. I guess it would be fragrant plants of all kinds, whether it be the flowers or foliage like geraniums, brugs, gardenia. But then I pretty much love most kinds of perennials too like phlox, daisies and lilies. What do you like?
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2006
1:12 AM

Post #2117628

I love the Brugs, Daturas and anything fragrant. I have so many plants that don't like my zone. Each year I say that I am going to have more perennial things. I have added some perennials, but have added more tropical plants too. LOL
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2006
11:42 AM

Post #2120518

Picabo - you and me too! I have a bunch of tropicals that I winter over in my garage...my bad habit of not watering them on a regular basis (I hate going into a cold garage in frigid temps) is what kills some of them!!

We go to Destin about every other year and I've found a great garden center down there between Destin and Panama City with bunches of tropicals and perennials. On our honeymoon trip back in 2003, my new husband couldnot believe I was going to bring back a cardboard box in the back seat filled with plants! LOL...he didn't know what he was getting in to when he married me!

I love Angels Trumpets, but also I have Fire Spike, which produces red, waxy, tubular flowers that hummers love! Also Cape Honeysuckle, which is different than our local varities, and hummers love them too...I usually try to buy what attracts hummers...speaking of which, have you seen any in our zone yet?
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2006
12:00 PM

Post #2120543

No hummers yet. I just cleaned out one of my feeders this week. It is ready to go but I won't fill it until the first of April unless I see them sooner.

I don't remember seeing the the Fire Spike. I also like the things that attract the hummers and butterflies.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2006
12:35 PM

Post #2120597

Picabo and babybluesintn, the three of us need to get together and do some plant swapping after everything comes back to life since we are all three in the Nashville area,

Why don't the two of you think about coming to the KY Roundup this fall since it the closest one in our area? Check it out in the Roundup Forum. Also look at the Knoxville Area Plant swap. ( I can't remember the exact name of that one.) I have plans to attend both.

Terry, it would be nice if you could attend those also. I would love seeing you again.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2006
3:20 PM

Post #2120834

Elena I still have PLENTY of those Horse Tail Rush if you still want some. Things are begining to come up. A get togeather would be fun.

Are you going to the Garden show in Franklin??
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2006
6:42 PM

Post #2121274

Let's do play a get together once we know what plants have made it through the winter and what we have to share.

Yes, I would still like the Rush. Thank you for remembering that. No, I am not getting to any of the shows this year. I have just had too much going on in my life to get away. Now that things have slowed down a bit, I have an unbelievable amount of work to do in the yard before I dare let anyone see it. Thank goodness for solid wooden fences, huh? LOL! It has just been one of those years when taking proper care of what I do have must take precedance over anything else. Everything seems to need weeding, fixing or painting at this point and I simply must do it before I even dream of doing anything new.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2006
8:14 PM

Post #2121431

I know the feeling. I am one of those "What Ever Will Be" Gardeners. I would love to have everything weed free, but know it isn't going to happen anymore. I am toooo old, too stiff and have way to many plants to keep weeded. LOL

This message was edited Mar 18, 2006 6:05 PM
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2006
10:25 PM

Post #2121634

The weeding and the watering is quite a job, isn't it? It has taken me a long time to talk myself into slowing down but I simply must! I will be 70 in July and hubby will be 75 in Sept. We can't keep increasing our work! I am saying it loudly and clearly. Now I just have to believe it!!!!!! LOL! I rotate in the different beds when I am weeding but the spring creeping weeds are the toughest, especially when they have had a mild winter to take over the beds. Mulch helps after the annuals have re-seeded and all the perennials are up though.
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2006
2:36 AM

Post #2124289

Elena - Thanks for the offer to get together..sounds like a plan! I have been so busy with work lately that I haven't had time to do any yardwork until last Thursday when it was so pretty. I pulled up 3 large trash bags of those purple weed flowers and wild onions that were messing up my newly-planted flower beds! Talk about sore and stiff! Man, am I out of shape!

I don't know anything about the plant swaps and the Ky thing you mentioned. I'll have to read up on them...I haven't been on Dave's that long and I haven't explored all the things there are available. Maybe you guys can enlighten me!

I have a few things coming up that I planted last fall--we just bought this house last summer so I am starting all my beds and garden rooms from scratch. I have lots of bulbs blooming and daylilies but I haven't had time to plant much else. Maybe I can share next year!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2006
3:01 AM

Post #2124404

Didn't those awful purple weeds get a head start on us this year? My beds are full of them, the onions and the awful wild violets. I have to trim back my roses and butterfly bushes before I can even think of weeding those beds though. Gee! What a lot of work I have looming ahead of me!

Babyblues, it is never necessary to bring plants when you attend a get together. We have all be in the "starting stage" at some point in our lives and are always delighted to help another gardener add to their plant collection. The Roundups are just for fun and getting together with fellow gardeners. Lots of folks don't have plants to bring but others like me are always delighted to share plants with them.

Concerning the KY Roundup...Look up this thread: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/582759/ That is thread two.
There is a link there to the first thread so you can read it also and get a little idea of what is going on at this time.
pepsigal
Antioch, TN
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2006
12:13 AM

Post #2166975

Hi y'all...just wondering if you think we might have anymore cold snaps? i started planting some of my annuals that i wintered-over in the garage...any guesses???
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2006
2:43 AM

Post #2167412

Hi Pepsigal,

I would be careful, and keep covers close by. Usually our frost free date is April 15, but we had a killing frost on the 29 of April last year. I have things out but ready to cover or heat when needed.

You must be a Pepsi drinker. I love my Diet Pepsi.

Betty
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2006
3:29 AM

Post #2167668

Picabo is right on target with the 15th usual last frost date. You need to always be prepared to protect them in case of a freeky unexpected frost. I am just dying to buy my bedding plants. I have a hard time resisting once we get this close to the safe time.
pepsigal
Antioch, TN
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2006
3:08 PM

Post #2168447

OK...shesh...have put my houseplants out already too...hey...i love brugs ..in particular a red one. I have ordered them from catalogs but they always die..anyone have a red variety? i have a white and yellow one if anyone wants to trade..and they do come back in nashville if planted in the ground.
Oh..Picabo..yes i am crazy about pepsi(pepsi and brugs but brug was already taken as a name)
i just bought this house last summer so i have to re-plant all of my favorite plants...this last home-owner put the foundation plants too close so i have a big chore to do this spring! anyone want some rose bushes?? i have two ..not real crazy about any plants that bite back. They arent real big..oh and anyone know anything about grapes? last owner has some grape vines planted (too close to the house) i have two vines ..different kinds but i dont know what. any help on that would be great...guess i have babbled on enough..april showers..
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2006
6:57 PM

Post #2168986

Hi Pepsie, Sorta bad news here, I am just full of it aren't I. LOL

I don't think that the red Brugs will live here. I have been told that we get toooooo hot. Someone else may give you some better news.

I have tried leaving my brugs in the ground over winter and always lose them. I haven't checked the ones that I left last year I mulched them a little deeper. I have a pretty pink that I can give you a start of.

Betty
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2006
12:48 PM

Post #2170818

Hey Pepsigal - Welcome to this forum--seems to be alot of middle-Tennesseans on it!

I didn't think brugs overwintered in our zone either...did you actually have one that made it thru the winter? I am always trying to push a zone on a plant if possible...I planted a gardenia bush one year that overwintered fine.

I have found that the nursery on Dickerson Rd. near Summit Hospital and I-65 has brugs...I haven't seen anyone else have them. Now Bates Nursery might have them--they are out off Brick Church Pike at the UPS exit off the new Briley Pkwy west. You can get on their website and do a search and it will show what they have available if any.

My brug is a large pink...it is still in the garage...its too big to lug in and out. I already ruined my Firespike by bringing it out too early and leaving it out! It will come back but it sure is frost-burned.
Karen

Thumbnail by babybluesntn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pepsigal
Antioch, TN
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2006
1:08 PM

Post #2170864

Hey Babybluesntn- Yes i would love a pink...ok..let me say my last house was in kingston springs and all of my brugs came back every year..will see how they do in antioch...they came back bushy and about 7 foot tall..looked like it was taking over the corner of my front yard. It died back to the ground every year but still came back.
And yes i have been to Bates but i hadn't looked for brugs..bates has sooo many different plants i am always overwhelmed...and they are so expensive..do you know the name of that nursery on dickerson? i hardly ever go near dickerson rd so dont know what's over there.

Gail
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2006
2:36 PM

Post #2171136

Hi, Gail
Do you grow daylilies too? BabyblueTN and I are members of the MTDS. I am glad to see some folks posting that are fairly close to me. Not many from southcentral KY yet. I live west of Bowling Green.
pepsigal
Antioch, TN
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2006
3:28 PM

Post #2171312

Hi Bluegrassmom- i didnt have any at my last house but this house i have some but dont know yet what colors i have..you know of any or have any that are fragrant?
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2006
1:02 AM

Post #2172610

Pepsigal - I can't believe that you got brugs to overwinter here!!!! Now I'm excited...I'll have to try it!

Yes, Bates is high...I only buy special items there that I can't get elsewhere.

To get to the Dickerson Rd. nursery, come north on I-65 and exit at Dickerson Rd. then turn back to your left like you're going to Summit Hospital. Continue past the hospital for about a mile and the nursery will be on your right. They have good prices and a good selection.

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2006
1:13 AM

Post #2172644

That is a "great" little nursery. I have found so many "treasures" there.

John Deer Nursery in Franklin is another nice nursery. They usually have Brugs. They never know the name and are high unless you catch a sale. LOL

There is another great one in Mt Juliet on Hgh. 70, Can't think of the name
right now. In fact there are three close together. Makes a nice trip to hit them all.
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2006
12:37 PM

Post #2173479

Yes, Picabo, I've been to those in Mt. Juliet too...I think one of them is Mincheys. The one that is closest to the Hwy 70/Hwy 109 intersection has a good selection too and good pottery.

I'm going to hit the Farmers Market next week...all their vendors should have their spring shipments in...I discovered them about four years ago. I love buying tropical plants there. And if you aren't looking for a specific rose, they have good deals on 3' tall rose bushes for around $8...lots of ferns and bedding plants too.

The John Deere Nursery in Franklin used to have another name, which escapes me right now. I do remember seeing a full grown brug there years ago...I think that's when I fell in love with them and had to have one! John Deere took over a new nursery in Gallatin a few years ago and it isn't much now except trees and landscape bushes for landscape contractors. Long Hollow Pike Nursery is expanding but their prices are high. Like most of you I'm sure, I've hit every nursery around here!
pepsigal
Antioch, TN
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2006
2:05 PM

Post #2173624

Hey Babybluesntn- how did you do in the tornado last night? guess you managed to hold onto your computer!!
Yep, i vacationed in Germany several years ago and there were brugs everywhere and germany has tons of snow in the winter! I just plant them deep and mulch very heavy..the one i have here is against the neighbors house so it's sheltered.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2006
9:45 PM

Post #2174552

Marrowbone Farm is another fun one. They are in Ashland City. They have a great selection, a little bit of everything. Real nice people and a treat to visit. They just had their Big spring sale last week and I missed it. They can be hard to catch at the greenhouses but if you find them it is a treat.

The one in Franklin used to be Flower Power. I have shopped there for more years than I want to think about. LOL

Pepsie... we were in the same part of town before you moved. I live off of McCrory Lane in the Bellevue area.

Outlaw
Spartanburg, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2006
12:16 PM

Post #2189304

Good morning from what I call the foothills of lower podunk South Carolina. As a 7b, I reckon I fit mid-south, but I'm not sure you should call me a gardener.

I'm new to a gardening forum and, though I've lived in this house for 30 years, new to gardening on purpose. I've pitched some flowering stuff at the yard here and there over the years and what ever is still growing is thanks to the care of the universe more than mine. I finally gave up on all but rugosas when I realized I must the the world's most horrid gardener and a considerable expense of roses faltered under my less than precise care. The fact the Chelsea Morning remains true to form and still presents me with her smallish roses is a miracle I credit to my husband smiling down at me a couple times a year. Ditch lillies and my rescued Stella d'Oro's do well up front as does the Wild Blackberry and ubiquitous Kudzu that reigns supreme in what I call the back 40 of my little 1 1/2 acre plot of bumpy, hard packed, rock strew clay.

Previous to 1972 I was a coastal California gal used to things blooming all year long and houseplants that were outdoor plants who managed to get herself hitched to a sweet, shy southern boy who transplanted me when his tour with Uncle Sam was complete and I've never looked back. We raised 2 kids and began on one grandmonkey (my nickname for our only grandchild who is now a precocious pre-teen) here. Other than the summers and missing his sweet smile, I love my little blue collar subdivision plunked in the middle of a cow pasture in the boonies.

I look forward to learning something how to garden on purpose as I read through this forum. Darned red clay and rocks make it challenging to say the least. I should doubtless take up pottery and rock art instead of attempting purposeful gardening.

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2006
12:38 PM

Post #2189345

Welcome Outlaw. Your lot sounds like mine. I am on a hill and have to drag in truckloads (pickup truck) of soil every year just trying to keep some dirt in my yard. My theory is if you set out enough plants your dirt can't wash away. LOL I am trying to get enough. Haven't made it yet.

You will learn so much here, and I am sure you will find lots of good friends to share you days.

Betty
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2006
11:59 PM

Post #2201085

Hi there, Outlaw !!! Won't ask how you came about that username .LOL. Welcome to gardening. Folks here sure can help you out . Just ask any ole question. I've found out that nothing is too "dumb" . If you don't know it, then someone here is bound to and sure will try to help you with suggestions. There are forums for just about everything. If I join any more of them I will have to get a divorce just to have time to spend reading all the posts. Sure have learned a lot from everyone and every now and then I throw my two bits in there and shoot my mouth off. Folks know I don't know what I'm talking about, but they let me rant on anyway !

Half of us are old and broken down in one way or another. Maybe that is why we bond ! Some day my hubby is gonna come home and find me on the ground all burned to a crisp cause I couldn't get up after I fall. I live too far from my neighbors to hollar for help, so I have to wait for him unless I can train 'Elvis', my doggie companion to drag me back to the house. Why is it that I waited till I was all old and crippled to get interested in doing something that involves getting on my
knees????

Jump in there with comments again soon !

Libby
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2006
7:37 PM

Post #2206011

I started a thread in Iris about a tour to Iris City Gardens. Anyone interested here?
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2006
12:17 AM

Post #2206723

Holding up my hand in Nashville. When do you want to go?

It is a great place to visit. Beautiful Iris, plants and nice owners. There is also Morning Glory Farm just down the road and a Nice Wild flower nursery (I can't think of the name of it right now. Maybe GroWild??)

There is another nursery in the same area that I have heard good things about but never been there.

Betty
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2006
1:59 AM

Post #2207008

Betty, my sister is out of town this week. She will go too. I can dmail you about a date.
Teresa
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2006
3:04 AM

Post #2207248

Sounds Fun

Betty
pepsigal
Antioch, TN
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2006
5:36 PM

Post #2211265

i would love to go ..but i can't go on the weekend..have to work...if you go on a wed or thurs i can...(sob!)
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2006
7:28 PM

Post #2211516

Wed. is hard for me but can be done. Thursday would work for me.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2006
11:28 AM

Post #2213208

I called again ICGardens again. The TB is out early. Next week is peak bloom season for them. Thursday might work. I will post later tonight.
pepsigal
Antioch, TN
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2006
5:41 PM

Post #2214006

Has anyone in the nashville area seen any hummers yet?
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2006
6:41 PM

Post #2214171

Not yet ...but there are lots of beautiful butterflies around now.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2006
9:48 PM

Post #2214561

I have had a couple. Just refilled the feeder. It is so funny to see them waiting for you. I have mine on my kitchen window sill.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2006
10:05 PM

Post #2214600

The honeysuckle that they frequent the most was attacked by aphids and is in sad shape. We had to spray it so it won't be back in good shape for a couple of weeks. That is where I usually look for them first. The other plants that they like the most haven't bloomed yet so it may be a while before I see them. I am looking however.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2006
3:12 PM

Post #2223114

I had one here this weekend, trying his mightiest to get something out of my heuchera flowers. Poor little guy! I need to get the feeder down, clean it out good, let it dry and re-fill it.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2006
3:28 PM

Post #2223153

I am not sure of the time, but my sister and I are coming down to Iris City Gardens on Thursday morning. Guess what? They just sent me a $5.00 coupon off an order of $25.00. I think I will be using it!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2007
1:40 PM

Post #3462548

Hi there,

Is Oklahoma posting in this forum?

:-) KM

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 4, 2007
2:09 PM

Post #3462631

If they want to they sure do--WELCOME
Sandra
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2007
2:50 PM

Post #3462757

We have honorary midsouth forum members from all over. Even KashtanGeorge the Russian posts here. And Ginger the Aussie. So you go for it Karen!

carol
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2007
2:52 PM

Post #3462764

We like to have folks from all over, it creates an interesting group. Welcome! Where is Kell anyway? He has'nt been around in a long time.

Loretta
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2007
3:00 PM

Post #3462786

He's broadening his horizons and posting his guessing games over on the Antique and Collectible forums. http://davesgarden.com/place/t/717606/

carol
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2007
3:01 PM

Post #3462789

Well, thanks, everyone! :-)

I just showered, so I thought it might at least
get me in the door.

;-)

justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2007
3:08 PM

Post #3462813

ROFLMAO...in that case, they'll be kicking me out the door any minute now. I am covered in muc from post rain weeding.

carol

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 4, 2007
3:26 PM

Post #3462865

See this new post about the round up on may 5th

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/719697/
Sandra
Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2008
4:47 AM

Post #5075028

greeting:
hope43 ,tazzy and everyone else. I was starting to wonder if I fit into a group. I love DGers. brb
pfllh
Prattville, AL

June 9, 2008
9:58 AM

Post #5075402

Another central Alabama gardener here. Haven't posted on this forum before, just read the posts.
What nursery is between Destin and Panama City? Sprininalabama, what nursery is open all year? Petals from the Past?
I have different flower beds. The birds like to plant beauty berry and butterfly bushes for me and sweet autumn clematis. Makes things easy for the swaps. Last one was at my house.
Don't know what a favorite plant would be as I always like to try something new, even tropicals.
Have a wonderful spring and lots of plants!
Lynn

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2008
12:45 PM

Post #5075835

Good morning Lynn, like many I love all types of plants. Glad to see more neighboring Alabamians on DG. Hello everyone.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

catspower
Pangburn, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5105115

Well, hi there Pughbear7. I hope all your plants are doing well. I, too, love DG. Since I broke my wrist last week, its been a challenge to dig and package plants to trade. I swore I'm changing my middle name to Klutz! I put a plastic bag over the cast and hold it in place with a rubber band. It keeps the dirt out but gets really sweaty.
Cathy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5105485

Cathy, wishing you a speedy recovery! Ouch that hursts!
Kim
rosmarster
Greensboro, NC

June 19, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #5129063

I'm new to Dave's Garden, and excited to see a forum for people in my general region. I recently moved to North Carolina from California, and I am finding gardening here to be VERY different. Plants that loved the heat in California apparently don't love the humidity in NC. But I'm learning. And there are some beautiful plants that are happy here.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2008
8:48 PM

Post #5129101

Welcome rosmarster to the Southern States, where the women are strong, the men are good looking, the kids are above average...and the plants...blooms almost year round. lol.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM
Hardy Kiwi djballington 11 Dec 5, 2007 7:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America