Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Winter Sowing: A WS Idea

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 4, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Candy
Corinth, NY
(Zone 4b)

February 13, 2006
10:16 PM

Post #2042964

I bought a set a sheets, which came in a plastic zippered bag, and decided to keep it for "just in case". Well I had a six compartment flat deep enough for winter sowing. I filled up the compartments, checked the drainage, put in the seeds, and then got two pieces of wood to keep the tent up. Zipped up the plastic storage in (also with drainage and vent holes), and outside it went. My husband laughed and said "Aint you slick!" LOL! So if you have any saved, for the "just in case". There is an idea for you.
Candy
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2006
10:48 PM

Post #2043021

I was thinking of using those plastic cases too. I think they would work just fine for my roasting pans full of seeds-- as long as they were vented for transpiration and drainage. Somebody on GW is using them, too.

Seems like a good use for those cases--never quite knew what to do with them, but they were too good to throw out!

Is it necessary to make tents to hold up the plastic? I saw a pic on Trudi's website of roasting pans tied flat in garbage bags... I suppose though, once the seedlings got a little big they would need more room...?
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2006
10:56 PM

Post #2043034

I use them to root cuttings sometimes - works great if you remember to unzip them every other day or so.
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2006
11:15 PM

Post #2043081

how do you guys come up with this stuff?? I love it!
Candy
Corinth, NY
(Zone 4b)

February 13, 2006
11:53 PM

Post #2043198

I dont know how I came up with the idea. Just kinda popped in my head. As for the tent idea, I was afraid that the flat was too tall, and the weight of the snow (if we get any), would be to much. I dont know if it is really needed, but I think I saw or read somewhere that someone did it that way.
Candy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America